• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Kauai resort, Never again

PeteBob

Reaction score
I’m at the Marriott Beach Club and I am very disappointed with this place.

There is significant construction on the property and they start work about 7:30am to 8am.

So where is my room? Ground floor, 50 feet from the construction. They would not move us to a better location.

On day two, the entire property went black, no power.. Took 2+ days to get back power.
FYI, this place is split into two companies. A Sonesta and MVC.

As a token for the thrash, Sonesta had an open restaurant for all guests, including MVC members.

What did MVC do? Nothing.

MVC blew it

The only thing that is awesome at this place is the beach. It’s big! Awesome waves each morning and gentle in the afternoon.

Did I mention the property is directly in the path for the small plane airport?

In summary, this place is a POS.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I guess you are staying in Lihue? The MVCs around there look nice but the location near the airport is not the best. We stayed at a hotel near that area once and I did not like it. The second time we stayed in the Westin Princeville and it was fabulous. We will be at the MVC in Poipu next Spring. I hope we will enjoy it.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
If the Sonesta restaurant included Marriott guests then most likely Marriott was paying too.
Did they give a reason for not moving you?

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score

There is significant construction on the property and they start work about 7:30am to 8am.

So where is my room? Ground floor, 50 feet from the construction. They would not move us to a better location.

On day two, the entire property went black, no power.. Took 2+ days to get back power.

As a token for the thrash, Sonesta had an open restaurant for all guests, including MVC members.

MVC blew it

The only thing that is awesome at this place is the beach. It’s big! Awesome waves each morning and gentle in the afternoon.

Are you Marriott owners? If so, I would call MVCI and let them know of your situation. They may be able to do something for you.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
So sorry that you had this experience.We had a very rough stay in May. We were on the 4th floor I think, but had a fabulous view of the construction dumpster and did not enjoy the jackhammering. We actually left early. With exchanging it's a crapshoot and I figured that it was our turn to get something that wasn't so great.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We lucked out with our exchange here this summer: oceanfront unit in the Wai'ale'ale wing, apparently between the bouts of loud construction. It exceeded expectations, though they were admittedly low to start.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I guess you are staying in Lihue? The MVCs around there look nice but the location near the airport is not the best. We stayed at a hotel near that area once and I did not like it. The second time we stayed in the Westin Princeville and it was fabulous. We will be at the MVC in Poipu next Spring. I hope we will enjoy it.
Waiohai is night and day to KBC. You'll have a great time. But if you are trading in, you may have a tough room location.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those Tuggers who has been a "cheerleader" for this location for many years / visits.
I've been curious about implications from hotel changing to Sonesta.
My reservation starts 11/19.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

MVC blew it

I've said before, I'd rather be working than stay there and we didn't have any of those issues.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
To each their own. KBC tends to have those that love it and those that hate it. Strong opinions on both sides.

We stayed at KBC last fall and we still enjoy this resort. While the rooms are not as nice as other MVCI resorts, we still enjoy the rest of the expansive property (lagoons, landscaping, pool, beach, etc).

We actually prefer this location to Waiohai. While, I’d still choose Maui Ocean Club or Ko Olina Beach Club above both.

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really sorry you had such a bad experience.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
To each their own. KBC tends to have those that love it and those that hate it. Strong opinions on both sides.
I am sure that no one loves construction, jackhammering and two days without electricity. Though those things are only temporary.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
In July, we stayed at KBC in an Ocean View 1BR on the 5th floor, above the tile cutting tent. It was noisy, but we weren't in the room that much. KBC is centrally located, but we'll stay in Princeville or Poipu next time. Turtles come to rest overnight at Poipu Beach after sunset.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2338.jpeg
    IMG_2338.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 44

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

First of all, I am sorry you had a bad stay at KBC. But I am curious...were you put in the villa type - OF, OV, or GV - that you booked? And if so, who did you expect to be put in the rooms near the construction? I assume KBC allocates villas like most MVC resorts - KBC owners first, then Abound Point reservations tiered by MVC Owner level, then II, then marketing stays.

On day two, the entire property went black, no power.. Took 2+ days to get back power. As a token for the thrash, Sonesta had an open restaurant for all guests, including MVC members. What did MVC do? Nothing.

Again, I am curious. MVC doesn't control Hawaiian Electric...which is soon headed into bankruptcy anyway because of the Lahaina debacle. What would you have liked MVC to do?

Waiohai is our favorite MVC Kauai resort...our favorite MVC Hawaiian resort for that matter. But we've very much enjoyed our stays at KBC (even after Sonesta took over the hotel portion) and have another booked for next year. The OF rooms have wonderful views, Nawiliwili Bay is awesome, the pool/hot tub complex is huge, there is plenty of good eats within walking distance, and the close proximity to Lihue, Kapaa, and Nounou (aka Sleeping Giant) has its advantages.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Op has a very valid point and I doubt that they would have been upset with their stay if things had been normal. They weren't - we experienced it too. What we expected: a room at a beautiful resort in Hawaii with painting happening during our stay - that is what was noted on our II confirmation. We did get the vague boilerplate language about "ongoing construction" that is on every II exchange. What we got was full time construction noise because it is actually a major renovation, with our room overlooking the construction dumpster where they tossed in the concrete. It is a jarring difference when it is happening to you. We had no wifi at the resort while we were there. We only got lies about the wifi - "yes we are aware - it should be back up soon" - when we discovered by accident that there were issues all over the island with the internet provider. I realize that the resort can't do anything about something like that, but why lie about it? That was irritating. Then there were the construction lies - "They don't start until 9am but call security if they start earlier". Nope, they did start early, and nope, security did not tell them to stop when we called. You try to make the best of it, but it is a frustrating experience no matter what.

FWIW, people staying in the rooms at Royal Sonesta are also dealing with this. I had a client who was there last week and she said that it was noisy. But she knew that it was going to happen - there was a big notification box that popped up when she booked her rooms. She knew and she chose to proceed. Those of us who came in via timeshare were not given the same notification. If I had known, we would have passed - I am noise sensitive - but no notice was given other than painting (a quiet renovation) and the boilerplate language about general ongoing construction. It wasn't like Marriott didn't know. It has been ongoing for about a year now and should be finished by the holiday season.

Without construction noise I would have no issues staying here. But under the current circumstances it would be a pass for me.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, we did get notice of ongoing construction on our II confirmation (spelling mistakes and all):

The adjecent resort, The Royal Sonesta Kauai Resort, is undergoing renovation. Please anticipate construction noise during normal business hours. Work is
expected to continue through December 31st, 2023.

This was an early July '23 week, confirmed in mid-November '22.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We had a similar issue with the Marriott Wailea hotel reno about 15 years ago. The jackhammer noise still rings in my head. Never again.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Heads up.... based on the link in post #16, construction is expected to last through 2024.

1693152636276.png

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FWIW, we did get notice of ongoing construction on our II confirmation (spelling mistakes and all):

This was an early July '23 week, confirmed in mid-November '22.
I went back and found that within our final-final confirmation that was sent the next day (you know how II sends two emails and it is the second one that has the official confirmation?) I can't remember if it was the verbiage when I made the trade but it is a good reminder to triple check all of the fine print before confirming. It was my third eplus so I was stuck anyway. I really do check - mostly because I am noise sensitive. I distinctly remember the painting because I gave that some thought - I remember one tugger whose balcony was impacted during a painting update - but I decided to roll the dice on that. I wasn't too worried about general construction noise but I definitely didn't expect jackhammering, that is for sure.

Btw, here is the full notice in the final confirmation - I find it interesting to note that the painting reno is not mentioned here:
You are responsible for imposed utility/energy surcharges, occupancy or similar taxes, service charges, telephone connection fees, long distance phone charges, personal
charges, and applicable amenities usage, housekeeping or resort fees.
Resort parking is typically limited to one car per unit. A parking fee may be charged. Some resorts may have no on-site parking, requiring the use of an alternate off-site
facility at an additional fee. Prior arrangements must be made for parking trailers, boats, motorcycles or any type of recreational vehicle (usually at an off-site location).
Guests are responsible for payment of a nightly State of Hawaii Transient Occupancy Tax, assessed on all units.
see check in directions under how to get there.
Construction/renovation/maintenance projects may be ongoing, year-round and are typically noted. For concerns about unforeseen projects, please contact the resort
directly. The adjecent resort, The Royal Sonesta Kauai Resort, is undergoing renovation. Please anticipate construction noise during normal business hours. Work is
expected to continue through December 31st, 2023.
Ordinarily, daily maid service will not be provided. At those resorts offering such a service, it is usually at an additional fee.
See check in instructions for direction.
The resort’s website is: www.marriottvacationclub.com
Please review the Confirmation Certificate provided for each completed transaction to verify that all resort and date information reflects the vacation arrangements
requested.
The host accommodations are for use by the individual named on the Certificate and accompanying guests, unless a Guest Certificate is obtained. The Certificate recipient
must be over the age of 21.
The host unit may vary from the one indicated. The Certificate does not indicate that a particular view or unit location will be provided at the destination resort. If
confirmed to multiple stays at the same resort, you may be required to move to another unit for each stay confirmed.
Pets are not allowed on-site unless otherwise indicated

So now we know that at least with II, they may slip a material piece of information into the boilerplate t&c. Lesson learned.

I wish that I had thought to check the Marriott site. That is a lot more specific information. It is great advice to check there in the future.

PeteBob

Reaction score
Yes

PeteBob

Reaction score
If the Sonesta restaurant included Marriott guests then most likely Marriott was paying too.
Marriott claims the have no responsibility.

PeteBob

Reaction score
Marriott employee stated it was not their problem so why would Marriott take any action?