• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CAPE COD HOLIDAY ESTATES - Special Assessment

Shiz

Reaction score
Vaca720:
Yeah beautiful, but you didn't have to pay for it. If I would have bailed , I could buy the same TS for $1.00 and would be enjoying it even more not having paid the $2200.00.

This kind of mercenary attitude is disgraceful. Basically your point is that someone else will foot the bill. Thankfully you are in the minority.

The response from Vaca720 is more along the lines of what I would expect. The CCHE owners I know are very passionate about the property and want to see it succeed. That being said, the negative feedback regarding the assessment isn't surprising either. However, they are willing to work with the owners with payment plans and the such to make it as easy as possible. If you elect to do the 5yr PP, it comes out to $2100 which is $420 a year. Not cheap money by any means, but at least its a little more manageable. The staff there has always gone above and beyond for their guests and I'm sure they'll continue to do so in the future. The money for an assessment is an investment in the property that, if you've seen the end result, will be well worth it.

e.bram

Reaction score
Shiz:
Buy high and sell low, I guess that's your motto.
Were talking real estate, not a relative.
We should buy from the developer,. They have to make a living as well and the sales people seem passionate about their job.
I personally feel I owe any TS anything, if it doesn't make financial sense to own, BAIL.

susette

Reaction score
CHE Bogus Special Assessment

I'm sorry but your wonderful memories are not tied up in a Timeshare unit. They are treasured because you were on Cape Cod, a beautiful beach area rich with Massachusetts history and culture.

I am not going to blindly pay a SA just because members have special memories and want the units to thrive. I want to know what the money iis going to be used for SPECIFICALLY and I want to know why the board does not have a reserve built up for this kind of project.

This is about money and being fair. It is NOT fair to charge members 4x their maintenance fee without so much as a proposed budget for renovations ahead of time.

A fool and his money may part easily, but I am no fool and I do not blindly pay bills when they are handed to me . Yet CCHE expects that I will pay their bill, and just trust that they will act responsibly with my money.

They need to cancel the SA and find another way to pay for this renovation. Maybe they should just start saving....

my 2 cents.

susette

Reaction score
Anyway want a FREE CCHE Timeshare?

For all you folks that are passionate about CCHE properties and trust the board is doing the right think with the SA, I have an offer for you.

I will give you my timeshare if you pay the SA. That's the deal. I will even take care of closing costs, this year's maintenance fess, and send you the DEED. You just have to agree to pay the SA (in a lump sum of $1900) so I can be done with this BOD that I do not trust.

I own unit 27 - Week no 1. This is a 2BR condo.

Feel free to contact me offline at eurortraks@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Susette Rego

Shiz

Reaction score
This is about money and being fair. It is NOT fair to charge members 4x their maintenance fee without so much as a proposed budget for renovations ahead of time.

Where did you hear that there was no projected budget for the project?

At the annual meeting in May 2008, all owners were shown the actual budget for the model house, down to the last nail. There should absolutely be one for this. I would call and request a copy if one is available.

Yearly budgets also should be available and they have an exact breakdown of how the maintenance fees are spent. I would suspect that the reason the reserves isn't covering the renovation is because it hasn't been adequately funded in the past. (in order to keep the yearly fee down)

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The money is the same - collect it then, now or later.

They need to cancel the SA and find another way to pay for this renovation. Maybe they should just start saving....

my 2 cents.

The plan should have been to start saving 5-10 years ago to do the work now. I assume that, like most resorts, owners wanted low fees so they didn't want fees increased to collect for work 5-10 years away. And/or the Board may have failed to plan that far ahead.

Now the work is required. So the bill must be paid. If they decided against the SA now and simply started collecting for the future it would still be coming from the owners. But if it was to occur 5 years from now they would bill 1/5 this year, 1/5 next, etc. Basically the same plan as the payment plan someone else mentioned. The owners will pay as they own the resort. There is no other source for the funding.

I am sure there is a budget plan available as that is usually required to back up any SA.

susette

Reaction score
SA Budget and BOD Meeting

Unfortunately I was overseas in May of 2008. Showing owners a proposed budget is not the same as sending out a letter. I am very disappointed that this is happening and not all members were adequately polled or notified.

@ palmtree7339
Do you know if I can have a proxy attend to the Dec 3 meeting and voice my opinion for me?? I do not live in New England and getting up there for this meeting would be costly for me.

Thanks!
Susette

palmtree7339

TUG Member
Reaction score
Answer to Susette

Susette,

Only CCHE owners are entitled to attend the Dec. 3rd HOA Bd. Mtg. at the Resort.

Suggest you email the Resort and indicate your views to the Bd. re: the S.A.

palmtree7339

susette

Reaction score
Just got my SA Explanation w Bogus Ballot

I just received the SA information in the mail, and have started reading it.

I have a comment already. They included an index card asking owners to vote on what kind of sliding door we want installed in our unit. They called this card a "Ballot".

This is an old marketing trick
to make owners think they are involved in the renovations, and have some input... when in fact the owners have no input and will never be offered a real vote regarding the renovations. (I've used a similar tactic many times when dealing with clients at work).

Its a marketing ploy that is so overused, I will be very surprised if it has the intended effect on the unit owners. I suspect VRI is coaching the BOD on the best methods to placate owners as they go through this SA.

Basically, this "Ballot" is an intentional distraction and its purpose is two-fold:

1, They want us to feel like we are involved by asking us to vote on an item that means nothing in terms of the renovation.

2. Once they receive the index cards back from the owners (no matter what the final vote outcome is for the door in question) they will claim that they have "Buy-in" for the renovations because people returned this ONE card with ONE question on it.

I'm disheartened by this... reading on though.

S

e.bram

Reaction score
Week 1 in Cape Cod is less than worthless(especially inland). After the smoke clears owners would a much better week resale for the cost of the SA.aybe even a summer week.

susette

Reaction score
Giving back your timeshare in Massachusetts

Just an FYI for anyone wishing to default on a timeshare. Don't do it. Look into your options.

For example, I just found out that in Massachusetts, you can go to Superior Court and ask that a judge release you from ownership of the timeshare. if you have good enough reason, the judge will probably grant your request and the property will get deeded back to the resort.

Just wanted to put that out there for anyone thinking that the CCHE special assessment is outrageous. You DO have an option. :)

Sue

e.bram

Reaction score
With only 8 decent weeks in Cape Cod, I wonder how many owners will be left after the smoke clears? After all is a lot of money in this economy if you are not a Kennedy, and CCHE is not the Kennedy Compound. Will the remaining owners be able to afford the new MFs with a reduced number of paying members? CCHE may eventually become insolvent. I say best to leave well enough alone if the TS is solvent now.

susette

Reaction score
CCED Owners - Please Read!

Hi All,

I am a Cape Cod Holiday Estate timeshare owner, and I completely think this Special Assessment for condo refurbishment is complete BS. The price is too high, and VRI has refused to detail their costs to unit owners.

I have already sent a letter to VRI protesting the debt incurred on my behalf due to the Special Assessment. As a result of my complaint, and a bunch of other unit owners complaint, Rich Mueller at VRi sent me a letter saying I could defer my payment for the S.A. until 2011.

In case anyone would like to take this option, here is what he wrote to me "Resale options are available as are payment terms that allow owners to defer the first installment to 2011. If you would like further information on either of these options, I can forward it forthwith."

Below is his information:

Richard Muller, Sr. VP Resort Operations
Vacation Resorts International
Office 508-771-3399 / Direct 774-487-3500
rich.muller@vriresorts.com

I do not think deferring payment until 2011 is acceptable.

I also requested appropriate documents related to the owners vote on the S.A., the SA budget and proposed contractors. VRI claims no owner vote was required, and basically refused to send us any of the requested documents.

I am now in the process of reviewing the Master Deed and the timeshare condo laws in Massachusetts, which supercede anything in the Master Deed. I will post my findings to this board as soon as I know what the Master deed and MA statute says.

Two things I would like to let you all know are:

1. You are not alone! I went to the resort this weekend and found out there are 127 owners trying to sell their time-share units right now! I have the list if anyone wants it.

2. I plan to build a website community for CCED owners. This will allow us to swap experiences, information and complaints.

If anyone is in the process of doing similar research on Massachusetts law, or would like to start a class action suit with me, please contact me at your earlier convenience. My email address is eurotraks@yahoo.com

Any and all feedback are welcome. Thanks!

Sue

palmtree7339

TUG Member
Reaction score
CCHE Misinformation from Susette

Are a lot of owners bailing out?

Re: CCHE Renovation Assessment.

You should refer to the thread entitled
"VRI bill arrived" by Corky, initiated on
November 20th 2009, for accurate information involved with this subject. It can be found here:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110709

Unfortunately, Susette's postings are mostly inaccurate, biased, and border on slanderous allegations, and are never supported by any evidence whatsoever.

Palmtree

Last edited by a moderator:

e.bram

Reaction score
Five will get you ten, that Palmtree is a prime week owner trying to intimidate dog week owners to ante up the SA instead of bailing.(not throwing good money after bad)
Sussette knows where it is at with her week one(a less than worthless week ie. worthless would be good would be good).

Last edited:

palmtree7339

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reply to e.bram

Five will get you ten, that Palmtree is a prime week owner trying to intimidate dog week owners to ante up the SA instead of bailing.(not throwing good money after bad)
Sussette knows where it is at with her week one(a less than worthless week ie. worthless would be good would be good).

e.bram,

Seems like you are one of those who do not want facts presented to them, but instead want to stir the pot to scare timeshare owners into "bailing"
on their vacation ownership.
Since when is the act of presenting the FACTS considered intimidation?

Palmtree

e.bram

Reaction score
Palmtree:
How about the fact that except for weeks 25 thru 34 the TS units are now and will be even more less than worthless with the SA. What else do you need to know, am I missing something? What are that FACTS that counter this? You could get them for nothing on Ebay before the SA was announced.(however, not the prime weeks 25 thru 34). Why put good money after bad.My Oceancliff is still worth the same nothing it was before the $2200.00 SA.(and Newport is less seasonal than Cape Cod) These are the FACTS. IMHO there is nothing wrong with spreading the facts.

palmtree7339

TUG Member
Reaction score
CCHE, Reply to e.bram posting.

Palmtree:
How about the fact that except for weeks 25 thru 34 the TS units are now and will be even more less than worthless with the SA. What else do you need to know, am I missing something? What are that FACTS that counter this? You could get them for nothing on Ebay before the SA was announced.(however, not the prime weeks 25 thru 34). Why put good money after bad.My Oceancliff is still worth the same nothing it was before the $2200.00 SA.(and Newport is less seasonal than Cape Cod) These are the FACTS. IMHO there is nothing wrong with spreading the facts.

e.bram,

OK, we now have an honest difference of opinion, as to your strong feeling that CCHE owners should "bail", and refuse to pay their S.A. and M.F.'s, and instead, do nothing, or try to give their unit interest away on EBAY, etc. for peanuts, or for zero return.

I hope you will respect my opposing view, that nothing is gained for the unit owner by doing so. To do the above, as you suggest, leaves the owner in a position of being delinquent, forfeiting their usage rights, their exchange options,
their opportunity to rent the usage week, gifting it to family members, or friends, and then, the owner will be subject to lien or foreclosure action that shall inevitably occur, affecting their credit history, significantly.

Your view is that by "bailing", this will make more sense, in that the unit owner will save about $400 per year for 5 years in S.A.payments, plus annual M.F.'s. even though the owner's vacation property will certainly be greatly enhanced in amenities, exchange trading power, rental value, and personal vacation enjoyment, once the renovation improvements are completed

We can surely agree that the T/S market at this time is depressed, but we do not know at this time what the market will be 3 or 5 years from now. It is, of course, possible that by maintaining ownership now, the value of T/S units will rebound. But, by forfeiting ownership interest now, owners do lose this potential future opportunity.

And yes, of course, I am an owner at
CCHE, and have been for over 25 years.
In my opinion, CCHE is the premier Resort on Cape Cod, and, I am quite concerned that your stated views, as a non-owner, will unduly and negatively affect the decisions made by some of our fellow owners, in this regard.

By an owner "bailing", as you have recommended, the Resort will then either rent the improved unit, or sell the unit, with the proceeds being deposited in the Resorts General Fund, and applied towards its common expenses.

I hope we can agree to disagree, with mutual respect, and with the best interests of the affected CCHE owners in mind.

Sincerely,

Palmtree

e.bram

Reaction score
Palmtree:
The best interest for all except the prime week owners is to liquidate in an orderly manner and distribute the proceeds evenly to all unit owners.
Right now most weeks have and will continue to have(SA notwithstanding) a NEGATIVE value.(can't even give it away on Ebay)
By the way what week do you own? If it is between 25 and 34 I can see your point.

palmtree7339

TUG Member
Reaction score
CCHE, Reply to e.bram.

Palmtree:
The best interest for all except the prime week owners is to liquidate in an orderly manner and distribute the proceeds evenly to all unit owners.
Right now most weeks have and will continue to have(SA notwithstanding) a NEGATIVE value.(can't even give it away on Ebay)
By the way what week do you own? If it is between 25 and 34 I can see your point.

E.bram,

You recommend that CCHE owners "liquidate in an orderly manner and distribute the proceeds
evenly to all unit owners".

Please explain, in detail, how this can be accomplished.

In my opinion, this could never occur,
except in some fantasy world.

I shall eagerly await your response.

Thanks,

Palmtree

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Two down. Got anymore?

Palmtree:

This isn't an option as it would take a super majority of owners to vote for it. If you look at just the prime week owners it would fail. It isn't even a proposal on the table so whats your second choice?

I see you think bankruptcy is the other option. Once again there is no talk of insolvency at the resort but rather an obtainable need to improve and upgrade. There is no basis for a bankruptcy. Third choice?

e.bram

Reaction score
If each unit have to contribute over $100,000.00 to make the units habitable, that to me is grounds for insolvency. How much more would it cost to build the units from scratch not including the land?

palmtree7339

TUG Member
Reaction score
If each unit have to contribute over $100,000.00 to make the units habitable, that to me is grounds for insolvency. How much more would it cost to build the units from scratch not including the land?

Just where do you get these goofy suppositions from, anyway?
Have you lost touch with the real world?
Your comments have now reached the point where further dialogue is useless.
Sayonara, Palmtree