• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your Best Line with the Sales Staff

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Two kids with college tuition. nuff said!

Now it is easy:

"Too many unknowns" Not buying anything until (MVC/Vistana) or (Hilton Diamond) programs are fully defined in writing or

Waiting until Covid travel risk is over. "We have way too many points that may go unused so no stomach to buy more at this time."

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
To end the presentation before it gets started: Wear your, "I paid more for this T-shirt than for my timeshare"

Or show eBay ads for the TS you're visiting and say, "Match THIS price!" Presentation over. Head to Gifting.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here’s one that never worked for me. - “We have too many points.”

Last edited:

AndySamuels

Reaction score
Ask for the official prospectus. Ask for everything they just told you in writing. Ask for references so you can verify the claims made.

Works like a charm. Sometimes results in excessive aggressive behavior by sales people (especially closers): which is great: inexcusable and perfect to escalate and file a formal complaint.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
When staying at timeshare properties, my wife and I occasionally give in to the entreaty to attend a sales presentation. Having suffered through enough of them, we want to claim whatever incentive they offer without staying a minute beyond the promised length of the presentation - which as we all know is a promise worth less than the carbon dioxide exhaled in making the promise. After attempting a couple of different approaches, we've settled on a line that emphasizes that we're so new to timesharing (and to the particular developer's program) that we're just not sure we can commit to this - "yet." That has worked to get both the sales person and the "manager" (or whoever that is who comes in after the salesperson to lean even harder on us) off our backs and us out the door on time. We've tried telling them how we'll never pay above resale prices, but that just raises the sales guy's hackles (and often elicits some outrageous lies from him) and it ends up being unpleasant for all involved.

What's your favorite line to keep the presentation to the allotted time and still get your freebie?
Usually for an owner update... "Thanks for the update! We only buy resale". Or better yet... "Tug told me to "Just Say No"!

GrampaTim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Seapointe
The best one I had was recently. The sales person was really nice, but mentioned we had been referred by another couple ( who we haven't talked with in 25 years, which I shared ). We then got him talking about his career and family, and we reinforced that. As we started the "tour", for each point he made, I was ready with a knowledgable response ( thanks TUG ) which was often counter to the script ( but done so nicely ... don't be rude to a new "friend" ). When he pointed out the great resorts we could travel to, I pointed out how those were in areas we just didn't have an interest in visiting. At the end he took us to the "office" and said he would be back in a few minutes. He brought in his manager who handed us the gift card ( for a very nice dinner onsite ) and thanked us for stopping in. We said our goodbyes and were on our way in the promised time. We had also attained a nice suite at a highly discounted package for the week in exchange for taking the tour.

At our home resort, my son was interested in the cash incentive, so he and his wife attended the "owners update" tour ( we are the owners ), and at the end thanked them for the presentation and information. He said it would be very helpful because we were signing over the deed for one week to him ( which was very true and did happen ) and this helped him to see more of his options. They took the cash and left.

Finally, at a Diamond property, we finally caved, and went with our friends to get the free adventure tickets ( a nice train ride and a good meal ). When the guy started pushing, I told him they would need to complete the upgrades ( long promised, property a mess, no progress ) to the facilities and the rooms ( our "kitchen" was a microwave on a counter and a mini-fridge ) before we could consider investing a penny in their program. After that, a firm NO as he tried to continue, and we left ( with the tickets ).

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Here’s one that never worked for me. - “We have too many points.”

That worked for us for a few years before we retired. With our points giving us 3-5 weeks per year, plus our original week, we had more timeshare time than vacation time from our jobs each year.

~Diane

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 4 weeks of annual vacation and already own 5 timeshare weeks. I simply can’t use any more.
The sales guy sat silent for a minute trying to come up with a response

They always respond that we should convert un-used points to HHonors points which never expire. One sales lady even said we should buy the timeshare at the current day prices. Covert it every year to HHonors hotel points. This would be like a type of vacation retirement fund—travel in the future at today’s prices. As I have often mentioned In 2000 60,000 HHonors points got me 6 nights at Hilton HawaIan Village. Now 60,000 points get you 1 night at HHV.

