• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reservation cancelled by a Wyndham owner?

antjmar

Reaction score
Since I posted this on the TUG, the situation is making good progress ....

The owner has offered two options: re-book the reservation at a different Wyndham resort for the same dates (which was not available yesterday), or book it through a Wyndham extra holiday website. We opted for the 2ed option.

Someone has asked for the name of the owner, we are not going to. However, if you are experiencing same problem, feel free to contact me privately.

It was stressful, but has been resolved. I want to thank everyone on TUG who helped me to resolve the issue, So we are moving on to plan our 1st 2-week Hawaii trip.

Thanks again TUGGERS!
He /she should have offered this solution before you had to post here.:annoyed:
The fact the you had to post here before they gave you something you already paid for doesnt make me feel like I'd want to rent from them.
Please PM the name.
Thank you

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I'm a believer that names should be named whether the experience is good or bad.

However in the case of the bad I would wait until the problem has been resolved one way or the other.

It's in all or our best interest to know who is playing games and who is on the up and up but I would wait until I got my refund or took my vacation. No sense upsetting someone and having them stick it to you one more time.

How in the world does Wyndham or any other company give you a confirmation if the fees associated to get that reservation have not already been paid?Makes it a little scary to make plans after renting and getting a confirmation.

antjmar

Reaction score
I'm a believer that names should be named whether the experience is good or bad.

How in the world does Wyndham or any other company give you a confirmation if the fees associated to get that reservation have not already been paid?Makes it a little scary to make plans after renting and getting a confirmation.

I agree 100%

Wyndham gave the confirmation in January.

Perhaps they owner didnt pay his MF for a few months?
Perhaps the owner was trying to cancel and rebook and lost it???
They arent saying so we can only guess...

JoyC

TUG Member
Reaction score

csxjohn, I agreed 100%. We called the Wyndham in January when we received the Guest Cert. to verify, they confirmed the reservation.
But when we were told reservation was cancelled, we called the Wyndham and they won't provide any information due to some privacy law. We got no help from Wyndham even though we still had the confirmed Guest Cert. If the renter did not notify us, we would be in for a big shock at check-in in Hawaii in May.

I will be hesitant to rent again from Wyndham system. This is what I learned from this experience.

Below is the link to the Wyndham extra holiday rental site, which runs the timeshare rental business like hotel reservations. We rebooked our Hawaii reservation through them and I can sleep better at night.

http://www.extraholidays.com/

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%

Wyndham gave the confirmation in January.

Perhaps they owner didnt pay his MF for a few months?
Perhaps the owner was trying to cancel and rebook and lost it???
They arent saying so we can only guess...

If the guest certificate was already on there, they wouldn't have canceled and rebooked. Why would they pay for it twice. The one thing to remember you should be able to verify your name is on a reservation at the front desk of the resort 2 days after it is put in. I have my renters do it all the time and never have issues.

Jason

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score

csxjohn, I agreed 100%. We called the Wyndham in January when we received the Guest Cert. to verify, they confirmed the reservation.
But when we were told reservation was cancelled, we called the Wyndham and they won't provide any information due to some privacy law. We got no help from Wyndham even though we still had the confirmed Guest Cert. If the renter did not notify us, we would be in for a big shock at check-in in Hawaii in May.

I will be hesitant to rent again from Wyndham system. This is what I learned from this experience.

Below is the link to the Wyndham extra holiday rental site, which runs the timeshare rental business like hotel reservations. We rebooked our Hawaii reservation through them and I can sleep better at night.

http://www.extraholidays.com/

How did your prices compare renting from EH vs private owner? I would think there would be at least a 30% - 40% premium on the EH reservation.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the guest certificate was already on there, they wouldn't have canceled and rebooked. Why would they pay for it twice. The one thing to remember you should be able to verify your name is on a reservation at the front desk of the resort 2 days after it is put in. I have my renters do it all the time and never have issues.

Jason

2 days or more

antjmar

Reaction score
If the guest certificate was already on there, they wouldn't have canceled and rebooked. Why would they pay for it twice.
Jason

Jason I understand that would have wasted a guest certificate. Perhaps they dont use their free ones anyway so he/ she didnt care.

I dont recall seeing ANYONE recently complain here that wyndham cancelled several of their reservations for no reason...:ponder:

The OP stated that wyndham told her that the reservation was cancelled they didn't tell her by who...

If that had happened to me I'd be very upset and complain here about it. but the person who rented to her is remaining silent for some reason.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thheath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jason I understand that would have wasted a guest certificate. Perhaps they dont use their free ones anyway so he/ she didnt care.

I dont recall seeing ANYONE recently complain here that wyndham cancelled several of their reservations for no reason...:ponder:

The OP stated that wyndham told her that the reservation was cancelled they didn't tell her by who...

If that had happened to me I'd be very upset and complain here abou it. but the renter is remaining silent for some reason.. :rolleyes:

Considering the OP was almost screwed out of her Hawaiian vacation once, I'd say she doesn't want to rock the boat and go there again.

antjmar

Reaction score
Considering the OP was almost screwed out of her Hawaiian vacation once, I'd say she doesn't want to rock the boat and go there again.

The OP is active in this thread. I made a typo. I meant the person who rented to her.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
But to the Wyndham faithfull ?

OP's Rentor either:

• Did not pay the maintenance fee and lost the reservation ?
  • Tried the cancel rebook game to lower their expense and lost ?
Any other possible explanations for Wyndham cancelling a valid reservation ?

Can't see any reason not to expose someone who engages In either business practice after accepting a cash deposit/payment for a reservation

Last edited:

lcml11

Reaction score
But to the Wyndham faithfull ?

OP's Rentor either:

• Did not pay the maintenance fee and lost the reservation ?
  • Tried the cancel rebook game to lower their expense and lost ?

Can't see any reason not to expose someone who engages I either business practice after accepting a cash deposit/payment for a reservation

I have heard from at least one Mega Rentor that rents on others behalf that if the owner cancels the reservation after the reservation is made there is nothing they can do with that. This person indicated that that was a common problem in the rental business.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard from at least one Mega Rentor that rents on others behalf that if the owner cancels the reservation after the reservation is made there is nothing they can do with that. This person indicated that that was a common problem in the rental business.

Thats why I prefer to book all my own reservations. Any mistake is a 100% on me. Unless Wyndham cancels in error.

Would be nice if Wyndham had a way to "lock in" in a reservation or an additional step if cancelling a room with a guest.

If I am about to cancel a reservation (short of the last step) but click on another reservation in my reservations in another window. The first window will then want to cancel the second reservation.

lcml11

Reaction score
Thats why I prefer to book all my own reservations. Any mistake is a 100% on me. Unless Wyndham cancels in error.

Would be nice if Wyndham had a way to "lock in" in a reservation or an additional step if cancelling a room with a guest.

If I am about to cancel a reservation (short of the last step) but click on another reservation in my reservations in another window. The first window will then want to cancel the second reservation.

They do, they use it for the Extra Holidays. As far as I know it is not a run of the mill owner or guest option.

One of the benefits of owning the management companies. The Rental arm(s) of the parent company can get the better treatment. Makes competing with their rental arms trickey.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the benefits of owning the management companies. The Rental arm(s) of the parent company can get the better treatment. Makes competing with their rental arms trickey.

Not tricky at all. I do more business at a few resorts than Extra holidays does. With better unit types as well.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP's Rentor either:
Did not pay the maintenance fee and lost the reservation ?
Tried the cancel rebook game to lower their expense and lost ?
The only other thing I can think of is that the owner had overlapping reservations in his/her name, but that doesn't seem to apply in this case, as it seems that the OP had a copy of the reservation in their name (and therefore the guest cert had been purchased).

Dollars to donuts it was a unit that the owner gambled a cancel-rebook on and lost.

lcml11

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is that the owner had overlapping reservations in his/her name, but that doesn't seem to apply in this case, as it seems that the OP had a copy of the reservation in their name (and therefore the guest cert had been purchased).

Dollars to donuts it was a unit that the owner gambled a cancel-rebook on and lost.

More than likely.

angell52

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did post the name of the person who cancelled my reservation after taking my deposit on September 5, 2013 he cancelled on me on 3/19/14. Check out the thread "reunion water park photos"

Susan

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden

My original thought on this thread, and it hasn't changed is that the owner creates an email or letter that appears to come from Wyndham with the renter's name, just to make the renter feel that something is finalized. At the 60 day mark, a cancel and rebook, with possibly an upgrade is made. Then, and only then is the guest name actually added.

If the cancel/rebook fails, well too bad. Tell the renter something went wrong in the Wyndham system.

I put this all in the owner's camp.

I know of only one other case where a reservation was mysteriously lost. This was done by a caller pretending to be the owner, where a 4 bedroom presidential was cancelled. Maybe the perp hoped to get the reservation for himself. The call was recorded by Wyndham, and after reviewing the voices, it was finally determined by Wyndham that the caller was not the owner.

It makes one wonder just where the perp got the owner's information sufficient to imitate the owner.

I would like to see that actual letter that supposedly came from Wyndham recognizing the renter as the recorded guest. If it looks really authentic, then I will put chocolate syrup on my words as I eat them.

Jim

mstoyanov

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know for a fact that mistakes can happen and Wyndham can cancel reservation by mistake. How do I know that - last year I caught a cancellation of very desirable unit by refreshing reservation system.
I rented the unit in a just a few days (prime oceanfront summer week on the beach).
A week later Wyndham owner service called me directly and apologized and told me that week was cancelled by mistake and they listened to the tape of the call of previous owner when incident happened and they need to give it back to original owner so they will cancel my reservation. There was no option to keep the reservation no matter how much I protested.
In all fairness Wyndham found me trough Extra holidays similar size unit but it was not on the beach.
I apologized to my renter, refunded him in full and then offer the replacement at significantly reduced rate (as it was not on the ocean so it was not comparable to original unit).
Luckily my renter was driving so no air fare involved.
Anyway the point is that vacation guides can make a mistake and cancel reservation that they are not supposed to cancel and if you do not detect it you will be at loss.
Still most probably it was a case of non paid MFs or lost unit during cancel/rebook.

antjmar

Reaction score
A week later Wyndham owner service called me directly and apologized and told me that week was cancelled by mistake and they listened to the tape of the call of previous owner when incident happened and they need to give it back to original owner so they will cancel my reservation.

Im confused. :confused:
If Wyndham cancelled it why was there a tape of the owner of the cancellation. Was it cancelled by someone claiming to be the owner?

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Im confused. :confused:

If Wyndham cancelled it why was there a tape of the owner of the cancellation. Was it cancelled by someone claiming to be the owner?

Perhaps it was a cancel/rebook in which the VC did not complete the rebook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Maybe the owner was saying something like "Don't cancel the reservation that I have but I want to check if xyz is available as well... " and then the agent cancels the reservation.

Originally Posted by mstoyanov
A week later Wyndham owner service called me directly and apologized and told me that week was cancelled by mistake and they listened to the tape of the call of previous owner when incident happened and they need to give it back to original owner so they will cancel my reservation.
Im confused.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
If a VC does a cancel/rebook for you, and loses the reservation, the caller should be fully aware of the risk. I would never expect Wyndham to do anything in that situation (except say 'sorry, you knew the risk').

I think I am the one who Jim is referring to that had fraud on my account. Someone called in and impersonated my father cancelling a reservation. After reviewing the tape, Wyndham reinstated my points (the least of my worries) and the resort offered a different room -- a bad situation was made as good as possible. The resort bent over backwards to make things as good as possible. But they still didn't take the room away from the person who fraudulently ended up with it.

What a nightmare mstoyanov, but I think that has to be an extremely rare situation (I sure hope so). The VC must have done something glaringly wrong. Wyndham just can't go around taking back confirmed reservations (I would have thought in any case).

mstoyanov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Person from resolution department who contacted me did not disclose exactly how was reservation cancelled for the previous owner but they stated that guest had this reservation for 12 months and was cancelled by mistake and they listened to the tapes and confirmed that it was not owner fault.

I really doubt that if owner asked for cancel/re-booking they would have went trough all that trouble to restore it back for him/her. And trust me I really protested when they told me that they will cancel my reservation (especially with guest name on it) but they told me my choice was limited only to accepting replacement unit or not, as reservation will be cancelled 2 days later and points will be returned to my account.

I presume that they gave me replacement unit to remove potential liability if I decide to sue them. As I had no desire to pursue this in court I took my replacement unit (it required no points).