• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yellowstone National Park

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
My wife and I are considering a western road trip and it would put us at Yellowstone in mid to late May. What kind of weather should we expect as camping could be part of the equation? Thanks, Curt

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It depends on how hard the Winter has been. But when I was there the last week of May one year, it was clear and temps were cool. Roads and trails were mostly open, but there were pockets of snow in shaded areas. I think you'd be fine, as long as you planned for cooler weather. The bison had all given birth, and babies were everywhere.

yellowstone babies.jpg

FYI: Given that campgrounds are first-come-first-served, and can fill up quickly, you might consider booking a motel or timeshare in West Yellowstone, to make sure you have a place to stay. The West Entrance to Yellowstone is right at the edge of town, and provides easy access to the Park. The town itself provides plenty of restaurants, groceries, and shopping opportunities.

Dave

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Often the pass from Yellowstone to Tetons is NOT open until mid may, depending on the snow fall.

The northern gate is open year round, but the western, southern and eastern gates are closed during the winter. The western and eastern gates scheduled to open late April but that could be mid April weather permitting. It will still snow in May in the high valleys.

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
It depends on how hard the Winter has been. But when I was there the last week of May one year, it was clear and temps were cool. Roads and trails were mostly open, but there were pockets of snow in shaded areas. I think you'd be fine, as long as you planned for cooler weather. The bison had all given birth, and babies were everywhere.

View attachment 32274

FYI: Given that campgrounds are first-come-first-served, and can fill up quickly, you might consider booking a motel or timeshare in West Yellowstone, to make sure you have a place to stay. The West Entrance to Yellowstone is right at the edge of town, and provides easy access to the Park. The town itself provides plenty of restaurants, groceries, and shopping opportunities.

Dave

BEAUTIFUL picture Dave!!!!!!!!! That IS on our bucket list................ don't know how realistic it is..............

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to the Parks over Memorial Weekend, the roads just opened the week before. There was active skiing in Jackson and Jenny Lake was still frozen over. We stopped to have a picnic at one pull-off and there was 6 feet of snow on the table. Mid-May can be sketchy.

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My wife and I are considering a western road trip and it would put us at Yellowstone in mid to late May. What kind of weather should we expect as camping could be part of the equation? Thanks, Curt
This is based upon two trips so we are certainly not experts, but based upon our experiences I would expect cold camping conditions. We could see our breath inside our tent at the end of August, lol. My daughter camped in mid-May and was also had very cold camping conditions. You will need cold weather bags at a minimum.

Last edited:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI

As long as you are prepared for snow camping. The temperatures can vary widely. Last year, the last week in May had high temps ranging from 40 to 74 with lows ranging from 25 to 37. When I was last there the 2nd week of May, Yellowstone Lake was still completely frozen over and there was snow on the ground over probably 80% of the park. Winter stays a very long time in the north and often catches visitors from warmer climates by surprise.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
BEAUTIFUL picture Dave!!!!!!!!! That IS on our bucket list................ don't know how realistic it is..............

Thanks, Sue. If you look closely, I think there are about a dozen baby bison in that image. The Moms had the babies on the other side of the river from all the tourists. Rather smart of them.

Between the hundreds of bison we saw, and the huge herds of elk, there was plenty to see that year. We saw bald eagles, foxes, what I think was a bobcat, and even a few bears. The best day was when we were driving past Gibbon Meadow, and a few cars were stopped along the side of the road, including a Ranger's pickup. Anytime there is more than one or two cars stopped, there is something to be seen. So we stopped. The Ranger was standing with binoculars looking waaaaay across the meadow, where I could just make out a black figure running around. I couldn't tell what it was, until the Ranger offered me his binoculars. It was a female wolf, hunting for burrowing rodents of some type. There were a few other, smaller wolf pups watching her run from burrow to burrow. She was far enough away to not be concerned with the people, and was busy teaching her youngsters how to catch dinner. That was when I decided I needed to get my own binoculars, and I've taken them on every Yellowstone trip since. You never know what's going to be seen until you really look.

Anyone considering a Yellowstone trip should really make the effort to get there. I've been plenty, and will go again. You will never see everything, because it's always a bit different. Weather, seasons, crowds, animal populations - it's a dynamic place to visit.

Sue, if you think Yellowstone would be a nice place to visit (and it is), then you can certainly make it happen. All you need is a place to sleep and transportation. The rest will take care of itself. It can be a very affordable vacation, if you work out the details.

Dave

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
We were looking into flying into Jackson Hole when the Pandemic hit. Trying to kill two birds with one stone, (two NPs), really disappointing when that couldn't happen. Oh, but it will one day .............. we're getting hungrier and hungrier................ Thanks for the dreams. Fascinating about the wolves ...................oh, and we have two pair of binoculars that go on every vacation with us!

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Oh my, does this thread bring back memories! The most pertinent would be our first long family camping trip, when we woke up in the Fishing Bridge campground in mid-August to find an inch of snow on everything. Being from New Orleans, we hadn't brought gloves, hats or heavy coats, just jackets. I still remember how frozen my hands were, trying to help my dad lash the tarp onto the luggage rack so we could move down to Mammoth Hot Springs, where of course it was raining. That doesn't answer OP's question except to say that if you'll be camping, be prepared for any kind of weather!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The proximity to Yellowstone (And Grand Teton & the Sawtooths) is one reason we choose to live out here in this sparsely populated part of 'flyover' country. One unforgettable memory was an Elderhostel- now Road Scholar- trip to Yellowstone one January. We stayed in a motel in West, and were lectured by a geologist from U of Idaho and a naturalist from Nat'l Park Service. We were all suited up the second day and each had our own snowmobiles to toodle around West Yellowstone. The sleds are like cars there. Common. Next morning we followed our guide into the park, and went North at Madison Jct to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, stopping at Steamboat and other scenic views. It was close to dark when we got back to West. The next day it was a snow-coach trip into Old Faithful. The guide was the guy who invented the hardware to mount tracks on big Ford vans. We were inside, and warm and dry. Several Bison walked ahead of the van as we moved alongside the Firehole River. They don't 'push' the animals to save their energy. The wildlife is basically on fat reserves all winter. They are not fed by rangers. The next and last day, we doubled up on one snowmachine- Paula had turned hers in- and we rode miles and miles down to Island Park, out on the Henry's Lake, and over to Big Spring where the Henry's Fork of the Snake river emerges from the ground whole.

A winter adventure in Yellowstone is one of my favorite memories.

Jim

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
About 10 years ago we flew into Jackson Hole and explored the Tetons for 2 1/2 day. Then headed up to Yellowstone and spent 4 days exploring a massive park. Following that we spent a couple of nights in Bozeman and then on to Glacier for 3 nights, even crossing the border to visit:

https://www.glacierparkcollection.com/lodging/prince-of-wales-hotel/

Then we crossed over the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier and flew out of Kalispell. Over the whole trip I think I drove over 2,000 miles, but it is one of the best trips our family has ever taken. It lit an interest for the West in my son, who I had to explain why we weren’t bringing our golf clubs on the trip. He understood after we got out there, but we still got a round in MT at Old Works.

Last edited:

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
Thanks for all the replies as what has been said is pretty much what I thought and that is anything goes at any time that far north. I think the best idea for that time of year is to find a hotel nearby or stay in the Park lodging. Thanks, Curt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies as what has been said is pretty much what I thought and that is anything goes at any time that far north. I think the best idea for that time of year is to find a hotel nearby or stay in the Park lodging. Thanks, Curt
It isn't the latitude that makes the season iffy. It's the altitude. And be aware that park lodging is WICKED expensive. There are TONS of hotel/motels in West or Jackson. Book early. Head out early. Go on Ranger Walks. A hint on Yellowstone. It's BIG. Only 3% of it is visible from ANY road. Get out and hike.

Jim

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone considering a Yellowstone trip should really make the effort to get there. I've been plenty, and will go again. You will never see everything, because it's always a bit different. Weather, seasons, crowds, animal populations - it's a dynamic place to visit.
Yes THIS! I think more people have discovered the wonders of our National Parks again. As long as they are respectful.
It can be a very affordable vacation,
We did a 10 day road trip from SW MO through South Dakota (Via Iowa-to see family) this past summer. Took the kids (although older: 14, 18, 23) on a road trip from MY childhood to South Dakota, including a hike at Devil's Tower. Didn't make it to Yellowstone yet, but this was my family's vacations when I was a kid-between MN/WI, Montana/WY/SD with growing up in North Dakota. I've got pic of me as a kid in winter jacket at Old Faithful in May...and Mount Rushmore was a regular weekend trip. This area of the country is spectacular!!! I am a bit afraid with all the travel "influencers" now into the RV thing that the parks are going to get really soiled and spoiled though. Too many cannot or will not appreciate the natural beauty and will destroy it for that Insta shot to gain that extra like.
The sleds are like cars there
Um yeah-all us northern plain state kids know how to use a snowmobile way way before driving a car. Was running my own since I was 10...and I shudder to think of letting my own kids do that now-knowing how we'd take them onto the frozen river...LOL. This is also why I campaign harder each year I get older to move further south-have done my hard winters LOL
To the OP-if you plan on going-look into an annual pass-I got a journal/passport book as well to collect stickers/stamps of the places we visited. It gets addicting to add the stamps etc. And let's you appreciate just how many national treasures our country has.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't the latitude that makes the season iffy. It's the altitude. And be aware that park lodging is WICKED expensive. There are TONS of hotel/motels in West or Jackson. Book early. Head out early. Go on Ranger Walks. A hint on Yellowstone. It's BIG. Only 3% of it is visible from ANY road. Get out and hike.

Jim
This is true of just about any of our National Parks though-the get out and hike part :love:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Several years ago we spent 2 weeks in West Yellowstone in September just after Labor Day. Was interesting to ride our Bikes. We live at 200 feet ASL. We did fine on the flats but any hill was a killer. As we were leaving heavy snow was falling.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We lived in SE Idaho when we were in our 20s and Yellowstone was /is a favorite. One of our favorite trips was a weeklong back pack trip starting at Bechler meadow (that never never land in Idaho) and ending at old faithful. Bechler is one of dh favorite fly fishing areas and he fished it often. I am glad we were able to do that when we were young, could not even consider it now.

We have done several winter trips, 3 by snow coach and one by snowmobile. We love staying in Old faithful during the winter... it is very surreal the Bison are all over and it makes cross country skiing or snowshoeing very interesting.

In the 80's it was very easy to book rooms inside the park. We would often decide to go for the weekend and be able to book the week before. One of our favorite areas is the rustic cabins at Roosevelt. The old west horse ride and dinner are extremely memorable....hopefully the activities will resume when covid is in check. This past summer we went to old faithful, mammoth and canyon, only limited facilities were open but still lots of people. Most areas you could park in the lots as compared to the summer before when the lots were overflowing and people would park way down the road and then walk into the various thermal areas. It was really nice not have all the big tour buses. Now it is an annual trip because we can drive to it and look forward to 2 weeks in August.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Winter in Yellowstone!
In 2014 we booked a t/s week at Worldmark over New Year's. It was bitterly cold that week with temperatures hovering in the below 20 degree Farenheit range. But just about every day was bright and sunny.

The highlight of that week was a full day tour on a snowcoach to Yellowstone Falls. Our small group included 2 pre-teen girls who were avid wildlife spotters which helped us to see otters, buffalo, swans and fox. Our guide added an extra hike to Norris Geyser basin because she felt our group was hardy enough to manage the trek.

We had visited Yellowstone in winter by snowmobile one day during a previous ski trip to Big Sky. We made it to Old Faithful that time, but IMHO the tour via snowcoach was a far superior experience.

P1020089.JPG

Attachments

• P1020179.JPG
    P1020179.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 5

Dollie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to Yellowstone many times. Twice in the winter, a really unique experience. I've lost count of how many times in the summer/fall. Always finding something new to explore each time. The last winter trip we did was from Bozeman, staying at Mammoth Hot Springs. Pictures: Yellowstone in Winter - WernerG (smugmug.com) . We had our snowshoes with us and did quite a bit of exploring as well as guided tours. We spent one night at the Snowlodge by Old Faithful. (Old Faithful Lodge is not open in the winter.) And the last summer trip was part of a larger trip that included the Tetons and Park City, Utah. Pictures: Yellowstone & Teton National Parks & Park City Area, Utah - WernerG (smugmug.com) . If you view the slideshows you will see pictures and descriptions.