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We’re in our late 70’s, own 5 weeks that we love and use, will not be changing to a points account since we love weeks, and we are not concerned about our maintenance fees. They usually don’t spend a lot of time with us. And yes I do mention Tug as a website I use to do research and learn.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
They always respond that we should convert un-used points to HHonors points which never expire. One sales lady even said we should buy the timeshare at the current day prices. Covert it every year to HHonors hotel points. This would be like a type of vacation retirement fund—travel in the future at today’s prices. As I have often mentioned In 2000 60,000 HHonors points got me 6 nights at Hilton HawaIan Village. Now 60,000 points get you 1 night at HHV.

A couple of years ago, they were referring this as the "401v" plan (v as in vault). There was a picture here on Tug someone took of the scribbled board they were showing.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
I'm just here to fulfill my obligation to attend a presentation, we won't be making any purchases today. Used this on our Encore visit to Waikoloa. I guess I lied because we did buy another Encore package. I'm a sucker for those packages. We've done Newport, MOC twice and Waikoloa on Encore packages.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 4 weeks of annual vacation and already own 5 timeshare weeks. I simply can’t use any more.
The sales guy sat silent for a minute trying to come up with a response

Well, I guess that's another line to overcome that the TS sales people will have to work on in their training seminars. They seem to be trained to rebut all sorts of objections but maybe not this one.

I'm surprised they didn't use the sales pitch of trading in your current TSs with their "equity". But then maybe that's just a line used for Mexican TSs.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
A couple of years ago, they were referring this as the "401v" plan (v as in vault). There was a picture here on Tug someone took of the scribbled board they were showing.
Yeah, I've heard that one, too. The "v" was for vacation.

I'm at the point now with four lockoff weeks at Vistana/Marriott that I got paid to take, plus my Destination Points, that I'm overextended time-wise even with "work from timeshare" options.

travelplus

Reaction score
My line is "While you were talking with your Manager I found this place on Redweek and TUGS BBS on resale. A poster on TUGS told me to buy it on resale and I just made an offer" . Then I say that can I please get my gift now as it's been 90 minutes.

travelplus

Reaction score
Another line is when the agent claims he owns a Timeshare at the resort I go on the County Deed Recorder Website and look for his or her name. If I can't find it then I tell them so. I did that a couple of times.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Another line is when the agent claims he owns a Timeshare at the resort I go on the County Deed Recorder Website and look for his or her name. If I can't find it then I tell them so. I did that a couple of times.

That's a good one. Really easy to do in Orange County Florida.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Great idea. Does this work for points trusts? eg Sheraton Flex, MVC points

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Every time I start by saying we can waste each other’s time or you can give me the goodies now. Once in a while that works but if not then the following happens.

I don’t mind the experience since it just me vs them. After I tell them what I own and had paid for, one of two things happen. They give me the goodies and I leave OR the sales agent and I talk about something else of mutual interest until the gong rings. Shared some interesting experiences that way.

If there’s nothing of mutual interest, my go to after saying no is whip out my iPad and check emails until they quit talking. That very rarely is required.

Cheers

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Here is a line I will try with my next presentation:

"We already own three and we are worried about how to easily exit from what we already own when we stop travel. If you can provide us with a written guarantee that you will buy back the timeshare you sell us at a price equivalent or more than the existing purchase price at any time we decide to exit, we will consider buying."

(of course they will try to counter with Responsible Exit program which is unguaranteed BS and includes with fees to deedback - no refund of retail.)

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I've ever used it or ever will but...

Me: Can I take this home and think it over?

Sales person: No, it's only good for today. If you come back a few days from now, the price will go back to the higher regular price.

Me: Well then wouldn't that be good for you as you would get a higher commission?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When they offer the written Contract read it line for line. Start making pen corrections/deletions/additionals. Such things as this Contract incorporates by reference as though fully set forth herein all oral representations/statements/promises by the sales staff. If there is a dispute as to the oral representations/statements/promises by the sales staff the buyer's recollection/memory will control and be binding on any Court.