• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your next American flight might be full as airline will no longer block seats in name of social distancing

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this may be a power play by the airlines. I know American, and I believe some other airlines, are advocating that the the Federal Government buy all middle seats on all flights. Yeah, I know it is just a way for the airlines to get more cash from the Government but it is what it is...

George

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think this may be a power play by the airlines. I know American, and I believe some other airlines, are advocating that the the Federal Government buy all middle seats on all flights. Yeah, I know it is just a way for the airlines to get more cash from the Government but it is what it is...

George

Hmm... I hadn't heard that, but without much consideration it doesn't necessarily seem like a horrible idea. Our goal is for society to reduce the spread...

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
The statement made today is nothing more than confirmation of what they have been doing since late May. Flew American from BIS (Bismarck, ND) to SAN (San Diego) The middle seats were not blocked out when I went to choose seats. The flights were 90% plus full on each leg.

Just booked return flights for July 9 two days ago. Again the middle seats were not blocked when I went to chose seats. Based on available seats, the flights are already above 70%.

Lots of hand sanitizer and best masks I can find (certified KN95s) are my only line of defense. Hopefully I do not encounter many people channeling their favorite freedom guru and not wearing a facial covering. Wearing a mask is not my favorited thing to do, but I am hoping it helps to prevent me from having to be intubated in the future. Also lots of hand washing and touching as few things as possible.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
hopefully airlines will enforce masks.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
The airlines have said that they will not allow people on the plane that are not wearing face coverings. Enforcement is up to the flight crew. That means that flight attendants are on the front line for enforcement on the plane. Not every flight attendant is eager to engage a passenger in the enforcement of the rule. My last series of flights had most passengers wearing face coverings and everyone seemed anxious to avoid everyone else. One can only hope that everyone on board is maintaining their responsibility towards others and wear a face covering. I know that some will opt out by not wearing face coverings for a variety of reasons. That is why I will wear a mask that has a high filtering capability in case I encounter someone not complying with the rules and a flight attendant not willing to confront the situation. I will do the the best I can to take of myself. I can not count on someone else to do it.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Perhaps USA Today is doing its best Onion impression...

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Charge single and double flyers for 1.5 seats and a family of 3 just pay for 3 seats. Then.5 seat is less then half of a person filling a regular seat and no taxes other then any sales tax.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is about the bottom line. Airlines make about $20 in profit per passenger, or about a 9% profit margin on a one-way flight. Middle seats account for roughly 30% of the seats on any given flight. To make that flight profitable and not sell the middle seat, the price to fly would have to increase significantly. A large price increase at a time when you're trying to lure your customers back to considering air travel is just not good business. I suspect you'll see the same from other airlines soon.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This is about the bottom line. Airlines make about $20 in profit per passenger, or about a 9% profit margin on a one-way flight. Middle seats account for roughly 30% of the seats on any given flight. To make that flight profitable and not sell the middle seat, the price to fly would have to increase significantly. A large price increase at a time when you're trying to lure your customers back to considering air travel is just not good business. I suspect you'll see the same from other airlines soon.
How much profit margin on a round trip? ;)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The airlines have said that they will not allow people on the plane that are not wearing face coverings. Enforcement is up to the flight crew. That means that flight attendants are on the front line for enforcement on the plane. Not every flight attendant is eager to engage a passenger in the enforcement of the rule. My last series of flights had most passengers wearing face coverings and everyone seemed anxious to avoid everyone else. One can only hope that everyone on board is maintaining their responsibility towards others and wear a face covering. I know that some will opt out by not wearing face coverings for a variety of reasons. That is why I will wear a mask that has a high filtering capability in case I encounter someone not complying with the rules and a flight attendant not willing to confront the situation. I will do the the best I can to take of myself. I can not count on someone else to do it.
If you can still breathe, many first line workers wear a more disposable surgical mask over their N95 to protect it. YMMV.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am familiar with various mask configurations. Niece is a team leader in a ICU that deals with COVID-19 cases. She has been fortunate that her medical group had lots of top level PPE on hand when this started.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Air Canada and WestJet announced yesterday that they will also no longer block off seats to allow social distancing effective July 1st. Masks in the airports and on the planes are mandatory.

~Diane

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Looks like the CDC is not pleased with American Airlines decision to pack its planes to capacity. This article says the CDC is reviewing the decision.
Unfortunately I don't know if the CDC has any control over the airlines. Now, if the FAA were to step in. Oh wait, the FAA wouldn't even mandate masks, they left that up to the individual airlines.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everybody seems to forget that the announcement that American Airlines made about flight capacity was nothing new. It just validated what they had been doing since mid may. How do I know this, I flew them myself. I have spoken to friends and acquaintances about their experiences in May and they have the same story.
The biggest risk in flying IMHO is the socially irresponsible people that flaunt the face covering rule. I do not like wearing a filtering face covering for the duration of a flight, it is not comfortable, but I would not dream of flying without one. Both for my safety and the safety of everyone around me.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)