• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Zion National Park

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Planning for late May or early June 09. Is St. George timeshares the closest? Only a few RCI resorts there - with the Worldmark probably the best. Would like to hear any comments on experiences with trading to the area - I do own some great traders with summer Hilton Head weeks.

Also, is there plenty to do in the direct area of the St. George resorts without driving an hour or two to Zion and Byrce NPs?

What airport is the closest?

Any suggestions for a second week in the area? BTW, is there a houseboat timeshare in the area - I thought so in the old days - but could not find it online?

Thanks,

Joyce

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hi Joyce,

St. George is about 90 mins by car from Las Vegas. That's the closest airport of any size. It's an easy drive up I-15.

Depending on what you want to do with your time, St. George area offers a lot to see and do, but Zion is probably the greatest draw. You can spend a lot of time there, if you want to get out of your car and really see things. If all you want to do is drive through, it's a day trip. Spend the night at a motel one night, and you can see Bryce Canyon, too.

Springdale is the town right outside Zion park, and the road leads through several smaller towns on the way back to St. George, like Hurricane, that have basic shopping and such. Some nice art galleries, if that sort of thing appeals to you. Nothing I'd say was unique to the area, besides some original art or crafts here and there.

A great day trip from St. George would be down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You'd have to plan your time carefully, but it can be done. Well worth seeing, if you've never been there. The North Rim is higher and has better views of the Canyon than the South Rim, but it gets only about two-thirds as many visitors. Makes for a unique experience.

There is plenty to do otherwise - including some world-class golfing, if that appeals to you.

Lake Mead has houseboating. That's closer to Las Vegas. If you're thinking about houseboating in Utah on Lake Powell, it's across the state from St. George, too far to do a day trip. Check carefully before scheduling a houseboat trip on Lake Powell - lowered water levels in the lake have really messed up the houseboat experience. My friends and I have done it seven times, but won't go back till they sort out what's happening with the lake.

Dave

Last edited:

Arkansas Winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just did that trip a few weeks ago

Stayed in Mesquite in Master Villas at Paradise Canyon which is about 30 miles from St. George. Master Villas is a great place to stay, I believe they are all 2 BR and they trade through II and Trading Places Maui generally has several available, I have also seen availabilty at TPI.

While there we did day trips to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon and Hoover Dam.

All were great to visit. We did enjoy Bryce Canyon more than Zion. However, I wouldn't want to choose leaving any of the visits out as they were all very enjoyable.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kolob Canyon is also part of Zion National Park and is accessed via I-15 north of St. George. I think many people going to the "main" part of the park do not know about this slot canyon. If you are going to travel north, consider mountain biking at Brian Head or visiting Cedar Breaks. If you were going later in the season I would also recommend live theater at Tuacahn in St. George or the Shakespearean Festival in Cedar City.

Unless you are physically impaired, I think it very sad to simply drive through the national parks. If you are able, take some of the trails so you can get a better experience than just riding the bus up and down the canyon. (You cannot drive your own car into the main part of Zion NP--although there are some parts you can drive through if you are traveling to Bryce for example.) If you are up to the challenge, try hiking to the top of Angel Landing. If you plan to eat in the main dining room at Zion's make sure you have reservations which can be made via the NP website.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's just dumb old scenery...

My mother's interpretation of Oak Creek Canyon got us a prize with Arizona Highways.
For the first time visitor, you must spend at least 2 days at each park. I would suggest skipping the Grand Canyon North Rim for a furture trip. We spent a week at Brice and a week of Zion. We did short hikes and saved the longer ones for later trips. We are due back to Zion, one of my favorite places. The initial trip is to obtain information, talk to the prak rangers and get a feel of those beautiful parks. There is a lodge at Zion where we stay. Our first trip, was a timeshare stay at a place that has now gone under (a converted Motel 6). It actually worked for us, but I rated it as a 2 with RCI. Unless you are a Fairfield owner, chances of exchanging is difficult. If you do not plan to return for several years (or maybe never) then stay at each park as long as you can, take plenty of pictures, pick up brochures and talk to the rangers.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Thanks, everyone for the information. I must admit that staying in the parks is the way to go. That is the disadvantage to timesharing - all the long day tripping sometimes gets very tiring.

We just got back from a month trip to Australia and did not use timeshares due to short planning time. While we were on the road trip part of the journey - it was convenient to just stay somewhere for one or two nights are we travelled along our route. But of course, now I have to pay for those single nights.

Joyce