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
Any time of the year...Yellowstone is breath taking! We also did the winter snowmobile trip into Yellowstone, on a tour from Michigan and enjoyed every minute. Rented all gear there and even had hand warmers on the machines! My first time on a snow machine and it is more difficult than one would think. None the less, it was a most marvelous trip: we had a great guide, saw wildlife, and the people were terrific. Since I was usually the last person, one couple stayed near the end for me - and when we rested he smoked the most aromatic apple pipe tobacco! In the wild, it was like being around a camp fire!! Everyone should take that trip if possible. Being there 4 days also gave us time to see everything and then we booked time at Big Sky to ski afterwards! Simply glorious!!!! We were there on holiday for 8 days but one could definitely stay longer - wish we did.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes THIS! I think more people have discovered the wonders of our National Parks again. As long as they are respectful.
We did a 10 day road trip from SW MO through South Dakota (Via Iowa-to see family) this past summer. Took the kids (although older: 14, 18, 23) on a road trip from MY childhood to South Dakota, including a hike at Devil's Tower. Didn't make it to Yellowstone yet, but this was my family's vacations when I was a kid-between MN/WI, Montana/WY/SD with growing up in North Dakota. I've got pic of me as a kid in winter jacket at Old Faithful in May...and Mount Rushmore was a regular weekend trip. This area of the country is spectacular!!! I am a bit afraid with all the travel "influencers" now into the RV thing that the parks are going to get really soiled and spoiled though. Too many cannot or will not appreciate the natural beauty and will destroy it for that Insta shot to gain that extra like.
Um yeah-all us northern plain state kids know how to use a snowmobile way way before driving a car. Was running my own since I was 10...and I shudder to think of letting my own kids do that now-knowing how we'd take them onto the frozen river...LOL. This is also why I campaign harder each year I get older to move further south-have done my hard winters LOL
To the OP-if you plan on going-look into an annual pass-I got a journal/passport book as well to collect stickers/stamps of the places we visited. It gets addicting to add the stamps etc. And let's you appreciate just how many national treasures our country has.
For about the past 10 years we have observed real campground etiquette issues, as well as hiking etiquette issues. We've had people peeing in their campsites instead of using the restrooms (not cool at all when they walk away from their tent and get nice and close to ours, ugh), people walking through our campsite at all hours of day or night, and on the trails my climbing kids regularly have to deal with human poop on the trails to the point where the climbers host "clean up" parties to deal with it, and I am running into more large groups of hikers playing amplified music while hiking etc. We are moving away from the National Parks which are getting loved to death and actively looking for places a bit more off of the beaten path, or if we do go to the National Parks hiking is usually ok if the trail is steep, or once you get out a few miles. Most of the casual visitors only want to see what they have seen on Instagram and usually aren't willing to exert a lot of effort to get there. I suspect that there will be a glut of barely used RV's in a few years because these folks are doing it because it's a novelty and looks like a lot of fun on IG, but what they don't see is the effort required to get there. And no one shows the work that you have to do once you get home, lol. That is definitely the worst day of camping. :D

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are moving away from the National Parks which are getting loved to death and actively looking for places a bit more off of the beaten path, or if we do go to the National Parks hiking is usually ok if the trail is steep, or once you get out a few miles.
That sounds so bad-and afraid it will be worse now.
One of the great advantages of going with pandemic, right after things started slowly opening back up was the complete lack of crowds, clean trails etc. It was lovely! We happened to go to Devil's Tower at the time when the parking lot at the base was being redone-so to get to the base you had to do the hike up first. Stunning views as you go up! But I'm sure it kept some people away-as while not hard-still took us ~1 to hour and half.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That sounds so bad-and afraid it will be worse now.
One of the great advantages of going with pandemic, right after things started slowly opening back up was the complete lack of crowds, clean trails etc. It was lovely! We happened to go to Devil's Tower at the time when the parking lot at the base was being redone-so to get to the base you had to do the hike up first. Stunning views as you go up! But I'm sure it kept some people away-as while not hard-still took us ~1 to hour and half.
Right now trail difficulty is the only thing that works out for us. 1000' vertical gain or trails over 3 miles seems to thin the crowds. And you are still with them at the beginning and when you return. It's just a big change from the past. We never had "the place to ourselves" but you could avoid crowds as long as you didn't go on holidays or even some summer weeks. Now it's just as crazy off-season. We have found some really nice trails by looking for less visited places.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Having grown up near Glacier in Montana and went to college in Bozeman, the saying is that Montana (and Yellowstone) has two seasons, winter and July. While you might find nice weather in May, it is one of wettest and overcast months of the year. So it is best to expect damp/snowy and cold in Yellowstone. For off-season travel, the fall tends to be nicer. (The same is also true for the mountains in Colorado).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk