• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buganvilias vacation club - bait and switch?

brumbielynch

Reaction score
I'm a long time owner of a Presidential contract - an annual week in a "presidential" unit (sleeps 4). 2024 maintenance fees just paid. I was trying to book a week today and was advised that they have decided to get rid of "presidentials" entirely. The new unit is called an "ambassador" and it is supposedly remodeled/upgraded and now sleeps 6. Upon further review it is the same floorpan (albeit updated/remodeled) as a Presidential but they have simply shoved a bed into the living room along with the pull out sofa in order to indicate it now sleeps 6. There is no additional square footage and if 6 actually stay, 4 will be sleeping in the same room. I was told that presidential owners must now book "ambassadors" for which there is an additional $522 fee per week. SO....is this just a sneaky way to increase maintenance fees by around 50% or is it fraud? Can a timeshare resort legally (this is Mexico....) simply delete a unit type that people own rights to for a certain number of future years? No advance or written notice that I am aware of....

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It seems like Mexico is one of the only places that allow six people in a one bed or studio.

Bill

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Last year I noticed that there are very few floors in Building A (Tower) that have not been renovated - and they are on the lower levels. They must be trying to force remaining Presidential owners to upgrade.

I have never been a fan of the Presidential units as the ”sofa” is too narrow and the pull down bed makes one side of the room unusable In my opinion. We only stayed in one once using a free exchange. On the plus side, there are 2 bathrooms, one nice bedroom and a decent kitchen area.

Do you have the option of a 1 bedroom in the D building Instead? The maintenance fees would be lower. They have a nice layout but just one bathroom and no balcony. They do have ocean views from the living room though. Two people could sleep on the 2 sofas If necessary. They are like twin beds. These sofas are much more comfortable than the ones in the Presidential. We owned 2 of these and an Imperial unit (all bought resale cheap) before upgrading to the Imperial Sky Suite.

I only have 3 years left at the Buganvilias and will not renew because of my age, but it is my favorite resort.

brumbielynch

Reaction score
Last year I noticed that there are very few floors in Building A (Tower) that have not been renovated - and they are on the lower levels. They must be trying to force remaining Presidential owners to upgrade.

I have never been a fan of the Presidential units as the ”sofa” is too narrow and the pull down bed makes one side of the room unusable In my opinion. We only stayed in one once using a free exchange. On the plus side, there are 2 bathrooms, one nice bedroom and a decent kitchen area.

Do you have the option of a 1 bedroom in the D building Instead? The maintenance fees would be lower. They have a nice layout but just one bathroom and no balcony. They do have ocean views from the living room though. Two people could sleep on the 2 sofas If necessary. They are like twin beds. These sofas are much more comfortable than the ones in the Presidential. We owned 2 of these and an Imperial unit (all bought resale cheap) before upgrading to the Imperial Sky Suite.

I only have 3 years left at the Buganvilias and will not renew because of my age, but it is my favorite resort.
It's a lot of people's favorite -- I'm not sure if presidential owners will be allowed the "opportunity" to downgrade from what they originally purchased, but it is certainly proof that the contracts they sell are absolutely worthless. To have paid whatever the initial price was for a 20+year "contract" for an annual presidential, be charged the annual maintenance fee and then days later be told that your owned unit simply no longer exists and the only way you can book is to pay a 50% increase on top of your existing contract fee is kind of ridiculous - even for Mexico. Zero warning and no sort of written communication - you simply find this out when you call to book your week.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's a lot of people's favorite -- I'm not sure if presidential owners will be allowed the "opportunity" to downgrade from what they originally purchased, but it is certainly proof that the contracts they sell are absolutely worthless. To have paid whatever the initial price was for a 20+year "contract" for an annual presidential, be charged the annual maintenance fee and then days later be told that your owned unit simply no longer exists and the only way you can book is to pay a 50% increase on top of your existing contract fee is kind of ridiculous - even for Mexico. Zero warning and no sort of written communication - you simply find this out when you call to book your week.

That doesn't really sound right. Maybe call again and talk to someone else. Some times talking to the right person gets the right answer.

Bill

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
My week is a fixed week and unit. It was one of the first ones that was renovated in 2011-2012. In November 2011 when we upgraded, contracts were for 15 years. Ours is on the top floor - end unit ocean side. They were being sold as fixed weeks and because Imperial ones are only 2 on each floor - one on each end. They are basically two one bedroom units that share a locked alcove. We have 2 kitchens, 2 bedrooms, and 3 bathrooms. We can sleep 8 people in total if we use the sofas. We just loved it for the view and that whenever we bring another couple, everyone has space and more privacy. We got to choose the week # and unit, so we chose what is normally Thanksgiving week (47) and the unit on the town side. It is in my contract.

They now are selling them as floating weeks, I learned that a few years ago when I was at the pool waiting for my unit and a guy was also waiting for his stopped to talk. He asked me where my room would be and I told him. He said he also bought an Imperial Sky Suite a few years before, but had not been able to use it for Thanksgiving because someone always beat him making the reservation. I told him that if he came week 47, I would be there until 2026.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi @brumbielynch

As of today [ Jan 27-2024] the Buganvilias Resort Club website still has Presidential 1 bd Suites listed.
Perhaps they do plan to renovate them into an alternate format for 2025.

I agree with Bill / @easyrider - call reservations / customer service & speak to someone else about booking a unit with no upcharge from
the MF paid per your valid RTU contract.

If your request is not addressed I would certainly contact Profeco .

Presidential Suite

This suite can accommodate 4 people, all are located in front of the sea and have a balcony​

Presidential Suite​

The kitchen is equipped with everything you need to cook the dishes of your choice, and crockery for 4 people.

• 1 BEDROOM WITH KIG SIZE BED

• 1 BEDS MURPHY QUEEN SIZE FOLDING

• 2 BATHROOMS, ONE WITH A TUB AND THE OTHER WITH SHOWER

• 1 PARTIAL KITCHEN

• 1 BREAKFAST BAR

• 1 TERRACE, ONE WITH A VIEW

Amenities​

This suite has capacity for 4 people, all are located in front of the sea and have a balcony, 1 bedroom with a King size bed, and a Queen size Murphy bed, two bathrooms, for your comfort one of the bathrooms has a tub and the other with a shower .
The kitchen is equipped with everything you need to cook the dishes of your preference, it has a beautiful breakfast bar, 1 electric stove, 1 blender, utensils for cooking and serving the table.

Transportation Service​

Buganvilias Resort Vacation Club “We can provide transportation Airport – Club, request this service while reserving”
CONSTRUCT

Presidential Suite
20200303_101549.jpg

no-info

Presidential Suit
20200303_101227.jpg

Last edited:

brumbielynch

Reaction score
Hi @brumbielynch

As of today [ Jan 27-2024] the Buganvilias Resort Club website still has Presidential 1 bd Suites listed.

I agree with Bill / @easyrider - call reservations / customer service & speak to someone else about booking a unit with no upcharge from

Presidential Suite

This suite can accommodate 4 people, all are located in front of the sea and have a balcony​

Presidential Suite​

The kitchen is equipped with everything you need to cook the dishes of your choice, and crockery for 4 people.

• 1 PARTIAL KITCHEN

• 1 BREAKFAST BAR

Amenities​

This suite has capacity for 4 people, all are located in front of the sea and have a balcony, 1 bedroom with a King size bed, and a Queen size Murphy bed, two bathrooms, for your comfort one of the bathrooms has a tub and the other with a shower .
The kitchen is equipped with everything you need to cook the dishes of your preference, it has a beautiful breakfast bar, 1 electric stove, 1 blender, utensils for cooking and serving the table.

Transportation Service​

Buganvilias Resort Vacation Club “We can provide transportation Airport – Club, request this service while reserving”
CONSTRUCT

Presidential Suite
20200303_101549.jpg

no-info

Presidential Suit
20200303_101227.jpg
Try booking one. I've been dealing with the owner services/reservations manager - he says his hands are tied and there's nothing he can do. I don't have a contact for Profeco (?) but will try to hunt one down

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi @brumbielynch

Presidential Suite

Presidential Suite​

• 1 PARTIAL KITCHEN

• 1 BREAKFAST BAR

Amenities​

Transportation Service​

CONSTRUCT

Presidential Suite
20200303_101549.jpg

no-info

Presidential Suit
20200303_101227.jpg

Wow. I like the new kitchen.

Bill

brumbielynch

Reaction score
That's the point. It's not right. And I am talking to the manager. He has been in charge for years. I have been an owner for 25 years. The fact that the unit type is still posted on the website is irrelevant. They will not allow you to book it. If anyone else reading this with a presidential contract has success in booking a presidential from today onward absent a surcharge of $522 and a replacement "ambassador" booking I'd be very interested to hear about it.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
These are comments that I have seen on the Buganvilias Owners fb page recently.........

What are our annual dues going to? They should be updating the Presidential suites. I have been an owner since 2008 and there have been no upgrades done to them. We shouldn’t be forced into to purchasing an upgraded room.

just went to the update again this year. They continue to say we will get an old room that has not been renovated. Just booked for next '24 and '25 and they said only floors 13 and 14 were available. (Not renovated) We own week 52.

I just booked for 2025 and got 20th floor (Not renovated). We are here now and they gave us a renovated room on floor 21. It is so nice and I was happy that they finally renovated the Presidential Suites. Then I went to the presentation and was told they gave me that room thinking I wouldn’t want to go back to an old room and I would buy the update. Ugh! I refused.

12, 13, 14 and 20 have not been renovated in Tower A

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
That's the point. It's not right. And I am talking to the manager. He has been in charge for years. I have been an owner for 25 years. The fact that the unit type is still posted on the website is irrelevant. They will not allow you to book it. If anyone else reading this with a presidential contract has success in booking a presidential from today onward absent a surcharge of $522 and a replacement "ambassador" booking I'd be very interested to hear about it.

I do think that $522 is quite a bit of increase. I do not know what your regular ones are, but I paid for the 2-bedroom Imperial Thanksgiving week and a 2-bedroom ocean-front unit for the week after around $2300. The Imperial costs more than the 2-bedroom ocean front unit.

brumbielynch

Reaction score
These are comments that I have seen on the Buganvilias Owners fb page recently.........

What are our annual dues going to? They should be updating the Presidential suites. I have been an owner since 2008 and there have been no upgrades done to them. We shouldn’t be forced into to purchasing an upgraded room.

just went to the update again this year. They continue to say we will get an old room that has not been renovated. Just booked for next '24 and '25 and they said only floors 13 and 14 were available. (Not renovated) We own week 52.

I just booked for 2025 and got 20th floor (Not renovated). We are here now and they gave us a renovated room on floor 21. It is so nice and I was happy that they finally renovated the Presidential Suites. Then I went to the presentation and was told they gave me that room thinking I wouldn’t want to go back to an old room and I would buy the update. Ugh! I refused.

Where is the owners FB page? I'd like to join it but could not find it. I'm all for keeping the units in good shape - that's what maintenance fees are supposed to be for...and "special assessments" if and when needed as well. My complaint is a forced upgrade. No notice. Being told that the unit type which I paid to own/use for a set number of years has suddenly been eliminated and that I cannot book the room type I paid for. That I now instead must book a different room name (although it's essentially the same floorpan just with updates and an extra bed shoved awkwardly in the living area to claim increased capacity) at a 50% higher maintenance fee cost. If they can do this whenever they please what exactly are you buying to begin with?

brumbielynch

Reaction score
I do think that $522 is quite a bit of increase. I do not know what your regular ones are, but I paid for the 2-bedroom Imperial Thanksgiving week and a 2-bedroom ocean-front unit for the week after around $2300. The Imperial costs more than the 2-bedroom ocean front unit.
I was charge a 2024 maintenance fee of approximately $1000. I paid it but when I called in to book my room for the year was told that it would be an extra $522 now (and likely more each following year) and that I could only book an "ambassador" despite having 10 years left on my "presidential" contract

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Friends of Sheraton PVR on FB. You must verify that you are an owner/member of the Buganvilias to join.

Last edited:

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc

I'm here right now until the 10th (on an exchange) and the second floor isn't renovated either - I'm in an old room (lockoff) with a king bed in the bedroom and the kitchen/living area has a built-in "sofa" and a murphy bed (I believe that is a Presidential?). When you look from the pool, it looks as if the 10th floor as well as 2, 3 and 4 are not reno'd as you can see the old "brass finish" railings and windows whereas all the other floors are new railings & windows.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The floors start at 11. (I know that is weird.) So if you say you are looking up at the 10th floor up, that is the 20th floor.

The list said that 12, 13, 14, and 20 were not completed. From the ground, it looks like 2, 3, 4 and 10..

Buganvilias Building Numbers

11xx is the 1st floor and 20xx (10th floor) 25xx (15th floor.)

Building A - the Tower xx47-66 ocean view – faces pool and ocean

Building B xx87-92 low building ocean front

Building C xx81-86 facing toward pool and ocean view on higher levels - balconies

Building D xx67-80 windows facing toward town and ocean 67, 79, 80 have balconies

Free WIFI in the units for owners. Exchangers have to pay for the code. In 2015, there were routers in each room.

Last edited:

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Turns out the Vidanta is going to be a better deal for me since I didn't have a resort fee to pay (as well as having much better room and amenities). For paid wifi, it's not so great - doesn't work at the pool (I'm using the Marriott Bonvoy Guest connection for free there luckily), & is on-off all the time in the room. Prices are similar to Vidanta for food.
Luckily, the pool is lovely and the resort is well located for visiting PV.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The reason I love the Buganvilias is the location!.

If you are moving tomorrow, try to walk up 2 blocks past the baseball field on the north side for dinner tonight - where all the cars are merging to go towards the Marina. There is an awesome restaurant called Cuetos Mariscos. It is well worth the walk. Nice place with great service and reasonable prices. Another good close by restaurant is to cross the street at the light in front of the Sheraton Hotel and walk a few blocks and there is a place called El Patron on a corner on your left side. It closes at 7, so you need to go early. It is not fancy, but some locals took us there a few years ago and we have been back.

Vidanta is a totally different experience. I own there too - stayed at Grand Luxxe in November and at the Buganvilias too. My 50+ son liked the Buganvilias better because of the location. He and his wife are not hang out in the resort folks. I will be at the Vidanta PV Marina Mayan Palace in April and again in November. I will do a couple of GM weeks somewhere this year too.

Enjoy your Vidanta week.