• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple iPad, first report

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Itouch should be getting an OS update in the summer along with the Iphone. Apps should be more compatible across the these devices.

Last edited:

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have an Itouch and have noticed that when I now going searching for apps that all of the apps say they are for Iphone or Ipad. Are they no longer going to support the Itouch?:confused: :annoyed:

Itouch should be getting an OS update in the summer along with the Iphone apps should be more compatible across the these devices.

I hope so because as usual I purchased it just before they started announcing the upcoming new product. :mad:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I hope so because as usual I purchased it just before they started announcing the upcoming new product. :mad:

No worries. The iPod Touch uses the same software as the iPhone. It will have all the same capabilities, except phone features.

The distinction between iPhone and iPad applications in the App Store is simply to show which apps are designed for which device. This is especially true for iPad apps, since the iPad apps (should be) designed for the larger screen, etc. Many are now created for both, so if you have an iPhone and an iPad, for instance, the correct version will work on each without any issue.

Last edited:

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Ken ... if the current apps will work on iPad why won't iTunes permit me to load ANY apps on my iPad in Canada -- while those here with iPhones, etc., can load them without any problems. They launch iPad in Canada May 28th so hopefully mine will be of more use after that ... but I really don't like the control Apple puts over whatever you want to load on the thing.

The PC seems so 'free' in comparison...and buying an Apple seems to mean it's just a way for Apple to take more money from you ... much like having to buy Epson ink for Epson printers.

Brian

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken ... if the current apps will work on iPad why won't iTunes permit me to load ANY apps on my iPad in Canada -- while those here with iPhones, etc., can load them without any problems. They launch iPad in Canada May 28th so hopefully mine will be of more use after that ... but I really don't like the control Apple puts over whatever you want to load on the thing.

The PC seems so 'free' in comparison...and buying an Apple seems to mean it's just a way for Apple to take more money from you ... much like having to buy Epson ink for Epson printers.

Brian

Then jailbreak your iPhone /iPad and load the Android operating system. Then, you can run all android apps as well as other apps that Apple doesn't support.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Brian

Brian,

You've posted your complaint about Apple's release of the iPad numerous times. I know you're upset, and I would be as well if I was in your position. However, you bought a device that is currently not supported in Canada. I've previously posted a method some are using to circumvent this restriction. I agree that it would have been best for Apple to simply activate the App Store globally at once, but I'm sure they have their reasons why that didn't work.

Apple simply hasn't allowed Canadians to install any applications on the iPad at present. I'm not in Canada, so I can't verify, but it makes sense to me that "any applications" also includes iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

As for control, that's a benefit as well as a hindrance. One of the prime reasons Apple products are so reliable and provide a great experience is the control over both the hardware and the software. It's an old argument that really has little merit these days, as Apple has proven that their sales and support strategy works.

Once you're able to download apps, I suspect your opinion will change. The vast majority of apps are inexpensive (or free), so the belief that you're paying significantly more because the distribution network is controlled by Apple will be less of a real issue. In fact, of the articles I've read, it seems to be a concern for those with conflicting interests, or those who don't have an iPad, etc. Remember, the vast majority of happy owners don't post anywhere online (just like timeshare owners!).

HTH,
Ken

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Then jailbreak your iPhone /iPad and load the Android operating system. Then, you can run all android apps as well as other apps that Apple doesn't support.

This isn't as easy as it sounds, and is really for only those who are technically inclined.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score

Brian

I was just wondering how you felt about the iPad after using it for awhile.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
It's a toy. There are times I want to play with it, but mostly I prefer my laptop which I can connect a printer to and load any software I want on it. The poor availability of books for iBooks is a joke .. Even the Kindle app has more that are for sale in Canada.

The best thing about it is it takes about 15 seconds to turn the iPad on and get to Tug! It takes much more time to get up and running on a PC. But I don't like the feeling that I bought an iPad but Apple controls it.

Brian

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
2 million sold and counting. Given the number of businesses buying these, and how we've seen them used in local businesses, I wouldn't be so quick to call it a toy. It seems to me that you bought too soon... After all, we knew the iBooks store had significantly less titles than the others upon launch. Just like we knew it wouldn't work outside of the US. I suspect you're still feeling upset that it didn't work the way you thought it would when you bought it. Oh, well.

Fwiw, it takes me just a few seconds to start it and get to TUG. I don't know why you think it takes 15...

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a toy. It's a very popular toy b/c it's the "hot" thing, but it's still a toy. You can't print from it nor load up any files too or from it unless you e-mail them to yourself or do it through iTunes using an interface like a real computer. I'm confident that it will eventually grow up and become a very useful tool, but for now it's a toy.

BTW, I just got myself a new netbook 3 weeks ago for about the same price as an iPad. It's an expensive netbook, but it has an Intel Dual Core Ultra Light Voltage (ULV) processor which runs the 64bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium. It has 4GB of RAM, a 320GB HD, a HD screen with a HDMI port, a webcam and 5 in 1 card slot along with 3 USB slots. I was a little wary of getting Windows 7 after my experience with Vista, but I've been really happy with it and it's very zippy and responsive. The sleep mode works really well and really provides that instant on experience. When I shut the top it goes immediately into sleep mode and when I come back to it later I just open it up, press the power button and boom it's back on and ready to go within 2 seconds. I also really like the ULV processor b/c the battery life is great (8-10 hours on average if I leave it on for the full time and much much longer if I put it into sleep mode) and it remains cool as it sits on my lap. It only weighs 3 pounds and it's very portable. For those of you curious as to what the model is, it's the Acer Aspire Timeline 1810T.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son got a 3G iPad. He loves it. The application he uses the most is "Art Studio." It's a fantastic program. It allows him and his friends to create fantastic artwork with their fingers. If I figure out where to post the pics, I'll show them here. Definitely something you can't do with an iPod Touch.

It took 16 days to get the iPad after ordering it. Apple can't keep these things on the shelves. It's a total market place winner.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
NVM............

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You can't print from it

There are now many apps that enable printing.

nor load up any files too or from it unless you e-mail them to yourself or do it through iTunes using an interface like a real computer

Also many apps that allow the iPad to connect to computers and/or servers wirelessly.

I'm confident that it will eventually grow up and become a very useful tool, but for now it's a toy.

Sigh. If you don't have one (and you don't, given your previous posts) you probably have limited experience with the apps for the iPad (yes, I know you have an iPhone...). The apps make the device quite extensible, including many various business purposes.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
With the goal of supporting the fallacy that the iPad is a toy, if you want to stream your own videos to an iPad or iPhone check out AirVideo. This is a great app! One of my staff watched a movie from a flight (Virgin America) using this software to his home media server. Works for either Windows or Mac.

http://www.inmethod.com/

Video Streaming Air Video can stream videos in almost any format to your iPhone and iPod touch. You don't need to copy your videos to the device just to watch them. Live Conversion If the videos in your collection are not in format supported by iPhone, Air Video will convert them on fly*. You don't need to wait until the entire video is converted. You can start watching it almost immediately!

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a toy.

Yes if you want it to be. However I have to disagree with you assessment. It's more like a tool, an extension of your PC.
Any real work I need to do I would do from my desktop PC. I'm not that comfortable doing real work with a netbook or the ipad although I can and I have. I also have an acer netbook and it does it's job but for entertainment ,email,surfing the web the iPad just blows it away. I'm running the iPad with a wireless n router and the Internet blazes on the iPad.
Printing and other issues that were concerns are all easy work arounds. The touch interface is a pleasure to use. Typing on the touch screen has become second nature. The iPad has become a tool I use daily even more so than my desk top.
The netbook has found a replacement. By the end of this year net books will most likely be obsolete with the conga line of great tablets getting ready to be released.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Frank is absolutely correct in stating that the iPad presents another way to interact with technology beyond those inherent with traditional computes, including netbooks. I've found that I'm taking my iPad everywhere, reading books on it, the Wall Street Journal, and more. With access to my data regardless of my location, using the built in 3G network, I've discovered that this is a flexible and worthwhile device.

I don't want to repeat my earlier posts, though I think its worth pointing out that if you spend time with an iPad and try multiple apps, I suspect you'll end up liking it. Get beyond the tech aspect of what it has or doesn't have, and you'll discover that it presents information in a much more usable fashion than any other device you've used.

And yes, I typed this post on my iPad in about a minute...

taffy19

Reaction score
Prices will go down and products will only get better with so much competition coming out pretty soon. Great for the consumer! :) I heard from Dell this week-end that they are going to have a smaller iPad product (Dell Streak) that will be used as a smart phone too. Aren't they a little late? He said that it would blow the iPhone and iPad away. I don't believe it but who knows?

We just came back from a trip back East and I couldn't believe it but almost everyone walked around with an iPhone in NYC and Washington, DC. I thought that the phone connection there was terrible with AT&T. People were of all ages. I haven't seen many iPads yet but I saw one on the plane as he was connected too to the Internet. It looked great!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reading (inside) is good too

DS came home from college and actually let me use his iPad without him hovering over me. (He's very protective of his tecchie stuff.)

I read a book he had downloaded from Amazon.com. He had it in two formats, one was Kindle for iPad, and I think the other was whatever came with the iPad. I used them both, and found them intuitive and just great to use. Earlier I reported that the fingerprints and glossy screen made it difficult to use outside in the sunshine. In this case, inside, the text was crisp and screen clear. The weight of the iPad was not a problem at all; I didn't hold up the "book" in front of me, but had it propped on my lap. (I also don't hold up hardcover books in front of me.)

I tried out some other apps, including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. All were easy to use, intuitive, and worked well.

I agree with Transit's post that it's a toy "if you want it to be". It all depends on the apps and what the user wants to do.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wouldn't be so quick to call it a toy. It seems to me that you bought too soon... ...

Ken, you get so sensitive about anything remotely critical about the iPad.

Transit just asked if my opinion changed after using my iPad a few weeks and I expressed my opinion that it's a toy more than a computer.

99% of computers out there are PC users ... and those people may think they can switch from a PC laptop (where they can play DVD's, burn them, copy them, hook up a printer, external hard drives, etc.)

I think the biggest error such a buyer might make is to think the iPad is a full blown computer and that you get the 'toy' aspect as a bonus. IMO it's the other way around.

PC users might not be aware that the iPad you buy is really controlled by Apple and iTunes and that you really need another computer (even a PC) to work with it ... whereas you can load any program you want directly onto a PC laptop.

For example, I can load my Slingbox software on any PC laptop (and have) for free ... but on the iPad it's a $30 app that only plays a picture the size of an iPhone. This is because Apple must get a rake off on all apps sold ... thus the control over what you can and cannot do. Like an Epson printer - you can only use their high priced cartridges.

I wanted a toy. That's what I got IMO -- with a little computing power as a bonus (at times). It's great fun and a certain attention getter. No doubt, the tablet idea will change computers for tomorrow. But once the PC ones come out, you better sell your Apple stock. :)

Brian

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken, you get so sensitive about anything remotely critical about the iPad.

I wasn't always this way in TUG. I'm actually quite neutral about these issues in person. But on TUG it seems there's a large gap between those who are Windows believers and those who like Apple but aren't sure why, or that they can't see why Apple does things in a certain way. My posts of late, specifically in this thread, have been trying to refute factually erroneous statements and help those understand how others are using the iPad in the real world.

99% of computers out there are PC users ... and those people may think they can switch from a PC laptop (where they can play DVD's, burn them, copy them, hook up a printer, external hard drives, etc.)

Apple has much more than a 1% market share. Look it up. If I post it, I'm sure someone would dispute the number.

As for assumptions of use, you are absolutely correct. Many people are incorrectly assuming they will have computer functions available on the iPad just as they do their laptop or desktop system. This is a challenge that faces Apple, though I believe anyone who goes to an Apple Store and uses one for a short time will understand the distinction.

For example, I can load my Slingbox software on any PC laptop (and have) for free ... but on the iPad it's a $30 app that only plays a picture the size of an iPhone. This is because Apple must get a rake off on all apps sold ... thus the control over what you can and cannot do. Like an Epson printer - you can only use their high priced cartridges.

I find this comment interesting. First, you should understand that Slingbox only released an iPhone app when they were able to in February. I'm sure they'll release a version for the iPad, though I don't know when it will be out. I'm also waiting for it. But, I'd rather pay $30 (of which Apple receives 30%, and the price is set by Slingbox, not Apple) to get an app that just works rather than have to go to a website from a portable device (which can require more time and not integrate as well as a dedicated app). But since Slingbox sets the price, you should really be blaming them for selling a $30 app and not Apple...

I wanted a toy. That's what I got IMO -- with a little computing power as a bonus (at times). It's great fun and a certain attention getter. No doubt, the tablet idea will change computers for tomorrow. But once the PC ones come out, you better sell your Apple stock. :)

Brian

It's all about perspective. It seems the iPad met your needs as a toy, and it can do that quite well, but it's also a business device, with numerous examples of use. To you it's a toy, to me it's a valuable business communication device. But, I also have a number of games on it and think they're great. We should have a separate thread on games... :)