• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] Disney? Please Explain the allure

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Re: Disney? Please Explain the allure

Big Matt said:
John,
could you give a few examples? I went to Orlando/Disney as an adult four years ago for the first time and really don't have anything from the past to compare to.

Thanks.

When DW opened and for about 15 years after part of the magic was the total comitment to making the guest unaware of the process that created the experience. It was handled after hours, below ground - never did you see a painter or hardly ever a dropped cup - they "magically" were just done. At one time there were 4 employees for every 10 guests. The attractions were all new and even those that weren't were so perfectly maintained that you thought they were. I even bemoan th change from the A-E tickets to the buffett lines of today as I feel that really degraded the park experience. Those tickets forced guests to spread out over all the various attractions rather than lining up in never ending queues for the top 10-15. There was no need for early entrance or fast pass as the tickets naturally spaced out the demand.

Like every company they had to cut back on upkeep and haven't stayed up with the attractions. I really feel they are trading off the name now rather than providing the once remarkable and totally unique experience Disney once was. Perhaps it's with rose colored glasses but the parks of today aren't close to that experience I never even had until my 30's. My young days at an mausement park were at Seabreeze in Rochester, NY. Now THAT is small park (it shrunk somehow as I grew) with zero theme yet those days were every bit as magical as any visit to Disney ever was. Young eyes will give you that magic.

Sue K

TUG Member
Reaction score

It has been my experience that folks are either Disney people or non-Disney people. The Disney people are the ones who still have a little child in them no matter how old they are. I am a senior citizen but go to WDW almost every year with my five grandchildren (and their parents). While there the child in me has a blast and we have memories made with our families that no one can take away from us, ever. I feel sorry for those who are so jaded and "old" that they can no longer find the child in them. I also feel sorry for their children and grandchildren because they are missing out on so much. My husband and I take our beach vacations and sure, that is much more relaxing, but the WDW vacations make the lasting memories, and we look forward to those just as much.

We were introduced to Disney in the 60's when we lived five minute from Disneyland so I have "known Disney" for a very long time. My husband had taken a job transfer to So. Cal. and everyone said we "had to experience Disneyland". This was before there were any other theme type parks and this was a new concept in entertainment. The first time we visited the Magic Kingdom with our two little girls I was enchanted! It was an amazing experience, and I still feel that awe every time I go to WDW.

Contrary to John, I don't think Disney has changed that much. They still do entertainment like nobody else!! You still get more bang for your buck than anywhere else. Many have copied them but no one has come close. What has changed is the attitude of people. Sadly, people have changed. It has become a "me" society and that is demonstrated everywhere you go. Everyone is there to get their money's worth and to heck with everyone else. Few children are taught manners any more. What they are taught from their parents is get your share no matter who is in your way or who you have to step on. This is what has changed Disney and it is a sad commentary on our world!!!

geekette

Reaction score

Sue K said:
It has been my experience that folks are either Disney people or non-Disney people. The Disney people are the ones who still have a little child in them no matter how old they are. I am a senior citizen but go to WDW almost every year with my five grandchildren (and their parents). While there the child in me has a blast and we have memories made with our families that no one can take away from us, ever. I feel sorry for those who are so jaded and "old" that they can no longer find the child in them. I also feel sorry for their children and grandchildren because they are missing out on so much. My husband and I take our beach vacations and sure, that is much more relaxing, but the WDW vacations make the lasting memories, and we look forward to those just as much.

That's not fair.

Just because I'm not a Disney Person doesn't mean I can't find the child in me (I work in a children's museum!). It only means my inner child isn't a Disney Kid. Good thing, cuz my outer adult paycheck couldn't possibly afford to feed Disney to the inner child. I don't feel that I'm missing out; don't feel sorry for me.

I have fine fine memories of many trips I've taken but have never found that there is only one place to make lasting memories. That's the kind of expectation I absolutely would not want to pass on to my kids.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando

NTHC said:
Sea Six
Perhaps a maid would make your life happier.

Cindy

I'm not the one with the problem. You're not even happy at The Happiest Place On Earth:bawl:

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW

timeos2 said:
When DW opened and for about 15 years after part of the magic was the total comitment to making the guest unaware of the process that created the experience. It was handled after hours, below ground - never did you see a painter or hardly ever a dropped cup - they "magically" were just done.

You are kidding right....

WDW has ALWAYS done the painting and picking up in front of the guests...

DL has Monday closed to do this stuff. WDW is over 7 days a week all year long.

It has always done the painting in front of guest. Believe me I have been going since 71..... our trip visit (on site - Polyn) was in 72 - there was a painter on main street then....

Steve

Reaction score
No personal attacks

Let's keep this thread on topic. People are free to explain why they like...or don't like...Disney, but personal attacks are to be avoided. Several posts have crossed over the line. I don't want to have to start editing posts, but I will if this continues. Let's just have a civil discussion. No one is any better or any worse of a person regardless of his or her feelings toward the Mouse.

Steve
TUG Moderator

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW

to the op

sorry - some people love Disney - others actually hate it. My brother went (because grandmother made him) in the 70's hasn't been back and won't be back.....He just doesn't know what he is missing (my opinion).

going to WDW without a plan - is not EVER a good ideal.... it is just too big and spread out to see everything if you don't know what to do.

did you do you research?

did you visit the disboards, or buy one of the many books on WDW?

then sorry it might have been your lack of research that was the problem.

You did knew about staying onsite because EMH not to mention transportation...

you knew about fass passes.

Now I would occasionally like a beach stay - own on the beach too. but my mother gets bores and kept demanding a thing to do each day...... and won't let me :zzz: or read a book....:annoyed:

I take her to Disney - get her worn out and the next day I can read my book....:clap:

WDW is one of the few places that research is very, very important to do....

When I go to Disney - I try to stay onsite the Disney days - offsite the rest of the trip.

I go to Disney to do the parks - so I have a plan - get up early each morning - when the crowds or the heat/humidity get to you - go back to the hotel.... all WDW hotels have very nice pools (enjoy them)....(you won't be alone) - later in the evening go back to the parks. Find out which park is doing EMH that night and stay until it closes....

with the EMH schedule right now - I like Sunday and Monday.... I can see all 4 parks Sun, mon, tues....

then for the rest of the week - I enjoy the offsite timeshares I am at and go shopping, SW, US, or I get to read my book....:clap: :hi:

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

My daughter and son in law met at Disney with the college program. Its not much of a college program but it gave my daughter the chance to move away from home into a pretty safe environment. It was a great learning experience for her. She worked in Magic Kingdom for 2 sessions and she said that the parents would want to get so much for thier money inspite of the tired kids. She felt sorry for the kids.She said it would have been better if the kids had a place to take a nap. When she was taking thier pictures, the parents would be yelling at them to smile. She would ask the little girls what princess they liked the best and when they answered they would have big grins, thus good pictures. The boys she would talk about pirates, etc.

I take my grandkids there every year and we have a ball. But if it werent for them, I would bypass Disney and go to Epcot and spend more time at the beach. I also dont do 2 parks, 2 days in a row. Maybe we should start a new thread on "Secrets of how to keep the magic".

breezylawn

Reaction score

Disney is the BEST! We love Disney and all it's magic. You can feel it in the air! If you don't have that feeling all over, then it's not for you. But there is something for everyone at every theme park. And every age group. And remember it's only a day or so at the parks...why not go with it and enjoy? Life's too short to let anything bother you. Particularly a Disney vacation!:hi:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

our son-in-law really disliked Disney for years, he had always gone during school breaks and stood in line for rides and barely rode any in a day, which was all the time they had for Disney while staying with grandparents.

Then he went with us during January the week before college started again, now he loves Disney. We always follow the advice in The Unofficial Guide, which helps us enjoy every trip, plus we went when kids were in school. Rick and I are great tour guides now, after our 30+ magical trips. We are hooked!

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score

I love Disney, and always have. I just find it an escapist pleasure. DH, on the other hand would be perfectly happy never to go again. (We have been every year for the past 12 years.) His idea of a perfect vacation is the opportunity to lay on the beach, possibly followed by some great food, a few drinks and some great music. I would probably like that too, but there are 2 problems, DS11 and DD8. While we are trying to do nothing, they are bored and complaining, and anyone with kids can vouch for the fact that a miserable child can turn any paradise into some unique vesion of Hades. They love WDW, so we go back, and even DH enjoys watching them have fun. Maybe soon we will get that beach vacation!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

We are going to Hawaii next month for two weeks, one on Kauai at the best resort on the island, Shearwater. Although I am looking forward to that full oceanfront, oceanview unit, I am looking forward to our next trip to Orlando even more, lots more!

I am a Disney nut! :p

For me, Disney is the absolute best vacation. I don't even know why we bought Hawaii weeks because I really want to own Disney points. That is my next goal, then I want to buy Bluegreen.

We own a business that keeps me strapped to a computer and telephone all day, so walking around Disney is a great release for me. I love the rides, the weather of the off-season, the ambience, the magic. :whoopie: We don't buy much food in the parks, we take a cooler, so with that savings, we buy annual passes. Plus, our exchanges are cheap into Disneyworld (less than $590 for the week) and we stay at the best places, although that requires staying at some bad ones occasionally to weed them out. ;)

Carl D

Reaction score

The allure & Magic of Disney...
I didn't come up with this quote, but it says it all-

"Those who have to ask will never understand, and those who understand will never have to ask."

Robnsunny

TUG Member
Reaction score

I've said before that neither I nor my family can quite see the allure of Disney. They're nice parks but horribly over priced. My daughters when given a choice of the a second day at Disney or a second day at Sea World have consistantly chosen Sea World.

I think part of the reason is that Disney is too expensive to be more than a one day shot for us. Most other places, we know we'll return and feel no rush to see everything. It's more relaxing.

Season passes for Busch Gardens Williamsburg cost only a little more than a single day at Disney. The food is much better than any we've had at Disney (we've only had the fast foods) and much cheaper. The landscaping is lusher and more natural and the whole environment is more relaxing.

We're going back to Orlando this August. We'll be going to Discovery Cove, a little Sea World, Busch Gardens Tampa and maybe a little Universal. We'll go early to beat the heat and leave when the lines get long and won't feel like we're missing anything because we can go back anytime during the week. Disney didn't make the cut in a family decision.

cherokee_villager

TUG Member
Reaction score

Having lived in South Florida for 27 years, and having made many trips to Orlando, and Disney, I would say that Disney World is the most overated experience ever hyped. Their advertising suck's you in, and then your wallet and health are left in dire strait's. But it help's pay the taxes in Florida, so keep coming.

Carl D

Reaction score

cherokee_villager said:
having made many trips to Orlando, and Disney, I would say that Disney World is the most overated experience ever hyped.
We are all entitled to our own opinion, by I'm curious...
If you dislike it so much, how come you have gone back so many times?

Carl D

Reaction score

I would like to add something about the cost of WDW admission, food, etc...

Once you see and realize all the behind the scenes work, I'm not sure how they make ends meet.
I mean seriously I know they make a profit, but the vastness of the operation blows my mind.

Just ask yourself how much Disney spends on service vehicles in a year, or how much it costs to feed and care for the animals at Animal Kingdom.
Let alone the stuff we can see, such as every show, every character, the costumes are always perfect and clean.
How much electricity do you suppose such an operation uses?

You must remember that Disney does things in a big way. They charge good money for admission, but IMO, you get MORE than you pay for.

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score

I, for one, don't think Disney is so overpriced. When you think of the many hours you can spend for the admission price compared to prices for concerts, movies, etc. that last for a couple of hours. All the maintenance involved at Disney, the beautiful grounds, etc. would be very expensive.

