• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

late July weather in Hilton Head--how bearable for a NorCal girl??

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread is kind of surprising to me because I consider HH and Myrtle Beach as summer only destinations. I've known people who went for Spring Break and were disappointed that it was chillier than they thought. I think fall would be ideal but I have a 4th grader. I'm a lifelong Michigan resident and find my breaking point is 92 - but I don't remember any of my July/Aug trips to Those locations as being unbearable. We really enjoyed Surfwatch and it has an indoor pool for days with inclement weather. I just got home from more than two weeks in Florida and one week had heat index of 108 where I thought I was going to die if I got out the pool but it was pretty hot back home too. We have a trade to Oceanwatch in MB for next July and will be flying as we always do. Not that much flying from Mi but can imagine this is a big decision for the poster since they are flying across country.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
This thread is kind of surprising to me because I consider HH and Myrtle Beach as summer only destinations. I've known people who went for Spring Break and were disappointed that it was chillier than they thought. I think fall would be ideal but I have a 4th grader. I'm a lifelong Michigan resident and find my breaking point is 92 - but I don't remember any of my July/Aug trips to Those locations as being unbearable. We really enjoyed Surfwatch and it has an indoor pool for days with inclement weather. I just got home from more than two weeks in Florida and one week had heat index of 108 where I thought I was going to die if I got out the pool but it was pretty hot back home too. We have a trade to Oceanwatch in MB for next July and will be flying as we always do. Not that much flying from Mi but can imagine this is a big decision for the poster since they are flying across country.

Not sure about Myrtle's Oceanwatch, which I suspect has lower occupancy rates than Hilton Head in the off-season, but Hilton Head's Grande Ocean is always above 95% (and many times 100% occupancy) in the early months of January, February, March, and then at 100% on through November, with December being slightly lower.

In recent years we have loved going to HH in the "off-season", and enjoy it equally if not more.......it's different but great. We now stay at GO in January, February, March, and April (and again in June), and all of those times are very busy. There are several TUG members who visit HH (and GO in particular) in Dec-Jan-Feb for 10-12 consecutive weeks. They probably consider the summer to be the off-season, and I wouldn't argue with them. :)

To say HH is strictly a summer destination is to miss some of the best times to be there on the island. During most Jan and Feb months we see several random days in the 60s, and they're ideal for golf, tennis, walking, and biking.....not to mention shopping and wining & dining. My wife participates in the GO tennis clinics every single day (weekdays) in Jan and Feb, and the class is full with about 12-14 participants, and has two full-time tennis pros.
We've met several great couples who come each year and have become very close to them---(stayed with one couple last September in Jersey to attend the US Open Tennis Tournament in NYC.)

It's true that Spring Break times can be iffy, but that's always the case during the fringe months, but the corollary to that is that many times it's warm in any of the early months too! The absolute best month imho is April, when it is more often than not absolutely ideal. Those cold times are the exception.

Anecdotally, the longest wait we've ever experienced at Skull Creek Boathouse restaurant occurred on a Monday night in January, and the wait was 2 full hours. (That night we decided to go spontaneously and didn't use the concierge call-ahead perk, so we had to wait.)

Last edited:

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is good to know. I think I could find plenty to do in off-season. But I seem to plan my vacations based on ocean swimming temps. I love the beach and ocean. I do have to say it is my dream to retire in SC someday because I think it has the best year-round temps for my tastes- and the beaches, ocean, nature, and seafood!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My dream is to retire in/near HHI and summer in NH, VT, ME or SF... or Northern MI or MN.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
To y'all that want to retire here, c'mon down. It's great says this Jersey girl who also lived 32 yrs in PA before moving to Sun City Hilton Head 6 yrs ago. I have never regretted that decision.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Anecdotally, the longest wait we've ever experienced at Skull Creek Boathouse restaurant occurred on a Monday night in January, and the wait was 2 full hours. (That night we decided to go spontaneously and didn't use the concierge call-ahead perk, so we had to wait.)

That's because from Dec - Feb the Serg group which owns Skull Creek puts out a BOGO book for all their restaurants. Skull Creek is my favorite restaurant.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just curious for those that say come and regularly visit in the summer, and don't have their home state listed on their profile, what state are they coming from, do they drive and about how long is the trip for them to get to HHI for the week?

As I said earlier if the OP was within a 10 hour or less drive I would say, its hot and humid and you may be disappointed and not like HHI in the summer (if so give it a chance in a different season another time) but a 3 br Surfwatch in July is a great trade and worth the risk.

On the other hand a 7+ hour $2200+ flights for the family plus rental car and then drive from Charleston, Savannah, or Jacksonville to experience HHI in summer for the first time when you are not used to that kind of temperature plus humidity is a different story and I would be much more hesitant to recommend making that trip.

