• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Zion/Bryce NP from Vegas, Day Trip?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, our out of town guests want to get out and see the country. They wanted Grand Canyon, but I don't want to drive that far.

Any suggestions on a day trip itinerary for Zion and maybe Bryce from Vegas?

I thought we could do Valley of Fire, St George and Zion in a day without too much problem.

Looks like Bryce is quite a bit further.

Any pro's/con's or suggestions?

TIA :)

Oh, BTW, since it's only going to be one person now instead of two, I don't think we will do the Recycled Percussion I asked about earlier. It just didn't seem like the kind of show I could get excited about.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
If you just plan to drive through it all then you can do all three in one day. But if you want to stop and hike and really get to see the beauty then it's probably a bit too tight.

Valley of Fire is gorgeous, particularly when there are flowers. There's lots of hiking if you like that. But just driving thorugh is pretty stunning.

Zion can be very busy some days of the year. So plan ahead for that. It will take some time. And remember that you can't drive through Zion, you have to park and get on the bus. Personally, I would give Zion at least one whole day without any other stops.

Why do you want to go to St George? Anything in particular you want to see or do there?

If you're just looking for quick day trips out to nature near Vegas then I wouldn't drive out as far as St George and Zion. I would go to Red Rock Caynon and Mt. Charlston. Maybe out to Lake Mead or Valley of Fire.

Also - there are helicopter tours to the Grand Canyon. So you don't have to drive if you don't want to. If they've never seen it, it'd be a shame not to go. Maybe suggest they book a helicopter tour for themselves since it sounds like you're not too interested.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
2 summers ago weather delayed our flight and we lost a day of our vaca and had to do Bryce and Zion in the same day.

We went to Bryce first and parked and took the bus. We got off at one stop and hiked for awhile and picked up the bus at the next stop.

We took the bus through Zion and did not take any side trips or hiking. We did stop in a museum in the park for awhile.

We stayed at a motel in St. George where we bought a six pack of "Polygamy Porter-why have just one." It was good beer but I have to admit the label made me buy it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We stayed at a motel in St. George where we bought a six pack of "Polygamy Porter-why have just one." It was good beer but I have to admit the label made me buy it.

"Bring it home to the wives." I got some too, for the same reason. :)

Dave

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
St George, because it's a pretty little city... :)

Not aware we couldn't drive through Zion, that's good to know. :)

Been to both St George and Valley of Fire, just curious about details and so far folks have been helpful....

Polygamy Porter...hmmm maybe they also have a Plural Marriage Pale Ale...:D

(I'd actually like to drive down to Colorado City sometime to see the compounds, but it is kind of far off the beaten path.)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
St George, because it's a pretty little city... :)

Not aware we couldn't drive through Zion, that's good to know. :)

Been to both St George and Valley of Fire, just curious about details and so far folks have been helpful....

Polygamy Porter...hmmm maybe they also have a Plural Marriage Pale Ale...:D

(I'd actually like to drive down to Colorado City sometime to see the compounds, but it is kind of far off the beaten path.)

You can drive through Zion, if you're going all the way through to Carmel Junction on the East side. If you want to go up the canyon toward The Narrows, you need to ride the shuttle. But that's an easy trip. Check with the Park to find out what you can and cannot do.

If you make it to Carmel Junction, eat lunch at The Thunderbird Restaurant, "Home of the Ho Made Pies!" Seriously. The sign says that. :hysterical:

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thunderbird Restaurant. Not a bad place to have lunch. :)

Dave

Attachments

• zion-1869 2.jpg
    zion-1869 2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 36

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can drive through Zion, if you're going all the way through to Carmel Junction on the East side. If you want to go up the canyon toward The Narrows, you need to ride the shuttle. But that's an easy trip. Check with the Park to find out what you can and cannot do.

If you make it to Carmel Junction, eat lunch at The Thunderbird Restaurant, "Home of the Ho Made Pies!" Seriously. The sign says that. :hysterical:

Dave

So as long as I stay on the 9, I can drive through and turn around and drive back? That's really all we need to do for a day trip...

I gotta go, just to go to the Thunderbird! :D

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So as long as I stay on the 9, I can drive through and turn around and drive back? That's really all we need to do for a day trip...

I gotta go, just to go to the Thunderbird! :D

Yes. The highway goes through the Park, and connects to Highway 89 on the east side. Where 9 and 89 meet is Carmel Junction. It's a nice drive, and takes you through the mile long tunnel with the cutout windows every so often, with a view down into Zion Canyon. Depending on traffic, you may have to wait for a guide car to lead a string of vehicles through the tunnel. It's worth it.

Have lunch at one of the restaurants in Carmel Junction (there are several choices), turn around, and drive back through the Park. Your admission fee is good for seven days, so you won't have to pay again. Just save your receipt.

I'd suggest calling the Park ahead of time to make sure things are open (road construction may delay things, or whatever), so you know what to expect.

Have fun!

Dave

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Yeah you can drive through part of Zion but to see many of the famous parts of Zion you have to take the shuttle. And there are often delays or blockages along the drive. If you go through then why not stop at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab? It's in a gorgeous canyon and the tour they give is well worth the time.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
We just did Zion yesterday. We did Bryce the day before.

You still pay park admission, just to drive on 9 though Zion, so you might as well get out an walk and visit a bit. One of the easier but nice trails is the riverside trail, on the last stop of the shuttle bus. Bus runs frequently, so it is not an issue. But just driving and not getting out is really a shame.

I would say that Zion is easier, Bryce is another hours plus past Zion. Makes for a long drive from Vegas. I would consider 1 day 1 park and overnight for 1 night in Springdale or in Bryce Canyon City.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zions is beautiful and the bus part is a good idea for that park. I would still get off on a few of the stops.

Bryce Canyon is my favorite of all the NP's as far as how much beauty is in such small area. If you can, I would do at least one hike. Im 59 and I could do the Navajo and Queens garden trail in a hour. That trail gets you up close and personal.

If I was staying in Vegas for a week I would take at least two day trips to Utah. The only bad drive is going from Vegas to Arizona state line on I15. Others have suggested some great ideas, I hope you take the time away from Vegas to explore.

It might surprise some to find that Utah has very good breweries. Polygamy Porter is a Wasatch Brewery Beer; generally if you like cant get Guinness on tap then Polygamy Porter is a great second. They have other beers such as Evolution and First Admendment. Squaters has Provo Girl and Captain Bastards. Uintah Beers are good too. When we travel we will try some of the local beers, generally pubs have great food (Kona Brewery or Karl Straus).