• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham suspending loan payments

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham suspends loan payments until July 1st. Its a great start lets hope they reach out and look at maintenance fees.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Wyndham suspends loan payments until July 1st. Its a great start lets hope they reach out and look at maintenance fees.

I’m sure they are working on it. They have to work with over 200 HOAs to make that happen though.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has to be some hardship relief on maintenance fees. If not many will walk away ultimately costing all owners $$

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
I think a lot of people underestimate the difficulty of adjusting Maintenance Fees for temporary events. Maintenance fees aren't just some arbitrary number. They're what the Board has decided is needed to pay all the bills involved in maintaining a property and putting a sufficient amount away for future known longer term expenses. There may be differences in various states., but usually these amounts have to be approved by a majority of ownership interests, not just by the Board of Directors.

I think that if any relief is granted it would most likely be in a reduction in next year's fees. Or a smaller increase than would otherwise be needed. Remember the Maintenance fees aren't a profit center, they are the amount that owners have to pay to keep their property up.

Not exactly the same, but a couple of years ago, those owners who had their accounts frozen while waiting for Wyndham to conduct an audit of their points accounts had to keep paying the MF's, even though they couldn't use the resorts for varying amounts of time. I think it was months in some cases.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people underestimate the difficulty of adjusting Maintenance Fees for temporary events. Maintenance fees aren't just some arbitrary number. They're what the Board has decided is needed to pay all the bills involved in maintaining a property and putting a sufficient amount away for future known longer term expenses. There may be differences in various states., but usually these amounts have to be approved by a majority of ownership interests, not just by the Board of Directors.

I think that if any relief is granted it would most likely be in a reduction in next year's fees. Or a smaller increase than would otherwise be needed. Remember the Maintenance fees aren't a profit center, they are the amount that owners have to pay to keep their property up.

Not exactly the same, but a couple of years ago, those owners who had their accounts frozen while waiting for Wyndham to conduct an audit of their points accounts had to keep paying the MF's, even though they couldn't use the resorts for varying amounts of time. I think it was months in some cases.
Owners with frozen accounts were mostly VIP mega renters that played the system for what it was giving at many non VIP owners expense. The hardship relief on maintenance fees Im talking about is for the non VIP owners using for personal use only and not renting millions of resale points with VIP benifits.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
That's another nice move for Wyndham to suspend mortgage payments a couple months. Must be easy enough because they must be controlled by a single finance entity at Wyndham corporate. And of course they'll amortize the amount due into the remaining life of the loan probably at the same (high) interest rate so not loosing anything in the long run.

I too think it would be a nightmare to get hundreds of HOAs to waive or reduce or suspend maintenance fees and then pass that reduction along through the Wyndham corporate process. I think all Wyndham does in the case of maintenance fees is be a 'middle man' centralizing the collection of the fees and passing them on to the HOAs that manage the properties. I doubt that could happen.

Bob

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's another nice move for Wyndham to suspend mortgage payments a couple months. Must be easy enough because they must be controlled by a single finance entity at Wyndham corporate. And of course they'll amortize the amount due into the remaining life of the loan probably at the same (high) interest rate so not loosing anything in the long run.

I too think it would be a nightmare to get hundreds of HOAs to waive or reduce or suspend maintenance fees and then pass that reduction along through the Wyndham corporate process. I think all Wyndham does in the case of maintenance fees is be a 'middle man' centralizing the collection of the fees and passing them on to the HOAs that manage the properties. I doubt that could happen.

Bob
Who controls HOA's. If many owners walk away what kind of nightmare is that going to be for Wyndham and all owners. VIP owners would lose the most with increase of maintenance fees. Its easy for many that have nothing or very little invested to walk away. Not so easy for someone with six figures invested to walk away.

bryjake

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access, Midtown 45
Where is this anchored and published?
Is there a form or process to qualify for this?
Is is all loans?

This is good information to share in the forum

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Wyndham has an actual internet site where they publish what they are doing for the COVID-19 national emergency. IMHO, it's a better resource then speculative postings here, though I do believe it is completely appropriate when folks post that there is new information available, potentially including quotes of what that information is. I haven't seen anything from Wyndham re: an across the board suspension of payments and would be a bit surprised if they did that. Here's the part of the Wyndham site that discusses financial assistance:

Right now, all it says is:

Financial Options to Support You
We are committed to making sure you can maintain your ownership through the crisis so that your vacations are available once you are ready to start traveling again. Please email AccountResolutionTeam@wyn.com to discuss available options.

The overall Wyndham COVID-19 information site is at:

bryjake

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access, Midtown 45
Thanks everyone for further anchoring this topic
I continue to be very appreciative of this forum
It is on my visit a couple of times a day routine

Being a more informed has helped me to have a deeper appreciation of Wyndham

This forum is key to sharing anchored Wyndham facts
I do enjoy being a more educated owner who can deflect sales lies and misrepresentation

I find it helpful share where details are anchored

Love the Tug forum!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners with frozen accounts were mostly VIP mega renters that played the system for what it was giving at many non VIP owners expense. The hardship relief on maintenance fees Im talking about is for the non VIP owners using for personal use only and not renting millions of resale points with VIP benifits.

Not at non owners expense. Just seized the opportunity to make a timeshare profitable. No one should hate on that.

Wyndham does not want to foreclose on the timeshares so they are better off to defer payment. A better option for the people would to let people out of their contracts.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not at non owners expense. Just seized the opportunity to make a timeshare profitable. No one should hate on that.

Wyndham does not want to foreclose on the timeshares so they are better off to defer payment. A better option for the people would to let people out of their contracts.
No hating here. Just calling it like I see it. I am all for seizing the opportunity and making a timeshare work. Been doing just that for several years buying and flipping the deeds after all points have been used. It works great for the way I travel. When I didn't rent from a VIP for less then the cost of my maintenance fees.

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Here’s a question: if resorts/hotels with under 500 employees, even if owned by a single entity, are eligible for the Payroll Protection benefit provided by the US Treasury, they will get 2 months salary/benefits for all of those employees (they don’t lay-off) in the form of a forgivable loan. I would think salaries are the largest expense for each resort. Shouldn’t this reduce their expenses significantly for the two months they are relieved of this burden by the Federal Government?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Are the resort employees furloughed? That should provide relief in next year's maintenance fees. They could also push back unit updates at all resorts by a year or so (not charge a reserve fund for 2021), but they aren't going to be able to do anything about this year's MF other than not charge late fees or foreclose on people while they have a hardship but still want their ownership. They can't directly lower your maintenance fees, but they can allow you to pay late and catch up on payments easier by keeping next year's MF low by keeping employees furloughed while they are shut down and not having a reserve fund for 2021.