• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how old for snorkling?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Somehow I missed this part of your post before. Close to shore and 4ft is our cup of tea! He's 54 in on his flat feet so this gives me hope!

The pool noodle idea is good too. Exactly how early in the morning should we try to be there for a spot?

I'd say arrive no later than 9 or so. I've driven by there at 10 and it was already closed, especially on weekends. Later in the afternoon, say after 3 or so, it opens up again. In between it's a "one out, one in" kind of thing.

Let me again mention the boogie board with viewing port. It'll give him a safe thing to hang onto, and still be able to see fish under the water. Think of a glass bottom boat. Sort of. :)

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have to add my vote to the "do NOT stand up" crowd. It kills the coral reef.

In my opinion, if you can't swim, you should not be in the ocean. The ocean has waves, and currents, and unexpected things happen. That's why so many people drown in Hawaii every year.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
A good first snorkeling experience is from a boat on a snorkeling outing. The boat takes you to a safe snorkeling location. They have experienced people on board who are accustomed to dealing with first time snorkelers. For a newbie it's much easier to put on the gear and dive in from a boat then it is to do a shore entry. They have noodles and all of the gear. You can always stay close to the boat.

If a person can lay in the water and kick, they can probably snorkel successfully and safely. Oh - and you have to be able to not panic if a bit of salt water gets in the snorkel.

I'd actually disagree with this. My daughters are good swimmers, we've got our own gear including snorkel vests and have done lots of snorkel boat trips, although in the caribbean not HI. Way too many of the trips have been difficult snorkeling because of rough water, with waves that made floating tough, difficulty getting in and out of the boats, etc. Yes, a few were good, and as an experienced snorkeler, I could handle many of the situations. But many times my daughters and lots of other passengers weren't able to enjoy the view. Unless you know it's going to be like glass, jumping into open water with snorkel gear and being comfortable requires good swimming skills. It's not where I'd take a weak swimmer.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'd actually disagree with this. My daughters are good swimmers, we've got our own gear including snorkel vests and have done lots of snorkel boat trips, although in the caribbean not HI. Way too many of the trips have been difficult snorkeling because of rough water, with waves that made floating tough, difficulty getting in and out of the boats, etc. Yes, a few were good, and as an experienced snorkeler, I could handle many of the situations. But many times my daughters and lots of other passengers weren't able to enjoy the view. Unless you know it's going to be like glass, jumping into open water with snorkel gear and being comfortable requires good swimming skills. It's not where I'd take a weak swimmer.

And I would totally disagree with this, based on my experiences in Hawaii. I have seen many more accidents and people in obvious trouble at beaches in Hawaii than I have on boats. Most trips to Hawaii at least once I see someone at a beach coming out of the water cut and bleeding. I've never seen that on a boat trip. when we stayed at Lawai Beach Club one time we could sit on the lanai with a Mai Tai and watch people getting in trouble.

Also I have never seen anyone on a boat excursion standing on the coral reef, killing the reef. But at beaches it's commonplace to see people standing on the reef.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
As I said in my first post, Hanauma Bay is probably the easiest snorkeling on Oahu. ...
Dave
Sometimes that is true...

When the tide is going out, the current through the slots (dive here) can be more than you can swim against.
d002128.jpg

The best snorkeling is outside the barrier reef. We had a great dive there. But ended up swimming against the ebb tide (which is why you plan to end a dive with 500# We used 300# getting back through the slot).

More about Hanauma Bay (NOTE: "Be forewarned, however, this is an advanced dive, as rip currents can sweep you along.")

In the summer, some of the sites on the northshore can be very nice.

Check out shorediving.com for more information...

BASIC OCEAN SAFETY TIPS:

• Swim in Lifeguarded Areas
  • Never Swim Alone
  • Don't Dive Into Unknown Water or Into Shallow Breaking Waves
  • Ask a Lifeguard About Beach and Surf Conditions Before Swimming
  • If You Are Unable to Swim Out of a Strong Current, Signal for Help
  • Rely on Your Swimming Ability Rather Than a Flotation Device
  • Look For, Read and Obey All Beach Safety Signs and Symbols
  • If in Doubt, Just Stay Out!

Last edited:

danb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Snorkeling in Hawaii

I agree about not walking on the reefs. Seen so many people do it. Tuesday at Lanikai beach a couple of small shacks swam by only 10 ft from shore. They sure cleared out the water quickly.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do not have to be a strong swimmer to snorkel if you are in a relatively flat snorkel area. DH can't really swim but has snorkeld a few times - In Hanauma Bay at at tunnels on Kauai. He liked Hanauma Bay a lot as he could just stand in the water, put his mask down and watch the fish, as they were close to the shore (This was on sand, not coral. We both know to never stand on coral.) If DS wants to be able to stand up he needs to stay away from the coral, which can be done here.

