• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

advice on purchasing Diamond timeshare on the secondary market

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hilton
I'm a newbie to this group and the forum. I have owned a Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare for some time and am interested in buying a Diamond (which I know is part of HGVC but dunno the "name") timeshare. I'd like to know where to look and what "penalties" are imposed on the buyer for not buying through Diamond or HGVC. In particular, I'd like to know that points purchased have the same rights to make reservations as prior owners.

Any advice or direction appreciated!

Gordon

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
DRI has a number of Collections. Resell DRI points can only be used to Book stays in their Home Collection. For example if you buy DRI Hawaiian Collection Points resell they can only be used to Book into DRI Hawaiian Collection Resorts.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
DRI has a number of Collections. Resell DRI points can only be used to Book stays in their Home Collection. For example if you buy DRI Hawaiian Collection Points resell they can only be used to Book into DRI Hawaiian Collection Resorts.
Isn't there an option to buy some retail points and then it changes that?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much are resell DRI Points selling for at this time and where can you purchased DRI Points?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
How much are resell DRI Points selling for at this time and where can you purchased DRI Points?
There are a few places and they are normally free or close to it. Here is an example from the TUG marketplace

1709938450996.png

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to this group and the forum. I have owned a Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare for some time and am interested in buying a Diamond (which I know is part of HGVC but dunno the "name") timeshare. I'd like to know where to look and what "penalties" are imposed on the buyer for not buying through Diamond or HGVC. In particular, I'd like to know that points purchased have the same rights to make reservations as prior owners.

Any advice or direction appreciated!

Gordon
Sent you a PM.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Isn't there an option to buy some retail points and then it changes that?

There use to be. If you had 10,000 resell Points and bought 5,000 Points from DRI you could wash the dirty Points. Do not know if this still exists under the Hilton Umbrella.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you just purchased additional DRI points without buying into a DRI Resort?
My friend own 18,000 DRI Points and would liked to purchase an additional 7000 DRI points. How much are DRI Points selling for at this time ?

They originally purchased their timeshare thru DRI.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
While they are relatively few Deeds still on the resell Market for DRI resorts (never converted to Points) what is for sale is Points in a Collective. What I do not know is if DRI will just sell you DRI points that do not involve MAX.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
While they are relatively few Deeds still on the resell Market for DRI resorts (never converted to Points) what is for sale is Points in a Collective. What I do not know is if DRI will just sell you DRI points that do not involve MAX.
You can't trust sales people to tell the truth, but last month I was told that I'd have to buy into MAX to get my resale deeds into the Club. It would have cost $25,000. o_O I politely declined.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't trust sales people to tell the truth, but last month I was told that I'd have to buy into MAX to get my resale deeds into the Club. It would have cost $25,000. o_O I politely declined.
That is my impression also, Hilton want you to purchase into their MAX Program. I want my friend to purchase a resell TS thru Marriott's.
Is that wrong advice or suggestion on my part?

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
That is my impression also, Hilton want you to purchase into their MAX Program. I want my friend to purchase a resell TS thru Marriott's.
Is that wrong advice or suggestion on my part?
I mean, Marriott wants you to buy Abound, but in any case, buy resale. I personally think Marriott seems pretty expensive especially if you want to requalify for Abound after buying resale. Now if you want to just use II with their fees or just the deed you buy, then it's just check the MFs. Some are crazy depending on resort for any system.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hilton
F
On the DRI points and "collections" - I thought that all US properties were in one collection? How do I get info on what collections exist, and their booking rights? I'm more interested in getting rights to book in Diamond generally rather than one specific resort.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hilton
I know that Hilton sells points in the US Diamond "collection" at "full retail" (tens of thousands of dollars). But you get 13 month reservation rights to the whole US collection. Can you buy points in the "Collection" on the resale market? or if you buy points tied to a (former) Diamond resort that would now be in the US Collection, what rights do you have to reserve elsewhere?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Resell DRI points can only be used to Book stays in their Home Collection. For example if you buy DRI Hawaiian Collection Points resell they can only be used to Book into DRI Hawaiian Collection Resorts.
@gordoncopland, answered in this post.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I think you are confused on terminology (or confusing me anyways). HGV is the parent company of HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacations Club), HC (Hilton Club) and now HVC (Hilton Vacations Club which was formerly DRI). HGVC and HVC are separate clubs within HGV. I can not tell what you own since you only state Hilton as resorts owned.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hilton
Sorry. I own Hilton Grand Vacations. I'm interested in properties in the former Diamond US Collection.

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
To the OP, it sounds like you have HGVC (a deeded timeshare) and would like to have access to book a HVC/Diamond resort (a points based timeshare) without having to pay for the Hilton MAX exchange program, which would give you crossover access between all of Hilton's various systems. You are planning to use the strategy of purchasing resell points in one of the HVC (Diamond) collections, of which I believe there are four, and then have access to that collection only but with normal booking rights to a retail owner in that collection? I know there is a sticky in the HVC/Diamond section that lists the various resorts in each collection, and you will have to determine if one of those collections fits your travel goals to see if this strategy is the right one for you.

While resell is a great way to save thousands of dollars, please note that those points will not blend with your current HGVC points. You will own in two different systems and vacation in two different systems with no cross over access. I just wanted to clarify some of the confusing terms that Hilton has created to drive us all nuts. I recognize that like my family you are willing to stay in other resort systems, not just HGVC, and are trying to do that as inexpensively as possible. Unfortunately, this example is exactly why people (like us) agree to MAX exchange program, because it would take four resell deeds (and 4 maintenance fees) just to have the opportunity to access all of the DRI resorts. I am not endorsing any type of retail purchases to access MAX, just pointing out what I think Hilton knew and recognized when they created MAX exchange.

My "advice" would be to discuss with the TUG community at large what your travel goals are and see if an entirely different system outside of the Hilton umbrella better meets your goals via resell.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just more examples of how this deliberately confusing name change impacts not only NEW owners...but existing ones!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Unfortunately, this example is exactly why people (like us) agree to MAX exchange program, because it would take four resell deeds (and 4 maintenance fees) just to have the opportunity to access all of the DRI resorts. I am not endorsing any type of retail purchases to access MAX, just pointing out what I think Hilton knew and recognized when they created MAX exchange.
There is also the option of buying a deeded week at a DRI resort and using DEX. I don't know enough about how that works, but I have seen people talk about it here. I suspect that since it isn't talked about all that much that it probably is a pretty good option. Isn't there also a DEX for point owners?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
There is also the option of buying a deeded week at a DRI resort and using DEX. I don't know enough about how that works, but I have seen people talk about it here. I suspect that since it isn't talked about all that much that it probably is a pretty good option. Isn't there also a DEX for point owners?
Yes, there are two ways to use DEX. If you own a deeded week you can use the Traditional Destination Xchange. If you have points, you can use Destination Xchange.

1710701204432.png

Points are flexible. You can book any number of days, but you can only book within your collection. However, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even resale points can be used with DEX to book any of the former DRI properties.

If you buy a deeded week, you are limited to your home resort and have to use it each year. However, you can also use it with DEX to book a week in any of the former DRI properties. If you can't use it in one year, you can deposit it into DEX and you'll have up to 5 years to use it. There is a fee, $150?, for using DEX. Deeded weeks have 5 tiers. If you book above your tier, you have to pay another fee. The maintenance fees for a deeded week are considerably lower than an equivalent number of points.

Here's an old thread with more info about DEX.