• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Time’s Up

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Orlando FL
Hello all,
On January 29th, my husband and I purchased a timeshare is Orlando, at Westgate Resort. My husband and I both had Birthdays coming up and wanted to treat ourselves. Boy, what a joke!! We booked a room at Westgate to stay in while we were in Orlando for the NFL ProBowl. Early Sunday morning (8am) we headed to the lobby of the hotel and met with Asha (sweet Indian lady which we affectionately called Grandma). She, along with her Manager Carlos quickly won us over. Well, if you call 5 hours quick! After being pressured and beat down by the hard sale, we ignorantly signed on the dotted line. After a down payment of $2000, we were officially "owners" of a 3 bedroom lock off unit on odd years. After enjoying the ProBowl we hit the road and headed back to GA. While enjoying the ride, because my husband was driving, I decided to review our purchase. After spending 5 mins on the internet we concluded that WE'VE BEEN HAD!! It didn't take me long to find TUGBBS and thank God we did!! We found out that we had a 10 day recission period!! I jumped on that like white on rice! 2 days after signing off on a bunch of lies, our recission letter was certified date stamped and mailed. 3 days later our letter was signed for. Today marks 9 days after signing and 4 days since they've received our cancellation letter. Now, to wait for our refund. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. We appreciate you all and we are truly blessed to have come across this forum. Will update. No calls received as of yet however we did receive a welcome post card in the mail today. Hahahaha.... What a shitty group of people they are.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so very happy you found us in time to save a fortune!

you certainly wont regret rescinding that purchase =)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hello all,
On January 29th, my husband and I purchased a timeshare is Orlando, at Westgate Resort. My husband and I both had Birthdays coming up and wanted to treat ourselves. Boy, what a joke!! We booked a room at Westgate to stay in while we were in Orlando for the NFL ProBowl. Early Sunday morning (8am) we headed to the lobby 9f the hotel and met with Asha (sweet Indian lady which we affectionately called Grandma). She, along with her Manager Carlos quickly won us over. Well, if you call 5 hours quick! After being pressured and beat down by the hard sale, we ignorantly signed on the dotted line. After a down payment of $2000, we were officially "owners" of a 3 bedroom lock off unit on odd years. After enjoying the ProBowl we hit the road and headed back to GA. While enjoying the ride, because my husband was driving, I decided to review our purchase. After spending 5 mins on the internet we concluded that WE'VE BEEN HAD!! It didn't take me long to find TUGBBS and thank God we did!! We found out that we had a 10 day recission period!! I jumped on that like white on rice! 2 days after signing off on a bunch of lies, our recission letter was certified date stamped and mailed. 3 days later our letter was signed for. Today marks 9 days after signing and 4 days since they've received our cancellation letter. Now, to wait for our refund. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. We appreciate you all and we are truly blessed to have come across this forum. Will update. No calls received as of yet however we did receive a welcome post card in the mail today. Hahahaha.... What a shitty group of people they are.
Welcome to TUG. Timesharing can be a beautiful experience if purchased on the resale market and at a desirable place. Stick around, learn and you will figure out if owning a timeshare is for you.

So glad you found us in time.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
After spending 5 mins on the internet we concluded that WE'VE BEEN HAD!! It didn't take me long to find TUGBBS and thank God we did!! We found out that we had a 10 day recission period!! I jumped on that like white on rice! 2 days after signing off on a bunch of lies, our recission letter was certified date stamped and mailed. 3 days later our letter was signed for. Today marks 9 days after signing and 4 days since they've received our cancellation letter. Now, to wait for our refund. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. We appreciate you all and we are truly blessed to have come across this forum. Will update. No calls received as of yet however we did receive a welcome post card in the mail today. Hahahaha.... What a shitty group of people they are.

:cheer:

Congratulations on rescinding in time! Whew, that was a close one! :wave:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
After spending 5 mins on the internet we concluded that WE'VE BEEN HAD!! It didn't take me long to find TUGBBS and thank God we did!! We found out that we had a 10 day recission period!! I jumped on that like white on rice!

Well done and congratulations! :clap:
Their properties are certainly decent, but you truly want absolutely nothing to do with Westgate as a company.

While we are certainly glad that you found TUG in time, it is worthy of note that developers are required by law to overtly inform buyers of their contract rescission rights at the time of contract execution. Unfortunately Westgate is notorious for going to great lengths to conceal that legally required "notice". Their slimy tactics include hiding a print copy of those rescission rights within a hidden, velcroed pocket in the "new owner" leather case and / or burying that notice of rescission rights within the digital content of a provided CD-ROM which is reportedly very difficult to open and decipher.

Can you share with us which one of those "hide the rescission rights" tactics you encountered, resulting in your learning of your contract rescission rights here on TUG rather than within your contract documents, as required by law? :ponder:

Last edited:

Time’s Up

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Orlando FL
Well done and congratulations! :clap:
Their properties are certainly decent, but you truly want absolutely nothing to do with Westgate as a company.

While we are certainly glad that you found TUG in time, it is worthy of note that developers are required by law to overtly inform buyers of their contract rescission rights at the time of contract execution. Unfortunately Westgate is notorious for going to great lengths to conceal that legally required "notice". Their slimy tactics include hiding a print copy of those rescission rights within a hidden, velcroed pocket in the "new owner" folder and / or burying that notice of rescission rights within the digital content of a provided CD-ROM which is reportedly very difficult to open and decipher.

Can you share with us which one of those "hide the rescission rights" tactics you encountered, resulting in your learning of your contract rescission rights here on TUG rather than within your contract documents, as required by law? :ponder:

The timeshare reps never once mentioned a rescission period to us. Once learning of our rights through TUG, we looked through the owner's leather case, we found it hidden in a inside back pocket held together by Velcro inside a Manila folder behind the CD.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The timeshare reps never once mentioned a rescission period to us. Once learning of our rights through TUG, we looked through the owner's leather case, we found it hidden in a inside back pocket held together by Velcro inside a Manila folder behind the CD.

To be fair, the sales weasels had no legal obligation to verbally convey to you your contract rescission rights.
They met their legal obligation by providing you with the printed (albeit carefully hidden) notice of same.

Regarding your deposit refund, bear in mind that it could lawfully take up to 45 days before you actually see it. It won't likely take that long, but could. Also know that they have no legal obligation to provide you with any update or progress report at any time. Have no fear however; they have no choice or option other than to process a properly and timely submitted rescission and issue 100% refund of all deposit money paid. They do not dare to fail to comply with the law.

It would not be wise to make (or to accept) any "follow up" phone calls on this matter. Verbal conversation is legally meaningless in any such contract matter; no possible good can come from talking to those people. Just be patient and count your blessings that you are not doomed to a long term captive association with the slimy likes of Wastegate.

P.S. I hope / trust that you sent the rescission correspondence to Westgate Corporate (Old Winter Garden Rd., Ocoee, FL) and not back to the resort where you actually signed the contract.

Last edited:

Time’s Up

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Orlando FL
To be fair, the sales weasels had no legal obligation to verbally convey to you your contract rescission rights. They met their legal obligation by providing you with the printed (albeit carefully hidden) notice of same.

Regarding your deposit refund, bear in mind that it could lawfully take up to 45 days before you actually see it. It won't likely take that long, but could. Also know that they have no legal obligation to provide you with any update or progress report at any time. Have no fear however; they have no choice or option other than to process a properly and timely submitted rescission and issue 100% refund of all deposit money paid. They do not dare to fail to comply with the law.

It would not be wise to make (or to accept) any "follow up" phone calls on this matter. Verbal conversation is completely meaningless in any such contract matter, legally speaking; no possible good can come from talking to those people again. Just be patient and count your lucky stars that you are not doomed to a long term captive association with the slimy and sleazy likes of Wastegate.

Oh trust me, I'm extremely thankful that we will have zero affiliation with those people. Indeed, the hotel was beautiful and we enjoyed our 1 night stay but as for signing our lives away without doing our due diligence, that will never happen again. Lesson learned!!! I've read all the postings here so I know to be patient, answer no calls from them and don't reach out to them. I've followed carefully the rescission letter format, so I'm confident I'll be receiving refund shortly....I'll happily wait the full 45 days if that means I'm free of them for life!!

Wgk101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas blvd
Charter Club Marco Island
Flamingo
What was the total purchase price

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats! you are the 700th person to confirm their rescission after finding the TUG forums since we started keeping track!

and our total with your 15k is now over 9.1 million bucks saved!

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And might I suggest that you join TUG. Very small fee to be a member and, as you've now learned, very valuable advice here.

Congrats on successfully getting out of that bad deal.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG website. Where “Knowledge is Power” by Bacon. Congratulations on your final decision to rescind. You just saved some big dollars in your banking & saving accounts.

Please keep a copy of all your documentation and postal receipt.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Hello all,
On January 29th, my husband and I purchased a timeshare is Orlando, at Westgate Resort. My husband and I both had Birthdays coming up and wanted to treat ourselves. Boy, what a joke!! We booked a room at Westgate to stay in while we were in Orlando for the NFL ProBowl. Early Sunday morning (8am) we headed to the lobby of the hotel and met with Asha (sweet Indian lady which we affectionately called Grandma). She, along with her Manager Carlos quickly won us over. Well, if you call 5 hours quick! After being pressured and beat down by the hard sale, we ignorantly signed on the dotted line. After a down payment of $2000, we were officially "owners" of a 3 bedroom lock off unit on odd years. After enjoying the ProBowl we hit the road and headed back to GA. While enjoying the ride, because my husband was driving, I decided to review our purchase. After spending 5 mins on the internet we concluded that WE'VE BEEN HAD!! It didn't take me long to find TUGBBS and thank God we did!! We found out that we had a 10 day recission period!! I jumped on that like white on rice! 2 days after signing off on a bunch of lies, our recission letter was certified date stamped and mailed. 3 days later our letter was signed for. Today marks 9 days after signing and 4 days since they've received our cancellation letter. Now, to wait for our refund. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. We appreciate you all and we are truly blessed to have come across this forum. Will update. No calls received as of yet however we did receive a welcome post card in the mail today. Hahahaha.... What a shitty group of people they are.

You hit on what is probably the easiest way to get away from the hard sell. SIGN!! As long as you can cover the down payment until you get the refund, sign and get out of there.

Time’s Up

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Orlando FL
To be fair, the sales weasels had no legal obligation to verbally convey to you your contract rescission rights.
They met their legal obligation by providing you with the printed (albeit carefully hidden) notice of same.

It would not be wise to make (or to accept) any "follow up" phone calls on this matter. Verbal conversation is legally meaningless in any such contract matter; no possible good can come from talking to those people. Just be patient and count your blessings that you are not doomed to a long term captive association with the slimy likes of Wastegate.

P.S. I hope / trust that you sent the rescission correspondence to Westgate Corporate (Old Winter Garden Rd., Ocoee, FL) and not back to the resort where you actually signed the contract.

I sent the letter directly to Westgate's corporate office on Old Winter Garden Rd.

Reaction score
As a side note, “Wastegate” has a call center devoted to post-sale conversations, to basically prevent owners from rescinding. They are paid commissions for anyone who stays past the 10-day period. At that point, the owner (of all timeshares) has no legal right to exit the loan, except for death or bankruptcy.

TS

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
When judging a timeshare developer, take a look at the older properties and see how those are being maintained. There is the original Westgate, close to Westgate Lakes, and it's a dump. You can tell by the outside, which is not kept up at all. I would never buy a Westgate property. And just try to get a parking place at Lakes late at night, anywhere near your building and unit.

Which property did you tour?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a side note, “Wastegate” has a call center devoted to post-sale conversations, to basically prevent owners from rescinding. They are paid commissions for anyone who stays past the 10-day period.

I did not know this, but if it's accurate it certainly reinforces the important point that once a properly and timely contract rescission is on its' way by certified USPS mail, there is absolutely no reason to have any further verbal conversation with the developer representatives.

Just let the law do its' work and do not make (or accept) any phone calls on the matter. Period, amen.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rescinded a Wastgate purchase 2 years ago- they never even tried to contact me, but maybe they knew there was no chance I was going to change my mind, after I found TUG. Signing that contract was the best worst decision I ever made! I have taking several awesome vacations since then- thanks to timeshare RENTALS on TUG. I never would have known this site existed if not for those Wastgate weasels!

I would certainly believe that they do have people who's job it is just to save after rescission though. Thinking back after getting educated here- its amazing how good the salesman and also the CLOSING AGENT were! They convince you that the closing agent is totally on your side to make sure the salesman was totally honest about everything and get you to sign the contract all electronic. She made LOTS of small talk the whole time and flipped through quickly to make sure you were just signing and not reading anything, and told us all about the Wastegate weeks she owned, etc, etc. They are WELL TRAINED WEASELS!!

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I just want to offer congratulations to all on this cautionary tale:

• To the OP, who did an excellent job in finding TUG in time, taking the time to read through the BBS to understand her rescission rights and exercise them properly and, in the process, save her household a hefty $15,000!
  • To the TUGgers who have responded with all of their excellent advice to further guide the OP in ensuring she's done everything right and to warn her against accepting phone calls from one of the most carnivorous and predatory timeshare companies in the industry--Westgate
  • And to TUGBrian for his careful and wise stewardship of this wonderful resource called TUG.
We are all beneficiaries of the best online community on the web! Kudos to all :cheer::banana::wave:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You hit on what is probably the easiest way to get away from the hard sell. SIGN!! As long as you can cover the down payment until you get the refund, sign and get out of there.

IMHO, this is next to the worst advice I've seen on TUG.
You may have every intent to rescind, but the best laid plans of mice+men often go astray.
There is no reason to start the ball rolling down this road, unless they put a gun to your head.
When you want to leave, just say in a loud voice and repeat as needed:
-- "Do you think I am so stupid as to buy an obscenely priced TS from you when sells for [$1] on eBay."

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

It is my belief is that by far the "easiest way to get away from the hard sell" is to never attend in the first place.
It's simply not worth the gift cards or discounts --- or the aggravation. That wasted time never gets returned to you.

Last edited:

Time’s Up

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Orlando FL
When judging a timeshare developer, take a look at the older properties and see how those are being maintained. There is the original Westgate, close to Westgate Lakes, and it's a dump. You can tell by the outside, which is not kept up at all. I would never buy a Westgate property. And just try to get a parking place at Lakes late at night, anywhere near your building and unit.

Which property did you tour?

Westgate Lakes

Time’s Up

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Orlando FL
I rescinded a Wastgate purchase 2 years ago- they never even tried to contact me, but maybe they knew there was no chance I was going to change my mind, after I found TUG. Signing that contract was the best worst decision I ever made! I have taking several awesome vacations since then- thanks to timeshare RENTALS on TUG. I never would have known this site existed if not for those Wastgate weasels!

I would certainly believe that they do have people who's job it is just to save after rescission though. Thinking back after getting educated here- its amazing how good the salesman and also the CLOSING AGENT were! They convince you that the closing agent is totally on your side to make sure the salesman was totally honest about everything and get you to sign the contract all electronic. She made LOTS of small talk the whole time and flipped through quickly to make sure you were just signing and not reading anything, and told us all about the Wastegate weeks she owned, etc, etc. They are WELL TRAINED WEASELS!!

I agree! Hindsight, it's almost comical how it all played out. My husband and I have replayed that day a bunch of times and each time we recall a "gotcha" moment. Well trained indeed