• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yankees re-write history??

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure, they have a lot of history as does Yankee Stadium, but I just lost a whole lot of respect for the organization. In introducing a family member of Mickey Mantle they (with good reason) were reciting all sorts of reasons that made him a great player. The PA announcer then said that (and I forget the year mentioned but I think it was sometime in the 50's) Mantle was the last major leaguer to win the Tripple Crown.

Now I know I wasn't alive in 1967, but I'm quite certain that there was a player named Carl Yastrzemski who won it that year.

26weeker

TUG Member
Reaction score
djs, as a yankee fan we take everything john sterling says (one half of the m.c. duo, along with michael kay the blowhard) with a grain of salt. after listening to him all these years you realize the man doesn't let the facts get in the way of a good story. theeeeeeee man's a homer.:cheer: :clap:

Reaction score
I was so happy to see this, as we were watching last night, and the first words out of my mouth were "Did he just say Mantle was the last player to win the Triple Crown? Carl Yastrzemski won it in '67!"

Now, that being said, it pained me to even utter those words, since, despite being in Boston, I am a Yankees fan and have never been a Yaz fan! :D

Other than that, the Yankee Stadium ceremony was really something to see.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I do believe I heard the description of Mantle as described, it may be that sterling may have just mispoken. In looking up the Triple Crown in Wikipedia I saw mention of a ""Major League Triple Crown" where a player leads both the AL and NL in BA, HR and RBI. Mikey Mantle was the last player to do this; though I don't think it's a "actual" award.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I do believe I heard the description of Mantle as described, it may be that sterling may have just mispoken. In looking up the Triple Crown in Wikipedia I saw mention of a ""Major League Triple Crown" where a player leads both the AL and NL in BA, HR and RBI. Mikey Mantle was the last player to do this; though I don't think it's a "actual" award.
The chart shows Mickey Mantle as the last player to win the "Major League Triple Crown" for batting, BUT in the paragraph preceding the chart states, "The most recent Major League Triple Crown Winners were Carl Yastrzemski in 1967 for hitting..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_crown_(baseball)#Major_League_Triple_Crown
Roberto Clemente had a .357 BA in 1967, to top Yaz's .326 (though Yaz did not outright win the AL HR crown, Harmon Killebrew tied Yaz with 44 HRs).

Last edited:

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
The chart shows Mickey Mantle as the last player to win the "Major League Triple Crown" for batting, BUT in the paragraph preceding the chart states, "The most recent Major League Triple Crown Winners were Carl Yastrzemski in 1967 for hitting..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_crown_(baseball)#Major_League_Triple_Crown

I noticed that too, I think that part is a mistake on wikipedia's part as Yaz didn't lead the majors in all three categories when he won the AL Triple Crown.

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
The PA announcer then said that ... Mantle was the last major leaguer to win the Tripple Crown.

The guy just made a mistake. He's human- maybe me meant to say the last Yankee to win the triple crown?

The announcer wasn't trying to take any advantage personally by making this statement, or trying to disresect other players.

Do you lose respect for everyone who makes these all too human errors?