• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help-Big Island and which Kona Resort

bentin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which Big Island Resort to book for our December 2011 vacation. Since we are Shell members, our choices are Kona Coast I, Kona Coast II, or Holua Resort at Mauna Loa Village. Also, is there a difference between Kona I and II? What are your general impressions of the Big Island? We really love Kauai, so we are a little nervous about Hawaii.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We love the Big Island as well, but the lava in the Kona area is a little different than your typical Hawaiian scene. The first time we flew in, it seemed like a moonscape!! But the beaches are beautiful and Volcano National Park is amazing, especially if you get the chance to see actual lava flows.

We've stayed in Kona Coast II and the Mauna Loa, although not the Shell part, I don't think.

Kona I is the older part of the resort - I think they are a little larger units and to me looked more "homey". We enjoyed our stay at Kona Coast II - very nice upper unit.

Mauna Loa was nice as well - a little further off the beaten track but closer to that small mall down the far end of Alii Drive. It didn't have a real "resort" feel to me.

But if you are staying on the Big Island you won't have time to do much more than sleep there if you want to see everything.

JanB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which Big Island Resort to book for our December 2011 vacation. Since we are Shell members, our choices are Kona Coast I, Kona Coast II, or Holua Resort at Mauna Loa Village. Also, is there a difference between Kona I and II? What are your general impressions of the Big Island? We really love Kauai, so we are a little nervous about Hawaii.

We own both KCR I and II. We prefer KCR I because of the size of the unit and lanai. But, as owners, we can "request" our unit and usually get what we request. KCR I is at the back of the property whereas KCR II units are closer to the golf course and ocean so more units have those views, but are smaller. That said, both phases are plenty big for 4 in a 2 bdrm; KCR I is plenty big for 6, in a 2 bdrm, but I wouldn't want to do 6 adults in the KCR II units. I don't like 4 in a 1 bdrm regardless of size.

We sold our Mauna Loa unit. The resort is very quiet, the pools are more private, but they are further from the ocean and only a few units have ocean views. It is a very comfortable resort, however.

LGinPA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi!
We stayed at the KCR II and just returned in early November. I'd recommend it highly. We stayed in a 2 BR/2BA unit and I thought it was plenty large for the 4 of us, and afforded great privacy for 2 couples. As usual, any additional persons would need to use the sofa-bed.

One useful tidbit I read on T/A was that KCR tries to honor requests for specific unit locations, so we did that. If you'd prefer a unit with more privacy and whose lanai faces the golf course, which overlooks the ocean, the best buildings are 23 (closest to the pool), 24, right next to 23. We emailed a request for an upstairs unit in either of those buildings and were thrilled to be given Unit 23-204. Of course this was after your exchange was confirmed. And I waited until 5-6 weeks prior to out arrival for the request.

The second floor has vaulted ceilings, and is more private since the lanai is raised and no one is looking at you when they walk by on the sidewalk that surrounds the property. Keep in mind there is no elevator, though. But it's only one story up.

There are plenty of reviews on T/A. After reading lots of them, then going there, I thought the property was really nicer than described. One thing many complain about is KCR charges you per diem to use the A/C, which is optional. Yes, I think it was $11 a day for it, but well worth it. It costs less for a 1 BR unit.

Do keep in mind there is no beach right on the property. There's a good snorkeling beach nearby, but the best beaches are a 30 + minute drive.

Overall we LOVED the BI, and LOVED KCR II and would gladly trade into it again. We even loved the entertainment they brought into their pool-side bar/lounge.

If you have any specific questions about either the BI or KCR II, feel free to ask.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out Paniolo Greens, another Shell choice on the BI. It's out in Waikoloa, but it's all two bedrooms, and it doesn't take as many points as the Kona Coasts and Holua.

Marty

Last edited: