• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your favorite grocery store in Newport Beach?

spookykennedy

Reaction score
We are staying at Marriott NCV in October and I wondered what the nicest, relatively close store is? TIA!

ajlm33

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a Vons Pavillion about 2 miles away up Newport Coast Drive and there is also an Albersons in Corona Del Mar on PCH also about 2 miles away. The Vons is a upscale store with just about everything from a Starbucks to a florist located inside. The Albersons has a horrible parking lot and shows its age. All things given, we prefer to shop at the Vons.

spookykennedy

Reaction score
Thank you, I have been to a Vons before and it was nice. I will tuck this away in my notes.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Von's Pavillion is the closest, nice supermarket nearby. It is an upscale version of a Von's/Safeway, and has a larger selection than standard Von's. There is a Gelson's on San Miguel, across MacArthur from Fashion Island. That is more of a gourmet supermarket, with higher prices. Trader Joe's is everywhere, and has some good offerings, though a bit smaller. Their baked goods, sweets, frozen seafood and snack offerings are awesome. Great dried fruits and nuts selection. Also, some of their prices are real bargains. Others are higher than supermarkets.

Mother's market on 17th, near Newport Blvd., is a great health food store, with good, fresh organic offerings and premade entrees, as well. A bit further away, in Costa Mesa on Harbor Blvd (around Baker) is Henry's, another health food store.

And, of course, there is a Costco in Fountain Valley, near South Coast Plaza. There are also Sam's Clubs and Walmarts nearby in Fountain Valley and all around.

spookykennedy

Reaction score
Von's Pavillion is the closest, nice supermarket nearby. It is an upscale version of a Von's/Safeway, and has a larger selection than standard Von's. There is a Gelson's on San Miguel, across MacArthur from Fashion Island. That is more of a gourmet supermarket, with higher prices. Trader Joe's is everywhere, and has some good offerings, though a bit smaller. Their baked goods, sweets, frozen seafood and snack offerings are awesome. Great dried fruits and nuts selection. Also, some of their prices are real bargains. Others are higher than supermarkets.

Mother's market on 17th, near Newport Blvd., is a great health food store, with good, fresh organic offerings and premade entrees, as well. A bit further away, in Costa Mesa on Harbor Blvd (around Baker) is Henry's, another health food store.

And, of course, there is a Costco in Fountain Valley, near South Coast Plaza. There are also Sam's Clubs and Walmarts nearby in Fountain Valley and all around.

Thanks so much, it certainly seems like there are many great options. We do not have a Trader Joe's here in SLC so that is fun for us when we travel too.

linmcginn

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bristol Farms is 5 miles away from Newport Coast Villas. The address is 810 Avocado Ave., Newport Beach, Ca. While your there might as well stop at Sprinkles Cupcakes (944 avocado ). Both are located in the Corona del Mar Plaza.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bristol Farms is 5 miles away from Newport Coast Villas. The address is 810 Avocado Ave., Newport Beach, Ca. While your there might as well stop at Sprinkles Cupcakes (944 avocado ). Both are located in the Corona del Mar Plaza.

Bristol Farms has a great butcher section. Some people do rave about Sprinkles Cupcakes, but I found them quite ordinary and not worth the $4-$5 per cupcake that they charge.

Edit: By the way, in the shopping center with Pavillion's is Zov's Bistro, which has good eastern European food, and very good baked goods.

Last edited:

spookykennedy

Reaction score
Bristol Farms has a great butcher section. Some people do rave about Sprinkles Cupcakes, but I found them quite ordinary and not worth the $4-$5 per cupcake that they charge.

Edit: By the way, in the shopping center with Pavillion's is Zov's Bistro, which has good eastern European food, and very good baked goods.

Those sound great. On that note, are there any other casual great places to eat nearby? When we passed through last May, we had some yummy pizza in a stip mall that overlooked the ocean just by chance.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Those sound great. On that note, are there any other casual great places to eat nearby?

Absolutely. Take a look at my TUG Guides to Orange County, Los Angeles and San Diego. Although I haven't been able to update them for nearly two years, most of the suggestions are still valid. Also, you might try Avila's El Ranchito for very casual Mexican food, on Pacific Coast Highway in Corona Del Mar. Don't pass up Fatburger for a quick burger (with everything on it, including a fried egg) and some of the best chili-cheese fries with onions you've ever had. There's a stall in the food court in Fashion Island, or you can go to the restaurant at Jamboree and Michelson, where they have a jukebox with some of the best free music in the area.

A decent and inexpensive Mongolian BBQ can be found on 17th St., just to the south of Newport Blvd., in the same strip mall as Plum's Cafe (which is a dining "scene" on weekend mornings, with decent, but more expensive, food).

All of these three restaurants are in the price range of about $10 to $15 a person.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
By the way, if looking for inexpensive, don't pass up the Happy Hours at many of the restaurants in the area. Most run from about 4-6 pm, and in addition to cheap drinks, they often have their appetizers or scaled down versions of their main courses at half price. You can usually get away with a pretty extravagant dinner, including beverages, for $20 a person or less.

My current favorite is Cafe Sevilla, in Long Beach, which serves their entire Tapas menu at half price from 4 to 6, if you are registered with rewardsnetwork you can get airline miles for dining there, and if you have Tapas for dinner (which, by the way, is the best stuff on their menu), you will easily stuff your bellies for under $20 each. Their Filet Mignon in a paprika sauce, around $5 for the plate at happy hour, is amazing. Their garlic shrimp, around $3.50 a plate at happy hour, is great, as are many other dishes. And they have the best Sangria I've had in the U.S.

Other good happy hours I've experienced with great, cheap food are at Z'Tejas in South Coast Plaza and the Cheesecake Factory.

Edit: BTW, near to you, El Torito Grill in Fashion Island (not El Torito, which is a standard, chain Mexican food restaurant) is a pretty decent, not too expensive restaurant, where they bring all of the fresh, hot, homemade flour tortillas you want to your table at no charge, with honey butter, barbecued salsa and standard salsa. Their Fajitas are very good, but their other Mexican food is not the traditional Tex-Mex that most U.S. palates like (think blue corn tortillas). But for a reasonable price, you can get a very special meal. Made at the table Guacamole, great Fajitas or Fajita salads, good tortilla soup and interesting sweet corn mash make for an interesting and tasty meal. Good Margaritas, as well. Their Sunday buffet brunch is good, too, though not as good as the Orange Hill Restaurant or Queen Mary (which are two or three times the price, but much better).

Last edited:

aregee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of the loop

Dear folks,
I am "out of the loop," "fallen between the cracks," "in la-la land," or something, but where is the TUG Guide to LA and Orange County? I know I have seen one somewhere but that was a long time ago and far, far away. With my luck, it is in front of my nose.
I have a friend who is headed out there and needs some recommendations. Thanks, Richard M.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Tug Guide to LA and Orange County

Dear folks,
I am "out of the loop," "fallen between the cracks," "in la-la land," or something, but where is the TUG Guide to LA and Orange County?

I thought this used to be a Sticky at the top of the Western Forum thread
but I don't see it there now.

Has it been deleted?

Richard

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It used to be in the reviews area. Have you tried looking there? You know, "membership has its privileges":)

Fern

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Thanks Fern. That's where the link still is.

click on the hyperlink "Additional information on California Resorts"

Richard

aregee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you

Dear folks,
Thanks for the information. Orange County comes up but LA "cannot be found." Close enough for California, thanks Richard M.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It frustrates the heck out of me, because I spent a lot of time writing and updating all of those guides. But we had a new person take over the California reviews section, and it was like pulling teeth to get him to post one of my updates.

After I updated 3 or 4 times and the updates were not getting posted, I just stopped about 2 years or so ago. Now, they are out of date. Denise M has recently offered to post updates if I would go ahead and do them, but I have gotten fairly busy lately and haven't had time to update them. Obviously, the link to the LA guide has gone bye bye, although I still have the guide (2+ years old) on my hard drive.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My co workers vote is for Costco in San Juan Capistrano off of PCH about 7 miles Newport Coast.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, it certainly seems like there are many great options.

AKA

Ralphs = Kroger/Fry's/Food4Less

Von's = Safeway - Most of the SoCal's Smith's Food Kings became Vons

Pavillions is an upscale Vons

Lulubelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to give a plug to Gelson's. It is by Fashion Island and MacArthur. They have many unique and tasty items. We love ordering a sandwich from the deli with a side pasta, salad or specialty vegetable dish. You know, fancy stuff besides your standard potato or mac salad. And the meats and cheeses are extensive and wonderful. Sushi is made fresh everyday and they have a WolfGang Express menu. Everything is top notch and very, very fresh. Pricy, but you don't go there for milk and bread. The locals shop here, it is fabulous.

Have a great time on the west coast!:)

ski4fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are my choices:

1. Trader Joe's- South Coast, Costa Mesa & Irvine (Best value)

2. Gelsons, Bristol Farms, (more expensive) Vons

I live in Newport.:wave:

spookykennedy

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice everyone! We just went to Trader Joe's in San Diego this past weekend and loved it, wish we had them in Utah!