Although I still don't agree that this is a great place to snorkel, in general. When we were there all the coral was brown and the water was overcrowded with people. It is safe, but unless you are diving, does not have a good view of nice coral IMHO

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Lots of good info here. Based upon our last 10 - 12 trips, I would offer the following:

I agree with Steve about snorkeling of for a boat. Those were definitely the easiest for us. The water is sufficiently deep so that you won't have to worry about stepping on any coral. The staff are helpful for beginners - they have seen it all. They have the flotation belts and pool noodles too. We've never had any issues with waves. Perhaps the Carribbean is different from Hawaii. I've only snorkeled in Hawaii. Our favorite snorkeling is off of the Big Island.

I was scared to snorkel in Hanauma Bay because it was low tide and I felt like I was right on top of the coral. I did it but I didn't enjoy it. I have pretty bad claustrophobia so I think it may just be me though.

My youngest daughter went on a snorkel trip off of the big island when she was nine. She couldn't do it. She was a proficient swimmer but hated having the mask on her face and didn't like breathing through the snorkel. You just never know. This same kid had no problem jumping off of the rock cliff into the water though. Go figure!

I'm sure you will have fun no matter what. I would have him either use a noodle if he can snorkel, or the boogie board with the see through mask if he doesn't like the snorkel.

barefootnAR

Reaction score
Please DONOT use a noodle as a flotation device for your son.These items can float way. He should wear a snorkel vest and they do come in kids sizes, when ever he is in the water at this stage. The snorkel vest and board is a good combination. From experience we always had our nieces and nephews in snorkel vest when they were 3 to 8 or 9 yrs and they swam like little fish. Plus Dad never let them snorkel with any adult that didn't also have a snorkel vest on. You must be safe to help the youngster if they need help. All 4 adults were advance snorkelers and swimmers but two adults always had on the vest when we had the kids. Safety in the ocean is different than safety in a pool.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
We have no desire to go out far at all or be standing on any reefs. I just meant, are there parts up closer to the beach in shallow water where we can just dunk under and look (standing on sand), as jrl said. From the pictures of the bay, especially when it's low tide, it looks like we could see a bit, though I understand it won't be ideal. I think it will be good enough for us though! :)

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I remember taking two girlfriends with me to the Big Island and one of the things they wanted to do was snorkel. We did a boat tour that went to two sites. At the first, the water was so rough with a significant current. One of them never got in the water due to barfing and the other went back onto the boat after about 15 minutes of fighting the water. Our second stop was better but the first gal never could get into the water after getting so nauseated. Clearly snorkeling for her was not a wise choice.

Point is, not all boats take you to smooth, flat water . . . and even if the area is known to be OK, it could be less than desirable for novice swimmers/snorkelers.

You've received a lot of great advice here, so I'm sure you'll make the best decision for your son. Have a great time!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Don't forget Kauai

When I was last on Kauai, in the Poipu area, we went snorkling at Shipwreck beach (?) which was across the street from Brenecky's restaurant in south Poipu Beach. There was a reef or sand bar and within that it was very shallow. Perhaps 2-3 feet max and no surf. Great for kids. Great for teaching or practicing snorkling.

Dollie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Poipu Beach Park not Shipwreck Beach

When I was last on Kauai, in the Poipu area, we went snorkling at Shipwreck beach (?) which was across the street from Brenecky's restaurant in south Poipu Beach.

Shipwreck Beach is not across the street from Brenecky's restaurant. Poipu Beach Park is and is exactly as stated.

There was a reef or sand bar and within that it was very shallow. Perhaps 2-3 feet max and no surf. Great for kids. Great for teaching or practicing snorkling.

Just don't want anyone to confuss the two. Shipwreck Beach is by the Hyatt and is not shallow, not kid friendly, and can be difficult. As Kauai Revealed says "High surf can create very unfavorable conditions. Even during clam seas, swimming is somethines difficult."

Poipu Beach Park is a great area for kids, the monk seals and turtles like it too. The cove area is good for kids and the area to the right of the sandbar isn't too bad for adult snoorkling either. There are lifeguards, picnic tables, swings, and facilities.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
And I would totally disagree with this, based on my experiences in Hawaii. I have seen many more accidents and people in obvious trouble at beaches in Hawaii than I have on boats. Most trips to Hawaii at least once I see someone at a beach coming out of the water cut and bleeding. I've never seen that on a boat trip. when we stayed at Lawai Beach Club one time we could sit on the lanai with a Mai Tai and watch people getting in trouble.

Also I have never seen anyone on a boat excursion standing on the coral reef, killing the reef. But at beaches it's commonplace to see people standing on the reef.

I have lost count of the number of trips I have taken to Hawaii. Have never seen anyone hurt while on a boat dive. Last trip in January, I helped a woman who had been knocked down by the surf. She was completely helpless and was being pushed and pulled and pounded by the surf. Same trip, my buddy ended up helping a child who was separated from his noodle and was having severe problems keeping head over water. Parents didn't notice until he brought him to shore.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like me. I am not much of a swimmer; never have been. When I'm in deeper water I mostly just lay on my back and kick or do an elementary backstroke. So I swim mostly with my legs. In fresh water I sink.

I snorkel regularly in Hawaii and enjoy it immensely. I'm one of those people that has my own mask and fins (ordered from Snorkel Bob).

I find it quite easy to just lay on my stomach and kick. That's all you have to do. With the fins it's quite easy to tread water and take care of chores such as clearing the mask. I make sure that I don't get far enough out that I can't get back to shallower water. I also make sure I know where there might be rip currents. I don't snorkel where there aren't other people snorkeling.

My point being that you don't need to be a strong swimmer to enjoy snorkeling as long you don't do stupid things and you know enough to know what things are stupid. Practice first in a pool, or in the sandy area at a beach in several feet of water until you get the hang of it. If you feel really uncertain use a noodle for extra flotation. I don't like the noodles, but a lot of people seem to like them.

Same things go for your dad.

I can't swim AT ALL, I always sink - but I do love to snorkel:) Never been to Hawaii, but on both my Mexico trips we went on a snorkeling boat trip, and the guides were wonderful. They kept an eye out for us "no-swimmers" and I never felt unsafe. When it was just my husband and myself snorkeling from Cozumel Palace I made sure I stayed close to him! (AND not too far from the entry point)

Last edited by a moderator:

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
First time to Hawaii and first time snorkling. DS is 7.5 and very tall. He's not a strong swimmer, no treading water for long and mostly swims short distances with his head under the water ( has a hard the with doggy paddle or coming up for a breath mid swim without stopping completely).

Will he be able to snorkle around Oahu? Can you usually touch the bottom and are the reefs shallow? Should we get him a life vest or something? He wouldn't go alone, always with an adult.

This is a gentle reminder that this should be his experience. Don't force the issue with him. If he doesn't want to try it, don't force it. Have to say that any adult in the ocean with him must have a vest on that fits. He must have a vest also. Ocean conditions can change immediately. I remember doing a boat snorkel with DW and DD. DD was 10 or 11. She was an accomplished swimmer at the time. Swim team member since age since 8. She did all events.
She was in water with DW and I was about 20 yards away and I got a cramp in my calf and I yelled in pain. Was not in trouble (know how to do dead man float, etc) and was more exasperated than anything. Daughter was a bullet to me to help and she got to me before the guy on the surf board did.

We have our own mask, fins, and shorty wet suits. We never snorkel without them.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
IMO, Hawaiian waters are much more difficult to swim in compared to, say, the Caribbean. Unlike Caribbean beaches, which tend to slope gradually, Hawaiian beaches tend to drop off quickly and deeply, which can translate into rocking waves, making entry AND exit difficult. I wouldn't let my child of any age snorkel, especially off shore, unless I was confident that he could tread water if separated from his floation device and, most importantly, not panic. Most people are naturally bouyant in ocean waters, except when they panic and start flailing. Learning how to flip over and float is a skill that everyone should master, right along with learning how to tread water.

I third the recommendation to go out on a boat for his first trip. Being able to sit on a ladder to put on fins and your mask is so much less intimdating than having to walk in backwards and time waves. Boats also avoid rip tides, plus all are staffed with lifeguards. If you can't do a boat tour, then certainly target protected bays that are recommended for beginners.

I recommend snorkeling vests for everyone, even great swimmers, for no other reason than because they make spotting you easier. They also come in handy in case of an unexpected cramp or rip tide, etc. However, you have to have the presence of mind to inflate it, which goes back to the "don't panic" mantra. I'd also recommend a wetsuit top, which adds warmth and added buoyancy. 7.5 year old kids tend to not have any body fat, and Hawaiian water can be cold even in the summer.

I see that you're looking into swim lessons. I think that's a great idea. BTW, private lessons are so worth it vs. group lessons, IMO. One on one attention makes a huge difference. And privates usually ends up being more cost effective than group lessons because they'll only need one or two hour lessons. As with everything, some instructors are better than others, so definitely get recommendations on teachers and work your schedule around the teacher instead of the other way around.

Good luck and happy snorkeling!

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I have to weigh in here. I spend a LOT of time in the water snorkeling and I have snorkeled every inch of all 4 of Ko Olina's Lagoons. I have also spent a LOT of time at Hanauma Bay and have taken small kids out many times.

I strongly recommend Ko Olina Lagoons OVER Hanauma Bay for a beginner swimmer. The shape of the lagoons offers a wall that is not in the direct current and is teeming with sea life. Lagoon 2 is my personal favorite as there are often turtles there in the morning. There is also a large rock formation that you can walk to that has a lot of fish swimming around it. Lagoon 3 is also good with very nice walls that offer a lot of fish. The bottom is sand so there is minimal risk of standing on coral.

Here is a picture of lagoon 3. The areas where there are black arrows are areas that your son will be able to enjoy the fish. In our trip in March this year, there was a large sea turtle eating at the right arrow.

KoolinaSnorkel.jpg

Have a great time!