• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham not returning Guest Confirmations due to COVID19 cancellations.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Yes, they're returning points (obviously) as well as Reservation Transactions, but not Guest Confirmations as a matter of course.

Very bummed about this...if they're handing me a forced cancellation why wouldn't they be returning those as well?

jumoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same thing for points protection. No refund. Ownercare nicely explained it to me two ways.
1. You were planning on taking the trip, so you bought the protection in case you had to cancel. You chose to buy the protection.
2. The government forced us to cancel your reservation, we had no choice.
I got both answers from the same ownercare person.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am ok with not getting back GC or Points Protection. While not completely happy, it could be a lot worse and I am only out 2 GCs in the mix. I am surprised and pleased that they basically are refunded all of the points and fees, even those that would be past the cancellation point.

I felt that if that was all I lost in the deal It would not be that bad, for me at least.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Isn't the purpose of Points Protection to get your points back in the case you need to cancel? You needed to cancel. This is the problem with giving back all points with no restrictions to everyone. Those that bought insurance really didn't need to since they are giving points back to those that didn't buy the insurance. Why buy the insurance?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
a few years ago I would have had to eat hundreds of guest confirmation fees,

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some politicians want to forgive government college loans.

Shouldn't they also refund money that others paid for college?

Not much of a voice for that. I guess the ones that paid out of pocket by whatever means or paid their loans off faster are not important.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Wyndham not refunding guest confirmation fees has always been a pet peeve of mine. Still don't know where that money goes, but they sure don't like to give it up. Very rarely do they. One would think in this circumstance they would, but nope. I am thankful they've been proactive about allowing the cancellations. I am likely going to end up with significant credit pool points expiring. I don't agree with not letting us move those forward. Their logic of 'I had 3 years to use them' doesn't fly with me. I did use them (a year ago - to hold my April 2020 reservations). Hoping they will reconsider their stance on that since the closures have now been pushed out even further, making it nearly impossible to book anything before they'll expire.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some politicians want to forgive government college loans.

Shouldn't they also refund money that others paid for college?
Not much of a voice for that. I guess the ones that paid out of pocket by whatever means or paid their loans off faster are not important.

Good grief! I thought I was going out on a limb asking for opinions if maintenance fees should be returned.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look on the bright side of things. Losing $100 on a GC or $49 for points protection is less costly then buying developer points. You can buy a lot of Gift Certificates and points protection with the savings of a resale purchase.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham not refunding guest confirmation fees has always been a pet peeve of mine. Still don't know where that money goes, but they sure don't like to give it up. Very rarely do they. One would think in this circumstance they would, but nope. I am thankful they've been proactive about allowing the cancellations. I am likely going to end up with significant credit pool points expiring. I don't agree with not letting us move those forward. Their logic of 'I had 3 years to use them' doesn't fly with me. I did use them (a year ago - to hold my April 2020 reservations). Hoping they will reconsider their stance on that since the closures have now been pushed out even further, making it nearly impossible to book anything before they'll expire.

No loop hole to push them forward? Or use those points to book the reservations closest that you still have. A cancel and rebook just to adjust what points are being used when.

I guess their thought is if everyone gets their points extended then there would be no availability next year for everyone to be able to book. Too many points chasing too few reservations.

Before Corona Virus was an issue I had Wyndham Rewards points (that I traded wyndham timeshare points for 4 year ago) were set to expire end of January. I booked some place holder reservations that I might use. Then cancelled them but the points expiration was reset for 4 more years. I still have a week the end of May spread out over 4 hotels and 10 days in September that are up in the air but I expect the same trick to work on the hotel side.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
No loop hole to push them forward? Or use those points to book the reservations closest that you still have. A cancel and rebook just to adjust what points are being used when.

I guess their thought is if everyone gets their points extended then there would be no availability next year for everyone to be able to book. Too many points chasing too few reservations.

Before Corona Virus was an issue I had Wyndham Rewards points (that I traded wyndham timeshare points for 4 year ago) were set to expire end of January. I booked some place holder reservations that I might use. Then cancelled them but the points expiration was reset for 4 more years. I still have a week the end of May spread out over 4 hotels and 10 days in September that are up in the air but I expect the same trick to work on the hotel side.
All the extra availability may make it very hard to book period.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Tell me more about this loophole.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look on the bright side of things. Losing $100 on a GC or $49 for points protection is less costly then buying developer points. You can buy a lot of Gift Certificates and points protection with the savings of a resale purchase.
The cost versus benefit

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because 99 times out of 100, a short notice cancellation means you lose your points. Insurance is always a probability-about-the-future game, while hindsight is always 20-20.
But look at it in a positive way. 99% of those who do not buy insurance did not loose their points. It was a pleasant surprise that they are going this far. Thy are loosing all their revenues from all those extras. They did lower the transaction fee.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always had a problem with them offering insurance.

By allowing cancellations so close to check-in, it puts points back into the pool that will be competing for new bookings, while releasing rooms that may not be booked.

Where does the money go?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always had a problem with them offering insurance.

By allowing cancellations so close to check-in, it puts points back into the pool that will be competing for new bookings, while releasing rooms that may not be booked.

Where does the money go?
To the bottom line.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

A wing and a prayer things open back up before May 18th and people want to travel. Actually, there are people that would travel if they could. I'll sure try, we'll see how it goes. (No loopholes that I know of :)

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand fixed week owners who got their week cancelled lose out completely. They get nothing. They get screwed for owning fixed weeks.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I understand fixed week owners who got their week cancelled lose out completely. They get nothing. They get screwed for owning fixed weeks.

Well, I guess they need to cancel their 2021 MF payments too. Services could not be delivered as agreed and then the resorts have the gall to not compensate? I truly hope this wouldn’t be true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own fixed weeks at Hollywood Beach Resort.

In 2005 we owned one week when hurricane Wilma damaged the resort. We couldn't use it one year and had to pay mf plus an assessment of $1600.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess they need to cancel their 2021 MF payments too. Services could not be delivered as agreed and then the resorts have the gall to not compensate? I truly hope this wouldn’t be true.
If your house is damaged by a tornado or hurricane it’s still your house while the repairs are being made.
You still pay property tax & HOA fees[if you have an HOA] during that timeframe also