• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescinded purchase but USPS didn't deliver mail

kheins

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
I purchased PP on October 13th. Decided we didn't want them so sent a letter certified mail via USPS on October 17th. I have the receipt and certified paper. I've been following it on USPS...they sent it from Orlando to Naples so I put in for assistance. Someone from Orlando post office called and left me a message saying the machine read the zip code wrong which was why it went to Naples but they realized the mistake and it's on its way to the correct address. I had contacted them on the 26fh and they called me on the 30th. Today I tried calling and no one picks up so the message literally says "goodbye" and hangs up on you. I put in a second request for assistance and got an email this evening saying my claim was closed because basically, they can't help me. Sums up saying, they can't track my mail...that's not what certified is for (it should've been "certified and registered" if I wanted it tracked). Sounds like they have NO idea where my letter is and don't seem to care. I have proof it was sent...is this enough for Hyatt? Not sure what to do...should I call and explain? If anyone had this issue and can offer advice I'd really appreciate it thanks!
You would need to review the document which explains what is needed to cancel the transaction. That said, the legal concept of the "mailbox rule" may still apply. In general terms, the rule states the date you place the letter in the mailbox is the date your letter is effective.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Car manufacturers put out different products at different prices as well. You can buy a Volkswagen Jetta. Or you can buy a Bugatti Chiron. They're both made by the same company. Slightly different price and slightly different market.

The post office will mail your post card to your grandmother for next to nothing. Or they will mail a $10 million gemstone to a Diamond Merchant on 47th St. for around $50 plus insurance (which can reach into the thousands).

When I sell one-of-a-kind vinyl records, they go registered. The box is packed by the post office clerk, who notes the contents on the ledger, which then serves as the chain of custody until it is signed for by the recipient. And yes, the clerk writes "The Beatles, 'Beatles For Sale' vinyl record album" in the ledger. The smart ones ask to see the record to make sure it matches the jacket. The box is sealed with tamper-proof registered package tape. All sides. All edges. All openings. And then every person who touches that package signs for it. If the package is lost, I'm getting my insurance money -- no quibbling. And the post office is going to the last person on the ledger and demanding some answers.

That's the difference between a VW and a Bugatti.
If I use the highest level of USPS they are going to give me a Bugatti??
Sign me up!!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am glad you feel the USPS provides a good service
I am just not as big a fan as you are
I have had several different experiences that have given me pause about the quality of their service
The original OP tells us of their experience of mailing an important document and the USPS seems to have lost it
Just saying.....
Fed ex. Broker sent paperwork fed ex, not trusting usps, fed ex threw it on the stoop of a vacant house about half a mile away. Had my social security number on it. I found it by going to every house is subdivision that had an 8 or 6 in any combination,. Lying out exposed to the elements in front of a vacant house that was listed on Airbnb

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We've personally have only had a few items lost by USPS. One was an order my wife made from an online retailer. It was a SurePost kinda thing where USP or FedEx delivered it to the USPS to then do the "last mile". It shows it made it to USPS, but nothing after that. The retailer replaced the items. Another was an envelope we dropped into a blue mailbox in Las Vegas. Person we were sending it to contacted us to say it never arrived. Had to resend it again. Mail gets lost, it happens as the OP here has proven. Even certified mail can get lost. Even registered mail can get lost. The problem with a timeshare rescission letter is you can't really insure it for the amount you paid for the timeshare. So insurance won't help you. This is why on rescissions you should always utilize two methods to deliver the letter. If the contract allows for fax or email, use that first then send a regular stamped envelope with Certificate of Mailing (less than $3). If mail or fax isn't permitted, then registered or certified is fine. Again, along with also sending a regular stamped envelope with Certificate of Mailing.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of horror stories about delivery services
It sounds like paying for top level service at USPS has not generated any bad stories here
I will bet I can find some if I really cared
I am still looking for the Buggati giveway though

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I am still looking for the Buggati giveway though

I reread my post twice. I didn't use the word "give" once. I used the word "buy" twice.

Registered mail is one of the very few things in life where you're getting your money's worth. It's a bargain, frankly. Most things we buy, we're getting [censored]. It's refreshing to get a dollar's worth of service for a dollar.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I reread my post twice. I didn't use the word "give" once. I used the word "buy" twice.

Registered mail is one of the very few things in life where you're getting your money's worth. It's a bargain, frankly. Most things we buy, we're getting [censored]. It's refreshing to get a dollar's worth of service for a dollar.
I must have misread your post
I was sure you were saying they were giving away a chance for a Buggati Chryon with the use of the top level USPS service
My bad
I guess my eye drops need to be checked

spec1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not into conspiracy theories, but looks like my rescission letter to HPC was also lost by USPS. It was mailed on Monday, and today is Saturday, but it's still showing "moving through the network, arriving late". I did send a duplicate request to the email address provided in the paperwork, and then sent a follow-up reconfirming the rescission and providing a screenshot of tracking info (all within the allowed 6 day period). So I'm hoping all of this will be enough, even if the letter is never delivered.... However, the next few weeks will be rather stressful waiting for the outcome.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm not into conspiracy theories, but looks like my rescission letter to HPC was also lost by USPS. It was mailed on Monday, and today is Saturday, but it's still showing "moving through the network, arriving late". I did send a duplicate request to the email address provided in the paperwork, and then sent a follow-up reconfirming the rescission and providing a screenshot of tracking info (all within the allowed 6 day period). So I'm hoping all of this will be enough, even if the letter is never delivered.... However, the next few weeks will be rather stressful waiting for the outcome.
The email should be enough to cover it.

ScoopKona

Reaction score

Return receipt costs $2 extra and elevates the attention given to the piece of mail. Registered costs $40-ish and it WILL get there.

Now put a price on stress avoidance.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, I pray that your letter did not go through the Atlanta, Georgia new USPS distribution center. They are 6 to weeks 8 behind in their mail distribution.

tnecniv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Send another letter including copies of your proof of mailing the first one. Also include screen shots or other evidence you have from the USPS showing the tracking history and anything provided from the USPS that it is lost.

This is why I also suggest sending just a plain stamped first class envelope in addition to whatever primary delivery method you use. Stamped envelope could have gotten lost too, but chances of both being lost are much smaller. The extra $0.66 is cheap insurance.
may be your mail went to the dead letter office

ArizonaSun4Fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilarious that there are so many passionate opinions on how to track your shipments. All of them should work just fine 99+% of the time with a tracking i.d.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
And this is why I always recommend people spend the extra couple bucks for return receipt.

The only safer way to mail something is registered. (Most people have no idea how to mail registered letters and packages. Or what's involved.) With return receipt, this post would never have been written.
How would return receipt have resolved the issue of non-delivery?

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Return receipt costs $2 extra and elevates the attention given to the piece of mail. Registered costs $40-ish and it WILL get there.

Now put a price on stress avoidance.
For anything important, I just put it in a priority mail envelope, as this gives you proof of mailing and proof of delivery. There was a time when return receipts made sense. Now that delivery is tracked and verified by USPS on its website, I don't really see the utility of certified or registered mail for documents. I suppose if sending an original document with multiple signatures from folks on it, like a Deed, registered could make a tad of sense.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I suspect we will hear back from the OP that the rescind was successful.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
How would return receipt have resolved the issue of non-delivery?

Return receipt doesn't go in the same bag with all the other mail. It's treated differently. It's not as secure as registered. But it's better than sending a basic letter. I trust it more than Priority. I've had Priority mail disappear. But never a return receipt. If I'm going to lose sleep over it, it goes registered. Then I don't lose sleep.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Any piece of mail has the possibility of getting lost. Priority Mail is usually more expensive than Certified Mail. There is a small risk with Certified Mail that the recipient refuses to sign and isn't delivered.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Return receipt doesn't go in the same bag with all the other mail. It's treated differently. It's not as secure as registered. But it's better than sending a basic letter. I trust it more than Priority. I've had Priority mail disappear. But never a return receipt. If I'm going to lose sleep over it, it goes registered. Then I don't lose sleep.
Your personal situation is rather anecdotal and coincidental than any true factor in determining the value of Return Receipt. Return Receipt can be added to Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, First-Class Mail, First Class Package Service and Media Mail. I am not aware that return receipt is segregated. If you add it to First Class Mail it goes with the other First Class Mail. There is a reason the card is green. It is so the mail person sees it, rips it off and puts it with the mail they are picking up. The green card just becomes a postcard that also travels through the mail system.

I believe Return Receipt had it's day in the age before the internet and electronic tracking. It is rather a dinosaur now. It requires a signature at delivery and only works if the package is delivered. A green card doesn't hold up in court if you don't have it in your hands. There are better ways to prove that a packages/envelope was sent from and to a specific address.

spec1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update - although my hardcopy letter was never delivered, the e-mail worked, and the refund of the down payment has just appeared on my credit card (16 days after rescission). In the e-mail to PPCXL-NOARecovery@vacationclub.com I included a PDF file of the recission letter signed by both me and my spouse. Once again, thank you to the forum for saving me at least $24k!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update - although my hardcopy letter was never delivered, the e-mail worked, and the refund of the down payment has just appeared on my credit card (16 days after rescission). In the e-mail to PPCXL-NOARecovery@vacationclub.com I included a PDF file of the recission letter signed by both me and my spouse. Once again, thank you to the forum for saving me at least $24k!
Great news. It's also possible that your letter was delivered and the info wasn't updated on the usps website.