• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A resale without estoppel? Seeking advice.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why would a buyer require a POA none of the resales I have engaged in even required me to have anything signed by notary it was on the sellers end.
They shouldn't, I was just stating what is standard practice in mortgage transactions but someone does sign a lot of docs at closing there.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
On my second resale timeshare purchase, I didn't know about asking for an estoppel, so I effectively did my own estoppel. I knew the unit number and called Marriott. I explained why I was calling and determined that there were no outstanding loans, that MF were current, the season was correct, that the first year of use was correct, the MF correct as represented, and when the MF would be due, etc. Marriott was surprisingly cooperative. I learned from Tug to request an Estoppel on my 3rd purchase.

iftravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Hilton Head
On my second resale timeshare purchase, I didn't know about asking for an estoppel, so I effectively did my own estoppel. I knew the unit number and called Marriott. I explained why I was calling and determined that there were no outstanding loans, that MF were current, the season was correct, that the first year of use was correct, the MF correct as represented, and when the MF would be due, etc. Marriott was surprisingly cooperative. I learned from Tug to request an Estoppel on my 3rd purchase.
Yeah, glad you did it. The more I reflect on my recent experience, the more I realize that an estoppel is a MUST. This is my third failed attempt (which I was denied an estoppel), and for the first one, the estoppel showed a 2-bd, which I expected to see a 4-bd lo(based on the stated MF) so I passed. The second one, the estoppel showed 2025 Use banked / deposited so I would have to wait till 2027 for first use, again no deal. Would have been a huge disaster / at least big hassel if I proceeded without doing an estoppel.

I actually first learned the word "ESTOPPEL" here at TUG and I constantly mis-spell it, no kidding.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Yeah, glad you did it. The more I reflect on my recent experience, the more I realize that an estoppel is a MUST. This is my third failed attempt (which I was denied an estoppel), and for the first one, the estoppel showed a 2-bd, which I expected to see a 4-bd lo(based on the stated MF) so I passed. The second one, the estoppel showed 2025 Use banked / deposited so I would have to wait till 2027 for first use, again no deal. Would have been a huge disaster / at least big hassel if I proceeded without doing an estoppel.

I actually first learned the word "ESTOPPEL" here at TUG and I constantly mis-spell it, no kidding.
On my first timeshare, the Sands of Kahana, the EOY ebay listing showed the MF at twice the amount that it should have been. I knew what the correct MF should be, but that error in the listing resulted in essentially no one else bidding. I thought that since it was an EOY that they made a simple mistake. After I won the bid and things were progressing, I think that the seller or closer requested an estoppel because I was contacted that they had actually sold me TWO WEEKS EOY. The seller said that I could either accept it at the bid price, or I could back out. The seller said that the cost to split the week into two weeks and resell would be significant. So, I ended up with 2 weeks EOY. For me, that is great. An unexpected benefit. After all, with the expense of flying and losing a day in re-acclimating, staying 2 weeks makes more sense than staying just a single week.

iftravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Hilton Head
On my first timeshare, the Sands of Kahana, the EOY ebay listing showed the MF at twice the amount that it should have been. I knew what the correct MF should be, but that error in the listing resulted in essentially no one else bidding. I thought that since it was an EOY that they made a simple mistake. After I won the bid and things were progressing, I think that the seller or closer requested an estoppel because I was contacted that they had actually sold me TWO WEEKS EOY. The seller said that I could either accept it at the bid price, or I could back out. The seller said that the cost to split the week into two weeks and resell would be significant. So, I ended up with 2 weeks EOY. For me, that is great. An unexpected benefit. After all, with the expense of flying and losing a day in re-acclimating, staying 2 weeks makes more sense than staying just a single week.
This is a lovely "estoppel" story with happy ending. I love it.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Would title insurance also get the same info (and more) as an estoppel? I used to only get it on $$$ purchases and not a <$1k/freebie, and, luckily, never had any issues. But, if I ever buy a resale off ebay again, I might get it, just so no unexpected surprises later.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
The company issuing the title insurance will get it to make sure they do not have to cough up some money later if something is not correct.
Considering that an estoppel is likely going to be cheaper than a title insurance, should you choose to pay for something, you may be better of cost-wise to pay for an estoppel if it is a freebie.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
There certainly is a lot of good information in this thread - buyers beware.
And yet the name of the company is not disclosed by the OP, so no buyer can beware. All a buyer is left with is presumably another thread where this company was described as completing a satisfactory transaction, that caused OP to initially go with this company. (Who knows, that could have been a shill, we don't know.)

So the next potential buyer may still proceed with this company despite OP's less than stellar experience.