• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV MAX Increase Points

careesound

Reaction score
Hi, I am the owner of HGV MAX Trust - US Collection. I purchased this timeshare during my stay at Lake Tahoe Resort. I own 5440 Points every other odd year. I am happy with the MAX program so far however points are too expensive compared to HGV Max from HGVC side.

My question is, How can I increase my points through the resale route?

careesound

Reaction score
@WaikikiFirst ,
  • Are you suggesting that I buy resale deeds from Tugs Marketplace? If Yes, then which one?
  • Shall I buy Diamond Resort Resale or HGVC Resale?
  • Do new resale points add up to my Max account?
  • Can I combine points from HGVC(resale) and HGV MAX Trust US Collection to make a booking?

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
you could buy from there. you could buy from Diane Nadeau @ timeshareresalebroker.com or something like that or the ?initials "AA"? guy on Maui @ advantagevacations.com or something like that. there must be a list around here
Which one? oh boy, a lot of particulars go into that decision. You already own Diamond, plus now HVC vs HGVC becomes even more subjective to YOUR desires
I know little about Max really, but given the point of it, I'd bet No & No to those 2 questions. THE MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION, and you're the 2nd person I'll ask this of in 2 days: What in the WORLD makes you think Max is valuable when you have < 10,000 pts?
Define the benefits, then quantify them for your specific situation. I'm dying to hear.

careesound

Reaction score
Why do I need more points?
It's too late to rescind the HGV MAX that I purchased. I know it's a bad deal when I pay ~ $2000$ ($958+$958) for 5440 points, which gets me a weekend in San Luis Bay Inn in high season.
To vacation comfortably (twice a year), I need at least 20K points in the MAX Program.

I can keep using what I have purchased, or I have the option to return it to the developer (The initial purchase amount is paid, no loan). If I keep using it, I know for sure I don't want to buy more points from lying Developers. They quoted me another $20K to make it 8000 points yearly.

I am thinking of buying some resale points to make HGV MAX usable. If not, I will be stuck with high maintenance fees with hardly any use.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Why do I need more points?
It's too late to rescind the HGV MAX that I purchased. I know it's a bad deal when I pay ~ $2000$ ($958+$958) for 5440 points, which gets me a weekend in San Luis Bay Inn in high season.
To vacation comfortably (twice a year), I need at least 20K points in the MAX Program.

I can keep using what I have purchased, or I have the option to return it to the developer (The initial purchase amount is paid, no loan). If I keep using it, I know for sure I don't want to buy more points from lying Developers. They quoted me another $20K to make it 8000 points yearly.

I am thinking of buying some resale points to make HGV MAX usable. If not, I will be stuck with high maintenance fees with hardly any use.
Diamond properties have crazy high MFs.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
need more points?
OK. I get it. I had it backwards. You have Max and realize "need at least 20K points in the MAX Program." Ok. Agree. I'd say 30K or more, but you know you.
Still, depends on
how old are you? where do you live? is there a location you want to visit frequently or are you more interested in seeing a bunch of places? in HGVC, would you use "Home Week"? etc etc. HVC vs HGVC is very much up to you. Do not believe that Max eliminates all barriers between them.
for the #s, here is a quick test for any HGVC listing: take the Initial Cost, add 10 yrs of maintenance fees (not discounted or inflated, just the most recent x 10), then divide the whoel thing by the #Pts. If it comes out < $1.80, it is a good deal. Near $1.50 or below a V Good deal. At $2.00 or above, pass. but again that depends on the specific HGVC property to me. If you will always exchange it, the # shoudl be lower since exchanging means your time spent + fees. But if you're not exchanging, Max is even more useless anyway.
there is a thread here right now from somebody who bought a HGVC LV Blvd deed. His # on that metric is $1.30 I think. Damn good.
so exec summary, be detailed about what you want, (unless it is "I just want points and I'm willing to become an expert to make them work for me all over the place").
If you "just want cost-effective pts", go to those 3 places I mentioned and calc that metric on a bunch of th elistings. You'll figure out wheat & chaff pretty quickly.

"San Luis Bay Inn" ... so maybe you're in CA?

careesound

Reaction score
Yes, near Santa Cruz, CA.

