• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Eff Off Costco. I'm Not Paying $75 for Thee Steaks!

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of times, we like to get some prime filet, strip and ribeye….we grill them, slice them up and everyone digs in! Sooo delicious! Thank you Costco!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Chef school class 101, fats = flavor. Seriously, that's taught in the class. I get it that ribeye is a fatty cut, but it is also more delicious. Personally, I prefer ribeye and I also try to cut off visible fats while eating.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Lots of times, we like to get some prime filet, strip and ribeye….we grill them, slice them up and everyone digs in! Sooo delicious! Thank you Costco!

A friend of ours wanted to try the Costco Waygu or Kobe NY steaks so eight of us chipped in. I think each steak was about $60 so our share was $120. They were cooked in a kamato. It was tasty but because I had my buzz on by the time we dined I wasn't impressed as I thought I would be.

Then there were the years I was a pescatarian and didn't include any meat other than fish or the very occasional chicken breast. This is why I became so fond of Costo Atlantic Salmon.

Bill

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Do they sell Prime Rib in larger cuttable roasts that could thus be cut to make ribeye? Sorry, but there is no way I am wasting my money on tenderloin. IMO, too dry and no flavor.
They sell the NY Strip Roast. It's fantastic, and cheaper than the tenderloin roast. We buy the roast, figure how much of it we need for our holiday meal and cut the rest up for steaks. We can usually get 4-5 good sized steaks after we take into account our meal.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chef school class 101, fats = flavor. Seriously, that's taught in the class. I get it that ribeye is a fatty cut, but it is also more delicious. Personally, I prefer ribeye and I also try to cut off visible fats while eating.
The fat that counts when it comes to steaks is the intramuscular fat (which is how beef is graded). Those globs of "visible" fat in a ribeye steak do not do much for the overall flavor of the steak.

Everyone has their own taste; comparing a strip steak to a ribeye, both with the same approximate degree of intramuscular fat, the ribeye is noticeably more tender and the strip steak has a "beefier" taste, at least for me.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, still cheaper than going to local butcher shop where they charge you double or triple the price per lb.
what butcher do you go to that charges $40 or $60 per pound? Even the super expensive Italian meat market by me is charging $20 - $23 lb for creekstone farm steaks.

I can buy meat at Food Emporium. I can get ribeye for $12.99/lb and Filet Mignon $15.99. They claim that all their steaks are USDA Prime. Not sure if that is the entire chain or just the location in Marlboro, NJ. This store in particular is excellent - not the cheapest, but always excellent.

As for Costco - they have gotten very expensive. I compare some of the same items between costco and sams club. Most of the time, sams club sells the same item for less. For example - cubed beef for stew. $6.99/lb at Costco - $4.99/lb at Sams. Even packaged goods are cheaper - like Oxyclean - the unit price (because they sell different size containers) was 25% cheaper at Sams.

Sometimes I see a better price at Costco - but not often. Lamb seems to have come down at Costco - I bought lamb loin chops for $5.99/lb yesterday. I like boneless/skinless chicken thighs - the price per pound is higher at Costco than I pay almost anywhere else - and they are poor generic quality. Aldi or Sanderson Farms is better. Ground Turkey at Costco is expensive, but it comes in a good convenient size - ready to freeze, so I suck it up.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
what butcher do you go to that charges $40 or $60 per pound? Even the super expensive Italian meat market by me is charging $20 - $23 lb for creekstone farm steaks.

If you want the good stuff you order online from Flannery Beef.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
A local Costco has both thin and thick cut ribeye. Most packages were in the $50-60 range.
1713120370697.png

1713120423477.png

1713120500671.png

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the going rate at local butcher shop for prime grade steaks. Hence we love buying Costco's steaks.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mean the Kirkland Signature USDA Beef Loin Tenderloin Peeled Extreme long big piece of tenderloin that is vacuumed packed so you can cut your steaks from it, not the packs of three or four steaks they have already cut.

There is a store called Grocery Outlet by me. They sell those pieces for $8.99/lb. Plus there is very little to trim. Usually spend about $35 and get 10 Filets or so. Then thin tail gets chopped up and used for fried rice or some other dish.
If you want the good stuff you order online from Flannery Beef.
Why would I ever order meat through the mail??? No shortage of meat or butchers locally.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a store called Grocery Outlet by me. They sell those pieces for $8.99/lb. Plus there is very little to trim. Usually spend about $35 and get 10 Filets or so. Then thin tail gets chopped up and used for fried rice or some other dish.