We buy an annual pass, last year we spend 45 days in Disney, so it was very inexpensive per day. With the new MYW tickets it seems to be pretty reasonable. Especially if you throw in the dining plan.

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score

Whoops, I think I must have been posting the same time as Carl. At least we have the same thoughts.

spatenfloot

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think Universal Studios/Islands of Adventures is a lot more fun and a much better bargain than the Disney parks. You can get a preferred annual pass for less than $200 and renew it for about $100 a year. Plus they have a great deal for people with smaller kids right now (free tickets with adult purchase).

I visit Animal Kingdom for a day when I am in Orlando but don't mind skipping the other parks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We have been considering the dining plan during our next Disney trip. Do you really think it is worth it, since every person in your party has to participate, and you must use it for every single day of your stay? For just two of us, $37.99 a day would cost us almost $531.96! That is a chunk of change for a couple of meals and snacks per day. I will admit that it might be fun once, but we are not rich people and would probably feel funny about paying that much for food. Although I don't think we would bother with a rental car if we bought the food plan, which would save about $120 + gas.

I just don't understand why everyone does not love Disney. Every minute of our trips is magical. I think buying The Unofficial Guide every year really adds to the excitement. We love to check the calendars on the Disney site for special entertainment, way ahead of time. We don't plan our trips by the calendar, but I would have loved to see Davy Jones in concert this past month for "Flower Power." We saw a few of the artists early in the month, but I would rather have seen Davy. :whoopie: We have been to lots of free concerts at Epcot, and enjoyed every one.

Everything is so much more fun without whining kids. :D I used to imagine our trips without them and thought it would be sad when they all left, not so. Although we enjoy our children and do remember the good times in the parks and the anticipation of every trip, I never felt the magic as much as I have the last six years without them. Hawaii has been more fun with the kids that without.

Carl D

Reaction score

rickandcindy23 said:
We have been considering the dining plan during our next Disney trip. Do you really think it is worth it, since every person in your party has to participate, and you must use it for every single day of your stay? For just two of us, $37.99 a day would cost us almost $531.96! That is a chunk of change for a couple of meals and snacks per day. I will admit that it might be fun once, but we are not rich people and would probably feel funny about paying that much for food. Although I don't think we would bother with a rental car if we bought the food plan, which would save about $120 + gas.
The dinning plan question... There is no one size fits all answer, as every family does the food thing differently. For us the Disney Dinning Experience (20% off meals including booze) works best. I never figured out exactly what the dinning plan would do for us, but I'm assuming it's not the right plan. We eat at signature Disney restaurants every night, and order our share of alcohol.

Anyway, the only way to know foresure is to put pencil to paper, look at the menus, and figure out the cost each way. There is a tip included in the dinning plan, though I'm not sure how much.

ladycody

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just a quick note...and I'm not in any way saying that Disney doesnt have huge expenses...but alot of their characters and a number of employees are interns who work for next to nothing. Just a little tidbit for those who are interested in the "how" of how some things work.:D

Carl D

Reaction score

ladycody said:
Just a quick note...and I'm not in any way saying that Disney doesnt have huge expenses...but alot of their characters and a number of employees are interns who work for next to nothing. Just a little tidbit for those who are interested in the "how" of how some things work.:D
Perhaps you can elighten me a bit here. Doesn't Disney provide inexpensive housing for a good number of the people in the College Program? Especially for the folks from other countries? Do they get some sort of supplement for tuition?

I thought you might be in the know, and I always wondered about the particulars of the College Program (I think that's what it's called).

Thanks

ladycody

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes...they get basic housing (decent and looks like they have a pool to access too)...like a college dorm suite...and there is a fee charged for it (average is $75 per week) that includes basic living expenses (but not meals). They are paid somewhere around 6.50 an hour and gauranteed 30 hours. The girl I knew was in their professional internship program....and didnt particularly like it.
You can read about the college program at: here.

Last edited: