• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Point Requirements to Trade Hyatt in II?

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an odd one.

Points remain with Hyatt until a booking then they are transferred to Interval. I have never been able to get a free upgrade (i.e. 1br to 2br) except the time i had 2 certificates from cancellations during covid - which of course I did upgrade both (for a fee). So they have asked for the points difference if I tried to upgrade rooms before.

But in Etrade, your points life could be extended past the life Hyatt says - because they are no longer in a Hyatt bucket. It is as if the points were in interval and it was done - but you could not change room size.

The issue is now that the systems knows it needs more points for the SAME room size. It seems they could work around this if they wanted to for EPlus, since the point of EPlus was to lock your points in and you could change where and when but not change the room size.

It will be interesting to see what Mark says about this. He helped me in the past with the covid certificates.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is an odd one.

Points remain with Hyatt until a booking then they are transferred to Interval. I have never been able to get a free upgrade (i.e. 1br to 2br) except the time i had 2 certificates from cancellations during covid - which of course I did upgrade both (for a fee). So they have asked for the points difference if I tried to upgrade rooms before.

But in Etrade, your points life could be extended past the life Hyatt says - because they are no longer in a Hyatt bucket. It is as if the points were in interval and it was done - but you could not change room size.

The issue is now that the systems knows it needs more points for the SAME room size. It seems they could work around this if they wanted to for EPlus, since the point of EPlus was to lock your points in and you could change where and when but not change the room size.

It will be interesting to see what Mark says about this. He helped me in the past with the covid certificates.
I reached out to Mark, he indicated that Eplus retrades will be based on the new point values. This of course was a hypothetical situation. YMMV if you have something specific and try contacting them, but don't be disappointed if they tell you that you are SOL.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one last ETrade on a current reservation - but thankfully i am good with what i have. I use Etrade to improve the date traveling.

This has effectively rendered ETrade on Hyatt reservations made before this year useless - or at least a bad option. For anyone who parked points in a reservation they would not use to extend the points life, it has really messed them up.

It sure sounds like once Interval has your points, they now control how long they live. But a changed reservation can ask for additional points if more than what Interval already has.

Happy New Year from Hyatt/MVC ....

Last edited:

jksung5295

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you own at Hyatt Beach House in Florida, and the MFs are about $2300 this year. Not sure how many points you own, but unless it is 2,000 (Platinum) or 2,200 (Diamond), I agree the value proposition is a little on the grim side. The costs of owning Florida seem to have really increased due to hurricane, maintenance, and related legislative impacts. OTOH, since you already own this, and if doing Disney exchanges is still a good value proposition to you, that might be better than just jettisoning your Hyatt week? I know you mentioned there are other ways to do Disney exchanges, but since you already own this particular way, that is something to consider?
mine is gold week at Beach House and i bought it for cheap so definitely got my money worth. I have gotten good value out of it because but exchanging in Interval has downside as well. Like having to plan 9-12 in month in advance, traveling for a week at a time and traveling to the same geographical area (CA or Orlando), etc.

There may still be decent value but I feel like it's time to try different kind of travel as well and not having to worry about using up all the points and paying MF will help with that. I'm not in a hurry to sell but as i have used up points for 2024 and paid the MF through 2024 so I just need to find a buyer within the next year.

I still think Hyatt can still have value but in my 6 years of ownership I have always used Interval and that was the biggest selling point for me. I did do internal exchange for Hyatt twice but both times got cancelled (once for covid, and once for hurricane at Coconut) and had to resort to sending those points to Interval.

TBipp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House and Windward Pointe, Key West, FL
The Banyan Resort, Key West, FL
After the increase in points required for an II exchange, it seems like ThirdHome could be a more attractive option than I originally though. I wasn't interested in ThirdHome initially as I would need to exchange my entire week while with Interval, I only needed to give up 1300 points for a one week and still had 900 left to use in Hyatt which we often used during mud weeks or to add 4 days onto a home week in Key West. Also ThirdHome seems to have more upscale properties available and it seems that the system is more transparent. What do you think?

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Is this a glitch or a big devaluation?-- Interval will not allow me to search for any weeks worth more than 1750 points. I can only select from the Affiliate chart after I select my unit to trade. (I have a 2200 point Hyatt week.) The Premier Elite chart 2 bedrooms are now 1950 pts during prime season so I can not see them in my availability when I search. Either there is a big glitch or they have devalued Hyatt so much that my 2 bedroom Diamond weeks are worth less than a marriott comparable elite resort.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Is this a glitch or a big devaluation?-- Interval will not allow me to search for any weeks worth more than 1750 points. I can only select from the Affiliate chart after I select my unit to trade. (I have a 2200 point Hyatt week.) The Premier Elite chart 2 bedrooms are now 1950 pts during prime season so I can not see them in my availability when I search. Either there is a big glitch or they have devalued Hyatt so much that my 2 bedroom Diamond weeks are worth less than a marriott comparable elite resort.

I don’t for sure know the answer to your question, and have noticed the same thing. Ive also noticed that I’m at time unable to see certain trades at all with my EPlus deposits. Some of them I’m told I need X more points to book, others that are reported on the sightings board that I can’t see at all- like NYC. Too frequently for those sightings to just have dried up.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder if this move is intended to force us all into club trading predominantly, to increase inventory for their miserable ridiculous terrible Portfolio program. If so, yes, I could see them restricting usage of points in II any way they can.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I'm guessing it's a browser issue. I'm willing to wager that the people who can't see everything are using Safari -- which typically has the most issues of any browser.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 072152.png

Here's what I just got when I made a search. It isn't pretty, but I can go up to 2200 points on an exchange search.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm guessing it's a browser issue. I'm willing to wager that the people who can't see everything are using Safari -- which typically has the most issues of any browser.

View attachment 87493

Here's what I just got when I made a search. It isn't pretty, but I can go up to 2200 points on an exchange search.
Can you actually click on the 2,200?

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

View attachment 87493

I see what you see but I can’t select the 2200 points. I can only select from the top chart. And the largest point value is 1750. I use Microsoft edge.

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you actually click on the 2,200?
No. Only from the points on the affiliate tab. And if I try to use my app on the phone, it’s even worse because I can’t select any any of the point values from any of the charts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So it seems the charts are back. It was previously reported that they had gone away. Perhaps II tried to do an update last night and it reverted back.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I can't select 2200 points because I only have 1880.
That isn’t why. The charts are broken. Isn’t it possible to have more EEE points available to you at any given time than what you own?

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can't select 2200 points because I only have 1880.
Makes sense but the devaluation is still huge either way. Because if you were trying to select a marriott 2 bedroom in interval before for a prime week -Let's say Hilton Head in July, the week used to cost 1300 pts. Now, that same week is on the Premier Elite Chart for 1950 pts. And the highest value they are giving my 2 bedroom Diamond week in Interval is 1750 points. So I don't have the option to select the Marriott week. As a matter of fact, I can't see the inventory for the two bedrooms at all for those premium weeks because the system will only pull weeks valued up to the highest point value I can select to trade-1750pt. Just doesn't make sense. I think they screwed up the charts or else the devaluation is bigger than thought and we are actually restricted from booking comparable weeks and unit sizes to our Hyatt ownership in Interval.

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And to add to above for clarification, I have an active e-plus. When I search with the e-plus, I can pull all available inventory so I see those prime Marriott weeks that are 1950 points as with the eplus trade, I have the option to add additional points. So I can upgrade my existing reservation to a 1950 pt week, but I can't see the 1950 pt week if I search as a new exchange.

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That isn’t why. The charts are broken. Isn’t it possible to have more EEE points available to you at any given time than what you own?
That would make the most sense, but how can they value a Hyatt diamond week at 1750pts and the comparable Marriott at 1950? Hyatt weeks are now sub to Marriott?

Also FYI A 2bed week in Breckenridge in July at the THE RESIDENCES AT MAIN STREET STATION, BRECKENRIDGE is a 1300 point trade through Hyatt website, a week at the Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge down the street which is a Gold property is now 1950pts on interval

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That would make the most sense, but how can they value a Hyatt diamond week at 1750 and the comparable Marrioot at 1950? Hyatt weeks are now sub to Marriott?
That is a different question entirely.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Makes sense but the devaluation is still huge either way. Because if you were trying to select a marriott 2 bedroom in interval before for a prime week -Let's say Hilton Head in July, the week used to cost 1300 pts. Now, that same week is on the Premier Elite Chart for 1950 pts. And the highest value they are giving my 2 bedroom Diamond week in Interval is 1750 points. So I don't have the option to select the Marriott week. As a matter of fact, I can't see the inventory for the two bedrooms at all for those premium weeks because the system will only pull weeks valued up to the highest point value I can select to trade-1750pt. Just doesn't make sense. I think they screwed up the charts or else the devaluation is bigger than thought and we are actually restricted from booking comparable weeks and unit sizes to our Hyatt ownership in Interval.

I'm well aware. I used to sell this stuff.

If there's a link and you can't click on it, that's a glitch, not a conspiracy. The point increases are simply awful. But Marriott has a track record of rolling out half-baked, broken web interfaces, and then limping along until someone is brought in to fix things. The Hyatt "clubhouse" website has been buggy as hell ever since Marriott took over. And the whole Welk thing isn't helping.

