• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Privileges: new Wyndham VIP Levels starting late 2020 [Merged]

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
I know the sales weasels lie!!! But when they share info without trying to sell me something, I get to where I can’t tell if they are really lying or are they just lost in the previous lies.

Went to an update today at Emerald Grande, Destin. Update part was normal except for where the presenter mentioned the new VIP levels that were announced (apparently only to sales) on 5/1/19 effective in 2020. In the individual meeting, I received a bit more detail.
300K for Emerald (15% in the discount window)
400K for Gold
700k for Platinum
1000K for Diamond
1400K for Titanium
Our salesperson even pulled out the note they received and flashed it in front of our eyes. It looked like it would be shared with Owners on 5/16/19. I had already had a bit of a contentious conversation with the weasel and was unable to snap a picture of the letter. I also was not given time to read any of the FAQs.

I am Gold so I asked about how this would impact me.
- Would I now be 'new' Platinum? Only if I bought 64K points.
- Well, what about my current Gold benefits? I’d be Grandfathered.
- Are New Platinum VIP benefits, at the new lower point level the same benefits as current day Platinum owners? Don’t know.

At this point we were lost in the weeds and the salesperson seemed lost as well. We never saw an option for buying more points and were rushed off to gifting. It was an odd ending to the update. Unless they were just totally BSing us, we are going to start hearing and seeing more on this change. Hopefully those attending update sessions in the coming days can gather a bit more info on this change.

Side note. The part of our individual session that got contentious was when the salesperson tried to tell me I'd missed the open enrollment period earlier in the year. What open enrollment period? For what new benefits? 5 things I was told. 1. New Perks (I have perks), 2. Club Pass changes (ie. 10 months for WorldMark reservations), 3. New Rewards Card (they wanted me to apply for a new Rewards card, I'm not doing that), 4. Plus Partners (have that, never saw any value for using) and 5. WWE or World Wide Exchange (I never understood what this was about and I'm sure it's a scam of some sort).

I always enjoy reading about updates. Thought I'd share this one, as odd as it was. The breakfast was good, BTW.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
"The breakfast was good, BTW."

most important part IMHO

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anything a sales rep is telling you is almost certainly not true. Then again, I won't be surprised if/when Wyndham creates new (more expensive) tiers. Selling to existing owners is easier and more lucrative than selling to new people, and tiered systems like VIP are great at instilling FOMO in potential customers.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the loss of value for a VIP with the ending of cancel and rebook as it was sold to become a VIP?

GRapuser

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai Villas, Glacier Canyon, Club Wyndham Access
When talking to Telesales 2 months ago to make a PIC purchase to get to Gold I was told that the VIP levels were going to be changing soon. This was told to me after I already was in the process of making the purchase, so I tend to believe that it wasn't completely made up. I heard it at another update last month as well, although I was surprised that nothing was said to me this past Monday when I was attending an update at Glacier Canyon. Nobody who talked to me knew any details other than the points for each level were going up.

If the point are indeed going up and those who are currently Gold are "Grandfathered", given the new levels, it seems reasonable that we should be grandfathered at the Diamond level since we would have enough points to be Platinum without any grandfathering. However, reasonable and Wyndham do not always go together, I know.

Manzana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
National Harbor
CWA
I know the sales weasels lie!!! But when they share info without trying to sell me something, I get to where I can’t tell if they are really lying or are they just lost in the previous lies.

Went to an update today at Emerald Grande, Destin. Update part was normal except for where the presenter mentioned the new VIP levels that were announced (apparently only to sales) on 5/1/19 effective in 2020. In the individual meeting, I received a bit more detail.
400K for Gold
700k for Platinum
1000K for Diamond
1400K for Titanium
Our salesperson even pulled out the note they received and flashed it in front of our eyes. It looked like it would be shared with Owners on 5/16/19. I had already had a bit of a contentious conversation with the weasel and was unable to snap a picture of the letter. I also was not given time to read any of the FAQs.

I am Gold so I asked about how this would impact me.
- Would I now be 'new' Platinum? Only if I bought 64K points.
- Well, what about my current Gold benefits? I’d be Grandfathered.
- Are New Platinum VIP benefits, at the new lower point level the same benefits as current day Platinum owners? Don’t know.

At this point we were lost in the weeds and the salesperson seemed lost as well. We never saw an option for buying more points and were rushed off to gifting. It was an odd ending to the update. Unless they were just totally BSing us, we are going to start hearing and seeing more on this change. Hopefully those attending update sessions in the coming days can gather a bit more info on this change.

Side note. The part of our individual session that got contentious was when the salesperson tried to tell me I'd missed the open enrollment period earlier in the year. What open enrollment period? For what new benefits? 5 things I was told. 1. New Perks (I have perks), 2. Club Pass changes (ie. 10 months for WorldMark reservations), 3. New Rewards Card (they wanted me to apply for a new Rewards card, I'm not doing that), 4. Plus Partners (have that, never saw any value for using) and 5. WWE or World Wide Exchange (I never understood what this was about and I'm sure it's a scam of some sort).

I always enjoy reading about updates. Thought I'd share this one, as odd as it was. The breakfast was good, BTW.

Interesting Looks like they are adding a level called Emerald at the old 300k Changing the name of Silver Gold and Platinum to Gold Platinum and Diamond at the same levels and adding a level called Titanium at 1400k. So if this is correct the levels are not increasing in fact they are just being renamed and 2 levels being added. 1 below what silver is now and 1 above what platinum is now. So the new lower level gives a discount of 15% in the discount window. I would be interested to see what the Discount would be for the Titanium level at 1400k. If it goes like the other steps have gone it would be a minimum of 65% discount during the window.

What would you like to see as new benefits.

I would love no discount window or maybe no upgrade window. both would be asking too much...LOL

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I just don't see it happening like that. Wyndham isn't going to lower those point levels, if anything they would raise them. Also I don't see Wyndham mixing jewel levels with the metal levels; that would be inconsistent and just messy. In other posts I've seen it suggested that should Wyndham raise the levels there might be a new lower Bronze level and a new higher Titanium level. That is much more believable.

There has been a lot of talk about this recently in a Facebook group too. Until someone produces something in writing from Wyndham corporate I'm calling it the typical sales b.s. With more and more people being computer and internet savvy it is far too easy for people to find out that they can buy resale points for pennies on the dollar. Salespeople are getting more desperate and their lies more ridiculous.

Silver 400,000 - 699,999 Points
Gold 700,000 - 999,999 Points
Platinum 1,000,000 Points or More

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
This was at Emerald Grand, hence I think that is what started the Emerald. Makes me think the whole thing is just plain rubbish.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I’ve heard enough chatter from people who’ve been to updates recently about changes to VIP that it seems there could be something to it, but those proposed levels seem bananas to me. Except for an even lower tier with smaller discounts - that makes a lot of sense from a sales perspective.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I just don't see it happening like that. Wyndham isn't going to lower those point levels, if anything they would raise them. I don't see Wyndham mixing jewel levels with the metal levels; that would be inconsistent and just messy. In other posts I've seen it suggested that should Wyndham raise the levels there might be a new lower Bronze level and a new higher Titanium level. That is much more believable.

I was thinking the same thing. Are emeralds less valuable than gold?

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting Looks like they are adding a level called Emerald at the old 300k Changing the name of Silver Gold and Platinum to Gold Platinum and Diamond at the same levels and adding a level called Titanium at 1400k. So if this is correct the levels are not increasing in fact they are just being renamed and 2 levels being added. 1 below what silver is now and 1 above what platinum is now. So the new lower level gives a discount of 15% in the discount window. I would be interested to see what the Discount would be for the Titanium level at 1400k. If it goes like the other steps have gone it would be a minimum of 65% discount during the window.

What would you like to see as new benefits.

I would love no discount window or maybe no upgrade window. both would be asking too much...LOL
This changing of names plus the 2 new levels were the take away that my wife had. But that only works if there is some type of sales ploy here for the 3 middle levels. Example, if you are Gold today, you'll have certain 'new' Platinum features and with a small purchase, you'll get the rest of the 'new' Platinum features. And, of course, with just a few more points purchased, you'll be Diamond.

Just wanted to share what I learned and ask that members of the forum share what they are learning in this regard. It could get crazy if they drop a change that really confuses people for the purpose of generating new sales. If nothing happens by the end of May, I'll accept that the weasels were just BS'ing. That would not be a first!!!

As for Titanium, maybe 65% discount at 75 days. That might get some 1M point owners to jump on up to 1.4M.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spending 20-30k to jump up a level of VIP status just makes no sense to me financially. But then again all my purchases have been resale at $100-300 each closing costs included.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Yes there will most likely be two new levels introduced as Jan mentioned, from what I’ve heard from people inside and outside of sales. Names haven’t been finalized yet, but there will be a lower level around 300k points with a 15% discount or thereabouts and a new premium level around 1.5MM points with a 60% discount or thereabouts.

There is a lot of discussion about actually improving VIP benefits as part of this change. There will most likely be an announcement in Q3 2019 timeframe though it could come sooner if the outstanding decision points are finalized. The effective date will not be until sometime in 2020 from what I have heard. Or they could drop the whole thing if the impact analytics numbers and estimates don’t pan out.

The decisions outstanding from what I know have to do with changes to the entire sales strategy to actually better encourage developer points purchases when compared to resale purchases and to drive down the disparity between these two choices. I’ve heard things from extending both the discount windows and the upgrade windows based upon levels - like 30 for bronze, 60 for silver, 90 for gold, 120 for platinum and 180 for titanium - for both windows. I’ve also heard of eliminating the discount window in entirety and only having an upgrade window tied to days. Meaning whatever VIP level you have would always have the points discount applied to all bookings. This one single change would drive developer points purchases up because when you can get to VIPP at 50% points discounts for ALL bookings then an equivalent resale owner would have to buy twice the points to compete and the break-even would fall to about ten years on average after which resale actually becomes more expensive due to much higher annual MFs. This doesn’t count free upgrades into the mix either.

I would like to see something like this occur with respect to the elimination of the points discount windows and the expansion of the upgrade windows. There are also other benefits changes under review but these are the ones that I felt were worthwhile mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether this happens or not, I have heard the sales people talking about new VIP levels potentially coming since the end of last year. Makes me think that some sort of change is coming...it'll be interesting to see how it's fleshed out, because, as stated above, the levels as described in this thread don't make sense (gems and metals)...then again, when does Wyndham do things that make sense?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
This one single change would drive developer points purchases up because when you can get to VIPP at 50% points discounts for ALL bookings then an equivalent resale owner would have to buy twice the points to compete and the break-even would fall to about ten years on average after which resale actually becomes more expensive due to much higher annual MFs. This doesn’t count free upgrades into the mix either.
This seems unlikely, as *someone* has to pay the MFs on the "missing" points, and my understanding is that that someone is the sales arm. It increases the value proposition of being VIP, sure, but it also significantly cuts into the margin for sales unless sales prices go up substantially, in turn erasing much of the value proposition of decreasing the spread between developer and secondary purchases.

In short: there is no free lunch.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I agree with Jan that mixing metals with gems is messy, however, that was the information I was given as well.

Couple other things to add. Since these have already been spilled on Facebook, I see no reason why I cannot share. My source did say this is all in flux. Nothing is set in stone until it’s announced. Tiers names can change, benefits can change, and what I’m about to list here can change. Keep that in mind.

First, it will no longer be called VIP. It will be renamed to Privileges. Stupid name in my opinion, but what do I know?

Second, there will be an Emerald status, but it will require a points purchase to get it, even if you already have the required 300,000 points. I am not sure if the same applies to the Diamond level. If they already have over 1.4 million, would they have to make another purchase to get Diamond status?

Third, They are doing away with unlimited housekeeping credits. I don’t know if that is for just lower levels, or all levels. I would just like to reiterate what someone already said. Existing VIPs will not lose their existing benefits. They will retain them and get any new ones. They will keep their unlimited housekeeping credits. The loss of unlimited housekeeping credits will apply to new VIPs after the changes.

Fourth, I specifically asked, if we upgrade to the next VIP level after the changes, will we lose the benefits we had before the changes. So if they take away unlimited housekeeping credits, will we lose them if we upgrade to the next level. They said no.

I also heard that the changes will not take effect until 2020. So if they decide to make another change, the day before they announce, they will have plenty of time to update the reservation system and website. There is little to keep them from deciding to eliminate Emerald status at the last minute. Or to add some benefit. If they want to take advantage of vacation season sales however, they better announce soon. I best guess would be May 15th. I could be completely wrong though.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Someone sent me this while I was typing my last post. She must have read my mind.
6479a1a4c07d3f792e5c9f33eb6e0822.jpg

Manzana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
National Harbor
CWA
As mentioned in a few threads here the upcoming changes with Wyndham have to do with the VIP levels. As much as I want to wait to see what is really going to happen I would love to get as much information from people who know first hand i.e. from an update or speaking personally to a Wyndham rep about the new program.

From what I have seen and heard. The new VIP program will be called Privileges. It will contain 5 levels. One a starter level from 300k-399k points called emerald which will include a 15% discount in the discount window. Also one higher level 1.4 million points and above called Titanium. This will include a 60% discount exclusive upgrade benefits and other benefits not yet mentioned.

Interesting to me is that the Emerald Level will be granted only with a purchase of additional ownership interest. There has been no mention that Titanium level would require additional retail purchase if you are already at that ownership level.

I would love any information that others have. Of course all of this can changed this is all just speculation until Wyndham comes out with the official word!!

Manzana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
National Harbor
CWA
From Cyrus24 Earlier
"Went to an update today at Emerald Grande, Destin. Update part was normal except for where the presenter mentioned the new VIP levels that were announced (apparently only to sales) on 5/1/19 effective in 2020. In the individual meeting, I received a bit more detail.
400K for Gold
700k for Platinum
1000K for Diamond
1400K for Titanium
Our salesperson even pulled out the note they received and flashed it in front of our eyes. It looked like it would be shared with Owners on 5/16/19. I had already had a bit of a contentious conversation with the weasel and was unable to snap a picture of the letter. I also was not given time to read any of the FAQs.”

In this case since there is no longer a Silver level. The unlimited housekeeping benefit would be still be around if you were Gold and above. Since the Silver level changed to Gold I would assume that the benefits still exist. I am not positive but in reading the document shown. The why buy today would be a little misdirection to get you upgrade to gold 700k today. Of course I haven’t spoken to a rep directly to ask them but would be interested in someone doing so. All these posts make me want to go to an update soon...LOL

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
In this case since there is no longer a Silver level. The unlimited housekeeping benefit would be still be around if you were Gold and above. Since the Silver level changed to Gold I would assume that the benefits still exist.

That is not how I read it. I read that they adding two new levels - one at the bottom and one at the top (for a total of five levels as noted in the pic), and the existing levels remain the same (subject to whatever the blurb about "unlimited housekeeping changing" means).

If I had to guess, I would say that new VIP members are going to have some limit on housekeeping, and with existing VIPG and VIPP members grandfathered in on unlimited.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
That is not how I read it. I read that they adding two new levels - one at the bottom and one at the top (for a total of five levels as noted in the pic), and the existing levels remain the same (subject to whatever the blurb about "unlimited housekeeping changing" means).

Right, You keep the unlimited housekeeping credits if you are currently VIP Silver (soon to be renamed to Gold) or above.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's going to get wild.... I just told my wife that we may have to do another update next week in PCB.

Xcalibur

Reaction score
I spoke with wyndham today while making another booking. essentially was told that hypothetically speaking...

1) your current status would be transferred to the similar coverage. e.g. silver to gold, gold to platinum, etc... so, your coverage would not get downgraded
1b) they are essentially creating more tiers to have different privileges
2) the email was sent may 1st
3) they are looking at backend of 2020 to implement

lady i spoke to was quite helpful. didn't commit to anything, but actually pulled up the email and replied to my concerns about the changes. all 'hypothetically speaking', 'if that were to happen' stuff. Anyway, thought I'd share my experiences with you all. In retrospect, probably should have asked for more details on the programs (not that they are set in stone yet.)