On my last summer trip, two years ago, my mother rarely made it past the balcony during the day and slept and felt horrible for most of her trip to HHI. The beach was tolerable even when not in the water but the pools had very little breeze and unless in the water it was unbearable for her and the walk back to the unit from the adjacent pool took everything out of her. I wasn't so bad on my first summer trip but did feel like I missed a lot being tied to the resort during the day and not wanting to venture forth until after 5pm.
I agree with the points you make! i am looking for a retrade now. i could handle upper 80s but not mid to upper 90s.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have only ever been to HHI between November and early March. Our first time ever there was the week of New Year's. (One of those days that week I was actually on the beach in a swimsuit, albeit not in the ocean.)

Love, love, love HHI in the off and shoulder season. Would never want to bear the crowds and the heat of peak summer.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Not sure about Myrtle's Oceanwatch, which I suspect has lower occupancy rates than Hilton Head in the off-season, but Hilton Head's Grande Ocean is always above 95% (and many times 100% occupancy) in the early months of January, February, March, and then at 100% on through November, with December being slightly lower.

In recent years we have loved going to HH in the "off-season", and enjoy it equally if not more.......it's different but great. We now stay at GO in January, February, March, and April (and again in June), and all of those times are very busy. There are several TUG members who visit HH (and GO in particular) in Dec-Jan-Feb for 10-12 consecutive weeks. They probably consider the summer to be the off-season, and I wouldn't argue with them. :)

To say HH is strictly a summer destination is to miss some of the best times to be there on the island. During most Jan and Feb months we see several random days in the 60s, and they're ideal for golf, tennis, walking, and biking.....not to mention shopping and wining & dining. My wife participates in the GO tennis clinics every single day (weekdays) in Jan and Feb, and the class is full with about 12-14 participants, and has two full-time tennis pros.
We've met several great couples who come each year and have become very close to them---(stayed with one couple last September in Jersey to attend the US Open Tennis Tournament in NYC.)

It's true that Spring Break times can be iffy, but that's always the case during the fringe months, but the corollary to that is that many times it's warm in any of the early months too! The absolute best month imho is April, when it is more often than not absolutely ideal. Those cold times are the exception.

OceanWatch has a very high occupancy rate all year round also. All of their pools are heated plus they have an indoor one. Many people from colder climates go in the winter for the golf. This past January MB had 23 days in Jan when the temp was 50+ degrees. I would imagine golf is one of the biggest draws for HHI in the winter also, it only being two hours south of MB with plenty of courses. Living in NC for a very long time now we have become accustomed to the heat and humidity. Since I'm on blood thinners it takes a lot to make me get overheated. Never forget coming here from SoCal 26yrs ago and my wife being told the humidity wasn't bad because it made your skin glow! She knew right away she was in trouble! Glow is nothing more than another word for sweat!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
That's because from Dec - Feb the Serg group which owns Skull Creek puts out a BOGO book for all their restaurants. Skull Creek is my favorite restaurant.

Well aware of the SERG perks and BOGO deals....why do you think we hit Hilton Head in "off-season"???? There are too many reasons, but you are correct to point out that the dining deals contribute greatly. Shhhhhhhh, DON'T TELL ANYONE please!!!!! Costs overall are less than half considering everything, accommodations and "upkeep" alike.

We already have reservations for 2017---- a week in Jan, 2 weeks in Feb, a week in March, a week in April, and our usual 4 weeks in June...and honestly, I like the earlier weeks best.

If you only knew how many TUG members (AND OTHERS whom we've met) take advantage of those first 3 months! It's NOT brutally cold as you think or imagine---instead it's wonderful. And half price for dining at some of the best restaurants anywhere??? It's amazing.

And who cares if you can't swim in the ocean? Do you really have to do that? As we do, you can still get up at the crack of dawn, drool over the rising sun on the horizon, walk in the surf and enjoy it. Not too cold. We adore it. The beach has many walkers in the early morning hours. It's absolutely gorgeous, and without the crowds.

And back to the BOGO offers at SERG restaurants---now you can use them multiple times using the same booklet, instead of the "once per booklet coupon". They will absolutely allow unlimited use of the BOGO offers throughout that specified season. And if you don't have a booklet, they'll give you one at the door. Half price meals essentially. Where else can you do that?

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankie Bones is another SERG restaurant and we like that one too - it's where we first met you, Pat (and Frankie)!

One Hot Mama's is also a SERG restaurant we like and we have picked up the booklets there (and is less crowded than Skull Creek or Frankie Bones, if you are in Coligny area and hungry and don't want a wait).