• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around this to justify the cost of enrolling. $50K just seems outrageous to pay for "flexibility". I don't know, maybe I'm missing something ??? I would be at Chairman level if I did but I am having trouble quantifying what I really gain ??

A portfolio of mostly yet to be constructed 'DC trust-only' properties where the only other way in is if a points owner makes a reservation and deposits it through Interval? The most current examples I can think of are the Mayflower and Surfers Paradise. Not sure how else a non-points owner can get into those locations.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around this to justify the cost of enrolling. $50K just seems outrageous to pay for "flexibility". I don't know, maybe I'm missing something ??? I would be at Chairman level if I did but I am having trouble quantifying what I really gain ??

We recently went through the owners update and discussed the possibility of enrolling our 7 post 2010 weeks. We decided not to purchase any additional points and enroll our weeks largely because I don't have $50,000+ lying around right now and we are happy with our portfolio and can largely accomplish what we want to do.

Normally I would never advocate buying direct, however I could see where this could be a good opportunity for the right person where they were wanting to leverage their existing weeks into points access, they had relatively high value post 2010 weeks, and finances were not an issue. In our situation we would have enrolled 7 weeks with a total point value of 29,650 (with an additional 5,500 points giving us a total of 35,150). Even factoring in our initial acquisition costs for these weeks (which were all resale), the overall average cost per point and points to maintenance fee ratio would make this an attractive offer to many folks that might be in a similar situation.

Last edited:

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Thanks Greg for sharing this - the future of MVCI and/or vision is for all owners to participate in the destination points program. So, by allowing them to bring their weeks within the new program with a purchase of points is a great idea to "cost average" their ownership and to begin to receive all the benefits of the higher tier levels, executive, presidential and chairman's club. Yes, I do work for the company.

All,

This may have already been posted, in which case I missed it. The offer to enroll post June 2010 weeks is back again, and the information that was emailed to me is below.

We may see this periodically, which makes sense to me as it stimulates Trust Point sales and allows the purchaser to cost-average the points in a way that is mutually beneficial to Marriott and to the purchaser. Any week that is being enrolled is probably a desirable week that Marriott doesn't mind having available to the Exchange Pool.

Interesting to see.

Best,

Greg

----------------------

3000 Destinations Trust Points enrolls any 1 week (or 2 bi-annual weeks)
4000 Destinations Trust Points enrolls any 2 weeks (or up to 4 bi-annual weeks)
5500 Destinations Trust Points enrolls any 3-7 weeks (or up to 14 bi-annual weeks)

Weeks enrolled during this promotion will be eligible for Marriott Rewards option, Marriott Vacation points exchange, and will count towards ownership status levels (Executive, Presidential, Chairmans Club).

3000 Destination Points
Current Price: $39,120 ($13.04/pt)
Mail-out Purchase Incentive
1) $5880 discount (11.08/pt) AND 3000 bonus Club PlusPoints or 250,000 REWARDS – brings price down to $33,240

4000 Destination Points
Current Price: $52,160 ($13.04/pt)
Mail-out Purchase Incentive:
1) $10,480 discount (10.43/pt) AND 4000 bonus Club PlusPoints or 350,000 REWARDS – brings price down to $41,680

5500 Destination Points
Current Price: $71,720 ($13.04/pt)
Mail-out Purchase Incentive:
1) $14,410 discount (10.43/pt) AND 5500 bonus Club PlusPoints or 450,000 REWARDS – brings price down to $57,310

This pricing is good through next Wednesday, July 14 - there is a price increase on July 15. Promotion lasts through September 7, 2016.

Weeks purchased between June 2010 and closed by June 2016.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Normally I would never advocate buying direct, however I could see where this could be a good opportunity for the right person where they were wanting to leverage their existing weeks into points access, they had relatively high value post 2010 weeks, and finances were not an issue. In our situation we would have enrolled 7 weeks with a total point value of 29,650 (with an additional 5,500 points giving us a total of 35,150). Even factoring in our initial acquisition costs for these weeks (which were all resale), the overall average cost per point would make this an attractive offer to many folks that might be in a similar situation.

This is exactly why I bought 5,000 points in the initial offering last year. The existing weeks I had were weeks that I intend to hang onto and had good points to maintenance fee ratio.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is exactly why I bought 5,000 points in the initial offering last year. The existing weeks I had were weeks that I intend to hang onto and had good points to maintenance fee ratio.

Hopefully you received a strong allocation of DC points for those weeks as part of enrolling them with your 5,000 point purchase (or did you not enroll your weeks and just bought points)?

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you received a strong allocation of DC points for those weeks as part of enrolling them with your 5,000 point purchase (or did you not enroll the and just bought points)?

Yes, wouldn't have bought points directly from Marriott if enrollment wasn't part of it.

I enrolled 7 weeks and with the 5,000 points purchase total annual points is 29,825 and my maintenance fee ratio is .440. I bought all my weeks resale, thanks to tug :banana: and even including the cost to buy those weeks, total price per points is a little under $4.00

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
A portfolio of mostly yet to be constructed 'DC trust-only' properties where the only other way in is if a points owner makes a reservation and deposits it through Interval? The most current examples I can think of are the Mayflower and Surfers Paradise. Not sure how else a non-points owner can get into those locations.

I'm not sure that would be enough to entice me. While,I would be interested in possibly exploring those locations, it's hard to justify for $50K more for that option.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
We recently went through the owners update and discussed the possibility of enrolling our 7 post 2010 weeks. We decided not to purchase any additional points and enroll our weeks largely because I don't have $50,000+ lying around right now and we are happy with our portfolio and can largely accomplish what we want to do.

Normally I would never advocate buying direct, however I could see where this could be a good opportunity for the right person where they were wanting to leverage their existing weeks into points access, they had relatively high value post 2010 weeks, and finances were not an issue. In our situation we would have enrolled 7 weeks with a total point value of 29,650 (with an additional 5,500 points giving us a total of 35,150). Even factoring in our initial acquisition costs for these weeks (which were all resale), the overall average cost per point and points to maintenance fee ratio would make this an attractive offer to many folks that might be in a similar situation.

That's kind of my thoughts as well. I currently have too many weeks - way more than I can use. I have 3 resale Ko Olina Holiday weeks - 1 MV and 2 OV. I don't know what the exact point allocation is but I estimated it should be around 14-15K as I don't know if weeks 51/52 get extra points. I could enroll 4 WR units which would give me an additional 7400. Add in 5500 points would be just under 28K points. My current MF are about $10,700 for those weeks plus another maybe $2700 for the points.

If I was going to convert my weeks to points to use I'm not sure it's a great deal with the skim and my low value WR weeks. I'm thinking I would get greater value trading those 4 WR for potentially 8 weeks with locking off than getting 7400 points. I'm not too sure about trading my Ko Olina weeks for points as I can rent them out for 4500-5500 for Christmas and New Years weeks. So I'm left with the 5500 points which would give me the equivalent of one of my Ko Olina holiday weeks if I wanted to book. I paid $50K for the 3 Ko Olina weeks vs paying another $50K for equivalent of 1 week in 5500 points.

That's where I having trouble figuring out how I come out ahead as I'm not sure if I did enroll if I would ever really get value out of it ???? Maybe if I had different weeks ?

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many dc points will 2 bedroom platinum grand vista generate? Thanks

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, wouldn't have bought points directly from Marriott if enrollment wasn't part of it.

I enrolled 7 weeks and with the 5,000 points purchase total annual points is 29,825 and my maintenance fee ratio is .440. I bought all my weeks resale, thanks to tug :banana: and even including the cost to buy those weeks, total price per points is a little under $4.00

That's great. I should calculate my total cost for my resale weeks (but I'm sure my P3 will be higher than yours). Well done. :cool:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
How many dc points will 2 bedroom platinum grand vista generate? Thanks

StevenTing keeps a link to THIS database in the signature line of his posts. Its likely the most up to date place to find this info. Look at the DC Conversion column for your specific resort, season, view and villa size to find the allocation.

[ETA] Looks like kds4 beat me to it!!!

Last edited:

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Just don't get it

I just don't get it. Why are points of any value to people? I own 2, 2 bedroom lock offs which gets me 4 weeks a year. If they qualified for points my 4 weeks could trade into say MOC for ONE week. Where is the value?

I have traded to all the Marriott Hawaii properties, usually to a larger unit.

Currently we are at the Aruba Ocean Club next week the Surf Club. Traded 1 week for 2 weeks. We have a 1 bed this week and a 2 bedroom next. Yes I paid for E plus and yes I paid a retrade fee due to last minute addition of kids but I still paid less than an owner here or a points owner.

I just don't get the points thing being of any value. I like paying less for more not more for less!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I just don't get it. Why are points of any value to people? I own 2, 2 bedroom lock offs which gets me 4 weeks a year. If they qualified for points my 4 weeks could trade into say MOC for ONE week. Where is the value?

Currently we are at the Aruba Ocean Club next week the Surf Club. Traded 1 week for 2 weeks. We have a 1 bed this week and a 2 bedroom next. Yes I paid for E plus and yes I paid a retrade fee due to last minute addition of kids but I still paid less than an owner here or a points owner.

I just don't get the points thing being of any value. I like paying less for more not more for less!

If you owned Weeks which gave you less trade value in II then you'd understand it. While you own lock-offs that give you 2-for-1 on a routine basis, some of us own non-lockoff 3BR units that consistently return only 2BR exchanges in II, and the bonuses that might make up for that discrepancy are hit-or-miss because II doesn't offer them consistently. Within the Marriott system some enrolled 3BR Weeks exchange for a good amount of DC Points, in my case returning more value than I'd ever gotten from II.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

It depends on what you want to do. I've posted this in other threads previously, but with points we've been able to book the following for 2016-2017 using banked 2015 points and 2016 points (part of the points come from an enrolled off-season week):

- Four nights in May for my wife and a friend in a 2BR at Grand Chateau in Vegas
- Three nights later this month in DC at the Mayflower for my wife and daughter
- Three nights coming up over Labor Day weekend at Barony in Hilton Head
- A full week in a 2BR OF at Barony in Hilton Head next April for the Heritage PGA tournament

There's no way we could have done that with just weeks. And in each case, we just went online and booked the stay like a hotel room. No waiting around for an II match. Also with points, we can guarantee the view category by reserving the category we want.

We don't like being tied to seven night stays - with points we can go for five nights, three nights, eight nights, ten nights, etc. While we haven't done it yet, our meager points balance could get us up to about 25 fall/spring nights a year in the non-beachfront resorts in Hilton Head. And if we need more points in a given year, we can go on vacationpointexchange.com and get the points we need at about $0.50 per point. Once we acquire the points, they are ours and we can make our own reservation just as if we owned the points.

While we are trying a weeks-based II trade for fall 2017 with our enrolled week, points generally suit our travel style better that weeks. While I don't mind waiting out a trade request once in a while, I can't imagine waiting out trade requests for every trip. Points just seem to work better for us. Sometimes it's not always about getting the cheapest deal. We pay a little more for points, but we think we get more overall value for the money.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Jim, very well described. We have realized most of those same benefits of using points vs. weeks as well. In fact, the availability of what we want using points has improved over the past couple of years as more owners have opted to convert their weeks to points.
We went to the new Pulse, South Beach, using points for 4 nights in April.
Two weeks ago, we booked a 2 bedroom at the Aruba Surf Club, using points, over July 4th week next year (2017). This trade may have been fulfilled with an II request, but we might have had to wait months to get it. In this way, we can now check airfares for the dates we are reserved for.

We have also used points to book the Marriott Owners Cruise for this November on the new Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas.

It seems as though the new options that Marriott is rolling out (renting houses, expanded explorer collection, tours etc.) will mostly require using points. As you and others have said, booking weeks at great MVC resorts will still work through trading with II and within Marriott, but there just are more options to consider using points for the same dollar value as our weeks.

:whoopie:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks.
I think it is actually positive that some owners prefer points and some weeks, it does depend on what you own and how you are able to use this.
I have used and benefited from both, although I still mostly use Interval.
I would favour points if I could consistently get instant confirmations, but when I have to go on a wait list I don't really have any benefit over using Interval, especially as a multiple lock off week owner.
All of my weeks have a high points allocation (except St Kitts sadly), so although I probably expect to use points more in the future as long as Interval continue to deliver for me I will primarily use them.
The benefit of short stays would be attractive to me too, if I had a wider choice of resorts in Europe but as I don't I will probably continue choosing 7 night (or more likely multiple 7 night stays)

It depends on what you want to do. I've posted this in other threads previously, but with points we've been able to book the following for 2016-2017 using banked 2015 points and 2016 points (part of the points come from an enrolled off-season week):

- Four nights in May for my wife and a friend in a 2BR at Grand Chateau in Vegas
- Three nights later this month in DC at the Mayflower for my wife and daughter
- Three nights coming up over Labor Day weekend at Barony in Hilton Head
- A full week in a 2BR OF at Barony in Hilton Head next April for the Heritage PGA tournament

There's no way we could have done that with just weeks. And in each case, we just went online and booked the stay like a hotel room. No waiting around for an II match. Also with points, we can guarantee the view category by reserving the category we want.

We don't like being tied to seven night stays - with points we can go for five nights, three nights, eight nights, ten nights, etc. While we haven't done it yet, our meager points balance could get us up to about 25 fall/spring nights a year in the non-beachfront resorts in Hilton Head. And if we need more points in a given year, we can go on vacationpointexchange.com and get the points we need at about $0.50 per point. Once we acquire the points, they are ours and we can make our own reservation just as if we owned the points.

While we are trying a weeks-based II trade for fall 2017 with our enrolled week, points generally suit our travel style better that weeks. While I don't mind waiting out a trade request once in a while, I can't imagine waiting out trade requests for every trip. Points just seem to work better for us. Sometimes it's not always about getting the cheapest deal. We pay a little more for points, but we think we get more overall value for the money.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Custom House and another EOY Grand Chateau ineligible for enrolling. They worth 4000+ points after enrollment. If I could enroll them by purchasing 4000pts at $40,000+, I would do so. But after it is closed, I will sell the trust points at half price and take loss. At the end, the cost of enroll those two weeks would be $20,000.
:ponder: this might be a stupid thought.

I think resale price of points is a lot less than half of purchase price.

I understand what you are thinking though.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Just got an email confirming from Marriott. 5,000 points @ $10.76 each($53,800) covers 3-7 weeks conversion. 5,500 DP's or 400,000 MRP's as incentive. I am looking at activating 7 weeks totaling 27,650 point value.

Just curious are they willing to send you a purchase agreement with this offer. [Off-topic comments moved.]

Last edited by a moderator:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just curious are they willing to send you a purchase agreement with this offer. [Off-topic comments moved.]

Note you are responding to a post that's almost a year old. Many people have taken advantage of this DC Points Sales Incentive (to enroll post-6/20/10 Weeks with a DC Points purchase) and all of them have received email/onsite paperwork that guarantees the terms prior to signing. None of them, as far as I can remember, have included a guarantee of terms outside the scope of the incentive.

I am moving your off-topic remarks regarding your Encore presentation request to the thread in which you first brought up the subject, here.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Current ROFR on MVC points (resale) is somewhere in the range of $4.50 to $5.00 based on survey and anecdotal evidence.

I'm not sure what the average purchase price of points is directed from Marriott, but I'm pretty sure that most people don't pay 'full' price after the details and benefits of the sales package are totaled up.

Of course, you do have expenses on the buying and selling end of the transactions.

cheers.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Question. Friends of ours bought a resale EOY Ko Olina in May of 2011.

Is the only program to enroll in DC the one in which they buy more points?

Thanks, John

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Note you are responding to a post that's almost a year old. Many people have taken advantage of this DC Points Sales Incentive (to enroll post-6/20/10 Weeks with a DC Points purchase) and all of them have received email/onsite paperwork that guarantees the terms prior to signing. None of them, as far as I can remember, have included a guarantee of terms outside the scope of the incentive.

I am moving your off-topic remarks regarding your Encore presentation request to the thread in which you first brought up the subject, here.

better late than never....only joking.. not sure how I got that far back in the thread without noticing.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In looking through this thread I noticed that the terms of the most-recent sales incentive hadn't been posted. But a search pulled up another thread which I've now merged into this one. See GregT's post #330 for details of the current active incentive.

Can anyone verify the exact cut-off date for the post-6/20/10 resales that are eligible? Greg's post says only, "closed by June 2016."

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Question. Friends of ours bought a resale EOY Ko Olina in May of 2011.

Is the only program to enroll in DC the one in which they buy more points?

Thanks, John

Yes, and MVW tweaks the requirements each time they open up this offer. The latest terms are in Post #330.