• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Depositing, then saving points

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have already booked all of my planed timeshare travel for 2017, and still have about 4000 extra points. If i deposit those into 2018, could it then also save them into 2019 on the off chance i don't use them in 2018?

I am just trying to see if there is any advantage to using the deposit feature, vs just waiting to the end of 2017 then saving them into 2018.

I typically just deposit the extra points, and borrow back if needed, but now wondering i was just incurring extra fees.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
From HGVC Club Rules:

Deposited points may not be used to make a Home Week reservation and may not be carried over beyond one (1) year.

It's a little vague on how it would apply to your situation. It reads like you can save your deposited points. Perhaps a member with actual experience can clarify.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO, it's pretty clear that the rule for "saving" points applies only to current-year points, not deposited points. Historically, there was no way to extend the life of current-year points. The rule allowing members to "rescue" ("save") points was designed to address that specific issue.

AFAIK, the only way to keep deposited points from expiring is to deposit them to the RCI program. Per the rules:
"Members may deposit current year ClubPoints or previously deposited ClubPoints into the RCI Exchange Program for RCI exchange reservations. RCI deposits are valid from the date of deposit through an additional two calendar years." (emphasis added)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
IMHO, it's pretty clear that the rule for "saving" points applies only to current-year points, not deposited points. Historically, there was no way to extend the life of current-year points. The rule allowing members to "rescue" ("save") points was designed to address that specific issue.

AFAIK, the only way to keep deposited points from expiring is to deposit them to the RCI program. Per the rules:
"Members may deposit current year ClubPoints or previously deposited ClubPoints into the RCI Exchange Program for RCI exchange reservations. RCI deposits are valid from the date of deposit through an additional two calendar years." (emphasis added)

Do you know what the $120 Extend RCI deposit is for? Is that paid for the second year, so you end up paying $84 to deposit into RCI plus $120 to get the second year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Do you know what the $120 Extend RCI deposit is for? Is that paid for the second year, so you end up paying $84 to deposit into RCI plus $120 to get the second year?

No. Better than that...
There's an obscure option to extend points in the RCI program for one year beyond their scheduled expiration.
Say you make a deposit to the RCI program... Those points have a special term:
-- 2 more calendar years for a deposit of current-year or previously deposited HGVC points.
-- 1 more calendar year for a deposit of "saved" points.
In the year they're due to expire, you can extend their life for another year...

Per the Rules --
"On or before December 31 of the current year, points previously deposited with RCI scheduled to expire at the end of the current year, may be extended for one additional year for exchange reservations in the following year for a fee."

They kind'a just quietly slipped that one in.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks all for confirming the rules. I was mostly trying to decide if there was any reason for me to deposit the surplus points. It does not seem like there is at this time. It still possible i may still use them in 2017. While i can still do that if i deposit them, i would have had to pay to deposit them. Might at well just leave them in 2017 and rescue/save at the end of the year if needed.

Its been a while since i deposited points, but i don't remember the website showing the regular points and the deposited points in separate buckets like they do for rescued points.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
You are correct. HGVC allows members to stretch points out two years. However, it takes some planning.

In your situation, before 12/31/2016 you could "deposit" 2017 points into 2018. Then in 2018, you could "save" those same points into 2019. Thus, stretching your 2017 club points out for two years.

This only works for club points and not bonus points.

If you're not sure, contact a club counselor and they can walk you through it.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
From HGVC Club Rules:

Deposited points may not be used to make a Home Week reservation and may not be carried over beyond one (1) year.

It's a little vague on how it would apply to your situation. It reads like you can save your deposited points. Perhaps a member with actual experience can clarify.

Yes, it a little vague because "depositing" and "saving" are two different events. People tend to combine the terminology. Page 5 and 6 in the club rules describes each event separately but it's still a little confusing because it's not clearly explained on how to leverage both, deposit and save.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct. HGVC allows members to stretch points out two years. However, it takes some planning.

In your situation, before 12/31/2016 you could "deposit" 2017 points into 2018. Then in 2018, you could "save" those same points into 2019. Thus, stretching your 2017 club points out for two years.

I interpreted the rules the way you're describing it, but have never done it so could not speak with certainty. However, the method you're describing has been refuted by post#3 by @alwysonvac and post #4 by @Talent312 up thread.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I knew the difference between depositing points and rescuing(saving) points, however, I didn't realize you could deposit one year and then rescue those points the next year extending them for two more year. I thought that once you deposited points they had to be used in the next year.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Ok, this is pretty much what i was originally thinking, and potentially provides an extra year of use.. With the above example, if i deposit the 2017 points into 2018: You could borrow them back into 2017, use them in 2018 or save them into 2019. Of course you would have fees for both the deposit and save transactions.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
When you deposit your 2017 points into 2018, they can be used in 2017 or 2018 (this is the two year period).
As Talent312 stated once points are deposited the only way to extend is via RCI (see Club Rules below)

Per the 2016 Club Rules - http://www.hgvclubprogram.com/content/1Rules-ENG-Rev062716.pdf
Club Deposit. On or before December 31 of the current year, Members may deposit any or all of their next year’s allotment of ClubPoints into the following year’s account (a “Club Deposit”). For example, prior to December 31, 2016, Members may deposit their 2017 allotment of ClubPoints into 2018. Deposited points may not be used to make a Home Week reservation and may not be carried over beyond one (1) year. A Deposit Fee applies. Additional stretching options for current year ClubPoints may be offered.

RCI Deposit. Members may deposit current year ClubPoints or previously deposited ClubPoints into the RCI Exchange Program for future weekly and nightly RCI exchange reservations. RCI deposits are valid from the date of deposit through an additional two calendar years.

Last edited:

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Alwysonvac,
Thanks for posting the link to the club rules. Again, page 5 and 6 describe how HGVC memebers can stretch club points out for two years. I understand your confusion on how the two events are not described together. Deposit and Save.

I was in a similar position as the OP back in 2012. I called a club counselor and he walked me through on how to stretch points out to two years.

Feel free to call HGVC to confirm, if you have questions.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Alwysonvac,
Thanks for posting the link to the club rules. Again, page 5 and 6 describe how HGVC memebers can stretch club points out for two years. I understand your confusion on how the two events are not described together. Deposit and Save.

I was in a similar position as the OP back in 2012. I called a club counselor and he walked me through on how to stretch points out to two years.

Feel free to call HGVC to confirm, if you have questions.

I'm normally in a borrowing state. I rarely deposit or save points since borrowing is free. I'm currently borrowed out through 2018. ;)

Did you actually execute a deposit followed by a save (aka rescue)?

That's not how it was rolled out back in 2006. As previously stated in this thread, first we had the deposit option and later on HGVC introduced the Rescue (aka Saved) option. See this old 2006 thread regarding the rules (posts #9 & #11) - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-2007-member-guide.37084/ .
NOTE: In 2012, HGVC added the option to allow unused rescue points to be deposited into RCI - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/remaining-rescued-pts-can-be-saved.159769/

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was in a similar position as the OP back in 2012. I called a club counselor and he walked me through on how to stretch points out to two years...

I admit that I am not 100% positive about not being able to "save" points that were previously "deposited."
"Saving" was designed for current-year points, but if they let you get away with it, who am I to argue w-success.

But I fail to see why one would want to bank previously banked points. It would mean that you hadn't reached into current-year points, so they'd also need to be banked. Say you deposit 2017 points into 2018, and then want to "save" some of those "deposited" points... It means that you hadn't yet used any of your 2018 allotment and would need to bank those too. You'd set yourself up for a third set of fees -- 2x fee for the 2017 points and 1x fee for the 2018 points.

It's not like these points earn interest -- they cost you. IMHO, the better practice would be to step up your travel-game.
Heck, I just made an RCI booking for next year which used up my 2016 points, just so I wouldn't have to pay to save.

Last edited:

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
I became a member in 2010 and learned about making a deposit followed by a rescue/save in 2012. I'm not familiar with what was in place prior.

Borrowing is the preferred option. However, for those members that don't have a lot of points and would like to take big vacation, stretching points out 2 years is another option.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Well, I found an old 2013 post by Tug Member Blues where he stated that he used to deposit and rescue allowing him to use points over three years.
Here's what he wrote. I guess if you need the option it doesn't hurt to try.

From August 2013 - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/depositing-vs-rescuing.197706/ (post #22)
In the olden days it was possible to deposit points one year, and then if unused, rescue them after the deposit year, thus getting 3 years of opportunity to use those points (at a cost of two fees). E.g., deposit 2012 points into 2013, then rescue them into 2014. I know, because I did that some years ago. It is my understanding that that "trick" was disallowed several years ago.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I will admit that I am not 100% positive about not being able to "save" points that were previously "deposited."
"Saving" was clearly designed for current-year points, but if they let you get away with it, I won't argue w-success.

But I also fail to see why one would want to bank previously banked points. It's mean that you hadn't used any current-year points and they'd also need to be banked. Say you deposit 2017 points into 2018, and then want to "save" some of those "deposited" points... It'd mean that you hadn't reached your 2018 allotment and would need to bank those too. You'd set yourself up for a third set of fees -- 2x fee for the 2017 points and 1x fee for the 2018 points.

It's not like these points earn interest -- they cost you. IMHO, the better practice would be to step up your travel-game.
Heck, I just made an RCI booking for next year which used up my 2016 points, just so I wouldn't have to pay to save.

First of all the HGVC rule for Rescued states:
"On or before December 31 of the current year, Members may “save” any of the remaining ClubPoints from expiring by depositing their ClubPoints into the following year’s account for reservations at Club Resorts during the Home Resort and Club reservation windows or for RCI weekly or nightly reservations for travel in the following year only." It says "any of the remaining ClubPoints" not one word about current year club points and or negating DEPOSITED POINTS.

Furthermore, the reason I may want to rescue deposited points is that with 34,600 points, over a million HHonors Points, and possible open season reservations I make, change and maybe cancel reservations throughout the year to get what I consider the best value and vacations for my vacation dollar and points. I never have more than one years worth of points left over at the end of a year. However, at times I may cancel or change a reservation which leave unused points that may have been deposited from the previous year. They may be then left over at the end of the year and I would want to rescue them to the following year.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
First of all the HGVC rule for Rescued states:
"On or before December 31 of the current year, Members may “save” any of the remaining ClubPoints from expiring by depositing their ClubPoints into the following year’s account for reservations at Club Resorts during the Home Resort and Club reservation windows or for RCI weekly or nightly reservations for travel in the following year only." It says "any of the remaining ClubPoints" not one word about current year club points and or negating DEPOSITED POINTS.

Yeah they could have done a better job with the description in the Club Rules however every year the HGVC Club Member guides (the old hard copy versions, the replacement PDF versions and now the current online club member guide) had a Club Stretching Page which specifically stated which year's points were eligible for deposits and saving (aka rescuing). And for rescuing it always stated the current year's points (see examples below).

From the 2016 Club Member Guide
- http://www.hgvclubprogram.com/club-features/our-currency/
You may deposit your 2016 or 2017 ClubPoints between January 1 and December 31, 2016 as described below:

Deposit any or all of your 2017 ClubPoints into the following year’s account for travel through December 31, 2017 for Home Resort reservations, Club reservations, or ClubPartner Perks.

Save any or all of your 2016 ClubPoints. Saved ClubPoints are valid for reservations at Club Resorts during the Home Resort reservation and Club reservation windows from the date of rescue through December 31, 2017. Saved ClubPoints may also be used for RCI exchange reservations from the date of saves through December 31, 2017.

Deposit any or all of your 2016 ClubPoints with RCI. Such deposits are valid for RCI weekly and nightly exchange reservations from the date of deposit through an additional two calendar years.

From page 23 of the old 2011 Club Member Guide
- https://web.archive.org/web/2012041...m/mg/images/member_guide_2011/eng/pdf/ios.pdf
DEPOSIT
You may deposit any or all of your 2011 or 2012 ClubPoints between January 1 and December 31, 2011 as described below:

Deposit 2012 ClubPoints into the following year's account for travel through December 31, 2013 for Home Resort reservations, Club reservations, or ClubPartner Perks.

Rescue any or all of your 2011 ClubPoints. Rescued ClubPoints are valid for reservations at Club Resorts during the Home Resort reservation and Club reservation windows from the date of rescue through December 31, 2012 Rescued ClubPoints may also be used for RCI exchange reservations from the date of rescue through December 31, 2012

Deposit 2011 ClubPoints with RCI. Such deposits are valid for RCI weekly and nightly exchange reservations from the date of deposit through an additional two calendar years

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Hey ill try it. With using marriott timeshares way more often than hgvc i now have a surplus of hgvc points. I will deposit my 2017 points into 2018 and try to save them in 2019. Won't be able to report back till jan of 2017 though. I would love the option to deposit and then be able to save. Most times with moving reservations then adding a day or subtracting i have some points left. So will report back in a year if this works.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Yeah they could have done a better job with the description in the Club Rules however every year the HGVC Club Member guides (the old hard copy versions, the replacement PDF versions and now the current online club member guide) had a Club Stretching Page... which specifically stated which year's points were eligible for deposits and saving (aka rescuing). And for rescuing it always stated the current year's points...

Ah, the ol' Guide... I haven't bothered to look at it for a few years.
It may depend on how well their IT peep designed the point-stretching system.
From time to time, posters report they were able to convince them of something.
But when the time comes, if it doesn't work, there's the RCI alternative, anyway.

CiCi

Reaction score
Question for the group:

If I want to take all of my points from 2017 and combine them with 2018 points for a vacation at a HGVC property in 2018, should I be "depositing" them into 2018 by the end of the day today, 12/31?

What happens if I don't do this today? Will I be able save them at some point next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If I want to save all of my points from 2017 and combine them with 2018 points for a vacation at a HGVC property in 2018, should I be depositing them into 2018 by the end of the day today, 12/31?

What happens if I don't do this today? Will I be able save them at some point next year?

IMHO, I'd try to "deposit" the 2017 points into 2018 today. "Deposited" points retain the same status as current-year points (but cannot be used for home-week bookings). BTW, the option to "deposit" is gone from the new 2017 rule-book.

If you wait until 1/1/17, you can then "save" them for a stay in 2018 and use them either for a club or RCI booking. You need to save them b4 you make your 2018 booking -- the system won't recognize a later "save."

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW, the option to "deposit" is gone from the new 2017 rule-book.

Interesting, will have to check and see if they actually removed the functionality from the website after this weekends upgrade.

I think i have used the deposit feature more times than i have saved, so i would miss that. But i can also see where they might try and simplify things. The two feature have almost the same effect, and they generate multiple questions on Facebook and here on TUG.