• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Eff Off Costco. I'm Not Paying $75 for Thee Steaks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So I went to Costco to get some meat. Looked at the ribeye, which I know beef has gone up in price, current Costco price is $12.99/lb. The steaks were all cut so thick that the total weight of every package in the meat case was about 6lbs. That made each steak almost 2lbs. I can't eat that and it isn't like I could really cut it in half as they would be too thin. You can't really split a ribeye by cooking and cutting in half because one person gets a heal and the other the more tender end.

Anyway, I didn't buy their over cut steaks and went for ground beef instead. WTH, who would think it makes sense to cut a steaks so thick and make the packages $75 each?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have stopped buying many items at Costco. Milk, other dairy products, eggs, fruit, and most meats are less expensive at WINCO or on sale at Krogers or Safeway.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
$12.99 per pound for good Ribeye is not bad These days. I wish I had access, but we have to wait another two years for ours to open. Costco typically has great meat.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
$12.99 per pound for good Ribeye is not bad These days. I wish I had access, but we have to wait another two years for ours to open. Costco typically has great meat.
I'm not arguing the price per pound. My issue was why cut the steaks so thick that the package costs $75.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We smoke thick cut prime grade ribeye and new york steaks from Costco, when smoking is done, about 2.5 hours for steaks, we increase the temperature to do a quick sear. We don't like thin cut steaks.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not arguing the price per pound. My issue was why cut the steaks so thick that the package costs $75.
I can relate to that!

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We smoke thick cut prime grade ribeye and new york steaks from Costco, when smoking is done, about 2.5 hours for steaks, we increase the temperature to do a quick sear. We don't like thin cut steaks.
I’ve done their Tomahawk. It was amazing.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm not a fan of thin cuts either, but a two pound cut is a little excessive for my taste. I noticed the prime steak wasn't cut as thick it was only the USDA choice. I'm not rich enough to dine on prime.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Costco prime is what we have been getting for years. Unfortunately they haven't had it in stock much this last year. Wanted to have a big vacuum packed prime filet mignon delivered to our son for his birthday, but his Costco didn’t have prime, so I had to go with the choice. He said the choice was still delicious! We like our steaks thick, so the vacuum pack is great for cutting them the way we want them. dioxide45, you might want to try the vacuum pack…I Know it’s pricey, but you can get quite a few steaks from one…my son got 8 super think cuts and some tidbits from his. Then you can eat what you need and freeze the rest for later. 😊 Just a thought.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The Prime packs were $100 for three steaks. Though they are priced at $19.99/lb.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Prime packs were $100 for three steaks. Though they are priced at $19.99/lb.
I mean the Kirkland Signature USDA Beef Loin Tenderloin Peeled Extreme long big piece of tenderloin that is vacuumed packed so you can cut your steaks from it, not the packs of three or four steaks they have already cut.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I mean the Kirkland Signature USDA Beef Loin Tenderloin Peeled Extreme long big piece of tenderloin that is vacuumed packed so you can cut your steaks from it, not the packs of three or four steaks they have already cut.
Do they sell Prime Rib in larger cuttable roasts that could thus be cut to make ribeye? Sorry, but there is no way I am wasting my money on tenderloin. IMO, too dry and no flavor.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they sell them year round for ribeye, but the tenderloin is not at all dry and lacking flavor….it the exact opposite….wonderfully tender and flavorful…and it‘s absolutely delicious filet mignon. Not at all a waste of money, unless you can’t stand filet mignon, We grill them seasoned with garlic and onion salts and freshly ground pepper. Put a pat of butter on the top at the end. Even one of my sons who prefers ribeye loves it. No one we have ever served has ever commented about it being dry or lacking flavor…just the opposite…only compliments. But it’s not ribeye if that is what you prefer.
You could always ask the butchers at Costco if they could had any rib roasts available in back, and if so, then ask them to cut it to your desired thickness. They are susally really nice and helpful if they have the specific meat available.
Costco used to sometimes sell the big prime rib roasts around Christmas which we would make for Christmas dinner, But we never used them to cut into ribeyes.…just made delicious roasted prime rib. However, the last two years they only had choice rib roasts, so didn’t get them. Instead we made this recipe which was fantastic.…used the prime tenderloin cut into filet mignon for it. Got the cognac at Costco, too. It’s a recipe from the restaurant Lavendou in Dallas.

