• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yesterday Bought 105k points + 2 PICs = VIP Bronze for $18,000. Rescind? Or a reasonable deal?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Everything that was a multiple of 30 is in actual months now.

Interesting. So, for reservations in March, the VIPP discount window is 59 days instead of 60? And for VIPS it’s 28 or 29 days?

Well, if it makes it easier to code, I’m ok with it.

auntiepen

Reaction score
Thats the problem, as I understand it, after bonus expires, you wont have enough grandfathered points. So if you are exactly at 1m qualifying points now, you would need to add 272k to qualify as an ungrandfathered platinum. Even at 200 per K, you need to determine whether platinum benefits, which seem to be getting ever thinner, are worth another $55K sunk into a new contract.....
I started to added my purchases this morning and it’s very confusing now. I bought Wyndham since 2017 and have them combined my contract onto one in 2019. Because I was ignorance I did not check the new combined contract afterward. As of this morning I believed they didn’t add all my contracts. So I was on the phone with Owner care twice, first got disconnected after spending a lot of times explaining to her. By the way she was very helpful. I have to call back twice and got the owner care to submit for auditing. They said it will take 7 days to get the procedure done. What should I do if they have been missing my owner points for few years? What should I ask for compensation? They told me they probably will not take my VIPP status away when I asked about the expiration date. If I’m right about my missing points then I should not have to add more points.
Thank you for all the information on this thread. It makes me aware of many things I don’t know. Thanks to @owebeewan to post the question. I’ll report back after I hear from them.
Stay safe

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started to added my purchases this morning and it’s very confusing now. I bought Wyndham since 2017 and have them combined my contract onto one in 2019. Because I was ignorance I did not check the new combined contract afterward. As of this morning I believed they didn’t add all my contracts. So I was on the phone with Owner care twice, first got disconnected after spending a lot of times explaining to her. By the way she was very helpful. I have to call back twice and got the owner care to submit for auditing. They said it will take 7 days to get the procedure done. What should I do if they have been missing my owner points for few years? What should I ask for compensation? They told me they probably will not take my VIPP status away when I asked about the expiration date. If I’m right about my missing points then I should not have to add more points.
Thank you for all the information on this thread. It makes me aware of many things I don’t know. Thanks to @owebeewan to post the question. I’ll report back after I hear from them.
Stay safe

The main reason they give you bonus points when you buy is to whet your appetite for VIP benefits once the bonus points expire. And, of course, the only way to get them back is to....buy more points! I don't know if they can retroactively post a new sale so that you would retain grandfather, it doesn't seem like an easy thing for them to do.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
Mine says temporary gold with an expiration date some of the time and some of the time it just says gold. I think it’s caused by the order in which the contracts are listed when it checks; if an old bonus contract comes up first it shows an expiration date. Not a great implementation of the system. I plain to ask them to delete the old contract and use year, which was realigned and has no points left, once the end date passes.
I'm s
Interesting. So, for reservations in March, the VIPP discount window is 59 days instead of 60? And for VIPS it’s 28 or 29 days?

Well, if it makes it easier to code, I’m ok with it.
That seems to be how it works for VIPP. 60 days is the same as 2 months.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Rescinded today! Many, many thanks to those who helped, especially @Ty1on, @bnoble and @Eric B

can you please supply a very specific reference to “telesales”? Perhaps a site or one phone? It has been asked in this thread at least three times but still it’s just a word. It’s not in the manual and I could not find it in the sticky threads.

Phone Number: (407) 626-8353

They offer cheaper rates than resorts and only sell CWA

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
My VIP status has an expiration date maybe a third of the time. I do have buckets for bonus points but losing those buckets won't affect the status. Perhaps the thinking is that bonus points are supposed to tempt you to buy up to the next level when it expires.

auntiepen

Reaction score
Phone Number: (407) 626-8353

They offer cheaper rates than resorts and only sell CWA
What’s consider a good price for CWA? In case I fall into their trap. If I call the telesales.
Another non related question. Why MF in Bali Hal villa, princeville in Kaui Hawaii is so cheap?

auntiepen

Reaction score
Try this search on eBay. Skip the ones that are WorldMark and the ones that don't list the number of points they come with; the latter could be just weeks that are at a Wyndham-managed resort and are not converted to Wyndham points.

Compare the different resorts based on the maintenance fees, consulting the link below for reference. Differences could be due to being converted weeks.

As noted by @Ty1on, program fees on resale points would be $0.64/K with a minimum of $165 annually (2021 numbers). For developer points it would be $0.66/K with a minimum of $185. If you have mixed points in an account, you pay the $0.66/K.

One other item you don't seem to be taking into account is the exchange fees for the SA timeshares.

auntiepen

Reaction score
Hi Eric,
Just looked up the MF on different resort. Do you know why MF has quite low MF fee considering it’s Hawaii location.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
What’s consider a good price for CWA? In case I fall into their trap. If I call the telesales.
Another non related question. Why MF in Bali Hal villa, princeville in Kaui Hawaii is so cheap?
Do you think you can wait until they're done auditing your contracts before you even nod at another salesman?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Hi Eric,
Just looked up the MF on different resort. Do you know why MF has quite low MF fee considering it’s Hawaii location.

