• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Oceanside Pier

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from a week in Oceanside.. I stayed a few nights at this resort. It was fantastic. Great rooms, top notch.
95% of the 2bd rooms are oceanview or oceanfront.

I'll take this resort over any other So Cal resort. Area not nearly as upscale as Marriott Newport, but you are ON the beach.

Once the Westin opens , oceanside will be even nicer.

Pool is a little small, but was never overly crowded, you don't need a huge pool, when you are at an oceanfront resort.

The only disappointment was they do not have BBQ's.

I think once this resort becomes well known, it could command very good rental rates.. in the Marriott range.

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know, looking for Hawaii alternatives

My wife and I love visiting Hawaii. We had hoped to go every year but the price of plane tickets could change that, very depressing for us. So we are looking for vacations that somewhat give us what we enjoy in Hawaii.

I am not a huge water sport person but I enjoy being by the water, sitting by the beach or having a romantic drink with my wife at a restaurant by the ocean. We both enjoy having places to see and things to do but we are trying to get away from being gone from sun up to sun down. I love photography so I enjoy all kinds of beautiful scenery.

Being from Albuquerque we can drive to San Diego in around 13 hours, so this saves a bunch. I am guessing there are several charming beach towns and I am aware of all the major theme parks in Southern Cal. I have heard there are some charming mountain towns as well. My guess is we can stay pretty busy. What I am looking for in a resort is a place where we do not mind staying in the room or where there are a lot of nice places to hang out within walking distance or a fairly short drive.

We own Wyndam and VI. The VI property is Marina Inn and it seems like not a lot of rooms available. The Wyndam property seems much nicer. We would generally vacation toward the end of September or early October. Heard the water would probably still be fairly warm and weather not too bad that time of the year. Right now San Diego seems like such a let down from Hawaii, but I am hoping we could really enjoy vacations in Souther Cal. I heard Oceanside is not the greatest of towns but where the resorts are most likely are very nice. Any reports of enjoyable vacations at new places we are considering are very encouraging to us.

Gary

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Another alternative, though you probably would have to fly there, is the Sanibel/ Captiva Island, Florida area. Marco Island would also be nice.

I was also thinking about alternatives to Hawaii for a few weeks there, when airfare seemed so outrageous, then I saw a United sale at $664 to HNL RT, with taxes, and the hops weren't that expensive, so I think we are going to stick with Hawaii for at least another year or two. I can cook more at home to save some cash, plus I can cook more on the trip. If airfare only costs us another $200 or less, I don't see skipping Hawaii. :)

Try watching sidestep.com for a few days, entering various Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during the months you want to travel, and I think you will see some good airfare prices.

Sorry I hi-jacked your thread, Dave. But I did want to ask if that is the Worldmark Oceanside resort I see on II? Did you get it with your week 26?

Steve

Reaction score
The Wyndham resort and the WorldMark resort in Oceanside are two completely separate resorts located several miles apart in different neighborhoods. The Wyndham is newer, nicer, and definitely has a better location than the WorldMark. (I think the WorldMark location is the pits as it is right off of I-5, next to the railroad tracks, and next to a tacky old motel...but it is within walking distance of the harbor and the beach.)

In contrast, the Wyndham is located in the heart of town by the pier. To get to the beach, you simply cross the street and go down the bluff. It's a very nice, sandy beach with a lot of palm trees.

However, Oceanside is not my favorite Southern California beach town. Far from it. The city is agressively trying to improve their beachfront/downtown area...and they need to. Much of Oceanside remains rundown and a bit seedy, although it is slowly getting better.

If you want a charming place to stay in the greater San Diego area, I would suggest you consider Carlsbad or Del Mar. Both of these communities have quaint downtowns with charming shops and restaurants. Carlsbad in particular has some very nice timeshares...and Del Mar has a couple as well. These are the communities...along with the Marriott in Newport Beach...that I personally enjoy for timeshare stays on my frequent trips to Southern California.

My absolute favorite place in California, however, is Santa Barbara. It's gorgeous and secluded and a world apart. There aren't any timeshares, but it is well worth a visit if you haven't been.

Steve

Last edited:

RichM

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wyndham resort and the WorldMark resort in Oceanside are two completely separate resorts located several miles apart in different neighborhoods.

Actually, the two resorts are only 1.3 miles apart (driving) and just barely 1 mile apart as the crow flies.

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just did notice two Wyndam choices

There is the Worldmark property and the newer Oceanside pier property.

I really do want to continue to go to Hawaii and if we can get airfare for around two grand then we will continue to go. The last two trips cost around $1,200 so I have budgeted for some hefty increases.

If we continue to go to Hawaii I will use our VI timeshare, if not I may be in the market for something different. We do like to go where there are Wyndam properties. We go to Vegas every year for the Mountain West Conference Basketball Tournament so we may start adding a couple days to that trip and check out Zion national park and the St. George area.

We, like much the rest of the world, do not have unlimited funds so we have to think hard about our choices. We should be able to go on at least three one week vacations per year (we stay longer when going to Hawaii) so we will be trying different places. Tahoe still interests me as does the Pacific Northwest.

Although my retirement is around the corner I am starting a photography business so maybe I will have to be a little more aggressive in building the business to cover the higher fuel prices.

I will say this, timeshares have totally changed how we view vacations. We can hardly stay in a room anymore! I think with an open mind (and wallet :hysterical:) we will find a lot of nice places to vacation.

Gary