• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2015 Thread] Wyndham VIP and Resale

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless they end up with exactly 1,000,000 VIP eligible points, they would actually be getting an additional 20 guest confirmations, not 5. At 1,001,000 points, you get 30 guest confirmations. So 20 guest confirmations per year, if you use them, is worth $2,000 a year.

And that is where the deal has merit.

Also the difference between platinum and gold at a million points is more than 150 000 points. The Platinum turns it into 2 million where gold is just over 1.5 million.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
And that is where the deal has merit.

Also the difference between platinum and gold at a million points is more than 150 000 points. The Platinum turns it into 2 million where gold is just over 1.5 million.

My math is off, but the point is the same. The purchase can make sense but only if the op pushes the account to the fullest.

20 additional guest confirms are worth $2000 to me, but with only a million or so points the op will have trouble using them all, which makes them worthless.

Regarding the the value of a 50% discount vs 35%; unless the op is already doing the cancel rebook and upgrade trick all the time, Platinum wont save him much, if anything.

Unless we have another megarenter in training, I would keep the $20000 and enjoy the Gold benefits.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not trust them with a 205 ft pole with a cattle prode on the end seeing is beleiving make sure of two things I price per 1000 between $130 and 150 and u end up with one contract for 1 million points pay no more than 16000 plus cloaing

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
My math is off, but the point is the same. The purchase can make sense but only if the op pushes the account to the fullest.

20 additional guest confirms are worth $2000 to me, but with only a million or so points the op will have trouble using them all, which makes them worthless.

Regarding the the value of a 50% discount vs 35%; unless the op is already doing the cancel rebook and upgrade trick all the time, Platinum wont save him much, if anything.

Unless we have another megarenter in training, I would keep the $20000 and enjoy the Gold benefits.

Right it all depends on how one uses their account. But the jump from gold to platinum can be a good one. The OP and others have the correct numbers.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
unless the op is already doing the cancel rebook and upgrade trick all the time

Even if this is true, I'm not sure I would plan a major purchase around the continued success of cancel-rebook, based on what folks have been reporting.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if this is true, I'm not sure I would plan a major purchase around the continued success of cancel-rebook, based on what folks have been reporting.

This is an excellent point. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. VIP benefits can be diluted or changed at will.

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
I think what Adam is saying is that if he negotiates it as an "upgrade" - for example, they take in the current points and roll it along with the additional new developer points into a larger CWA deed for example - they will all count as developer points. The problem is, I don't believe they'll do this (called an equity swap or some such) with points that were acquired on the resale market.

However, times are a'changing, as we've seen with Ovation and current Wyndham resale prices, so perhaps this is being quietly test-marketed in a couple of locations.

Does Wyndham even do equity swaps for anything other than CWA anymore? I got a call from Wyndham a few weeks ago saying the VIP levels would be increasing and this would be my last to upgrade my membership before the levels increased. I have 4 contracts grandfathered gold at 588k points and another two resale that get me to 868 K. I told him I would be interested if I could do an equity swap for a resort with a low maintenance fee. He offered to replace two of my gold contracts with CWA. I told him the CWA maintenance fees were not low enough, but that was all he kept coming back to.

He would not do anything with the two resale contracts, but insisted that with a 142k "new" purchase of CWA, they would be counted towards getting me to VIP platinum. I was very skeptical that this would work; otherwise why would they not be eligible to swap for CWA? Anyway, the conversation deteriorated as he kept insisting he had met my criteria for upgrading my account and kept trying to walk me through the numbers. I told him I would need a few weeks to talk it over with my husband and decide. He said the deal would only be available until the next day and I said so be it.

I am not sure if I will get a different result by trying to contact Corporate Sales. Has anyone done that lately?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Ensure that it is written that you are Permanent Platinum and state actual point values and which contracts are considered developer purchases. If they won't include that then NO. You could hand write it on the contract and have them sign and date the additional text.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Wyndham even do equity swaps for anything other than CWA anymore? I got a call from Wyndham a few weeks ago saying the VIP levels would be increasing and this would be my last to upgrade my membership before the levels increased. I have 4 contracts grandfathered gold at 588k points and another two resale that get me to 868 K. I told him I would be interested if I could do an equity swap for a resort with a low maintenance fee. He offered to replace two of my gold contracts with CWA. I told him the CWA maintenance fees were not low enough, but that was all he kept coming back to.

He would not do anything with the two resale contracts, but insisted that with a 142k "new" purchase of CWA, they would be counted towards getting me to VIP platinum. I was very skeptical that this would work; otherwise why would they not be eligible to swap for CWA? Anyway, the conversation deteriorated as he kept insisting he had met my criteria for upgrading my account and kept trying to walk me through the numbers. I told him I would need a few weeks to talk it over with my husband and decide. He said the deal would only be available until the next day and I said so be it.

I am not sure if I will get a different result by trying to contact Corporate Sales. Has anyone done that lately?
Assuming telesales called you, the answer is yes they will only trade you into a CWA contract.
If you go to a sales site they can do a equity trade into a deeded contract or a CWA contract.
Make sure you look closely at the cost of an equity trade.

Personally I would do my negotiating looking at the cost of buying a separate contract first.
Then look at an equity trade deal into one contract for the same price.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

He'd have to do a lot of weekend rentals to use that many GCs with one million points.

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
I think what Adam is saying is that if he negotiates it as an "upgrade" - for example, they take in the current points and roll it along with the additional new developer points into a larger CWA deed for example - they will all count as developer points. The problem is, I don't believe they'll do this (called an equity swap or some such) with points that were acquired on the resale market.

However, times are a'changing, as we've seen with Ovation and current Wyndham resale prices, so perhaps this is being quietly test-marketed in a couple of locations.
This would be WONDERFUL and put a lot of resale buyers into the market for VIP levels.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
This would be WONDERFUL and put a lot of resale buyers into the market for VIP levels.

Agreed. I’d be all over that. I’d buy 105,000 points if it made my 800,000 eligible towards VIP. I would actually consider doing CWA for that. That would more then put me in founders status. Alas, I doubt it will happen. It would be a big boost in sales though. Might tick off more then a few VIPs who paid six figures for VIP though.

Last edited:

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI you are commenting on a thread from 2015. So much has changed that the responses you are quoting and responding to are no longer valid due to these many changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk