• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Stock Up Big

thomas660

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed in the business section of our local paper that Wyndham stock is up 1,311% over the last 3 years. They must be doing something right. Perhaps we Wyndham timeshare owners are investing in Wyndham in the wrong way.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Is that because they just about went bankrupt in 09? Although it is the highest now that it has ever been, would have been nice to ride that up :)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What was the stocking trading at 3 years ago ?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Under $3 in fall of 2008

Closed Friday at $44.15.

Yikes, I wasn't involved then and glad I wasn't.

wyn 5 yr chart mar 11 2012.JPG

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband usually reads the transcripts of the quarterly earnings conference calls. The timeshare division has not been a drag on earnings, if anything it's been a positive. The analyst always ask about the WAAM program, it's considered an excellent idea by the financial community.

mshatty

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that because they just about went bankrupt in 09? Although it is the highest now that it has ever been, would have been nice to ride that up :)

No bankruptcy in 2009. Cendant split its divisions into stand alone companies. Wyndham Worldwide was one of them.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
*Transfer Fee $100 to $299.
*Guest Certificate $29 to $129.
*40% Commission to HOA and Owners for Rentals of timeshare intervals (my VRI resort's commissioon is 25%).
*Housekeeping fees for short stays (their rental division takes that as another fee to owner or HOA).
*Purchasing Fixed Week units after HOA forecloses for $1 per deed WHEN Wyndham needs/asks for inventory and NO SALES allowed to current HOA owners (Wyndham gets to pick weeks, too).
*Sales of coffee for $2.50 per pack (and the other unit supplies) after YOUR shrinking "Welcome" --- anyone seen popcorn or hot chocolate or tea bags lately?

Last edited:

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
*Transfer Fee $100 to $299.
*Guest Certificate $29 to $129.
*40% Commission to HOA and Owners for Rentals of timeshare intervals (my VRI resort's commissioon is 25%).
*Housekeeping fees for short stays (their rental division takes that as another fee to owner or HOA).
*Purchasing Fixed Week units after HOA forecloses for $1 per deed WHEN Wyndham needs/asks for inventory and NO SALES allowed to current HOA owners (Wyndham gets to pick weeks, too).
*Sales of coffee for $2.50 per pack (and the other unit supplies) after YOUR shrinking "Welcome" --- anyone seen popcorn or hot chocolate or tea bags lately?

And don't get me started on the issue of who is sleeping in my Fixed Week units this winter.

Linda:

I believe most of the payments that you refer to above (except the 40% commission that does go to Wyndham corporate) actually go to the non-profit VOA trust or to the individual HOAs - and not to Corporate Wyndham. In other words, these payments don't go to helping Wyndham's bottom line, instead they support the non-profit VOA trust and the HOAs that we all are part of. I agree that there are issues that we can complain about regarding Wyndham, but some of the stuff (above) actually may benefit us owners because it helps keep maintenance and VOA fees lower.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Linda:

I believe most of the payments that you refer to above (except the 40% commission that does go to Wyndham corporate) actually go to the non-profit VOA trust or to the individual HOAs - and not to Corporate Wyndham. In other words, these payments don't go to helping Wyndham's bottom line, instead they support the non-profit VOA trust and the HOAs that we all are part of. I agree that there are issues that we can complain about regarding Wyndham, but some of the stuff (above) actually may benefit us owners because it helps keep maintenance and VOA fees lower.

There are too few HOAs which are independant of Wyndham controlled employees. I have been to HOA yearly meetings - most have 3 members, of which 2 are Wyndham employees and 1 might be an owner picked by the Wyndham employees.

As for the Wyndham points HKs fees going to the HOAs, do you think that really happens? If so, how much of that money is transferred and when? Per reservation, monthly, yearly? How is the VIP program (a sales program) reimbursing those fees to the HOA?

And Guest Certificate fees? $29 to $49 and 3 months later, to $99 --- these are the online generated GCs by the owner? That function on the computer should have been paid for YEARs ago .... if they are charging me for the GROSSY, heavy grade paper --- that is a pure marketing cost which should have been reduced in one of the first dollar saving moves.

As for all those "HangTag booths" for the parking passes, the HOAs should be receiving rent for those offices/booths in the lobby along with parking fees for the sales employees' cars and toll calls made by their staff. I know I would not have a sales organization roosting in my lobby IF I owned the resort --- wait, I do OWN (part owner at least) at the resorts which were sold out YEARS ago.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
*Transfer Fee $100 to $299. This fee is a Wyndham kept fee.
*Guest Certificate $29 to $129.Another fee to Wyndham.
*40% Commission to HOA and Owners for Rentals of timeshare intervals (my VRI resort's commissioon is 25%). No commission fees go to the HOA - again a Wyndham corporation. Expedia/Hotwire has there own commission structure.
*Housekeeping fees for short stays (their rental division takes that as another fee to owner or HOA).Ever see this as a line item TO the HOAs? either for rentals or from the points owners?
*Purchasing Fixed Week units after HOA forecloses for $1 per deed WHEN Wyndham needs/asks for inventory and NO SALES allowed to current HOA owners (Wyndham gets to pick weeks, too) I know the HOAs have all the expenses for foreclosing on the units and has to absorb the unpaid MFs. I know THAT is the contracted sales price for each fixed week at 2 of the resorts. I was told by the resort manager the terms of the sales and NO SALE to owners as a condition of Wyndham BUYING the inventory as Wyndham needs it. .
*Sales of coffee for $2.50 per pack (and the other unit supplies) after YOUR shrinking "Welcome" --- anyone seen popcorn or hot chocolate or tea bags lately?Yes, this is a direct savings at the resorts.

In answer to massvacationeer... my answers in red...

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Linda:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. This is totally about pleasing the Wyndham corporate shareholders and sticking it to the Wyndham timeshare owners.

Here's the problem... year after year, they have to keep coming up with new ideas to soak the owners. What's next?

Explorer7

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed in the business section of our local paper that Wyndham stock is up 1,311% over the last 3 years. They must be doing something right. Perhaps we Wyndham timeshare owners are investing in Wyndham in the wrong way.

The stock is doing well and has experienced recent increase, however the $3 quoted from 2008 was a very brief spike down when like so many other valuable stocks WYN dropped to almost nothing during the market crash of fall/winter 2008.
Very shortly before the stock took a sharp spike down to $3 per share it was actually valued at over $30 per share and quickly returned to over $30 per share when the markets bounced back. That’s where the 1000 per cent claim of increased stock price comes from.
I chuckled out loud during an owner update in 2009 when the salesman used the 1000 percent increase in stock price as a selling point while leaving out the part where the 1000 percent spike down in value had taken place. Over that 1 year period the stock had actually lost value by a few dollars per share.

If you look at a 5 year chart of WYN stock you will see clearly in the chart a deep spike at the end of 2008 then the bounce back up.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The stock is doing well and has experienced recent increase, however the $3 quoted from 2008 was a very brief spike down when like so many other valuable stocks WYN dropped to almost nothing during the market crash of fall/winter 2008.
Very shortly before the stock took a sharp spike down to $3 per share it was actually valued at over $30 per share and quickly returned to over $30 per share when the markets bounced back. That’s where the 1000 per cent claim of increased stock price comes from.
I chuckled out loud during an owner update in 2009 when the salesman used the 1000 percent increase in stock price as a selling point while leaving out the part where the 1000 percent spike down in value had taken place. Over that 1 year period the stock had actually lost value by a few dollars per share.

If you look at a 5 year chart of WYN stock you will see clearly in the chart a deep spike at the end of 2008 then the bounce back up.

Thanks, Ira. You are their worst nightmare - an educated consumer! :)

persia

Reaction score
I only bought 100 shares at the $3 price, I really thought they were tanking and didn't want to gamble more, had I known they were going to $44, I would have bought 100,000. Ah well, hindsight....