• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your favorite resort in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area?

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I am trying to decide which resort to exchange in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, and I though I would ask for your favorite and why. There are many great resorts in the area so your input would be appreciated, and good to have for future reference.

I have personally been to HICV Scottsdale and it has a nice main pool, location is good, and rooms are pretty big, but nothing really special.

These are the ones I am currently considering:

Marriott Canyon Villages. 1b is pretty big, access to desert ridge pools. Negative: North of 101

Westin Kierland Villas. don't know much about it but it is a Westin. Inside 101 and both 1bs have good size.

Four seasons residence club. In the foothills, amazing all around. Would not mind being north of 101.

Sheraton Desert Oasis. Very similar to HIVC and right next to it.

Shell Vacations Club at The Legacy Golf Resort. Close to downtown Phoenix, and Tempe, where I would spend most of my time.

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I own at Sheraton Desert Oasis, but my favorite to stay is Westin Kierland Villas. Easy walk to the hotel. We enjoyed the bagpiper at sundown, but I don't know if that still happens. Also a free shuttle to nearby Kierland Commons for restaurants & shopping. I've also stayed at SDO, but prefer the hotel & restaurants at WKV.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Shell Vacations Club at The Legacy Golf Resort. Close to downtown Phoenix, and Tempe, where I would spend most of my time.
We stayed at Legacy a couple of times while our son was attending ASU. We liked the location, the units, and enjoyed the golf course, too.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love WKV bc of its location to shopping , great dining

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I’ve stayed at SDO, WKV and toured the Four Seasons (didn’t stay).

Four seasons is a beautiful property but is quite far from anything. Unless you are wanting mainly pool/golf you’re probably better off somewhere closer to shopping.

I really like the location of SDO for access to the 101. It gets you around the area very good. Personally I like the main pool at SDO a bit better than the WKV pools (although you may be able to use the larger and nicer facilities at the Westin Resort at Kierland which has a lazy river - but that is a long walk) . You’ll want the side with the full kitchen. They are good sized 1 BR. The smaller “limited kitchen” side is a bit of a squeeze if you need the sofa bed. But both sides are nice and well maintained. Parking is very good and the resort has a more intimate feel. Some buildings don’t have elevators for second floor access.

WKV would probably be my choice if one is wanting mainly shopping mixed with golf and pools. It has a bit of everything. Kierland Commons is a short walk (they do have a shuttle as well). Both 1 Br sides of the lockoffs are large. The kitchenette is well equipped on the smaller side. Good restaurants on site as well as within walking distance. It will take longer to get to the 101 for driving, but not appreciably more than SDO. You may have a long distance between your unit and vehicle if you come in later in the evening.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Kierland. Beautiful and so much to do/walk to. Being on the golf course and next to the hotel is very luxurious.

SDO is right on a major road and feels a bit crowded, but people like it

I’ve been to four seasons troon many times for work. It is beautiful, but far too remote and quiet for my taste. I’d get bored there after a couple days, and it’s a 25 minute drive to anything else. Nice for a relaxing weekend.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Also, and this is weird, but Four Seasons is usually about 5-10 degrees cooler than Kierland area. I’ve stayed at both during the same trip. Depending on time of year, this may be important to you.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We would put Westin Kierland Villas #1 based on quality of resort and location. Caveat, we own there and have stayed there several times. Our #2 choice would be Marriott Desert Ridge. We don’t own there, but have stayed there a couple times. We also visited Four Seasons and as noted by others it is quite a bit away from Scottsdale and Phoenix compared to the other resorts. The resort itself is nice, but we prefer the other locations.

Best regards.

Mike

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what YOU like, and what you can get. We've stayed at three of the resorts you listed (all 2BR's), and we'd happily go back to any of them. For service, you can't beat the Four Seasons. You're treated like a favorite family member. Kierland has a LOT of amenities at the timeshare and resort hotel, so there's a lot to do. We're not mall people, so Kierland Commons isn't a big deal for us. SDO units are very nice (recently updated) and seems more geared towards families around the pool and in common areas.

We love being close to nature and outdoor activities, and like coming home to a bit of luxury. If all three resorts were available, we'd choose Four Seasons.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
It really depends on what YOU like, and what you can get. We've stayed at three of the resorts you listed (all 2BR's), and we'd happily go back to any of them. For service, you can't beat the Four Seasons. You're treated like a favorite family member. Kierland has a LOT of amenities at the timeshare and resort hotel, so there's a lot to do. We're not mall people, so Kierland Commons isn't a big deal for us. SDO units are very nice (recently updated) and seems more geared towards families around the pool and in common areas.

We love being close to nature and outdoor activities, and like coming home to a bit of luxury. If all three resorts were available, we'd choose Four Seasons.

I would be perfectly fine at any of the listed resorts. I kind of know the area since my last visit, and have done some quick research on these, but nothing better than hearing it from people that actually have enjoyed them and might provide a tip or two.

I started searching last week and I have had the opportunity to book at all of these but I have not pulled the trigger since the whole trip (multiple cities) is not 100% confirmed, but I am getting there!

Thanks for your suggestion! I liked the previous comment that four seasons is cooler than the other ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We own in the Marriott system and have stayed at the Marriott and we’ve exchanged into the Westin. Between those two I preferred the Westin

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I would be perfectly fine at any of the listed resorts. I kind of know the area since my last visit, and have done some quick research on these, but nothing better than hearing it from people that actually have enjoyed them and might provide a tip or two.

I started searching last week and I have had the opportunity to book at all of these but I have not pulled the trigger since the whole trip (multiple cities) is not 100% confirmed, but I am getting there!

Thanks for your suggestion! I liked the previous comment that four seasons is cooler than the other ones.
Just one other thought. You don’t see too many Four Seasons exchanges in II usually. The virus may be providing some extra availability. My sense is that the others on your list will probably be easier exchanges to pick up in the future.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
We have stayed at all of the resorts except Shell and own at WKV. All are nice and as everyone has said already, it depends on what your plans might be. We love WKV for many reasons but the outdoor common areas around the pools are exceptionally nice. Pre-COVID, the activities options, such as wine tasting and grilling with the chef are enjoyable. While you may not be interested in malls/shopping, there are some amazing restaurants in the Kierland Commons area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Also, and this is weird, but Four Seasons is usually about 5-10 degrees cooler than Kierland area. I’ve stayed at both during the same trip. Depending on time of year, this may be important to you.
Not surprising at all! It's all about the elevation out here :)

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I are you going? I was just at Kierland Commons, and sry, but it's a bit depressing right now, but I find that true everywhere! The limited hours, many things still closed, and then the whole mask protocol which makes me less inclined to mosey in and out of shops.

The Four Seasons would be amazing, but it is a hike from Tempe which you stated was one of your destinations. Overall, it is very easy to navigate from North Scottsdale to Tempe, but plan on some car time.

I met up with a Tugger who was staying at the Legacy once. I'd urge my mom and dad to trade into there since I thought they were nice. It's close to South Mountain for great hiking and vistas, but what is the attraction to downtown Phoenix? Just curious :)

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I are you going? I was just at Kierland Commons, and sry, but it's a bit depressing right now, but I find that true everywhere! The limited hours, many things still closed, and then the whole mask protocol which makes me less inclined to mosey in and out of shops.

The Four Seasons would be amazing, but it is a hike from Tempe which you stated was one of your destinations. Overall, it is very easy to navigate from North Scottsdale to Tempe, but plan on some car time.

I met up with a Tugger who was staying at the Legacy once. I'd urge my mom and dad to trade into there since I thought they were nice. It's close to South Mountain for great hiking and vistas, but what is the attraction to downtown Phoenix? Just curious :)
UGGGGH - Going to WKV in a few weeks and hate hearing your "depressing" description. Thanks for the heads up - I am going to manage my expectations.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
UGGGGH - Going to WKV in a few weeks and hate hearing your "depressing" description. Thanks for the heads up - I am going to manage my expectations.
So sry! Yup, forewarned is forearmed.
In a few weeks, things could be better! The weather here is changing and that helps! It was still super hot last week, while it was cooler this week. Locals really look forward to the storms. You don't want to be out in them, but it's nice to have a change from the heat.

I haven't been to Old Town which is a personal favorite. I love walking along the Canal. My sorority sisters lunched at Olive & Ivy earlier this summer. I haven't eaten there but it has an attractive vibe from strolling by.

I do love the Biltmore shopping area if you haven't been there. It's old school with grassy plazas. The Apple store is no longer there (but they are all closed right now anyway which added to the low vibe at Kierland) but topnotch dining choices and wonderful upscale shopping including at least one super interesting local shop. Sry, I haven't been there recently but I've never been disappointed with a stop there.

I love Tempe Town Lake shopping area, too. Lots of wonderful water features so it's fun to stroll around. Unlimited eating choices. Younger, affordable store choices and a Barnes & Nobles!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sry! Yup, forewarned is forearmed.
In a few weeks, things could be better! The weather here is changing and that helps! It was still super hot last week, while it was cooler this week. Locals really look forward to the storms. You don't want to be out in them, but it's nice to have a change from the heat.

I haven't been to Old Town which is a personal favorite. I love walking along the Canal. My sorority sisters lunched at Olive & Ivy earlier this summer. I haven't eaten there but it has an attractive vibe from strolling by.

I do love the Biltmore shopping area if you haven't been there. It's old school with grassy plazas. The Apple store is no longer there (but they are all closed right now anyway which added to the low vibe at Kierland) but topnotch dining choices and wonderful upscale shopping including at least one super interesting local shop. Sry, I haven't been there recently but I've never been disappointed with a stop there.

I love Tempe Town Lake shopping area, too. Lots of wonderful water features so it's fun to stroll around. Unlimited eating choices. Younger, affordable store choices and a Barnes & Nobles!
Thank you so much. I am going to manage my/our expectations. The change of scenery will be good (I guess? I hope?).

Taking a day trip to Tucson which will be new for me so there's that....

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We have many friends in the Phoenix area so we usually stay with them, but we did stay at the Four Seasons a few years ago, and toured SDO and WKV (both very nice - I'd give the nod to WKV). We loved, loved the Four Seasons. We were there in June right in time for the first hot spell of the summer. Temps were between 105 and 113. I grew up near the desert and my personal limit is 105. Anything over that is kind of miserable for me, really. We had a really nice unit at the FS with a patio off of both the living room and the master bedroom. We had our coffee every morning outside and it was perfection. We headed over to the pool around 9:30 and the pool attendant set us up with loungers covered with terry cloth covers, and each one had two additional towels rolled up to go behind our necks and backs. He brought an umbrella over for us. Then he came around periodically throughout the morning with treats like frozen grapes and dipping dots ice cream. I am sure there was some sort of drink service but I don't specifically remember. We sat out there until lunch because by then it was just too hot to enjoy, then went inside of our unit and played games or read, then headed back to the pool in the evening. It was a relaxing week but besides taking a trip to Sedona we didn't really do much.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have many friends in the Phoenix area so we usually stay with them, but we did stay at the Four Seasons a few years ago, and toured SDO and WKV (both very nice - I'd give the nod to WKV). We loved, loved the Four Seasons. We were there in June right in time for the first hot spell of the summer. Temps were between 105 and 113. I grew up near the desert and my personal limit is 105. Anything over that is kind of miserable for me, really. We had a really nice unit at the FS with a patio off of both the living room and the master bedroom. We had our coffee every morning outside and it was perfection. We headed over to the pool around 9:30 and the pool attendant set us up with loungers covered with terry cloth covers, and each one had two additional towels rolled up to go behind our necks and backs. He brought an umbrella over for us. Then he came around periodically throughout the morning with treats like frozen grapes and dipping dots ice cream. I am sure there was some sort of drink service but I don't specifically remember. We sat out there until lunch because by then it was just too hot to enjoy, then went inside of our unit and played games or read, then headed back to the pool in the evening. It was a relaxing week but besides taking a trip to Sedona we didn't really do much.
We have family in the phoenix area and we have young kids. Would they be totally out of place at the four seasons?

Were the small snacks (like frozen grapes / dippin' dots) complimentary? It would be torture having to reign in small kids if they are constantly getting sold dippn' dots, but I'm sure we could manage even if they were not.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We have family in the phoenix area and we have young kids. Would they be totally out of place at the four seasons?

Were the small snacks (like frozen grapes / dippin' dots) complimentary? It would be torture having to reign in small kids if they are constantly getting sold dippn' dots, but I'm sure we could manage even if they were not.
They were complimentary. This was 5-ish years ago plus with covid I am not sure that you could count on this. They were tiny portions too - think single portions. More of a refresher than a treat. I seem to remember families being there. The timeshare side was very uncrowded. I also think that there were multiple pools (we stayed at one particular pool though). They were boring pools though. Nothing special for kids - no slides, waterfalls etc, just a pool. Actually the pools at SDO would be better for kids imho, but no dippin dots, lol. SDO also has a playground, which I remember being pretty cool because I don't usually see these at timeshares.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
travelhacker, there was a nice mix of all ages at the Four Seasons when we were there. Children are certainly not out of place. I think the Kid's Club is still closed due to Covid, but the resort staff was very accommodating to the children around the pool, showing them games and different activities in the courtyard area. You also have access to the main Four Seasons resort amenities. That being said, I think you'll find more kids at SDO.

Bill4728

Reaction score
At the Four Seasons in a two bedroom lock-off. It is GREAT! Even when it is hot, it's a nice place to stay. Good pool and wonderful service.

The studio portion of most TS are not the size of units we are generally willing to stay BUT the studio portion at the Four seasons is so nice we'd be happy to stay in one that size. The only downsize of the studio is the limited kitchen with Kureg, microwave and mini fridge.. Other than the kitchen, the studio had a huge living area with gas fireplace and king bed, large patio and huge bathroom.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We love Kierland