• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much are these owners going to actually make on these rentals? Not worth it to me!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
With the $99 rental success fee + the cost of $59 for the verify/protect option, this is a very expensive way to rent DVC:

1714930739464.png

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the overall cost to the owner? Not really tracking DVC prices these days?

Edited... I get it now. It's for a single night stay

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Total cost to list verify/ protect is $59, plus $99 for having a successful rental. $158 for each reservation in total cost. Maybe RW does a deal for some owners?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Total cost to list verify/ protect is $59, plus $99 for having a successful rental. $158 for each reservation in total cost. Maybe RW does a deal for some owners?

The $99 doesn't apply to ordinary "verified and protected". Only the "full service" ones. Otherwise it's just $49 for "Verified and protected.

And yes, they do have multiple listings discounts for those who list often - it's something like a $5 discount for 5+ listings and $10 discount or 10+ listings.

And speaking of listing a lot, I suspect these listings are by DVC Shop - they list hundreds of listings on Redweek at some of the cheaper resorts with the hardest rooms to get (like AKV Jambo Value, and BWV Standard views) and also resorts easier to book like OKW and SSR. They may they run some kind of web crawler to pick those up when walkers drop them (at the hard to book resorts). Given their listing volume, I imagine they pay Redweek much less than a typical owner on listing fees because they are all "verified and protected" and Redweek also picks up the 8%-10% commission from the renter. They probably list the listings in an automated way via Software/API. These are getting to be 30 days out so the prices seem reduced.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you are right about the company that is listing these. I have several listings for Disney that I didn't add full service, and I am thinking of just biting the bullet and pay the fee. It's so much money, but my rentals seem to not be moving. I did rent one on Koala, once again, after I noted on my RW ad that I also have the listing there for immediate and guaranteed booking.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The $99 doesn't apply to ordinary "verified and protected". Only the "full service" ones. Otherwise it's just $49 for "Verified and protected.
Perhaps you missed this thread? The $99 when rented now applies to anything with payment protection;

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At that price of $99 for verify, it's amazing how many people list with that cost attached. I wish Koala was a household name because I am always aware of exactly how much money I will make with Koala.

If I list on RW, I have to add that $99 and listing fee to my Koala listing cost because RW won't reimburse for a failed rental. I have had a LOT of failed rentals on RW lately. I am worried about my listings of Westin for whale season because no inquiries. I may have to reduce my price.

RW won't verify my Shell reservations, and they add those warnings. My self-service listings do not rent. This is new for me. I am sick over it, actually.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Perhaps you missed this thread? The $99 when rented now applies to anything with payment protection;

I did miss that one...!

Reaction score
DVC is not like a regular timeshare. It is relatively profitable to rent in demand locations for 2x maintenance fees quite easily.

Annual dues is around $9pp and rentals are around $18-20pp so most experienced renters easily make money. These RW fees do put a little dent in the profit but it is not huge.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC is not like a regular timeshare. It is relatively profitable to rent in demand locations for 2x maintenance fees quite easily.

Annual dues is around $9pp and rentals are around $18-20pp so most experienced renters easily make money. These RW fees do put a little dent in the profit but it is not huge.
I make money, but it seems that I can only rent December dates. I tried October, June, New Year's, lots of dates, but December really does seem to rent well because it's low in points cost for most of the month, and it's a beautiful time to be in the parks.

trippka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Hawaii Collection, Diamond Resorts Cabo Azul Collection, Grand Colorado Peak 8, Grand Timber Lodge, Grand Lodge on Peak 7, Vidanta, Westin Lagunamar, Palace Resorts, Hard Rock, Marriott Aruba Surf, Marriott Kauai Beach
I occasionally rent weeks and pay for the full service. The cost is only a few $ more per night, and usually far cheaper than what the timeshare rents for by the night on other platforms.

Reaction score
Also, it is much harder (and riskier), but more profitable, to spec rent DVC weeks than it is to simple rent points to book for a customer request, so RW is a good option to other sites. I personally never spec rent weeks as the work is much harder than simple renting DVC points, but glad there are several ways to make DVC work.

iftravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Hilton Head
Also, it is much harder (and riskier), but more profitable, to spec rent DVC weeks than it is to simple rent points to book for a customer request, so RW is a good option to other sites. I personally never spec rent weeks as the work is much harder than simple renting DVC points, but glad there are several ways to make DVC work.
which one is easiest to rent points? David's?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
which one is easiest to rent points? David's?
If you are okay making $16 per point, it is a great option. I have used it, but my price point is $20/pp.

iftravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Hilton Head
BTW, which resorts (animal kingdom, saragata and key west?) are easy to exchange into and which are next to impossible (Aulani?). Can someone comment on the possibility ranking? Would be very help. Think I will save the points for those never in exchange.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW, which resorts (animal kingdom, saragata and key west?) are easy to exchange into and which are next to impossible (Aulani?). Can someone comment on the possibility ranking? Would be very help. Think I will save the points for those never in exchange.
This thread is about rentals of owned DVC points. The sightings board is a good place to look for Disney resort sightings.

If you want to exchange and then rent the exchange on RW, I highly recommend you not do that. You could lose your II account, not that anyone is slowing down with the Disney exchange rentals. It's a robust business, apparently.

iftravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Hilton Head
This thread is about rentals of owned DVC points. The sightings board is a good place to look for Disney resort sightings.

If you want to exchange and then rent the exchange on RW, I highly recommend you not do that. You could lose your II account, not that anyone is slowing down with the Disney exchange rentals. It's a robust business, apparently.
Oh no not renting the exchanges. Since exchanging into some resorts is easy and cost effective (learned here), I’m thinking of what to do with the points I own (perhaps save for hard to go resorts vs rent out).

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Oh no not renting the exchanges. Since exchanging into some resorts is easy and cost effective (learned here), I’m thinking of what to do with the points I own (perhaps save for hard to go resorts vs rent out).
This is what I do / am planning to do. Saving points for the resorts that aren’t SSR, OKW, or AKL. That’s basically all you can get through exchanges with the occasional Wilderness Lodge and then the other resorts incredibly rarely.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I do / am planning to do. Saving points for the resorts that aren’t SSR, OKW, or AKL. That’s basically all you can get through exchanges with the occasional Wilderness Lodge and then the other resorts incredibly rarely.
Yup being able to exchange has made an huge difference- So for the last two years used DVC points at VGC and traded into SSR OKW and AKV with adopted units.

iftravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Hilton Head
I just tried David's and in a couple of days they sent me several rental requests (beats my expectations!). My question is if I go ahead book the reservation, is there a scenario that my reservation will not be honored or canceled by the guest? I could posibly get my points back but some borrowed points could get stuck or encumbered. Not sure how David's handles things like this, if anyone knows, please feel free to share experience.

iftravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Hilton Head
I just tried David's and in a couple of days they sent me several rental requests (beats my expectations!). My question is if I go ahead book the reservation, is there a scenario that my reservation will not be honored or canceled by the guest? I could posibly get my points back but some borrowed points could get stuck or encumbered. Not sure how David's handles things like this, if anyone knows, please feel free to share experience.
Got from David's:
"There is a time between when the reservation has been booked and when the guest has paid for the reservation during which the guest could decide to cancel. In this case, the guest would lose their deposit.

In this scenario, we would ask you to cancel the reservation and we would return the points to our rental queue in a priority status. The priority status means that we would reach out to you first when we have a request that works with your points in an attempt to get them rented very quickly to make up for the cancellation.

Once the reservation has been secured and the guest has paid (which typically happens within a 24 - 48 hour time frame from when the reservation has been secured) you are then guaranteed the full payment. It is sent to you in a 70/30 split, with the first 70% sent to you once the payment in full has been made by the guest, and the remaining 30% on the guest's check in date. "

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am just curious as to who would be wanting to make these kinds of single night reservations as a guest. You can't get in to the room till 4pm and have to be out by 11am. Seems like a lot of cash for just a night.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I am just curious as to who would be wanting to make these kinds of single night reservations as a guest. You can't get in to the room till 4pm and have to be out by 11am. Seems like a lot of cash for just a night.

I‘d add a one night DVC stay to a longer non DVC stay. Check in early, stow your bags, enjoy early entry, come back and hang at the pool, check into room, eat dinner and then enjoy the extended evening hours. Then if I had the energy, I’d do early entry at the closest park before check out.

I hate crowds so will go to great lengths to avoid them.