• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yogi Berra Dies At Age 90

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the greatest catcher in the history of baseball has passed away Yogi Berra. He only won ten (10) World Series Baseball Crown with the New York Yankees. RIP in Yogi.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just read a whole list of Yogi Berraisms and they are all priceless! We will miss him.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Past interviews on TV now airing show him to be such a nice man. He had a good reputation and was so memorable, even to people who did not follow baseball.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Factbox: Did He Say It? Top 'Yogi-isms' from Baseball Great Yogi Berra - from Reuters.com

Yoggi is as beloved for his folksy sayings as for his legendary baseball career.

Yoggi Berra was a 15-time All Star and a record 10-time World Series Champion. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1972. The New York Yankees retired his number 8 jersey.

RIP Yoggi.

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
He was one-of-a-kind. He spread happiness wherever he went. Not a bad baseball player either. R.I.P. Yogi.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
He was one-of-a-kind. He spread happiness wherever he went. Not a bad baseball player either. R.I.P. Yogi.

imo, the greatest ever.

Yogi played catcher, meaning he was in on virtually every play. His team won the World Series 10 years of the 13 years he was the starting catcher. If baseball is a team sport -- which is still is notwithstanding sabermetrics -- being the most important player on the most successful team makes him the greatest player ever.

(Note: I am not and have never been a Yankees fan.)

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Passed on the same day he started his major league career 69 years ago... kind of fitting. He was truly an American icon and a special person. RIP Yogi

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A Yogi-ism...
His wife asked him where he wanted to be buried.
Yogi replied: "Surprise me."

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't over until it is over.

Great Yogiism.

Now it is over.

What a wonderful life he had.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I had the privilege of meeting and talking to Yogi Berra in the spring of '84.

It was at the Yankees spring training in Fort Lauderdale Florida. We lived in Coral Springs FL ( Ft. Lauderdale metro area ) then. Jose Rijo who was a pitcher in the Yankee organization lived with us in 1983 when Jose played for the Ft. Lauderdale Yankees. He was invited to NY Yankees spring training. He wanted to live at our home with us during spring training rather than the team's hotel. However that was against league rules that states that the players have to live with the team unless they have 3 years in the Majors or are married.

Jose was very adamant about staying with us and the issue went all the way up to George Steinbrenner whom I also talked to. He said there wasn't much he could do about it. So then Yogi got involved. The outcome was that Yogi said "What I don't know won't hurt me". So on that note, Jose lived with us that spring.

Yogi was a very nice down to earth man. We also met Phil Rizzuto who was a great guy.

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the privilege of meeting and talking to Yogi Berra in the spring of '84.

It was at the Yankees spring training in Fort Lauderdale Florida. We lived in Coral Springs FL ( Ft. Lauderdale metro area ) then. Jose Rijo who was a pitcher in the Yankee organization lived with us in 1983 when Jose played for the Ft. Lauderdale Yankees. He was invited to NY Yankees spring training. He wanted to live at our home with us during spring training rather than the team's hotel. However that was against league rules that states that the players have to live with the team unless they have 3 years in the Majors or are married.

Jose was very adamant about staying with us and the issue went all the way up to George Steinbrenner whom I also talked to. He said there wasn't much he could do about it. So then Yogi got involved. The outcome was that Yogi said "What I don't know won't hurt me". So on that note, Jose lived with us that spring.

Yogi was a very nice down to earth man. We also met Phil Rizzuto who was a great guy.
Hey John, What a neat story and memory. Thanks for sharing your experience. On a side note about Rizzuto.. I was listening to the Yogi tribute today on the YES Network. Yankee announcer Michael Kay told a very moving story about Yogi going to visit The Scooter everyday while he lived out his final months in a nursing home. Yogi would stay and keep him company until Phil fell asleep every night. He knew he was scared. Kay broke down on air while telling the story. He touched a lot of people's lives in so many positive ways.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
My parents moved to the same retirement home where Phil Rizzuto lived until his death. They often saw Yogi coming to visit. The irony was that my father was a Yankee fan and Italian so Phil and Yogi had an elevated status in his mind. Unfortunately, by the time they moved my dad was in an advanced stage of dementia and had no clue who they were.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Hero

One of the greatest catcher in the history of baseball has passed away Yogi Berra. He only won ten (10) World Series Baseball Crown with the New York Yankees. RIP in Yogi.

Yogi was my baseball here growing up. I admired his hustle and his stature as I believe he was only 5-7 or so. For a catcher, that is tiny. One I really admired though as I got older is I never heard anything bad about him. You can't say that about many famous ball players and especially in a city like NY.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Postscript: :Yogi Berra, 1925 - 2015 - by Roger Angell/ News/ Sporting -Scene/ The New Yorker/ newyorker.com

"For decades, any mention of his name made you smile. Yogi Berra was great and sweet, a bent, short, famous old guy with a gap-toothed smile. Raising an arm again to our cheering while he made his way to the plate or the mound for another pregame ceremonial moment, with Whitey and Moose and Phil and the rest awaiting him, he tapped the syrupy strain of affection that tastes also of Elvis and Goofy and Chekhov. When we sat down again, somebody in the next seat would be saying, “When you get to a fork in the road, take it,” or “It gets late early out there,” or some other Yogi-ism that would keep the candied moment going. Berra, who died yesterday, played for the Yankees for eighteen seasons and the Mets for one, compiling a .285 batting average, with three hundred and fifty-eight home runs and fourteen hundred and thirty runs batted in. His postseason marks were equally impressive—seventy-one hits, thirty-nine R.B.I.s, and twelve homers—but even these figures feel legendary in sum and slightly distance us from the kind of player and man he was. There is a hovering temptation, for instance, to dismiss his World Series figures a little, because they depend so much on the Yankees’ repeated presence in the classic. But this is patronizing and unfair. Given his chances, Yogi hit them out of sight. The Times’s splendid obituary, by Bruce Weber, does the right thing. It carefully compares Berra’s over-all lifetime stats as a catcher to those of a prior Hall of Fame Yankees catcher, Bill Dickey, and shows, I think, that Yogi was the better backstop. It also brings in Johnny Bench, and clarifies our thinking about the best catcher ever..."

Angell-Yogi-Berra1-320.jpg

PHOTOGRAPH BY BERNARD HOFFMAN / THE LIFE PICTURE COLLECTION / GETTY IMAGES

The Link to the NYT obit is in my post #14 in this thread.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A Yankee's Forgiveness Won't Be Forgotten - by Harvey Araton/ Baseball/ An Appraisal/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"The overdue and gloriously unscripted sequel to Yogi Berra’s wonderful Yankees life began on a cold Tuesday evening in January 1999, when Berra, a Hall of Fame catcher, stood slightly hunched at the back-entrance doorstep of a recently opened museum named for him. He awaited the arrival of the man whose impulsive behavioral and operational tendencies had sent Berra into a 14-year self-imposed exile from his most cherished workplace, in the South Bronx.

Berra, at 73, wore the stern look of a father counting the seconds his son was late with the car, but he also fidgeted just enough to resemble an expectant boy awaiting the return of his father from a long day’s work. Even in his geriatric years, Berra had the fascinating capacity to appear proudly venerable in one moment and childishly playful the next.

Across the nearly decade and a half that Lawrence Peter Berra had refused to step into Yankee Stadium in protest of the way George Steinbrenner had fired him — through an intermediary — as manager in 1985, the Boss, five years younger, had come to represent both sides of the generational divide. Berra was furious and disappointed. He had expected more from Steinbrenner, the imperious owner, who liked to lecture folks on the virtue and value of being a Yankee..."

Richard

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard an amazing stat the other day.

Bryce Harper---who is only 22, has already had more Strikeouts than Yogi did DURING HIS ENTIRE CAREER!!!

Pat