• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Zion National park, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone traveled this triangle. Stayed at timeshares that made this workable. I would have access to II and RCI. Any opinions on this trip planned for late June or July of 2013. I know Las Vegas will be hot.
Thanks.

Gr

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Zion National Park is only about 45 minutes outside of St. George, Utah. It's an easy drive, and St. George makes a good base camp for day trips into Zion. Any timeshare in St. George that suits you would be fine for that.

Las Vegas is only about two hours south of St. George, an easy drive down Interstate 15.

The Grand Canyon is a different matter. There is a North Rim and South Rim that many people visit. As far as I know, there are no timeshares convenient to the North Rim. But it is only a few hours from the East entrance to Zion National Park. So you technically "could" stay in St. George, and visit the North Rim, if you wanted to. Maybe do an overnight in a motel or the North Rim lodge inside the park, then head back to St. George the next day.

At the South Rim, you're not all that far from either Sedona or Flagstaff. Both cities have lots of timeshare choices. You could take your pick, and make trips to one of the South Rim entrances.

Driving to/from Las Vegas and the South Rim will be the longest part of that trip.

Others will certainly have other ideas, but this should help get you thinking about it. It's a great area to visit, and you'll be certain to enjoy yourself.

Have fun!
Dave

Has anyone traveled this triangle. Stayed at timeshares that made this workable. I would have access to II and RCI. Any opinions on this trip planned for late June or July of 2013. I know Las Vegas will be hot.
Thanks.

Gr

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made that exact trip several years ago. When I rented the car I was told not many went that way this time of year. I asked why not and he didn't know. Guess I should have gotten suspicious and checked further. It was a beautiful trip but as I headed to the North Rim I found out why. Still, while we had to skip the North Rim and it took a bit longer than planned, we made it to the South Rim that night. Had to wait for the fog to burn off the next morning and we had no idea how long it was going to take to cross Hoover Dam (guess that's no longer a problem) but we made it back. Summer should be MUCH better! ;)

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone traveled this triangle. Stayed at timeshares that made this workable.

I did a similar trip several years ago. Flew into Las Vegas and drove from there to St. George, Utah where we stayed at Worldmark St. George.

St. George is about 45 minutes from Zion National Park, making it a comfortable day trip. It took us two days to see everything we wanted.

Bryce National Park and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon are both about 3 hours away. We spent one night in park lodges at each of those. While it would be possible to make a day trip to the North Rim from St. George during the long daylight summer season, I wouldn't recommend it unless you just want a quick look. As for Bryce, the best views are at sunrise and sunset.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to the North Rim while we were staying in St George. It was an easy day trip. Very nice and enough time to explore. We stopped for breakfast at the Jacob Lake Inn. We went to the South Rim while we were staying in Flagstaff, an easy daytrip as well after a nice tacoburger at the Cameron Trading Post. We planned the North and South Rim it in one week so we could use one entrance fee for the Grand Canyon. I must admit we have been to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon before so we were familiar with the area. Zion is within a very easy reach of St George. We went there twice from St George. We did Bryce twice when we stayed in Brian Head.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Id
I made that exact trip several years ago. When I rented the car I was told not many went that way this time of year. I asked why not and he didn't know. Guess I should have gotten suspicious and checked further. It was a beautiful trip but as I headed to the North Rim I found out why. Still, while we had to skip the North Rim and it took a bit longer than planned, we made it to the South Rim that night. Had to wait for the fog to burn off the next morning and we had no idea how long it was going to take to cross Hoover Dam (guess that's no longer a problem) but we made it back. Summer should be MUCH better! ;)
so, what was the reason why most do not do this in june/july?

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Idso, what was the reason why most do not do this in june/july?

No idea what season was meant. We have been in that area twice, always in October and beginning of November. Never a problem with weather. Very sunny at the Grand Canyon and in Zion and not too crowded.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have caught that. It was the rental guy who said not many people go to the north rim 'this time of year'. He didn't know why when I asked him but it happened to be late October and it is/was closed from mid October until mid May, as we found out from the sign on the locked gate blocking the snow-covered road leading to the north rim from 89ALT. Somehow I deleted that fact as I attempted to shorten my story before posting. At least I did say it should be MUCH better in the summer. Hope you enjoy your journey!

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went there over the years twice - after the North Rim lodge was closed - in the second half of October and we did have lovely sunny weather. No jackets needed! And to the South Rim it was even warmer, already beginning of November but sunny. But maybe we were just lucky. You can never tell. We liked it because the Grand Canyon is always crowded, so we liked it when it was not extremely crowded!

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did that trip years ago during Oct and it was beautiful. I have researched doing it again, but no timeshares worth getting into around Zion, or Grand Canyon. That is a lot of driving and time on the road. If you get a timeshare anywhere around that route, it will add a lot of time to the trip. It is best to stay in hotels, see the parks and country along the way and keep moving. Maybe enjoy some R and R down in Sedona after the Grand Canyon, or go back to Vegas.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I stayed at the North Rim a number of years ago, and was asked to vacate the park on October 15th because they were closing for the year. It was almost like a scene from a movie as a caravan of vehicles left the park. They literally closed the gates after the last car. So that may be why the guy said few people went to the North Rim at this time of year.

Dave

Last edited:

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
We flew into Vegas in July a few years back, drove down to Hoover Dam for a short visit, then up to St. George for a stay at the Villas at Southgate. We drove down to the North Rim, (had done the South Rim previously from Sedona). It was about 2 1/2 - 3 hours as I recall, but we got a really early start, and stopped for breakfast just before the Canyon. (Jacob Lake Inn - I think - was wonderful.) As stated above, both Bryce & Zion are very doable from St. George. You're in for a wonderful vacation - I envy you. Oh - and yes it is hot, (Vegas about 20 degrees hotter than Utah), but a comfortable heat - just make sure you take ice water wherever you go. Have a great time!! :wave:

Last edited:

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I'm very glad to see it's a do-able trip. And a good one. I will make my plans. All the suggestions are helpful.

I would like to use 1 or 2 timeshare weeks(probably 1). I'll have to decide where in Arizona to stay the week. Flagstaff, Sedona or even Scottsdale.

Again thanks for all the replies.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I'm very glad to see it's a do-able trip. And a good one. I will make my plans. All the suggestions are helpful.

I would like to use 1 or 2 timeshare weeks(probably 1). I'll have to decide where in Arizona to stay the week. Flagstaff, Sedona or even Scottsdale.

Sedona. No question about that. It beats the other two by far, and a lot of timeshares to pick from. Maybe if you plan to play a lot of golf, go to Scottsdale, but otherwise, Sedona wins.

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score

We did all three. We preferred Flagstaff. I know that many people will say Sedona but we found it so touristy. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful but there are only tourists. Sedona is an easy and wonderful 30 min ride from Flagstaff, so we did visit it again one day when we were in Flagstaff but that was enough. Flagstaff is very handy and easy to get to the South Rim and to Wilson and the Petrified Forest.

Last edited: