• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steep increases in maintenance fees in 2024 and more anticipated next year due to new Florida laws regarding condos.
Great points...This is why we moved from grand vista to willow ridge.

Thanks for keeping the rofr info updated. I reviewed it before we purchased & knew a EOY had a good chance of passing.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
it is a great resource but it could be better. The easy thing going forward would be to give instructions on the entry page to include closing costs and any fees as part of the price listed. For high end options it isn't a big deal but it's make or break for things like GC, WR, GV, HL, etc.
You are 100 percent correct that total cost is very important with the lower priced resorts and especially for EOY’s. There are two dynamics going on, passing ROFR and paying the least amount including all other items to get the first use year. I just purchased an EOY even 3 br GC. I paid 1500 which is in ROFR. I paid escrow fee, transfer fee, recording fee and fee to closing company. This would be relatively consistent across GC purchases. The big difference maker is what MF gets reimbursed to the seller and for the first use year. I paid 2024 MF and I am getting 2024 use. I would not have done this deal any other way. My cost all in was 3300, more than 100 percent about what is in ROFR. Though I would not do this deal, they could have asked for both 2023 & 2024 MF for me to get 2024 use. The seller could have kept 2024/ and use could have started in 2026. Personally, I care about the all in price and justify the purchase by considering the MF of the trades I will go after the first use year and likely get, plus trading costs to get it. If I get a 2 br GO and 2 br Aruba Surf in 2025, places I will go in 2025, I look at this as a 1 year break even.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are 100 percent correct that total cost is very important with the lower priced resorts and especially for EOY’s. There are two dynamics going on, passing ROFR and paying the least amount including all other items to get the first use year. I just purchased an EOY even 3 br GC. I paid 1500 which is in ROFR. I paid escrow fee, transfer fee, recording fee and fee to closing company. This would be relatively consistent across GC purchases. The big difference maker is what MF gets reimbursed to the seller and for the first use year. I paid 2024 MF and I am getting 2024 use. I would not have done this deal any other way. My cost all in was 3300, more than 100 percent about what is in ROFR. Though I would not do this deal, they could have asked for both 2023 & 2024 MF for me to get 2024 use. The seller could have kept 2024/ and use could have started in 2026. Personally, I care about the all in price and justify the purchase by considering the MF of the trades I will go after the first use year and likely get, plus trading costs to get it. If I get a 2 br GO and 2 br Aruba Surf in 2025, places I will go in 2025, I look at this as a 1 year break even.
I would never pay the previous years fees on an EOY and often that first year's week, and even the next in some cases, tend to have a reduced value due to lack of lead time and frequently inability to get the week desired. The way I interpret it is the fees for an EOY is that year and the next, not the preceding year's fees.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I would never pay the previous years fees on an EOY and often that first year's week, and even the next in some cases, tend to have a reduced value due to lack of lead time and frequently inability to get the week desired. The way I interpret it is the fees for an EOY is that year and the next, not the preceding year's fees.
I agree but some owners believe that if you use an EOY the full MF should be paid. The point isn't if you or I would do this. The point is one doesn't know what the new buyer did when reporting ROFR.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree but some owners believe that if you use an EOY the full MF should be paid. The point isn't if you or I would do this. The point is one doesn't know what the new buyer did when reporting ROFR.
Since I know that the fees for an EOY are that year and the next, I'd only agree to such an options for a deal that was screaming overall. It would be illegal in most states to submit ROFR different than the actual agreement but I do know it is done.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess there are different views on this, but for our EOY week we pay 50% of full week MFs every year.
So for a resale, I would only expect a buyer to pay the 50% not the 100%?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
I guess there are different views on this, but for our EOY week we pay 50% of full week MFs every year.
So for a resale, I would only expect a buyer to pay the 50% not the 100%?
Depends on if you get 100% of the EOY points.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on if you get 100% of the EOY points.
You do not get points on a resale, only if you buy resale or pay to enroll a week with an additional retail purchase. Abound points would be tied to the week so it the EOY week was eligible for points and you had not passed the election window, you'd get the full points regardless of what fees one paid. If one were buying an EOY week retail ,say this year for an odd year week (next week in 2025), you'd pay no fees this year and then half fees in 2025 & 2026. I am not aware of an EOY points package.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Please direct me to the most current list/ sheet of ROFR by property/ size/ season. I see a chart at the beginning of the thread that has a date of 2015…that’s not “it” as of May ‘24 is it??

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please direct me to the most current list/ sheet of ROFR by property/ size/ season. I see a chart at the beginning of the thread that has a date of 2015…that’s not “it” as of May ‘24 is it??

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not sure which list you are looking at, but with
entering Marriott
I get 2024 data (and strangely one showing 2025?!)

IMG_4486.jpeg

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

jadejar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Morritt’s Tortuga, Morritt’s Seaside, Royal Dunes, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Grande Ocean, Moon Palace
I just lost a 3 bedroom platinum ocean vista week at Marriott Surfwatch to ROFR at $22,000. Looks like Marriott is being aggressive lately. I was really hoping it would pass.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just lost a 3 bedroom platinum ocean vista week at Marriott Surfwatch to ROFR at $22,000. Looks like Marriott is being aggressive lately. I was really hoping it would pass.
For a 3 BR OV I couldn't imagine that would go through in today's environment.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a Marriott Grande Ocean platinum OV ROFR at $21250 plus closing cost.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Seems a TON of high-value weeks (which have lower MF/point ratios) are failing ROFR now - doesn't that bode well for the trust maintenance fee calculations?

1715353305843.png