• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Wendy's want to become the "Uber" of fast food with surge pricing scheme?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)

Wendy's executive gives update on menu prices: 'We won't get too greedy'​

• Wendy's CFO said it would increase prices by less than 5 percent this year
  • It comes after plans to roll out 'dynamic pricing' unleashed a huge backlash
  • The executive also said the company employs an 'eternal pricing consultant'

They also said Wendy's will still be rolling out digital menus as early as next year.​
'Digital menuboards could allow us to change the menu offerings at different times of day,' they said.​
Wendy's CEO Kirk Tanner first alluded to how its dynamic pricing plans would boost earnings in February during its previous quarterly call with analysts.​
But after DailyMail.com reported on his comments, Americans reacted in horror to subsequent broadcasts and reports in newspapers that they might be expected to pay higher prices at busier times of the day.​

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It i just another fast food joint. I haven't had a Wendy's in more than 20 year. I think they will fall flat on their faces.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like the chili, which now may have its price linked to the outdoor temperature. :rolleyes:

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
I tend to like Wendys for fast food, but if this is happening I'm more than happy to go to pretty much any burger place. Or sub place.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of places do a form in surge pricing with coupons or even apps where certain times offer a discount for making a reservation. Late night menu with limited options. Just more planning and less control. For ride sharing people think its fair or at least have accepted it. It gets more drivers to that area which benefits everyone other then taxis.

For fast food it may take longer to catch on and the first company will take the heat but may be the future.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do like the fact that Wendy’s offers a 10% discount for seniors. But you do have to ask for it.

Dori

Last edited:
Reactions: Tia

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I do like the fact tha Wendy’s offers a 10% discount for seniors. But you do have to ask for it.

Dori
I've found that most places that offer a senior discount you need to ask for it.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Restaurants have had happy hour pricing for years. Just another form of surge pricing.

free2travel

Reaction score
What? a "debacle" "unleashed a huge backlash"? Who is worse at this outrage stuff, Americans or the Brits? It took a UK journalist to "unleash" this? Come on my countrymen, try to keep up in the Outrage Gap.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
What? a "debacle" "unleashed a huge backlash"? Who is worse at this outrage stuff, Americans or the Brits? It took a UK journalist to "unleash" this? Come on my countrymen, try to keep up in the Outrage Gap.

More grist for the perpetually indignant...

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Millions of Americans are fed up with fast-food prices​

• Fast food prices have shot up 33 percent since 2019, figures show
  • Costs at the supermarket have only gone up 26 percent in the same time
  • McDonald's has upped its prices most while Domino's has resisted hikes

Chains which have hiked their prices most in the last decade
Company Price percentage increase since 2014
1 McDonald's
2 Popeye's
3 Taco Bell
4 Chipotle
5 Jimmy John's
6 Arby's
7 Burger King
8 Chick-fil-A
9 Wendy's
10 Panera
11 Subway
12 Starbucks
Source - Finance Buzz
100%
86%
81%
75%
62%
55%
55%
55%
55%
54%
39%
39%

Reactions: Tia

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's an outrage, I tell ya. Millions are fed up. I'm so grateful to the Daily Mail for counting them all so I wouldn't have to.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Chick Fil A still has crazy lines so some people can still afford to pay. I stopped going/paying the prices for fast food in last couple years as it's ridiculous .

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
The Costco hotdog is still $1.50.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains

Millions of Americans are fed up with fast-food prices​

• Fast food prices have shot up 33 percent since 2019, figures show
  • Costs at the supermarket have only gone up 26 percent in the same time
  • McDonald's has upped its prices most while Domino's has resisted hikes

Chains which have hiked their prices most in the last decade
CompanyPrice percentage increase since 2014
1 McDonald's
2 Popeye's
3 Taco Bell
4 Chipotle
5 Jimmy John's
6 Arby's
7 Burger King
8 Chick-fil-A
9 Wendy's
10 Panera
11 Subway
12 Starbucks
Source - Finance Buzz
100%
86%
81%
75%
62%
55%
55%
55%
55%
54%
39%
39%
I was really thinking fast food prices went crazy over the pandemic, but were up quite a bit before that too. And like I've often said, fast food no longer makes sense as a "I need food" sort of thing. It's more like going for a treat if you happen to really like the food - I'm somewhat partial to some of them. When fast food is costing ~$20 a person it seems, it's competing with the next higher level of take out food or eat in food. And the "fast food" isn't fast anymore - or not like it used to be. When you're stuck for at least 10 minutes trying to like get an iced tea, or a #1 or whatever pretty standard thing, and it costs near as much as better food... The reasons to go change a lot. I don't go to local places anywhere near as much as I used to - the value isn't there.

The problem isn't the absolute price, it's the relative price. Ever since fast food started going over $10 for a burger, fries and a drink, when fast casual was doing the same for $13 and maybe 20 minutes vs 10-12 minute wait at the fast food place I thought they're going to have problems. Honestly, after my last trip to a Cracker Barrel where they advertise something like 30 entrees under $12.99 or something - I'm going to try and remember them.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Chili is made with the leftover burnt junk from the hamburger flattop.
Yep. I worked at a Wendy's for a few months while in college. At that location, there was a slot near the back of the flat top where we shoved the hamburger patties that had been sitting on the grill too long. Under that slot was a 5-gallon bucket where those overcooked patties would sit for most of the day. They were later chopped up and put into a batch of chili.

With that said, when it comes to fast-food hamburgers, I still like Wendy's burgers the best. Their meat is fresh, never frozen and decent quality. Will I eat the chili? Rarely. I just can't get that 5-gallon bucket of old hamburger patties out of my head, even 35 years later. :)

Kurt

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. I worked at a Wendy's for a few months while in college. At that location, there was a slot near the back of the flat top where we shoved the hamburger patties that had been sitting on the grill too long. Under that slot was a 5-gallon bucket where those overcooked patties would sit for most of the day. They were later chopped up and put into a batch of chili.

With that said, when it comes to fast-food hamburgers, I still like Wendy's burgers the best. Their meat is fresh, never frozen and decent quality. Will I eat the chili? Rarely. I just can't get that 5-gallon bucket of old hamburger patties out of my head, even 35 years later. :)

Kurt
I use to work at KFC when a freshman at college. The gravy is the worst stuff you can imagine. all the junk from the giant pressure fryers that gets stuck in the 'trap' is put into a bucket. Where it just sits at room temperature forever - they called it 'The Cracklings'. I think we called it 'The Craplings'. I think we mixed a few scoops of that congealed crap with some sort of flavor powder and boiling water to make the gravy each day. Got to be the worst thing ever.

Funny that we used an ice cream scooper to scoop out the crackling. It would produce a scoop that looked kinda like fudge riple, but certainly wasn't ice cream.