• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, this is next to the worst advice I've seen on TUG.

That odd advice surely warrants being high on any such list, but now I'm intrigued...
If that was only the next to the worst, what for you holds the dubious distinction of being the worst? :shrug:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
It is my belief is that the "easiest way to get away from the hard sell" is to never attend in the first place.
It's simply not worth the gift cards --- or the aggravation. That wasted time never gets returned to you.

Well yes, of course, but advising someone who is already attending not to attend is silly. We are talking about people who can't muster up the courage, don't want to or are not capable of the gross, crude behavior so often advocated here. We are talking about people who are desperate to get away.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Theo: "[W]hat for you holds the dubious distinction of being the worst [advice]?"

The worst advice I saw on TUG (IIRC) was when someone actually advised
paying a PC to take a TS off someone's hands -- it's been a few years.
---------------------------------------------------

It doesn't take gross or crude behavior... Just a printout of resale prices from
sources (including TUG), and making it clear that nothing they say will work.
Whisper: "You can waste your time and mine, but it ain't gonn'a happen."

Bottom Line:
Hard-sell tactics (and poor advice) should not get your signature on anything.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you get trapped in a sales weasel “2 hour tour”, tell him you will buy the yearly highest-demand week they have for $1 only, with all benefits available now, and MF due next year. Most likely, you’ll be shown the door. But, if it miraculously works, you would have saved $20k and have all the benefits that resales do not get.

TS

Time’s Up

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Orlando FL
Hello all,
On January 29th, my husband and I purchased a timeshare is Orlando, at Westgate Resort. My husband and I both had Birthdays coming up and wanted to treat ourselves. Boy, what a joke!! We booked a room at Westgate to stay in while we were in Orlando for the NFL ProBowl. Early Sunday morning (8am) we headed to the lobby of the hotel and met with Asha (sweet Indian lady which we affectionately called Grandma). She, along with her Manager Carlos quickly won us over. Well, if you call 5 hours quick! After being pressured and beat down by the hard sale, we ignorantly signed on the dotted line. After a down payment of $2000, we were officially "owners" of a 3 bedroom lock off unit on odd years. After enjoying the ProBowl we hit the road and headed back to GA. While enjoying the ride, because my husband was driving, I decided to review our purchase. After spending 5 mins on the internet we concluded that WE'VE BEEN HAD!! It didn't take me long to find TUGBBS and thank God we did!! We found out that we had a 10 day recission period!! I jumped on that like white on rice! 2 days after signing off on a bunch of lies, our recission letter was certified date stamped and mailed. 3 days later our letter was signed for. Today marks 9 days after signing and 4 days since they've received our cancellation letter. Now, to wait for our refund. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. We appreciate you all and we are truly blessed to have come across this forum. Will update. No calls received as of yet however we did receive a welcome post card in the mail today. Hahahaha.... What a shitty group of people they are.

02/15/2018 UPDATE!!!!

Great news!! Our refund has posted to our account! Since we have yet to send back promotional materials our refund was reduced by $150. We were waiting to see if it would be worth it to return the tablet and leather case along with all the handouts we received. Tomorrow I will head to the post office to weigh the package and check the cost (package is heavy due to the catalogs and everything else they gave us). Wondering if i can just return case and tablet and toss the other crap?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
02/15/2018 UPDATE!!!!

Great news!! Our refund has posted to our account! Since we have yet to send back promotional materials our refund was reduced by $150. We were waiting to see if it would be worth it to return the tablet and leather case along with all the handouts we received. Tomorrow I will head to the post office to weigh the package and check the cost (package is heavy due to the catalogs and everything else they gave us). Wondering if i can just return case and tablet and toss the other crap?

Send "all" the crap back. Don't give them a reason to deny a $150 refund. Check with the USPS. They have some "flat rate" boxes. Pay the extra for signature required.

Congratulations on your refund!

Time’s Up

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Orlando FL
Send "all" the crap back. Don't give them a reason to deny a $150 refund. Check with the USPS. They have some "flat rate" boxes. Pay the extra for signature required.

Congratulations on your refund!

Will do! Thanks for the advice!!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
02/15/2018 UPDATE!!!!

There is a 'periodical' or book rate that is less than the flat-rate boxes, but in either case it's well under $150 and will provide proof that you've returned their junk.

Jim

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a 'periodical' or book rate that is less than the flat-rate boxes, but in either case it's well under $150 and will provide proof that you've returned their junk.

I'd send everything back pronto, by the least expensive means possible, but if Wastegate fails to refund the $150, that's still a relative bargain by any standard or measure to successfully and permanently escape their slimy clutches. :)

Last edited:

Time’s Up

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Orlando FL
02/15/2018 UPDATE!!!!

02/21/2018 UPDATE!!!

Hello everyone! Yesterday we received a confirmation letter regarding our refund and cancellation of the timeshare. They also enclosed a receipt for the refunded amount. I did request this confirmation in the original cancellation letter I sent during the recission period. I also mailed all promotional items back using the flat rate option and also requested signature upon receipt, all for a low $22!! Now, we will wait to see if they will refund the remaining $150. Again, thanks for all the help and advice we've received!!

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
02/21/2018 UPDATE!!!

Hello everyone! Yesterday we received a confirmation letter regarding our refund and cancellation of the timeshare. They also enclosed a receipt for the refunded amount. I did request this confirmation in the original cancellation letter I sent during the recission period. I also mailed all promotional items back using the flat rate option and also requested signature upon receipt, all for a low $22!! Now, we will wait to see if they will refund the remaining $150. Again, thanks for all the help and advice we've received!!

You have been a great student! Well done! Your success is our success. May TUG continue to be found in time to rescind by all those that find themselves caught in a timeshare salesman's web of lies, deceit and overpriced timeshare ownership. :clap:

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, you found TUG, just in time.

And, yes, you saw through the smoke and mirrors, to get to the lies and deceptions.

I've often wondered about the spouses who are married to these lying, soulless, (timeshare sales) characters (many, not all of them). I assume the spouses of these salespeople must know about their spouses lies and deceptions, but justify them, in pursuit of love or gold digging.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I've often wondered about the spouses who are married to these lying, soulless, (timeshare sales) characters (many, not all of them). I assume the spouses of these salespeople must know about their spouses lies and deceptions, but justify them, in pursuit of love or gold digging.

After attending the sales presentations and updates I've often reflected on how blessed both my husband and I were to have had jobs that didn't require us to "sell our souls". My husband looks at it a little differently. He says we aren't the type of people who would ever have taken jobs like that if we knew what was expected of us. And if we went in innocent and later learned we would be expected to "go along if we wanted to get along" as the saying goes, we wouldn't have stayed at those jobs. Trust and respect for each other's values have been key components in our marriage, 40 years next month. We both agree we couldn't be married to someone we didn't feel was trustworthy and how do you truly trust someone who routinely lies and deceives as part of their job? Neither one of us would want to be in a relationship with someone whose values we couldn't respect.

Last edited:

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
After attending the sales presentations and updates I've often reflected on how blessed both my husband and I were to have had jobs that didn't require us to "sell our souls". My husband looks at it a little differently. He says we aren't the type of people who would ever have taken jobs like that if we knew what was expected of us. And if we went in innocent and later learned we would be expected to "go along if we wanted to get along" as the saying goes, we wouldn't have stayed at those jobs. Trust and respect for each other's values have been key components in our marriage, 40 years next month. We both agree we couldn't be married to someone we didn't feel was trustworthy and how do you truly trust someone who routinely lies and deceives as part of their job? Neither one of us would want to be in a relationship with someone whose values we couldn't respect.

Very beautifully stated. Happy 40th Anniversary.

How right you are about the soul-less characters who work for the dregs of the earth. There's something to be said of the individuals who keep the company that they keep, working for these unscrupulous characters. I suspect the confluence of these characters and their employer, is a Marriage Made in Heaven.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

Do you think that crap qualifies as a periodical? Lord, I wouldn't expect that crap to pass the "bathroom reading" test, although, just thinking about Westgate is an innovative remedy to constipation.

Tresse

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
I rescinded a Wastgate purchase 2 years ago- they never even tried to contact me, but maybe they knew there was no chance I was going to change my mind, after I found TUG. Signing that contract was the best worst decision I ever made! I have taking several awesome vacations since then- thanks to timeshare RENTALS on TUG. I never would have known this site existed if not for those Wastgate weasels!

I would certainly believe that they do have people who's job it is just to save after rescission though. Thinking back after getting educated here- its amazing how good the salesman and also the CLOSING AGENT were! They convince you that the closing agent is totally on your side to make sure the salesman was totally honest about everything and get you to sign the contract all electronic. She made LOTS of small talk the whole time and flipped through quickly to make sure you were just signing and not reading anything, and told us all about the Wastegate weeks she owned, etc, etc. They are WELL TRAINED WEASELS!!

We only paid a portion of the required deposit. Does that prevent us from being able to still execute our legal right to cancel the contract?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only paid a portion of the required deposit. Does that prevent us from being able to still execute our legal right to cancel the contract?
No! Get that letter in the mail. The only restriction is the number of days allowed to rescind after signing the contract.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
No! Get that letter in the mail. The only restriction is the number of days allowed to rescind after signing the contract.
Correct, and your deposit will be returned if you rescind before the deadline. Rescind now!

Kurt