• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your experiences with Fox Run/Fairways of the Mountain in Lake Lure

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving .

We're looking into timeshhare locations in and near the Carolinas as part of our move to the Charlotte area next year.

Are you familiar with Fox Run and Fairways of the Mountain in Lake Lure. if so, what can you tell us about them? We're considering staying there for a week in the summer. Looking to do some hiking and boating and enjoy the views and hopefully cooler temperature. We're aware it's a pain to drive to Asheville. Also Fox Run and Fairways have the same address. Why the two names?

We'd appreciate any other recommendations in and near the Carolinas. We're familiar with Hilton Head/Savannah and Myrtle Beach/Murrrell's Inlet. Have already booked Outer Banks Beach Club in the Outer Banks.

Thank you

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Foxrun is a very nice place to stay, clean, most of it is managed by VRI. But some of it is under Bluegreen.

Fairways is a lot owned by Wyndham, and some owners are holdouts from Wyndham, is what I assume.

I would take Foxrun for an exchange before I would take Fairways. The units are very large and nice and on a golf course. Lake Lure is where Dirty Dancing was filmed, just FYI.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Fox Run for a week Oct 2021. We had a large one bedroom. Bedroom was downstairs on ground level; living area was the floor you walked in on so if you don’t want stairs….No golf for us. We drove around to waterfalls, parks, and other sites that were within an hour or so. One day we did do Linville Falls and Asheville. Another day we drove to Tyron for the horse show grounds. We didn’t eat out there. There wasn’t much open. Grocery store was a bit far. It was ok for one week. A neighbor has a vacation house on Lake Lure. I can’t see it. Too laid back and quiet for me. Here’s the view from our unit onto the golf course.
1B007353-3C23-40FA-82BA-AA5B0FD9B481.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jme

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving .

We're looking into timeshhare locations in and near the Carolinas as part of our move to the Charlotte area next year.

Are you familiar with Fox Run and Fairways of the Mountain in Lake Lure. if so, what can you tell us about them? We're considering staying there for a week in the summer. Looking to do some hiking and boating and enjoy the views and hopefully cooler temperature. We're aware it's a pain to drive to Asheville. Also Fox Run and Fairways have the same address. Why the two names?

We'd appreciate any other recommendations in and near the Carolinas. We're familiar with Hilton Head/Savannah and Myrtle Beach/Murrrell's Inlet. Have already booked Outer Banks Beach Club in the Outer Banks.

Thank you
How far will you be from Fox Run to Charlotte, NC and are there any timeshare resorts closer or near to Charlotte, NC?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, Thanks, for your questions about Fox Run. It is approximately 2 hours,from Charlotte, NC .

Your question opening up another avenue to visit my grandson in Charlotte, NC.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
We've owned at Foxrun for over 12 years and love it. You have all the amenities of the Rumbling Bald Resort nearby Chimney Rock and beautiful Lake Lure. Great Restaurants Treetops and Esmerelda's are our favorites. Black Mountain is also nearby. Our unit has a view of Lake Lure and Bald mountain. Units have WiFi, washer and dryer, full kitchen, fire place and jacuzzi tub.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
The Lake Lure area is lovely, peaceful, quiet. It's located in a thermal belt so it's a little warmer than surrounding areas. A summertime visit would not be much cooler than Charlotte although the lake is pleasant in the summer. About the same driving distance away from Charlotte, you may want to consider Boone, NC. It's a college town with more to do in the mountains. There are a handful of timeshares, mostly older. But the area is beautiful. HTH.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Has anyone visited Congaree National Park, which is less than 2 hours from Charlotte?

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
Thanks everyone. Has anyone visited Congaree National Park, which is less than 2 hours from Charlotte?
We visited earlier this month. It's a small park located on a flood plain. It's the largest hardwood forest on a flood plain in the country. There are several hiking trails and campgrounds. We walked the boardwalk trail which is a loop starting from the visitor center. It took about an hour and a half. The next day we kayaked on the West Creek, it was a down and back kayak. The flow at this time of year is pretty slow so it was relatively easy. It took about 3 hours to complete. There aren't too many places to stay near the park. We stayed in Columbia, about 30 minutes away.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
@JeffC

Thanks for the info. Did you have any problems with bugs at Congaree in November? Were you able to rent the kayak at the park? Finally, did you enjoy visiting Columbia.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Bunk

Bugs were not a problem in the Park. The weather had been warmer than normal, but drier. We did a guided tour that included the kayaks, we used Carolina Outdoor Adventures and they were very good. You can research kayak tours and rentals here https://www.nps.gov/cong/planyourvisit/canoeing.htm. We stayed 2 nights in Columbia at a Courtyard Marriot. We enjoyed the town. We went down along the river walk one night for dinner. The next night we went downtown by the university. There's a lot of construction going on, it's a growing area.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Bunk

Bugs were not a problem in the Park. The weather had been warmer than normal, but drier. We did a guided tour that included the kayaks, we used Carolina Outdoor Adventures and they were very good. You can research kayak tours and rentals here https://www.nps.gov/cong/planyourvisit/canoeing.htm. We stayed 2 nights in Columbia at a Courtyard Marriot. We enjoyed the town. We went down along the river walk one night for dinner. The next night we went downtown by the university. There's a lot of construction going on, it's a growing area.
This has been a very informative thread. I'm now researching how I can visit The Biltmore House Estate in Asheville, North Carolina and my grandson in Charlotte, North Carolina on the same vacation trip. I'm researching for April or May 2023.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
This has been a very informative thread. I'm now researching how I can visit The Vanderbilt Estate in Asheville, North Carolina and my grandson in Charlotte, North Carolina on the same vacation trip. I'm researching for April or May 2023.

Pedro, hello.
The Biltmore House & Estate tickets can be purchased online.

It's a fantastic tour....usually a self-guided tour with headphones unless you purchase a more expensive
special-guide tour, which is really unnecessary.
But the self-guided tour only takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours at most. I would highly suggest doing the tour first about mid-morning,
and then use your RESERVATIONS (Open Table) forThe Stables restaurant adjacent to the estate house. It's fantastic, and is located inside where the Vanderbilt horses
were kept....believe me, the horses lived in luxury too. Each stall is very large and has a big table with high-back wooden seating---really nice.
The meals offered are terrific. Advisable to make reservations way in advance, as it's very popular----- you'll need to do that at least 2-3 weeks in advance
(can always cancel).

Do the Biltmore House regular tour first, then some other future time try the "behind the scenes tour". The regular one is quite sufficient.
About every other time we visit Asheville, we do the Biltmore House tour because it always changes, as they restore another room or two every couple of years
as ongoing research allows. They want as close to 100% accuracy as possible, even down to the fabrics used.

We visit Asheville every year, staying at our most favorite place on the planet---The Grove Park Inn.
Look that up> https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/a...listing&utm_medium=organic#digex-photogallery

Now owned by Omni,
so it's listed as the Omni Grove Park Inn. Expensive but unique and so amazing. It's an old stone hotel, with dozens of photos of those who have stayed there----
9 former US presidents......plus Hollywood stars, authors, dignitaries, inventors, and many more.......not a luxury hotel as one might expect, but extremely comfortable......
more like a lodge---several restaurants and shops, almost like a small city. Overlooks the valley and mountains and has glorious sunsets. Don't miss it.

Last edited:

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We visited Biltmore October 2022. We did the special guided tour, which was informative. We also ate at the Stables restaurant, we didn't have a reservation so we had to wait about an hour for a table to open. We stayed at the onsite hotel. There is a replica type village near the hotel with different craftspeople. We had a very long conversation with the blacksmith, he was an interesting guy. There's an onsite winery that we toured and sampled.

• Love
Reactions: jme

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
tagging on: which for a summer week for cooler weather, hiking, scenery, quaint towns, antiquing, etc.? Lake Lure, Sapphire Valley or Banner Elk?

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
tagging on: which for a summer week for cooler weather, hiking, scenery, quaint towns, antiquing, etc.? Lake Lure, Sapphire Valley or Banner Elk?
For cooler weather definitely Banner Elk good hiking, waterfalls, and caverns. Lake Lure is a bit warmer but a lot to do with Chimney Rock, Black Mountain, and Ashville nearby. Hendersonville is a cool town also. Don't know about Sapphire Valley.