• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Royal Sea Cliff Purchase

cfnobis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, WLR, ROYAL SEACLIFF
A co-worker has been trying to sell her timeshare at this property for about a year now with no luck. She approached me the other day and indicated she would sign the property over to me once she has paid off the loan. I do not know much about Wyndham as I own several Starwood Properties. I have now done some research on Wyndham but cannot find much on the property except for what is on their website and Tripadvisor.
The purchase is for 154,000 points at a cost of about $45 a month. However, upon looking at their website, it appears it takes 189,000 points to stay a week. This seems odd to me.
Does any body have some insight for me on this property or advise on the purchase.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... The purchase is for 154,000 points at a cost of about $45 a month. However, upon looking at their website, it appears it takes 189,000 points to stay a week. ...

Points are not points under Wyndham. That is step 1 of the learning curve for Wyndham. You would be getting what are considered re-sale points. These are not eligable for VIP status. That means you pay about double what a Platium VIP member pays for points usage. Please see other threads discussing the value or lack thereof for VIP members. 154,000 points is sufficient, at this point, for getting getting a week or more in non-peak periods. For example, fall/winter at Myrtle Beach are well within this point limit. The price is right if the morgage gets paid off prior to transfer.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
contrary to what rrlongwell says..In the resale marketplace, points are points in the Wyndham system...Unless you are buying into Wyndham to stay at your home resort at high demamd times, it dosent make any difference where your points are based..dont be confused by the VIP ownerships and their value or lack of it...That discussion doesnt apply to you or your friend

The reason the points dont exactly match the points requirements at the resort is probably because the person that bought this from the developer either wouldnt or couldnt spend the money for more, and the salesman put a package together that he could sell...There are enough points here that you could have a nice vacation at the home resort every 2 years

One of the beauties of the Wyndham system is that there are lots of resorts
and If you accept my premise that points are points consider this...154000 points will get you a week in a two bedroom unit at a lot of Wyndham properties and your cost of $45/month or $540/year is quite good...about $3.50 per 1000 points.

If you dont want it, there are a lot of Wyndham owners here that would take it . But I think your friend would be best advised to sell it herself on ebay or redweek...she could get a better price than nothing

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, as usual, has good advice.

One thought, you should clarify whether this a biennial contract or an annual contract?

Based on the maintenance fees, I'm not sure.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are not points under Wyndham. That is step 1 of the learning curve for Wyndham. You would be getting what are considered re-sale points. These are not eligable for VIP status. That means you pay about double what a Platium VIP member pays for points usage. Please see other threads discussing the value or lack thereof for VIP members.

I am confused, did I miss where she asked about VIP status? ALso, we are Platinum VIP and the discount is only within 60 days of check in and only based on availability. Therefore to make the two statements "points are not points" and "you pay about double what a platinum VIP owner pays for points useage" seem made to deliberately turn the original poster off of Wyndham.

To the OP: Wyndham has its good and bad points like all timeshares. Right now good thing is that you are doing your research first and then if you decide that it is right for you, the purchase price is right. Since you already own a timeshare that is half of the knowledge battle. If you don't already own points, then this may round off your t/s portfolio nicely. However, one of the main benefits of owning a points based system is to have the ability to take more vacations for shorter periods of time. If this is a key benefit for you, then be aware that with Wyndham you can rack up additional fees when using your points in this way through transaction fees and housekeeping fees. They allow you so many transactions and housekeeping points per year per amt of pts you own. What they give you is usually enough to cover the traditional use of the timeshare - once a year usage booked and not changed.

Good Luck!

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that with prudent planning, the extra fees (housekeeping and Transaction fees) can usually be avoided. non VIP owners get enough of these free for normal use.