I am in my early 30s. I like to go to the Tahoe Area during the Winter for skiing and to southern California in the Summer. I go to Hawaii maybe every other year, and maybe we will make few trips to Florida Parks since the kids are growing up. I like the idea of buying low-MF HGVC resale deeds. I noticed Vegas deeds have high point values with low MFs. They will be ideal since it lower my MFs and allow me to bring more POINTS into my existing MAX program.

My Questions,
Can I bring in points from resale Vegas deeds into the HGV Max Program that is purchased from Diamond Resorts? I tried contacting the sales guys who sold me HGV MAX; however, they informed me that I must buy more retail points to qualify for the HGV MAX program.

At this point, I do not trust them hence asking fellow Tuggers.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
I live near you. People from SoCal can give you inside dope on this, but first reaction is you could do much worse than this (as an example), unless there is a problem in the fine print
Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa
North America | USA | CA | Carlsbad
$2990.00
Maint. Fees $1555.21
Points 11,200 Hilton Grand Vacation Club HGVC Points
Week 7-52 Floating - First Check In Day 02/16/24 Last Check In Day 12/24/24
2024 11,200 pts / PLATINUM / 2 Br with ANNUAL use, beginning 2025
Hide Listing
Contact Member
WEEK 7 - 52
FIRST - LAST CHECK IN 02/16/24 - 12/24/24
TYPE Floating
FREQ EY
BED 2
BATHS 2
SLEEPS 6
PRICE
$2990.00
LISTING 259824
From that metric I gave you, it look slike $3000 + $1555x10 = $18550 & $18,550 / 11,200 must be about $1.67??

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
another quick metric: when exchanging, you should easily be able to make each HGVC point worth $0.20, so 11K pts are worth $2200/yr, which is almost 50% above the $1555 MFs.
other maybe non-obvious point: some places, like Lagoon in Waikiki, won't meet the metric I gave you because the prices are bid up by people who will buy them and rent them out (for that 50% profit i just showed you) to constant demand. LV & Orlando don't have that. Ski areas it must be seasonal, so takes planning and beating others to the booking, I guess. AZ, Palm Spr, etc prob fall in the middle

Last edited:

careesound

Reaction score
I thought about buying individual deeds of the resorts where I actually want to go. For eg. Marbrisa but booking similar property from MAX beats them. (Riveria Beach Resort 65% off, More on discount below),

Now let me explain what I like about MAX.

They run generous deals on many Diamond Properties. Nowadays, I am seeing deals on a few HGVC properties (Ocean Tower), too. These deals range from 75% to 25% in almost all regions, including Hawaii (The Modern 40% off, Liki Tiki Village 60% Off, Vegas 75% off, Cabo Azule 55% Off). The majority of the deals are properties in their low/mid-season. I have seen few discount on the Platinum season. Some discounts are for Hotel units, while some are usual Timeshare properties.

Max properties have a wider spread. For example, the HGVC portfolio does not include a resort in North California, Kuaui, Lahaina. These are some of the places I have been to and will go to again. Some places where I go for weekend gateways are Mendocino, NAPA, (I am yet to find a timeshare property)

Using my MAX points for these deals would be the most efficient use of my money, but only if I could summon more points.

careesound

Reaction score
MAX is definitely not worth it if I have to buy more points from retail (20K-50k) and more MFs. I would rather put my initial purchase money into NVIDIA :D stock and buy vacations from booking.com or Redweek, which would be cheaper and with no obligation.

Why did I buy MAX in the First Place?
It was marketed to me as a high-quality vacation at a lesser price. This was a totally misleading pitch from the sales guy, who also sugarcoated many things and hid facts.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi, I am the owner of HGV MAX Trust - US Collection. I purchased this timeshare during my stay at Lake Tahoe Resort. I own 5440 Points every other odd year. I am happy with the MAX program so far however points are too expensive compared to HGV Max from HGVC side.

My question is, How can I increase my points through the resale route?
MAX is still pretty new and folks are still trying to figure it out.

HGVC
Prior to MAX, HGVC Developer and Resale points were in the same buckets.
On the HGVC side, Max behaves the same (all in one bucket) - see thread below.

HVC (Diamond)
Prior to MAX, Diamond Developer and Resale points were in separate buckets (see older threads (pre-Max) regarding Diamond Resale below).
So on the Diamond side, those points will probably have a similar behavior.
Hopefully a Diamond owner who purchased Resale points after joining Max can confirm their experience.

Last edited:

careesound

Reaction score

alwysonvac,​

Thanks for your insight.

HGV MAX Owners from HGVC side -> Can use resale points for HGV MAX, confirmed.

HGV MAX Owners from Diamond side -> Diamond Resorts, does not allow to use resale points for the Club, Only within their home collection.

The above fact may or may not be true anymore, especially for HGV MAX. Why? Hilton has acquired Diamond Resorts, and rules May be different under the new umbrella. Diamond only sells HGV MAX from now on. Why would Hilton (the parent company) treat Diamond owners as second-class citizens and not allow them to use resale points?

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
what I like about MAX ... generous deals on many Diamond Properties. ... Max properties have a wider spread. HGVC portolio does not include North California, Kuaui, Lahaina. ... Mendocino, NAPA,
without being an expert, I see your points. I actually mentioned those in a different Max thread recently. Many people here bash Max, but they don't have it, so ...
Now, devil's advocates would say "just buy some resale Diamond pts and trade those into Tahoe, Kuaui, Kaanapali (this doesn't even mention EUROPE). Have 2 separate portfolios: HGVC & HVC, each built on highly-cost-effective resale points. No big advantage to co-mingle them". The difference is they DON'T HAVE Max & you already do, so ... I agree with what you're saying and how you're thinking about it, so I'm sure you're on your way to making it work.
Napa, scoopkona here mentions it as if there is a Hyatt TS there. idk.
just FYI, buying high-Point deeds in Kingsland & LV is the std approach to this for HGVC. Maximize the denominator in the MFs/Pt equation. 2 & 3 bdrms, not 1 bdrm. Plat, not gold. a "Premium" if you find it. And at 30 yrs old, you'll have it for a long time so that approach is right for you

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
not worth it if I have to buy more points from retail (20K-50k) and more MFs. I would rather put my initial purchase money into NVIDIA
LOL. Don't get me started. Oh boy. But the zeitgeist here is that a TS is not an investment, so thinking of any "investee thingee" as an alt use of the TS capital will start an argument. Go figure. I avoid using the dreaded "I-Word". It has been known to cause mayhem

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
HGV Max - you can use resale points if your retail purchase comes "after" the ownership of the resale points. It doesn't work the other way around. ie you can't buy points to get into Max and then later buy more points resale and have them be usable in Max. You'd need to buy more retail points again.

careesound

Reaction score
HGV Max - you can use resale points if your retail purchase comes "after" the ownership of the resale points. It doesn't work the other way around. ie you can't buy points to get into Max and then later buy more points resale and have them be usable in Max. You'd need to buy more retail points again.
Does this rule apply to both HGV Max Deeded owners(bought at HGVC properties) and HGV Max Trust owners(bought at HVC / Diamond properties)?

From this link, https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/anyone-bought-resale-after-joining-max.351658/

Buying more points "after" the initial MAX purchase appears to work for HGV Max Deeded owners.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The above fact may or may not be true anymore, especially for HGV MAX. Why? Hilton has acquired Diamond Resorts, and rules May be different under the new umbrella. Diamond only sells HGV MAX from now on. Why would Hilton (the parent company) treat Diamond owners as second-class citizens and not allow them to use resale points?
Does this rule apply to both HGV Max Deeded owners(bought at HGVC properties) and HGV Max Trust owners(bought at HVC / Diamond properties)?

From this link, https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/anyone-bought-resale-after-joining-max.351658/

Buying more points "after" the initial MAX purchase appears to work for HGV Max Deeded owners.

HGVMax is just a membership program that provides access to resorts across all timeshare systems within Hilton Grand Vacations (see information below). HGV has also included other features to try to get members to upgrade and/or make a developer purchase. Read the various HGVMax threads for more details.

JMHO.. Currently, HGVC owners buying resale points "after" the initial MAX purchase will end up in the same bucket but I believe that will eventually change.
In the past, HGVC has pushed out new "Hilton Club" resort offerings and then later launched system enhancements to manage the separate point buckets (instead of everything being pooled together). Why would they do this? To drive more developer purchases.

1710718868069.png

1710718315250.png

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Haven't others reported being able to use post Max resale points in Max? Perhaps that was just over on the HGVC side...

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Perhaps that was just over on the HGVC side...
That certainly is the experience on the HGVC but I can not speak to the HVC/DRI side.

FloridaArt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts 15,000 points
First post here; hope I'm doing it right. :)

Over the years (Embassy -> Sunterra -> Diamond Resorts) we reached 15k points (VIP level) with DRI. Went to an HGV Owner Update (not long after the merger was announced) and were told: 1) Your VIP status means nothing with HGV. 2) Some of the DRI resorts will be rebranded as HGV and not accessible to you. 3) To convert your 15k points to HGV, please pay $160k! Told sales guy no way, so he got on phone with HQ and got the price down to $80k. Again, I said no way.

HGV bought DRI. I get it. I figured there might be a nominal matriculation fee or something. But $80k? Are you kidding me? Very disappointed in this merger/acquisition.

Today an HGV sales person called to urge me to attend another Owner Update. "By law there are changes to your membership we can only tell you in person, and cannot tell you over the phone, mail, email, or website." Really?? Sounds sketchy to me.

I was a happy camper with DRI. HGV has brought me nothing but stress. Every conversation seems to have the same template: "Welcome to HGV! You're losing something so pay us so you can have what you had before." When HGV bought DRI, did they think we would just open our checkbooks to be able to keep what we already own? Disappointing, and it tarnished the Hilton brand.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
First post here; hope I'm doing it right. :)

Over the years (Embassy -> Sunterra -> Diamond Resorts) we reached 15k points (VIP level) with DRI. Went to an HGV Owner Update (not long after the merger was announced) and were told: 1) Your VIP status means nothing with HGV. 2) Some of the DRI resorts will be rebranded as HGV and not accessible to you. 3) To convert your 15k points to HGV, please pay $160k! Told sales guy no way, so he got on phone with HQ and got the price down to $80k. Again, I said no way.

HGV bought DRI. I get it. I figured there might be a nominal matriculation fee or something. But $80k? Are you kidding me? Very disappointed in this merger/acquisition.

Today an HGV sales person called to urge me to attend another Owner Update. "By law there are changes to your membership we can only tell you in person, and cannot tell you over the phone, mail, email, or website." Really?? Sounds sketchy to me.

I was a happy camper with DRI. HGV has brought me nothing but stress. Every conversation seems to have the same template: "Welcome to HGV! You're losing something so pay us so you can have what you had before." When HGV bought DRI, did they think we would just open our checkbooks to be able to keep what we already own? Disappointing, and it tarnished the Hilton brand.

Welcome to TUG

Don't go to the so called owner update.
It's just a sales presentation where lies will be told and scare tactics will be used in order to get you to spend more money.
Just go on using DRI as you have been. Ignore the noise.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

alwysonvac,​

Thanks for your insight.

HGV MAX Owners from HGVC side -> Can use resale points for HGV MAX, confirmed.

HGV MAX Owners from Diamond side -> Diamond Resorts, does not allow to use resale points for the Club, Only within their home collection.

Good job asking questions and researching before you buy.

The only way to buy HGVC Max for DRI access is through another retail purchase => Expensive. Plus you only get the HGV/DRI property leftovers at 6 months or less from HGVC MAX. Not a fit for your needs. Better to buy more HGV/DRI MAX so you get reservations same as your current points. However that is very expensive (and why you are here).

Other options

a) Get DRI resale points from a DRI owner for free. Look on TUG or timesharenation.com https://www.timesharenation.com/resort/diamond-resorts under "Florida" for free Diamond points. Be very careful to screen before you buy from the estoppel to pick the collection "USA Collection" or "Hawaii Collection" to fit your travel locations. Resale DRI only allows you to use points in the collection it is connected with - you don't get systemwide access like MAX. Same MF/pt as you pay today but unlike retail you have zero up-front cost. Although the points don't combine, you can book back to back reservations from each bucket. You might also need to pay a separate HGVC club fee but hey, you purchased the points for free.

b) Buy former DRI resale deed and trade week for week in the internal DEX trading system or II. Those are not points but very good value. There are experts on this board who know how to extract excellent value from their resale deeds.

c) Rent extra reservations. Find DRI points owners on TUG or elsewhere who can book a stay for you and provide a guest certificate. This option will cost you the same or more than a) above however you don't have the burden of ownership.

YMMV because I am not a DRI/HGV/MAX owner so continue to do your research before you buy. Good luck!

Last edited: