• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your Favorite Masks?

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am starting to build a mask collection in anticipation of returning to the office, school, etc.

So far we have basically been staying in place with the exception of our teenage son starting to work a few days per week for 6 hours at a time.

I’m not sure we have found an adequate mask that will be our go-to for all day wear. So far we have:
1. Homemade cotton fabric masks from quilter friend with hair-tie bands for ears. Great for quick run to store, but fog glasses. Hair ties not comfortable for longer use.
2. Etsy purchase from handmade clothing store. Fabric and construction similar to #1, but my friend is better at sewing. Two long ties to tie in back of head.
3. Love your Melon jersey knot masks. Ear loops made from soft jersey edges. Great comfort. Gets wet quickly from breathing (ewww)
4. ShopDisney masks. Similar to 3. But very fun designs. (Baby Yoda, anyone?)
5. Facebook ad masks from a vacuum company. These arrived today and they seem really comfortable. Will give them a bigger test and send son to work with one.
6. Disposable pack of 50 masks from Costco. Plan to keep these on hand stash in cars, lockers, etc in case someone forgets their mask.

I think I have a mask problem! Many of the above were ordered when masks were back ordered and I guess I lost track of what was in the pipeline.

But wondering if anyone has a go-to that they prefer for all day use.

Brett

Reaction score
I am starting to build a mask collection in anticipation of returning to the office, school, etc.

So far we have basically been staying in place with the exception of our teenage son starting to work a few days per week for 6 hours at a time.

I’m not sure we have found an adequate mask that will be our go-to for all day wear. So far we have:
1. Homemade cotton fabric masks from quilter friend with hair-tie bands for ears. Great for quick run to store, but fog glasses. Hair ties not comfortable for longer use.
2. Etsy purchase from handmade clothing store. Fabric and construction similar to #1, but my friend is better at sewing. Two long ties to tie in back of head.
3. Love your Melon jersey knot masks. Ear loops made from soft jersey edges. Great comfort. Gets wet quickly from breathing (ewww)
4. ShopDisney masks. Similar to 3. But very fun designs. (Baby Yoda, anyone?)
5. Facebook ad masks from a vacuum company. These arrived today and they seem really comfortable. Will give them a bigger test and send son to work with one.
6. Disposable pack of 50 masks from Costco. Plan to keep these on hand stash in cars, lockers, etc in case someone forgets their mask.

I think I have a mask problem! Many of the above were ordered when masks were back ordered and I guess I lost track of what was in the pipeline.

But wondering if anyone has a go-to that they prefer for all day use.

for me - disposable pack from Amazon

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I will be finding out. Today I received a box containing 5 different types of masks from an old Girlfriend. At first glance I think I like the small white one which fits very snugly against my face but I'll let you know after I have tried them all...

George

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'm not sure but I will be finding out. Today I received a box containing 5 different types of masks from an old Girlfriend. At first glance I think I like the small white one which fits very snugly against my face but I'll let you know after I have tried them all...

George

You rascal, George!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

George
George - Though I know masks are of great interest, I personally would like to hear more about this former (note I did not use the word "old") girlfriend.

I'd

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the ones from eShakti, the dress making company that advertises a lot on FB? The fabrics are beautiful! I would love to know if anyone has gotten theirs. https://www.eshakti.com/shop/face masks

I have masks that were made from a leader at our local makerspace that my husband knows. Very soft cotton, very comfortable, but with the two long ties. Once I get it fitted right, it's great, but not for short in-and-out (say, through the lobby and elevator of my mother's condo building) because it's too difficult to tie with my long, thick, curly #quarantimes hair. I have a few disposable, surgical masks that I keep in the car for those short trips; those tend to be big on my face and ride up until they partially cover my eyes, LOL. If I'm wearing sunglasses, it's fine (extra eye protection!) but that doesn't reallly work for grocery store trips.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the ones from eShakti, the dress making company that advertises a lot on FB? The fabrics are beautiful! I would love to know if anyone has gotten theirs. https://www.eshakti.com/shop/face masks

I have masks that were made from a leader at our local makerspace that my husband knows. Very soft cotton, very comfortable, but with the two long ties. Once I get it fitted right, it's great, but not for short in-and-out (say, through the lobby and elevator of my mother's condo building) because it's too difficult to tie with my long, thick, curly #quarantimes hair. I have a few disposable, surgical masks that I keep in the car for those short trips; those tend to be big on my face and ride up until they partially cover my eyes, LOL. If I'm wearing sunglasses, it's fine (extra eye protection!) but that doesn't reallly work for grocery store trips.
#FaceMaskFashion ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
All of my masks, except the disposable ones, are from a neighbor and her daughter. They have a table covering business, but went into the mask business when they became required. They first started making them for the Navajo Nation as a donation, but now also have them for sale. The proceeds go back into more materials, and labor, to continue making masks for free for those who can't afford them.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just use the disposable ones from Costco. I bought some cloth ones from a local woman, but with no wire over the nose bridge, they sag and fog glasses. I had to make a 'Z' in the elastic and staple them to shorten the elastic. DW wears these, but I prefer the disposable ones, though I re-use them. I'd buy some N-95's but haven't found any. It's OK. Save them for medical workers.

Jim

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far we have 2 masks each (one home made....one a highly rated cloth with adjustable straps & nose wire from Amazon); I want to buy one that is a full neck ring that can be pulled up over the nose. But after reading something (it might have been here at TUG) I went out and bought a couple of inexpensive face shields as "extra" protection. For the same reason they have put up flexible shields at stores and businesses I thought it would just be added protection if we need to do something where exposure might be more hazardous. I guess you could wear them "instead" of a mask....they are very comfortable, and you can see facial expressions and have absolutely no mouth covering......but we intend to use them in addition to our masks....offering us eye protection in addition to nose & mouth.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
None. But I use a surgical disposable over and over again and I have a cloth one I wear as well sometimes. I try to stay out of buildings as much as possible so I don’t have to wear one. I don’t want to spend money on them and I do not consider them a fashion statement either. I get very sad seeing us all having to wear them.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I have been sewing the shaped fitted masks for DH and I as well as most of our family members. I got a pattern from the internet that comes in child, woman's and men's sizes. I use a tightly woven cotton fabric that I used to make my scrubs tops for the outer layer and cotton broadcloth for the lining. I also use a woven iron on interfacing on the lining for a 3rd layer. I cut the section where the metal bridge of nose wire is off the disposable masks we were given at Costco and sew that into the masks for the 3 of us who wear glasses. The wire makes a big difference in stopping our glasses from fogging up.

~Diane

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I use a surgical disposable over and over again

Disposable masks are not meant to be worn over and over, not even twice unless it's for a few minutes each time. By reusing it you risk the chance of exposing yourself to germs that are in the mask and with repeated use they become less effective. Please just wear your cloth mask when needed and wash it after each use. Get a few in pretty patterns/colours and consider them a fashion statement. :)

~Diane

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Disposable masks are not meant to be worn over and over, not even twice unless it's for a few minutes each time. By reusing it you risk the chance of exposing yourself to germs that are in the mask and with repeated use they become less effective. Please just wear your cloth mask when needed and wash it after each use. Get a few in pretty patterns/colours and consider them a fashion statement. :)

~Diane

I clean both after use. Been using both for months. I hate the masks. The cloth one is harder to breath through.I need clothes is what I need right now. I don’t give a hoot about having pretty masks. To me they are all disgusting.

I have a 70 year old friend who just throws a scarf across her face if she needs to. Lol!

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a story on TV about a British and a USA company that prints a picture of your lower face on the mask. It is almost spooky. Don't know how much they cost.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
lightweight KN95 here for protection from those not wearing masks. We reuse ours. Also leave my surgical and (construction) N95 in hot car for a few days. Several articles said that should kill Covid.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I have 2 masks that I wear - - an N95 with purge valve and a std. N95. Both seal reasonably well. In order to get a good seal at the nose (to keep my glasses from fogging) it kind of pinches my nostrils, so I turn into a "mouth breather" - - ha ha.

BTW, before you start responding that I shouldn't own N95 masks, I bought them well before the pandemic. I use them in my woodworking shop (I have a reaction and sensitivity to some wood dust). Some I bought way back when SARS was a risk. But I keep them on hand, use them multiple times, and wash them when they get too gross.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What is the difference between an N95 mask and a KN95 mask?

Kurt

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
What is the difference between an N95 mask and a KN95 mask?

Kurt

N95 is a U.S. standard - National Institute for Occupation Safety and Health (NIOSH) - and has a strap that goes around back of your head below the ears and a strap that goes around the crown of your head.

KN95 is a Chinese standard and has ear straps.

There's a decent discussion of the differences at:

I bought a pack of 20 KN95 masks from Amazon along with a couple of boxes of simple 3-layer masks to keep in my car and truck. DW had gotten us some cloth KN95-compliant masks with replaceable filter inserts - that's the one I typically use. I had tried a silicone one with replaceable filter from GIR, but didn't like it because the filters kept slipping out. I started out this thing using an N95 mask I had previously used while chipping concrete for a bathroom remodel and was happy to replace that with the cloth KN95 one when I got it. I replace the filter insert about once a week and keep the mask on the dashboard of my truck - sunshine and heat are great disinfectants.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
I bought a pack of floral scarf masks; so convenient to just put on the ear loops/mask when I go inside, then tuck back into scarf. They are made of chiffon, and easy to breathe through.

As I was talking to a cashier at one of my favorite stores, I asked how she feels about being back at work. When she said that she feels more comfortable when customers wears masks, that sealed it for me. We don’t have any mandates here, and less then 50% of people wear them, but if it makes her feel less stressed, I don’t mind wearing one.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I have been sewing the shaped fitted masks for DH and I as well as most of our family members. I got a pattern from the internet that comes in child, woman's and men's sizes. I use a tightly woven cotton fabric that I used to make my scrubs tops for the outer layer and cotton broadcloth for the lining. I also use a woven iron on interfacing on the lining for a 3rd layer. I cut the section where the metal bridge of nose wire is off the disposable masks we were given at Costco and sew that into the masks for the 3 of us who wear glasses. The wire makes a big difference in stopping our glasses from fogging up.

~DianeWe have

There was an article on CNN's website about the effectiveness of various homemade masks. We've been using bandanas w/ & w/out coffee filters, but the report indicates these are not very effective. We also have n95 masks, and home sewn folded masks.

What was reported is that pre-quilted fabric doubled is very effective.

Here is the link to the article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/health/masks-homemade-design-trnd-wellness-scn/index.html

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From the article cited in post #22...

"They found that droplets from a simulated uncovered cough were able to travel more than 8 feet; with a bandana they traveled 3 feet, with a folded cotton handkerchief, they traveled 1 foot, 3 inches; and with the cone-style mask, droplets traveled about 8 inches. With the stitched-quilting fabric mask, they traveled 2.5 inches."

Yes, masks (even the folded cotton handkerchief) can make a big difference in exposing other people.