• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your pick for southern calif coastal - RCI or II

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im just starting to look at Southern Cali for a beach trip/san diego zoo, lego land.

Probably for 2012 (as 2011 is totally booked already :( )

Which TS would be your pick?

stevelb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carlsbad Inn. A great resort. Right at the beach. Close to Legoland. Not to far from the zoo's Animal Land (or whatever it is called) and no big deal to drive into San Diego for the zoo...which in MHO is not what it used to be.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I really like the Coronado Beach Resort. Right across the street from the Hotel del Coronado. Downside is the units are small, but the location is great.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My picks

Im just starting to look at Southern Cali for a beach trip/san diego zoo, lego land.

Probably for 2012 (as 2011 is totally booked already :( )

Which TS would be your pick?

As a Carlsbad resident :D with a bunch of timeshares here, IMHO I rank them in the following order:

For closest to beach: Carlsbad Inn and Tamarack; then Seapoint

For luxury: Hilton and Aviara

For kids activities: Grand Pacific Resort (closest to Legoland) or Carlsbad Inn

An added plus in Carlsbad is the commuter train that takes you to San Diego.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would have a pretty broad list, because during the summer and holidays, the southern coast is a difficult exchange. Don't limit yourself to just one place.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
steveb

Carlsbad Inn. A great resort. Right at the beach. Close to Legoland. Not to far from the zoo's Animal Land (or whatever it is called) and no big deal to drive into San Diego for the zoo...which in MHO is not what it used to be.

FYI. San Diego Zoo just opened an Elephant section much larger than previously and have a variety of those guys. What did you feel was not as great as previous?

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
when is the best time of the year to go weather wise, ie beach weather? look at july - december.

thanks!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Best beach weather, assuming you mean warm weather, is probably July through September. However, the water is never going to get really warm, usually will be in the 60's. June can be foggy, and chilly, along the coast.........ever heard of "June Gloom"?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My favorite time of year to visit Southern California is the middle two weeks of September. Weather is still great, kids are back in school, crowds are down a bit (except on weekends), and it's a more relaxed pace.

I agree with CathyB about the Carlsbad resorts. Nice and close to everything. But if you expect to spend more time down south of there, San Diego has a number of great places to stay, and it's only about 30 miles away.

I enjoyed the convenience and location of Coronado Beach Resort so much when we stayed there a few years ago, I just bought a biennial week there. (Gotta love that eBay $1 winning bid...) :cheer:

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The temps are highest in Aug. and Sept. California has a lot different beach weather than Florida. There are lots of cool days, cool breezes, and virtually no humidity. September will be a lot easier to get an exchange, because the kids are back in school. Early Sept. should be great weather.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The temps are highest in Aug. and Sept. California has a lot different beach weather than Florida. There are lots of cool days, cool breezes, and virtually no humidity. September will be a lot easier to get an exchange, because the kids are back in school. Early Sept. should be great weather.

Much of the time you can go into late September through mid-October and still have very warm, sunny weather. Just not this year where except for our recent 113 degree day, we didn't really have a summer along the coast.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

jkkee

TUG Member
Reaction score
water is really never warm?
No, the waters off the CA coast never get warm. Our East Coast Atlantic beaches get warmed up with the Gulf stream, the Pacific doesn't have anything similar warming theirs up.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
water is really never warm?

Nope. I grew up in southern California, so as a kid I got used to the water temps. But, after my first visit to Hawaii I could never go in the ocean in southern Cal again. :shrug:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summer ocean temps are in the 60's. :eek:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Krmlaw,

Legoland is coming to Florida so if you want the beach and Legoland you'll have a chance and it's easier to get an exchange in FL in summer than California, so come on down. :hi:

http://florida.legoland.com/

We also have a few zoo places like Miami's Metrozoo, Lion Country Safari etc.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Krmlaw,

Legoland is coming to Florida so if you want the beach and Legoland you'll have a chance and it's easier to get an exchange in FL in summer than California, so come on down. :hi:

http://florida.legoland.com/

We also have a few zoo places like Miami's Metrozoo, Lion Country Safari etc.

Sorry, but in my opinion (and maybe this is from a native Californian :D ) you can't compare Florida, especially during the summer, with San Diego. :p

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry, but in my opinion (and maybe this is from a native Californian :D ) you can't compare Florida, especially during the summer, with San Diego. :p

You can't - the weather along coastal CA in the summer is very pleasant with nice breezes and no humidity. No comparison.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a big difference between water temp of 61 versus 69. Sometimes, it can get up to 70 and be pretty OK, just depends on the year and time of year. This year, brrr. My brave swimming friend who visits her mom in Long Beach swims in the bay, even at 61 degrees. A couple summers ago we were at Dana Point and the water was really comfortable, I think it was 70 or 72 and that was in September. The aerated waves seem to help make it warmer than swimming in still water would be at those temps.
Liz

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree with Liz. We lived in San Diego for several years and now live just an hour away. Our favorite beach was San Clemente and the water is typically a degree or two warmer than some of the other beaches. It was typically 70-72 July - September. However, there are a lot of good beaches from San Diego to Santa Barbara. The "Travel" channel rates the beach in front of the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island as the best beach in California. Like all beaches in California, it is open to the public. When I was a lot younger, I used to swim in the ocean 6 months out of the year. I got spoiled when we lived in SE Florida for 8 years and I could swim all year in temps of 80+.

I agree that mid-September is a great time to visit. I would definitely avoid June.

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally think the prettiest beach in SoCal is Laguna Beach, but like everyone else has chimed in, the Pacific is cold here. :(

September is a good month here.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill