• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to renting. Worried about BG scrutiny

Getouttaiowa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Green
Been a Bluegreen owner for about 16 years. Pretty happy with ownership until maintenance fees skyrocketed. Now I have to find some way to offset the hit to our finances. Of course then we get the info at an update last summer that the company is cracking down on "renters", but we were assured it was mostly people who were doing it as a business. I'm nervous, but here I am giving it a shot. I have my first classified listed and I've been checking in with the last minute rental forum. Has anyone had any trouble making a booking and transferring it to a different person's name? I don't want to have to make up elaborate lies about how I'm gifting vacations to my many new friends.

bigshorty

Reaction score
Been a Bluegreen owner for about 16 years. Pretty happy with ownership until maintenance fees skyrocketed. Now I have to find some way to offset the hit to our finances. Of course then we get the info at an update last summer that the company is cracking down on "renters", but we were assured it was mostly people who were doing it as a business. I'm nervous, but here I am giving it a shot. I have my first classified listed and I've been checking in with the last minute rental forum. Has anyone had any trouble making a booking and transferring it to a different person's name? I don't want to have to make up elaborate lies about how I'm gifting vacations to my many new friends.
I am in the same boat you are. As a matter of fact the last 3 reviews I did the sales rep used renting as a motivation of buying. “Of course, I should not mention renting outside this room.” Which I concluded meant that “ don’t ask, don’t tell”(Bluegreen has it as a no no but does not enforce it) Well, I joined tubss to learn how to rent but what I have read so far is not to do it. So I guess my question is: Does anyone in this group know anyone who has had a rented reservation denied?

JFinLandOLakes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen
I'm in the same boat right now. The new maintenance fees along with some changes in our life have put our BG as more of a burden. So I joined here to see what can be done to lighten the load.

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk (Platinum UDI) Wyndham Access (Platinum trust), Wyndham National Harbor (Platinum UDI), HGVC Deed at Kingsland, HI, HGV Max (Premiere Plus) Trust
Just a thought to instill some hope: Maybe the new HGV regime will make things better(?)

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a thought to instill some hope: Maybe the new HGV regime will make things better(?)
What follows is just my personal assessment of the state of affairs with regard to the predicament many TS owners face now or might face as their personal situation changes.

The questions are:

1) As an owner, are you able to afford AND still enjoy your ownership by -
a) either continuing to use your unit(s) yourself? Your family member?
b) exchanging for other properties?

2) Are you still able to travel when you want to -
a) is health an impediment?
b) are family members interested in taking over your ownership either now or after your passing?

3) If you cannot use your ownership and decide to rent it out to non-family members-
a) are you able to recover a significant portion of your MFs to make the effort worthwhile?
b) are you willing to do the listing and interact with strangers yourself?
c) if not, you need to enlist the services of a third party listing service or a specialized brokerage service who will list the property and transact with the public. Obviously, this route will lower your your recovery of MFs. Check rental prices yourself for your resort for the time period you own to see what financial recovery can be anticipated.

4) If, for whatever reason, continued ownership does not make sense any longer and a family member is not interested in assuming the financial obligation associated with ownership, you should give serious consideration of conveying the ownership to the developer. If the developer has a program and you qualify, do it. I did.

On the issue of whether HGV will "make things better" is it depends on what aspect of ownership you are most interested in. As a general rule, no developer is interested in competition with owners for a piece of the pie. Whether HGV will continue to allow owners to rent to non-family members is something that cannot be predicted. The last time I researched this topic, it seems to be an industry standard wherein such rental activity qualifies as a "commercial enterprise" as is strictly prohibited by the resort's HOA, the developer or both. Yet, it's clear from thousands of postings on various forums and FB pages that many owners do engage in this activity In fact, I've seen solicitations from owners requesting other owners to turn over their anticipated unused weeks to them. They act as a broker even though they are not bonded or licensed. My gut feeling is that any developer, including HGV, will turn a blind eye if such rental activity by owners does not impact their business model or bottom line. IT is NEVER permissible to seek an exchange for the purpose of commercial enterprise. All exchange companies that I am aware of have such a clause in their Agreements. If the exchange company learns of this activity, the exchange company will cancel the reservation and the owner could be sued by the prospective renter for false representation and be disenrolled by the exchange company. Good luck......

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Taken directly from from Bluegreen Website

Reservation name changes at Wilderness Club at Big Cedar, Branson Cedars Resort, The Cliffs at Long Creek and Paradise Point will be available via call-in only.

In an ongoing effort to prevent prohibited commercial rental activity, and as a precursor to the Guest Certificate Program previously announced, we will change the way guest name changes can be completed on reservations at an initial selection of properties. Name change requests will be available via call in only at the Wilderness Club at Big Cedar, Branson Cedars Resort, The Cliffs at Long Creek and Paradise Point. More information regarding name change restrictions and associated fees will be available closer to launch in Q2.”

On the many Bluegreen Facebook groups there are thousands of people reporting they are locked out of their accounts. Some can use there accounts by calling in to reserve but can only put reservations in the owners name. Even when family members are authorized user, they can not have their name on the resie.
Some are totally blocked from any usage.

According to Bluegreens POS, the only reason to restrict usage is for non payment of fees. Yet they are doing it with no recourse for owners.

There are multiple posts of people who only had 3-4 name changes (mostly to relatives) that were suspended for suspected commercial use.

People that were told they had too many single name usage on account. How many is too many? That’s up to compliance to decide.

For many many years, the most common sales lie/tactic when people said “I have enough points” was “ buy more points to rent to offset fees”

Now, this is suddenly not permitted.

BUT name changes which were always free and done on
line by the customer will now carry a $99 fee.
Wondering whose name is allowed to go on those reservations?

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would strongly suggest you do not post on public websites that you are renting out your BG points/ownership.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I am in the same boat you are. As a matter of fact the last 3 reviews I did the sales rep used renting as a motivation of buying. “Of course, I should not mention renting outside this room.” Which I concluded meant that “ don’t ask, don’t tell”(Bluegreen has it as a no no but does not enforce it) Well, I joined tubss to learn how to rent but what I have read so far is not to do it. So I guess my question is: Does anyone in this group know anyone who has had a rented reservation denied?
I'm in the same boat right now. The new maintenance fees along with some changes in our life have put our BG as more of a burden. So I joined here to see what can be done to lighten the load.
A lot of new boats in the water, first 3 posters all registered in the last 2 weeks. No further posts from #s 2 and 3.

Getouttaiowa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Green
It will be interesting to see how things might change with regard to rules and communication. We may be able to learn something from our HGV brethren.

Getouttaiowa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Green

Reservation name changes at Wilderness Club at Big Cedar, Branson Cedars Resort, The Cliffs at Long Creek and Paradise Point will be available via call-in only.

In an ongoing effort to prevent prohibited commercial rental activity, and as a precursor to the Guest Certificate Program previously announced, we will change the way guest name changes can be completed on reservations at an initial selection of properties. Name change requests will be available via call in only at the Wilderness Club at Big Cedar, Branson Cedars Resort, The Cliffs at Long Creek and Paradise Point. More information regarding name change restrictions and associated fees will be available closer to launch in Q2.”

On the many Bluegreen Facebook groups there are thousands of people reporting they are locked out of their accounts. Some can use there accounts by calling in to reserve but can only put reservations in the owners name. Even when family members are authorized user, they can not have their name on the resie.

According to Bluegreens POS, the only reason to restrict usage is for non payment of fees. Yet they are doing it with no recourse for owners.

There are multiple posts of people who only had 3-4 name changes (mostly to relatives) that were suspended for suspected commercial use.

People that were told they had too many single name usage on account. How many is too many? That’s up to compliance to decide.

For many many years, the most common sales lie/tactic when people said “I have enough points” was “ buy more points to rent to offset fees”

Ironic since it was an update at Branson/ Big Cedar where I was first told by a sales rep how people can make a few bucks listing bookings on Craigslist. At the time we didn't need to. It is all but a necessity in my mind. I didn't buy more points specifically to offset fees, but I believe it was mentioned. I don't really see the harm to BG from a business perspective. You're getting bodies through the door. Maybe a few folks decide to buy in. It's not like all the owners are gonna decide to become time share rental businesspeople. It's all very annoying and I regret not seeing it coming.

Getouttaiowa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Green
I would strongly suggest you do not post on public websites that you are renting out your BG points/owners

I would strongly suggest you do not post on public websites that you are renting out your BG points/ownership.
I appreciate the advice. I decided to take the risk because the alternative is eventually not being able to continue ownership.

InTheArena

Reaction score
I'm dealing with a family member who appears to have been scammed by Bluegreen - There are a large number of people on this forum who report that Bluegreen sales people indicated that they could rent to cover maintaience fees (and in fact, do so themselves), but then blue-green corporate block their access for renting after doing so. Is this a fair statement? If so, is anyone investigating a class action lawsuit against bluegreen / now hilton grand vacations for this policy?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I'm dealing with a family member who appears to have been scammed by Bluegreen - There are a large number of people on this forum who report that Bluegreen sales people indicated that they could rent to cover maintaience fees (and in fact, do so themselves), but then blue-green corporate block their access for renting after doing so. Is this a fair statement? If so, is anyone investigating a class action lawsuit against bluegreen / now hilton grand vacations for this policy?
The problem is the document they signed says that the buyer will not rely on any oral representations, and the written contract, rules and terms control. This creates an additional burden to overcome and the salespeople will deny they ever said that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "investigating a class action lawsuit" but if you talk to lawyers that specialize in class actions, they will tell you if they think you have "a case" (worth pursuing to them.)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is your family member currently locked out/restricted use of their ownership?

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Have owners that have been locked out of the site for falsely being accused of renting commercially considered a class action lawsuit? I would think they might have a good case - stripped of their usage by false accusations.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I believe most Timeshare Contracts require Arbitration.