Bali Hai has a low MF per 1,000 points because they set the points to stay there fairly high to reflect the desirability/demand. It’s a bit on the high side on a per week basis if you stay there, but a good deal if you own there and stay elsewhere.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay safe

auntiepen, I just sent you a private message if you know how to find those.

Italag5

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Worldmark
I've read many extensive posts similar to newbies like me buying and the answer tends to be "rescind", which I am considering.
I realize that I can buy a resale and invest the saved money over time to pay for half the MF. I usually travel in High - not premium - season.

I have 2 South Africa timeshares that cost around $250 MF annually each that combine for the PIC's.

Here's the deal:
$18,800 for 105k points in Atlanta. $910 MF. Each South Africa timeshare entered as a PIC for 105k points = 315,000 points.
They also threw in 175,000 points and 2 RCI Bonus weeks, to be used in 2 years.

I've calculated 10-year costs both ways and in the end I'm paying roughly $18,000 for VIP Bronze status and Club Pass.

Two questions:
1) If I bought Wyndham resale, would I still be able to enter my South Africa timeshares into the PIC program?
2) Is there a reasonable argument that VIP Bronze will allow me to get the properties when I want to travel over not having VIP status?

Thank you!
VIP Bronze is not worth the cost. @cbyrne1174

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
VIP Bronze is not worth the cost. @cbyrne1174

I personally don't find VIP Bronze worth the cost for me, but OP said they had really low MF deeds that would make MF rediculously low and telelsales might be able to offer it for under 10k.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I personally don't find VIP Bronze worth the cost for me, but OP said they had really low MF deeds that would make MF rediculously low and telelsales might be able to offer it for under 10k.

I would agree - with the removal of unlimited housekeeping, the VIP Bronze benefits aren’t worth the cost, but the PIC contracts might be. My PIC contracts aren’t as low MF as what OP posted, but do result in point costs about the same as Bali Hai.

Italag5

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Worldmark
It would be hard to recoup the sunk cost with a VIP Bronze ownership. Especially now that resale points can no longer be used with VIP discounts and upgrade benefits.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It would be hard to recoup the sunk cost with a VIP Bronze ownership. Especially now that resale points can no longer be used with VIP discounts and upgrade benefits.

But what @cbyrne1174 was pointing out was the potential value of the PIC contracts. If OP were to purchase from telesales, it would result in the ability to enroll two very inexpensive South African 1 BR TS in PIC Plus contracts. Given the numbers that were originally provided, the $250 annual MF plus the $89 PIC fee would give Wyndham points at a cost of ($250+$89)/105K = $3.23/K for maintenance (plus the program fee of $0.66 with Plus Partners). The VIP Bronze privileges would be unlikely to break even any time in the near future, but the PIC contracts come in at a cost of about half that of CWA points (53.5% with the program fee included). Assuming a 105K purchase, the result would be 315K at a weighted average MF of $4.58/K plus the program fee. That beats most of the deeded resorts and would have some minor VIP benefits.

I would agree that buying resale at National Harbor ($4.65/K) or one of the even lower MF resorts would very very likely be cheaper in the long run if there's a contract on the resale market available, and they do come up periodically. The point is, though, that the PIC Plus contracts have value.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
But what @cbyrne1174 was pointing out was the potential value of the PIC contracts. If OP were to purchase from telesales, it would result in the ability to enroll two very inexpensive South African 1 BR TS in PIC Plus contracts. Given the numbers that were originally provided, the $250 annual MF plus the $89 PIC fee would give Wyndham points at a cost of ($250+$89)/105K = $3.23/K for maintenance (plus the program fee of $0.66 with Plus Partners). The VIP Bronze privileges would be unlikely to break even any time in the near future, but the PIC contracts come in at a cost of about half that of CWA points (53.5% with the program fee included). Assuming a 105K purchase, the result would be 315K at a weighted average MF of $4.58/K plus the program fee. That beats most of the deeded resorts and would have some minor VIP benefits.

I would agree that buying resale at National Harbor ($4.65/K) or one of the even lower MF resorts would very very likely be cheaper in the long run if there's a contract on the resale market available, and they do come up periodically. The point is, though, that the PIC Plus contracts have value.
But only if they are able to be used and converted to points. The OP has an Rci points account. If he has been able to use points for deposit within the last 5 years, I would assume that the Pic process of actually getting the yearly points would work. If not I would be sceptical and it could end up being a big hassle every year to get those points.

Italag5

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Worldmark

No argument on the PIC contracts MF's being very low. The sunk cost of buying developer to bring in the PIC's is very costly to only Bronze VIP benefits IMHO.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many, many years ago I went to a Wyndham presentation. I don't remember much other than PIC was included in their pitch. It got to the point that my head was spinning so fast I finally told them i was too dumb to understand what they were selling and got up and left. After reading this thread it is clear to me that I did the right thing...

George