1-800-Go-Hyatt still works. But I'm willing to bet that most of the operators are just as confused by the new system as the owners. I look at it like this -- we all just had a week removed from our II trading potential. If you previously got 3-5 weeks, you now get 2-4, and so on. The new system is particularly rotten for the Bronze and Silver owners who can no longer trade for a single two bedroom. They're left holding the bag in all of this.

Absolutely, this is a play to force Hyatt legacy owners to acquire more points. Those who don't acquire more points will be forced to settle for less. And those who want more points means the sales team gets another crack at them. "Trust us! Just because we kneecapped you this year doesn't mean we're ever going to do it again!"

The best strategy is to decide how many points you need to get the job done. And then either upgrade from a Gold to Diamond (or whatever it takes) by selling one deeded week and buying another. Or taking on another legacy week and thus another maintenance fee.

I've already decided to settle for one fewer week. We'll play around in Asia for awhile and then we're probably out. Marriott hasn't done right by Hyatt owners and it's clear they're going to continue to look at us as sheep to be sheared.

jab1900

Reaction score
I don’t for sure know the answer to your question, and have noticed the same thing. Ive also noticed that I’m at time unable to see certain trades at all with my EPlus deposits. Some of them I’m told I need X more points to book, others that are reported on the sightings board that I can’t see at all- like NYC. Too frequently for those sightings to just have dried up.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder if this move is intended to force us all into club trading predominantly, to increase inventory for their miserable ridiculous terrible Portfolio program. If so, yes, I could see them restricting usage of points in II any way they can.

I reached out to Mark, he indicated that Eplus retrades will be based on the new point values. This of course was a hypothetical situation. YMMV if you have something specific and try contacting them, but don't be disappointed if they tell you that you are SOL.
i paid the extra to have three retrades on my exchange. everything looked good in 2023 in looking at re trades. Now 2024 the want more points to retrade for the same size unit. points that i dont have. are there any class actions that i can be part of? Does not seem fair that you paid to re trade and now they want more.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
. are there any class actions that i can be part of? Does not seem fair that you paid to re trade and now they want more.

The contract is written so that a class-action suit isn't going to work. They're allowed to change the club rules at will. Prior to Marriott taking over, when Hyatt changed the rules, it was to the benefit of the members -- upping point totals as demand increased, for instance. Bronze owners became gold owners with the stroke of a pen.

Any E-trade plus problems will have Interval pointing at Hyatt and Hyatt pointing at Interval, with Marriott (which owns both) laughing their way to the bank.

This is just like trying to change an airplane ticket where the new ticket is significantly more expensive -- the customer will pay the difference. It's the same thing, just with points. From Hyatt's perspective it is unfair to the rest of the members if anyone receives the old point totals under the new system.

Here's what they're going to say, "You paid to be able to rebook your 870 points with etrade. You can book for any property which costs 870 points or less. If what you want now costs more than 870, 'dems da breaks."

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
i paid the extra to have three retrades on my exchange. everything looked good in 2023 in looking at re trades. Now 2024 the want more points to retrade for the same size unit. points that i dont have. are there any class actions that i can be part of? Does not seem fair that you paid to re trade and now they want more.
I would definitely call. Yes they could change the II requirements per contracts but in good faith , you purchased eplus under the system in place . That seems wrong and a grey area. If I were in that position I would discuss options

ScoopKona

Reaction score
They probably can't change the point requirements back, but Mark might be willing to refund the eplus under the circumstances.

That's still going to leave everyone in this E-plus boat stuck with not enough points to get the same thing they originally traded for -- with no easy way to make up the difference (unless they have more points in II). I think people are going to be stuck taking a smaller unit or a less-desirable season.

No matter what Interval does, there will be a lot of unhappy owners. And I think it's likely that Hyatt's response will be, "This is an Interval issue, you'll have to resolve it with them."

Assuming this is part of Marriott's master plan (and not two subsidiaries pursuing conflicting goals), you have to wonder what they're thinking. The cynic in me thinks they're trying to break the system so that Hyatt owners leave en masse. This allows Marriott to sell the same 14 properties (minus Kaanapali and Aspen which orbit differently) one more time. The people they sit for timeshare presentations aren't going to know about the "great kneecapping." Who know what they'll do with Welk in that case.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
It seems that the only way to "fight back" against MVW is the near impossible task of owners voting to leave the Hyatt brand entirely and re-align with another trading partner. Clearly the object of MVW is to push one to buy expensive points.