Why would I ever order meat through the mail??? No shortage of meat or butchers locally.
Wow, that is great about the Grocery Outlet….we have nothing like that here. Enjoy that deliciousness!

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club

Do you think the steaks they serve at a place like Outback or Sizzler are the same as the steak they serve at a high end steakhouse like St Anselm? St Anselm is expanding. They opened an outlet in DC in addition to their original restaurant in Williamsburg. I got their butcher's cut for $29 in NYC when I was there in 2021. Best steak I have ever had.

If you want to get the good stuff from Flannery Beef check out a website call Wine Berserkers. They have a Berserkers Day around the end of January that has great deals. Flannery I believe is 40% off.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Costco was out of prime so we tried the butchers 8oz cuts of filet mignon from Capitol Grill in Dallas for $27 a piece and grilled them at home…..delicious! But I must say the prime we get from Costco is pretty darn good, too! Or maybe it’s just my husband‘s excellent grilling.🥰

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Agreed. Costco was out of prime so we tried the butchers 8oz cuts of filet mignon from Capitol Grill in Dallas for $27 a piece and grilled them at home…..delicious! But I must say the prime we get from Costco is pretty darn good, too! Or maybe it’s just my husband‘s excellent grilling.🥰
I hope they were good for $54/pound.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
They were delicious! And made perfectly the way we like them! With an excellent 95 point bottle of wine, it was much less than dining in at the Capital Grille…and worth it to celebrate a big birthday.
From their website…Welcome to The Capital Butcher, your online local source for dry aged and exceptional steaks cut daily by our in house butcher for cooking at home. Each Grille Box includes our very own Capital Grille Signature Steak Sauce to enhance your experience, but you may find the cuts alone to be perfect as is. Enjoy.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
So I went to Costco to get some meat. Looked at the ribeye, which I know beef has gone up in price, current Costco price is $12.99/lb. The steaks were all cut so thick that the total weight of every package in the meat case was about 6lbs. That made each steak almost 2lbs. I can't eat that and it isn't like I could really cut it in half as they would be too thin. You can't really split a ribeye by cooking and cutting in half because one person gets a heal and the other the more tender end.

Anyway, I didn't buy their over cut steaks and went for ground beef instead. WTH, who would think it makes sense to cut a steaks so thick and make the packages $75 each?

I tend to agree with you. Costco does cut their steaks to thick. They do their pork chops the same way, to thick. We will buy the Filet’s at Costco. Since they’re a smaller cut, it works out fine if they’re cut thick. Otherwise we look to Sam’s Club for meat. Sam’s doesn’t cut the pork chops or steaks as thick as Costco, so it works out better for us.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So I went to Costco to get some meat. Looked at the ribeye, which I know beef has gone up in price, current Costco price is $12.99/lb. The steaks were all cut so thick that the total weight of every package in the meat case was about 6lbs. That made each steak almost 2lbs. I can't eat that and it isn't like I could really cut it in half as they would be too thin. You can't really split a ribeye by cooking and cutting in half because one person gets a heal and the other the more tender end.

Anyway, I didn't buy their over cut steaks and went for ground beef instead. WTH, who would think it makes sense to cut a steaks so thick and make the packages $75 each?
I stopped buying steaks from Costco once I learned that they Blade tenderized the steaks. So your only option is to buy the whole roast or the filet's because they don't blade tenderize the filet. I will only buy the blade tenderized meat that I know I will cook to well done such as braised short ribs.

They do sell vacuum sealers which I recommend. I usually buy a ton of fish and cut them up into individual steaks and vacuum seal each.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why would I ever order meat through the mail???

In the past, some companies and associates would send us Omaha Steaks at Christmas. It was always nice to receive this gift and you do remember those that sent it.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, I dont disagree. But Omaha are very expensive vs local store and not exactly great quality.

We don't care for Omaha steaks at all because to us they are way worse than choice grade that you get from the stores.

Actually, I think the Omaha Steaks tasted pretty good. Not $40 a pound good, imo. Supposedly, these steaks are dry aged for about a month. The cows are grass fed grain finished. I think most steaks tasted good when cooked properly.

Bill

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
They do sell vacuum sealers which I recommend. I usually buy a ton of fish and cut them up into individual steaks and vacuum seal each.

I’ve seen those at the store and keep thinking of doing that, but never do. Thanks for the reminder! I should buy one next time I’m there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you take these steak to a local butcher and asked them to cut the steak in half?

Reactions: Tia