• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Prices are UP, UP, UP and away!!!

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Great deal on the $159! ... I just looked - if I only booked my first 7 days (out of 12), it is $201 for full size. I have one more week to look before I hop on the plan to OGG : )

One week to go, wow! Try a really low bid on Priceline, maybe? Your price is still pretty good and everything is great on Maui :cheer:.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got a nice surprise yesterday. Autoslash found a full size from Budget for $257 which beat my current Costco/Budget ressie for $314. This is for for 12days pickup from OGG starting next Saturday (4/5) :banana:

This is lower than my original goal of $275 - but I will keep looking before I leave home and will try PL as well.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got a nice surprise yesterday. Autoslash found a full size from Budget for $257 which beat my current Costco/Budget ressie for $314. This is for for 12days pickup from OGG starting next Saturday (4/5) :banana:

This is lower than my original goal of $275 - but I will keep looking before I leave home and will try PL as well.

Nice price! Let us know if you get an accepted PL bid because I will be trying for our trip, too!

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I haven't gotten a good price through Priceline in year. Also since we got bitten a few years back in having to pay for the second driver, I've been leery of using them. Just be sure when you bid on Priceline that you know if there could be any additional charges that you haven't pre-paid for.

toyo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked a 14 day Full size car rental with Hertz, for May, for $380 with AAA discount.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

Here is final result for us, with flight in the morning we are done searching...
PL approx $295
Costco 272
Budget 257
Chase UR 208
I prepaid with UR...price was same with Budget and Enterprise, and I went with Budget.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were at the Dollar counter in Maui picking up the car that I booked last week for $148 for a week, the clerk wasted time fiddling with keys. I said to my wife, "she's probably looking for the oldest car. Sure enough, we got a 2012 Nisson Altima with 32,200 miles.

I'm ok with it, we also got a deal for Kona next week. Saved a total of $211.

Been getting up between 4 - 5 AM. Going on 7:30 whale watch tomorrow.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is final result for us, with flight in the morning we are done searching...
PL approx $295
Costco 272
Budget 257
Chase UR 208
I prepaid with UR...price was same with Budget and Enterprise, and I went with Budget.

That is great! What a fantastic price. I don't have a Chase UR. My car is at $153/week/full size right now via Costco/AVIS.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is great! What a fantastic price. I don't have a Chase UR. My car is at $153/week/full size right now via Costco/AVIS.
The place was a madhouse when we arrived at the counter. Large sedans ( full sizes, premiums) were unavailable, so they ended up offering us a minivan UPGRADE for the same cost! The lady first tried to sell us the minivan for an extra $14 per day but I declined, so she ended up upgrading us for no additional charge.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Checked Again - Winner Winner!!!

I checked again and it went from $497 for a full size 12 day rental to $332 for a Premium!!! Very happy!!!:banana:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked again and it went from $497 for a full size 12 day rental to $332 for a Premium!!! Very happy!!!:banana:
that is actually a pretty good price for a premium car.
If you are not already doing so, try autoslash to help you continuously monitor/check for a price is lower than you reserved for.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
that is actually a pretty good price for a premium car.
If you are not already doing so, try autoslash to help you continuously monitor/check for a price is lower than you reserved for.

Very cool. It is now tracked. Thanks!!!

Lauraine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii airfare

I have an exchange into the Cliffs on Kauai for the beginning of June but will most likely cancel because airfares are over $900 and over $1000 for decent flight times. I've been tracking fares since January and they haven't changed. I just refuse to pay this for Hawaii. My girlfriend was going to fly from Atlanta to join me; her airfare is only a few dollars more than my flight from LAX. So the airlines are just gouging west coast flyers to Hawaii.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have an exchange into the Cliffs on Kauai for the beginning of June but will most likely cancel because airfares are over $900 and over $1000 for decent flight times. I've been tracking fares since January and they haven't changed. I just refuse to pay this for Hawaii. My girlfriend was going to fly from Atlanta to join me; her airfare is only a few dollars more than my flight from LAX. So the airlines are just gouging west coast flyers to Hawaii.

Air miles ATL - LAX: 1944

Air miles LAX - HNL: 2615.

So she's paying the same amount of money for a shorter flight. Not sure why you think the airlines are gouging Hawaii flyers. Based on your data it appears to me that if flyers are being gouged, the gouging would be on the mainland.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Here's what I call gouging. I tried to used Delta miles for multi-city interisland flights from LIH -> HNL and HNL -> KOA. They wanted 60,000 miles for two people (for next February). As I recall, interisland flights used to cost 5,000/segment. I tried booking the same flights with Hawaiian, and it was $314 total.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here's what I call gouging. I tried to used Delta miles for multi-city interisland flights from LIH -> HNL and HNL -> KOA. They wanted 60,000 miles for two people (for next February). As I recall, interisland flights used to cost 5,000/segment. I tried booking the same flights with Hawaiian, and it was $314 total.

That is not surprising. February is one of the highest demand months in Hawaii, and the third week of February is probably the highest demand week in Hawaii. OTOH, if you can travel off-peak you can do much better.

I've given up trying to use FF miles for Hawaii in February.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Inconsistent rates

I have been looking at car rental prices almost daily since September for Hawaii. Costco has not been competitive until this week with Discount Hawaii Car Rental.

A couple of interesting things have happened this week. First, Costco did beat my Discount Hawaii Car Rental quote by $22.00 for our July Maui time. However, Discount Hawaii was able to reduce my Oahu week from $$195 for a full size car to $146 for a PREMium size car! This is that July 4th week.

I notice that July prices are usually very high. I notice that my second week in Oahu that the prices are even higher.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have been looking at car rental prices almost daily since September for Hawaii. Costco has not been competitive until this week with Discount Hawaii Car Rental.

A couple of interesting things have happened this week. First, Costco did beat my Discount Hawaii Car Rental quote by $22.00 for our July Maui time. However, Discount Hawaii was able to reduce my Oahu week from $$195 for a full size car to $146 for a PREMM size car! This is that July 4th week.

I notice that July prices are usually very high. I notice that my second week in Oahu that the prices are even higher.

Costco was best for my Maui rental, until a couple days ago when Advantage (with a coupon found in <1 min online) was another 10% less than Costco. I'm paying ~$21 per day for a standard size after all taxes and fees, which I consider to be quite good. Discount HCR wasn't even competitive. Of course, timing and availability is everything.

Sent from my iPad

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco rates often go down just before a trip, but I found this year the rates for Palm Springs for early April hardly went down. The rates went up instead of down. We paid less for a car in Hawaii last Oct. than Palm Springs this year.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Still, don't be surprised if the airlines add "wheel-well class" tickets to their flights in the near future. :eek:

I ran through the terminal building
To fly by my airline
The man said I could ride the wing
And I said that was fine
He said I'll confirm your reservation
And put the plane on hold
He come back and said "Sorry
But that wing space just been sold"

"The Great Airplane Strike"
Paul Revere and the Raiders

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

A couple of interesting things have happened this week. First, Costco did beat my Discount Hawaii Car Rental quote by $22.00 for our July Maui time. However, Discount Hawaii was able to reduce my Oahu week from $$195 for a full size car to $146 for a PREMium size car! This is that July 4th week.

So we're looking at 7/12 - 7/26 on Maui. For Intermediate Costco had been lowest at $655. I have been checking almost daily and price had gone up by $100 after I booked in Sept.

Just today Costco is down to $579, lower by $76. Didn't check other sites because they have always been more expensive but I guess I will do so but happy for the time being saving $75 to $579 now.