• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Inexpensive family friendly timeshares

PeteT

TUG Member
Reaction score
So What would everyone recommend for an inexpensive time share for a family with a 3 year old, preferably within a few hours drive of Long Island, NY?

Also is there any such thing as a timeshare that does week-end stays instead of full weeks? I'm totally new to this stuff. My wife owns a time share in Hilton Head... but Im clueless and would love to have a goto place for quick get aways.

What do you recommend, and if anyone is trying to get out of something - spam me!

Pete

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So What would everyone recommend for an inexpensive time share for a family with a 3 year old, preferably within a few hours drive of Long Island, NY?

Also is there any such thing as a timeshare that does week-end stays instead of full weeks? I'm totally new to this stuff. My wife owns a time share in Hilton Head... but Im clueless and would love to have a goto place for quick get aways.

What do you recommend, and if anyone is trying to get out of something - spam me!

Pete
Not enough information with which to offer you many solid or specific recommendations, but I'll offer a few thoughts for your consideration anyhow:

1. Timeshare "intervals" are generally sold as full weeks. You can however buy into a "points-based" contract (e.g., a Wyndham UDI contract) which would enable you to "spend" only some of your annually allocated points for stays on a "per night" basis --- if and when space is available at your facility of interest. I'm not suggesting that this is a cost effective approach, as each individual night's stay will use up considerably more than 1/7 of a weeks' allocated points), but it's an option nonetheless.

2. Specific location and / or season matter --- a lot. For a specific example, do not believe for one moment that you are ever going to gain access to summer weekends on Cape Cod via timeshare ownership (unless of course you actually buy a deeded, fixed summer week on Cape Cod, which would certainly not be "inexpensive").

3. With all due respect, you may want to "zero in" and more specifically define your particular geographic range of interest, season(s) of interest, unit size requirements, your budget for a purchase and your budget / pain threshold for mandatory (and annual) maintenance fees.

Frankly, I think that before spending money, you'd be well served by instead first spending some time reading through these forums and building for yourself a solid knowledge base about various timeshare programs, companies, options, reservation policies, and total costs of ownership before considering purchasing anything. You can't just acquire that knowledge by osmosis and there are no simple, "one size fits all" answers; there are many complexities, flavors and limitations to timeshare ownership. Also remember that once purchased (regardless of initial acquisition cost, even if initially acquired for free), annual maintenance fees are forever --- and you should probably assume increases to those fees by 4-6% (at a minimum) each and every year.

I'd also strongly recommend renting a timeshare before actually buying one, in order to better learn and experience for yourself exactly what you need / want / like / dislike in a property or "chain" of properties, as well to help better determine what time(s) of year you are most likely to want to go there. Also keep in mind that your 3 year old will soon enough have a school schedule that you'll need to consider and work with in making travel plans.

As far as "family friendly", all timeshares allow and welcome children, but few timeshare facilities within your geographic range (north to south, that's approximately Maine through Delaware, at best --- dunno about to the west) are going to have lazy rivers or child care, kiddie pools or other such things specifically for children, as sometimes found at some properties. Also, from an occupancy limit standpoint, please remember that the 3 year old "counts" (no matter how cute, small or quiet s/he may be), so don't even bother to consider any studios with a 2 person occupancy limit if 3 of you intend to be there --- that won't fly.

I hope some of this input is of help and / or interest to you. Others will surely offer their own thoughts, perspectives and suggestions. Good luck.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out Villa Roma in the Catskills (trades through II only). Definitely go there first before buying, to see if you like it. Lots of activities for children, child care, entertainment, nice pools in the summer. But parts of the property are worn down, and summer resales aren't cheap, and it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Other choices that are popular with families: Smuggler's Notch in Vermont (might be too far for you) and Split Rock in the Poconos. We always liked the 3brs at Villas of Fairway, also in the Poconos.

We also like most of the timeshares in Williamsburg, Virginia, if that's not too far for you to drive.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score

Pete

Being that you're likely to be limited by the school schedule soon, I'd highly recommend getting something in the summer weeks in Atlantic city NJ.

The beach there is decent, and there is something to do in the boardwalk always. And if you can arrange for babysitting (invite grandma perhaps?), you can even have some mommy and daddy time at night at one of the many venues in AC.

I highly recommend the Marriott Fairway Villas for being relatively kid focused, and would also consider the Brigantine Beach Club.

And, be careful, once the timeshare bug bites you, it gets you good. Only buy a timeshare that you will definitely use. Do not buy something that you MIGHT use, instead, rent it.

With timeshares, it is very hard to do week-end stays instead of full weeks. It is possible, but probably not worth the time and effort to most people. The more realistic option is to buy a tried and true week at a resort in a week of the year that you can use it. Always buy RESALE, of course.

:whoopie:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

The first thing to answer is WHY are you interested in owning a timeshare?

Next, what is suitable now may not be suitable in the future. If I had bought the timeshare that was perfect for our family when my son was 3 (right next to Legoland) we would not enjoy it as much now as we did then. I'm glad I thought about what we would all like in the longer term future (right next to the beach).

Also think long long term - when you want to get rid of it. Factor in the cost of dumping it and do not assume you can sell it or give it away. For me, I factored in about $1k as what it would cost to get out of an unwanted timeshare quickly and easily and adjusted the price I was willing to spend to buy accordingly, even for timeshares I think have value that I can sell.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP(well, wife) already own at Hilton Head. So really, what's needed is to learn how to exchange what they already own for intervals they want to use. This will change over time. For now, a 3 year old will only care about a pool and time with mom and dad. Later will come theme parks, beaches, entertainment, school schedule etc. etc.

So, Pete, read all you can about exchanging. There's a TUG forum for that. Especially the stickies at the top. Research what your wife owns. Size, season, which exchange company it uses. You can't exchange if you don't know what wampum you have for trading material.

Then, to be able to research resorts, and their reviews, use your TUG membership which unlocked all the thousands of reviews in the red stripe at the top of the page.

You may have to reconsider some of your priorities, like -3 hours driving time. And long weekends at resorts. Few timeshare exchanges work that way. Many more resorts are further away, and most resorts move in is on Friday or Saturday for a week.

First things first. Find out what your wife already owns. We can give more targeted help if you share that info.

Jim

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I live in the Hudson Valley and we have owned at Smugglers Notch in Vermont since 1999. Can't beat it for a family resort. And tons of people from Long Island and New Jersey own there.

Too far for a weekend stay though. Need to spend a week there. Plus there is so much to do you won't want to leave.

Whatever you need to know about it- just ask. Check out their website as well.

Last edited:

Here There

TUG Member
Reaction score
A resort with Bonus Time + Day Use ... perhaps?

Also is there any such thing as a timeshare that does week-end stays instead of full weeks?

I'm based in the West Coast so I'm not that familiar with specific resorts near NY. However I have always used TSs for either budget-conscious weekend stays and/or spontaneous road trips. So while you're shopping around, it might be good to keep these usage ideas in mind:

- BONUS TIME: ask about the resort's policy, rates, and lead-time. [In my case I used to stay every other weekend on BT at a ski resort where I owned; now I own at 2 resorts within 1 & 2 hours drive.]

- FREE DAY-USE: the closest resort to my home also allows owners to day-use for free while charging exchange guests a daily resort fee. [I have exercised this privilege by enjoying a quiet moment poolside or at the clubhouse veranda, esp en route to/from points beyond. And have seen others hosting pool or BBQ parties.]

- CASH RENTALS & NETWORK EXCHANGES: this same resort is managed by Grand Pacific which features frequent 50% off bonus-time "GETAWAYS" making it cheaper to stay that way than occupying one's owned week. [So I usually lockoff my 2 BR -> 3 studios & trade them with GPX during one of their size upgrade sales ...resulting in my getting to stay at my home resort Plus enjoying 2-3 exchanges while paying just 1 MF.] My Worldmark membership (alas, also west-coast focused) also offers cash rentals that are lower than my MF rate.

These ideas are merely suggestions of what to keep in mind as you shop around for that perfect resort to own. And since your wife already owns a TS at HHI, perhaps dirt-cheap last minute weekly rentals might work just as well for quick getaways as owning.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Another option is Waters Edge in Westport, Connecticut. It is on the sound. My parents used to own there. It is not a Gold Crown resort and I haven't been there in many. many years, so not sure how it is now.

There is Gurneys out on Montauk, also.

If you are looking for long weekends, honestly I would just rent.

And you are already near plenty of beaches, but if you want a different experience - mountains, lakes, etc. you will obviously have to drive. PA has a few timeshare resorts in the Poconos area. There is one in northern New Jersey. And the Villa Roma as was mentioned in Sullivan County, NY where I live.

I prefer New England which is why I own there. Besides Vermont and New Hampshire, where I own, you might consider Massachusetts and Rhode Island and Maine as well.

And I would add it all depends on how you like to vacation. And if you want something that you can visit every year and grow into with your family, with an option to maybe exchange occasionally.

Best to rent at a few of them to see what you might want to commit to.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

Pete
I sent you a PM