Tournedos Felix Faure ~ Beef Tenderloin with Black Peppercorn and Mushroom Sauce​

Beef​

A Serving of 4​

Ingredients for Tournados Felix Faure​

4-8 oz Beef Tenderloin 2 tsp Salt 4 tsp Course Black Peppercorns 2 cups dice Mushrooms 1 tbsp Olive Oil 1/4 cup Butter 1/2 cup of Cognac 1/2 cup Veal Stock 3/4 cup Heavy Cream

Method for Tournados Felix Faure​

• Season both sides of each tenderloin with salt and pat them in the black peppercorns.

• Heat oil and butter in a large heavy skillet over high heat, and then sauté the tenderloins, 2 at the time, for 3-4 minutes on each side.

• Transfer the tenderloins to a heatproof dish and keep them warm in a 175 degree oven.

• In the skillet, add the mushroom, sauté for 2 minutes, until cooked.

• Add the tenderloin to the skillet and carefully add the cognac and flame it.

• Add the veal stock, then a minute after, the cream, bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens.

• Serve the tenderloin coated with the sauce with some Pommes Frites! Et Voila !!!

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Personally we like thicker cut steaks. Less than 1 1/2" and we typically pass. IDK about Costco, none near us, but Sam's Club also has about the best meat around anymore. Which continues to surprise me. We get their choice and it's really good.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
So I went to Costco to get some meat. Looked at the ribeye, which I know beef has gone up in price, current Costco price is $12.99/lb. The steaks were all cut so thick that the total weight of every package in the meat case was about 6lbs. That made each steak almost 2lbs. I can't eat that and it isn't like I could really cut it in half as they would be too thin. You can't really split a ribeye by cooking and cutting in half because one person gets a heal and the other the more tender end.

Anyway, I didn't buy their over cut steaks and went for ground beef instead. WTH, who would think it makes sense to cut a steaks so thick and make the packages $75 each?

Go in and ask for a ribeye roast. Then cut it to the thickness you want. If costco has equipment out that they are using they might cut it for you, but I usually just cut it myself. I bought a roast for $115, It is Prime 1 graded. I cut it into 9 steaks, about an inch a piece. Much better sizing for me.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco wants you to buy the largest possible packages of everything. A couple of years ago I was hunting for the smallest package of salmon, and they were all about four or five pounds--not one big fillet, but at least two big ones in each package. A worker was putting out new packages and I asked him if there would be any smaller ones. He said no, that the word was from Costco that each package should be at least four pounds.

Since then, they've backed down from that and I sometimes have found fish in smaller packages. But generally they would like you to buy a nice large package of everything.

We do like steaks cut thick, but we don't usually buy meat at Costco because the packages are indeed too big for us, and we haven't had great luck with their steaks. Everyone always says how good their meat is, but somehow not for us.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

Even worse, there are typically 3-4 steaks in each pack, but one is always full of fat and gristle (that steak is usually partially covered by the price sticker). Costco typically still has good pork (chops and tenderloin) at a reasonable price and excellent lamb chops, My butcher shop prices have substantially increased, so I can't afford their prices. I now have been buying most of my meat at Fresh Market. They have daily specials on chicken, beef, and other items so you really have to shop the specials. I bought excellent NY strip steaks the other day for $10.99 and the sizes were perfect for us. They were as tender and flavorful as most ribeyes, but much leaner. Last week they had excellent whole beef tenderloin for $16.99. We have cut back dramatically on our beef consumption, but their meats have been worth the price.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Costco started cutting their beef kind of odd, imo. I was looking at ribeye and they were either very thin or very thick. I bought a prime rib roast and cut seven steaks out of it. They were pretty good but a couple of the steaks were tapered.

Bill

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I don’t think they sell them year round for ribeye, but the tenderloin is not at all dry and lacking flavor….it the exact opposite….wonderfully tender and flavorful…and it‘s absolutely delicious filet mignon. Not at all a waste of money, unless you can’t stand filet mignon, We grill them seasoned with garlic and onion salts and freshly ground pepper. Put a pat of butter on the top at the end. Even one of my sons who prefers ribeye loves it. No one we have ever served has ever commented about it being dry or lacking flavor…just the opposite…only compliments. But it’s not ribeye if that is what you prefer.
You could always ask the butchers at Costco if they could had any rib roasts available in back, and if so, then ask them to cut it to your desired thickness. They are susally really nice and helpful if they have the specific meat available.
Costco used to sometimes sell the big prime rib roasts around Christmas which we would make for Christmas dinner, But we never used them to cut into ribeyes.…just made delicious roasted prime rib. However, the last two years they only had choice rib roasts, so didn’t get them. Instead we made this recipe which was fantastic.…used the prime tenderloin cut into filet mignon for it. Got the cognac at Costco, too. It’s a recipe from the restaurant Lavendou in Dallas.

Tournedos Felix Faure ~ Beef Tenderloin with Black Peppercorn and Mushroom Sauce​

Beef​

A Serving of 4​

Ingredients for Tournados Felix Faure​

4-8 oz Beef Tenderloin 2 tsp Salt 4 tsp Course Black Peppercorns 2 cups dice Mushrooms 1 tbsp Olive Oil 1/4 cup Butter 1/2 cup of Cognac 1/2 cup Veal Stock 3/4 cup Heavy Cream

Method for Tournados Felix Faure​

• Season both sides of each tenderloin with salt and pat them in the black peppercorns.

• Heat oil and butter in a large heavy skillet over high heat, and then sauté the tenderloins, 2 at the time, for 3-4 minutes on each side.

• Transfer the tenderloins to a heatproof dish and keep them warm in a 175 degree oven.

• In the skillet, add the mushroom, sauté for 2 minutes, until cooked.

• Add the tenderloin to the skillet and carefully add the cognac and flame it.

• Add the veal stock, then a minute after, the cream, bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens.

• Serve the tenderloin coated with the sauce with some Pommes Frites! Et Voila !!!
I agree. I have never had a dry tenderloin, and could never describe one as dry or flavorless. We usually make ours teppan-style, and it literally melts in your mouth like cotton candy. Even grilled, they come out juicy and tasty. The only way to ruin tenderloin is to over-cook, like past medium.

But everyone has their preferences.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a couple years we may have a Costco , right now the closest is a couple hours away.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree. I have never had a dry tenderloin, and could never describe one as dry or flavorless. We usually make ours teppan-style, and it literally melts in your mouth like cotton candy. Even grilled, they come out juicy and tasty. The only way to ruin tenderloin is to over-cook, like past medium.

But everyone has their preferences.
I don't mind tenderloin, but it lacks fat and fat is what adds flavor. Filet is far too lean. Any time a sauce has to be added to a steak it is because the steak is otherwise lacking. We cook or order all steaks medium rare and while tenderloin is, well, tender it doesn't have the same flavor as ribeye. The fact that tenderloin is more expensive than ribeye is odd to me as for us ribeye is the better cut. It is a reason we also don't like t-bone. Two of our least favorite cuts in one, NY strip and filet. For tenderloin, I do prefer a thick cut, but ribeye 1-1.5 inches is probably the most. The ones at Costco were at least 2.5 if not more.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Lots of different opinions on favorite cuts of meat. Personally I really like NY strips, but also enjoy the ribeye. My wife likes the filet, but part of that is based on her wanting a smaller cut of of meat. She would hate it if served her 2 lb ribeye... If we do get larger steaks, then I usually cook one and then slice it up before we serve it. Not quite as nice a presentation as full steak, but it works for us..

I have noticed the large packages at Costco, at least with the big Salmon filets you can easily cut those into smaller filets and freeze the rest.