• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham National Harbor

cruzad3r

Reaction score
does anyone know how much MF for this TS per week? thanks

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
whatever it is, keep in mind that this resort is in sales mode and mf are likely being subsidized by the developer to keep them low and attractive.

cruzad3r

Reaction score
whatever it is, keep in mind that this resort is in sales mode and mf are likely being subsidized by the developer to keep them low and attractive.

so how much is it? do you know, anyone?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
so how much is it? do you know, anyone?

Im not sure exactly, but in the neighborhood of $4,20/1000 points

And I disagree with those that say it will go up after the place sells out...Wyndham doesnt subsidize anything. They do have to support the place until they sell out, but you can bet that they dont pay anymore than they have too.....Point inflation is why the mf is lower at this place than some others and not any subsidy

cruzad3r

Reaction score
Ron, is that 4 dollars and 20 cents. so assuming you need 150k for a whole week then your MF is $630?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
But if you are looking to stay there the only whole weeks you could get for under 175k (in a one bedroom deluxe) are weeks 2-7, 36, and 50. I don't know how they sneaked week 36 as a value week because the weather is nice in early September.

cruzad3r

Reaction score
i'm only staying there 3 nights and around mid april. was trying to make sure i come up with a fair price. thanks

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
But if you are looking to stay there the only whole weeks you could get for under 175k (in a one bedroom deluxe) are weeks 2-7, 36, and 50. I don't know how they sneaked week 36 as a value week because the weather is nice in early September.

its the week school starts

cruzad3r

Reaction score
so my understanding is that you don't have to own at the national harbor to stay there. as long as you have enough points, you can book the time, given there are availability during the time you want to book/stay.

is there any addon fee, like service, cleaning, guest cert? for when you book 2-3 nights interval?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
so my understanding is that you don't have to own at the national harbor to stay there. as long as you have enough points, you can book the time, given there are availability during the time you want to book/stay.

is there any addon fee, like service, cleaning, guest cert? for when you book 2-3 nights interval?

Are you an owner of Wyndham points. If so it sounds like you need to spend some time with the Wyndham Members Directory

Your understanding here is correct..If you have enough Wyndham points you can make a reservation at National Harbor, subject to availability. If that is your intention then it doesnt matter what the maintenance fees are at National Harbor

If you are looking for information so that you can negotiate a fair rental price with a Wyndham owner, I think you are wasting your time. It doesnt matter what the owner pays for his points when he goes to rent something. What matters is the market and how bad he needs the money..

In my case I want to make a profit, but thats not how I set prices.. I base my prices on a supply and demand basis, and I try to be fair. I rent some of my stuff for as much as 4 times my mf and other stuff at a loss. At the end of the year I usually have made enough profit to convince me to do it again another year.

Last edited:

cruzad3r

Reaction score
Are you an owner of Wyndham points. If so it sounds like you need to spend some time with the Wyndham Members Directory

Your understanding here is correct..If you have enough Wyndham points you can make a reservation at National Harbor, subject to availability. If that is your intention then it doesnt matter what the maintenance fees are at National Harbor

If you are looking for information so that you can negotiate a fair rental price with a Wyndham owner, I think you are wasting your time. It doesnt matter what the owner pays for his points when he goes to rent something. What matters is the market and how bad he needs the money..

In my case I want to make a profit, but thats not how I set prices.. I base my prices on a supply and demand basis, and I try to be fair. I rent some of my stuff for as much as 4 times my mf and other stuff at a loss. At the end of the year I usually have made enough profit to convince me to do it again another year.

BRUTALLY honest :D

so when you rent out your points, what are some of the expense that you have to consider? also what are some of the expense that the renter have to be responsible?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
When you set a price for a rental, you have to consider the market. Check listing sites -- Craig's List, RedWeek.com, eBay, for example. See what other similar rentals are listed for. If you focus solely on what the reservation cost you, you may never make a sale.

Knowing your expenses is important when trying to determine whether to rent, and in determining whether you made or lost in the transaction, and in doing taxes. Typical expenses are maintenance fees, real estate taxes if billed separately, listing fees (advertising), final value fees (eBay), PayPal commissions.

You may find that you can't rent a particular week and make a profit. Move on. Don't book the reservation. Try to book "event weeks" or weekends where you can add a premium (what auto dealers call a "market value adjustment" for popular models).

so when you rent out your points, what are some of the expense that you have to consider? also what are some of the expense that the renter have to be responsible?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

My expenses are maintenance fee, and my purchase price amortized over several years...also my wife's hair dresser, and my dogs vet bill. but that stuff isnt important to anyone but me, and I cant use those expenses to justify the price I set

I do pretty much what Jim says in his post....I poll the market and come up with a price thats less than what my competition is charging. If that price works and it makes me happy thats what I go with. And also as Jim suggests, I dont provide cheap getaway weekends. I provide luxury accommodations for special events....as I say in my ads...better than a hotel,,,but cheaper

The only expense my customer has to consider is my fee

cruzad3r

Reaction score
i am not a wyndham owner but i would like to rent before i buy wyndham points. people said before you jump into buying, you should rent to see if this is something you would like to own as it's easier to buy then sell. hence, i was asking about the rental process and all the expenses that are coming along with it. my thought is when an owner trying to rent out his TS, his main concern is to recoup his MF; which is why i asked about the MF. also from the renter perspective, i believe there are expenses like room service, guest certificate, parking, etc...

so for those veteran WH owners, please help me understand the process. thanks in advance.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now it's Cherry Blossom Festival season at National Harbor. The blossoms have started already and peak is predicted for March 24-31. The opening ceremony is March 25. That will probably be a high demand weekend. In fact when I check reservations, there's nothing open for the 21st through the 26th. In April, it looks like the 7th through the 14th is also completely booked. If someone has a room to rent during those times, they can charge whatever the market will bear. Their expenses are whatever the maintenance fees are for the used points for whichever resort where they own (not for National Harbor unless that's where they own) plus the guest certificate for their renter.

If a Wyndham owner wanted to rent a room at National Harbor in February they would be lucky to find anyone looking to rent; so they would most likely have to charge less than cost to own to find someone willing to pay.

It's an open market driven by demand as well as expenses. You wouldn't want to try and rent during a time with little demand - unless you had points that you could not use and ran out of time to do anything with them.

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
From a renter perspective, whatever price your negotiating should include the guest certificate. Some resorts charge a parking fee, and you could call the front desk of the resort to inquire about that.

The MF per 1,000 at National Harbour is probably irrelevant for this discussion, because whomever you're renting from may not own points there - their points would have a different rate.

Also, you can forget about room service. :)

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
i am not a wyndham owner but i would like to rent before i buy wyndham points. people said before you jump into buying, you should rent to see if this is something you would like to own as it's easier to buy then sell. hence, i was asking about the rental process and all the expenses that are coming along with it. my thought is when an owner trying to rent out his TS, his main concern is to recoup his MF; which is why i asked about the MF. also from the renter perspective, i believe there are expenses like room service, guest certificate, parking, etc...

so for those veteran WH owners, please help me understand the process. thanks in advance.

Wyndham owners pay maintenance fees to their home resort owners association (they keep the resort running and well maintained) and a membership fee to Wyndham (they run the system that let's us use points in all the Wyndham resorts). Wyndham charges us fees to use some features of their system such as guest certificates, pooling our points, using the RCI exchange system, etc.

There is no room service at the Wyndham resorts. Almost all of them have either a full kitchen or kitchenette and we either eat out or cook in. Some of the urban resorts such as National Harbor have a parking fee. Most of the resorts have free parking.

I think if you can rent points from an owner for $5 to $7, you will be getting a fair deal. It depends on demand for when you want to travel. If you can hook up with a Platinum VIP owner who can possibly get your reservation during his discount period, you might use less points for your stay and, thus, save some money that way.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that some resorts also have a small daily "resort fee". The one Wyndham I know about is Kingsgate in Williamsburg. In past some may have charged for internet service, but I think they have it free now.

cruzad3r

Reaction score
so i'll be staying around 4/18 and onward so i don't think it's in "demand" season. also i checked the wyndham website and i do see rooms available.
has anyone here stayed there and can you comment on the location/accommodations at this place?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
so i'll be staying around 4/18 and onward so i don't think it's in "demand" season. also i checked the wyndham website and i do see rooms available.
has anyone here stayed there and can you comment on the location/accommodations at this place?

There are several prolonged threads in the Wyndham section. Lots of posts, lots of opinions. About most things, not just NatHarbor.

Pardon me for saying so and I may be overly harsh, but if you are considering jumping into the timeshare business, you should get used to doing your own research first. TUGsters can be extraordinarily helpful but like to see that people have spent some time trying to learn the basics.

cruzad3r

Reaction score
i'm not sure i follow and i dont think you were harsh. as a first time TS renter, i would like to know as much about it as i can. more specifically regarding this location and its accommodations. if you've stayed there, please share your experience. it's the same as you posted your review on tripadvisor.com

thanks

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
i'm not sure i follow and i dont think you were harsh. as a first time TS renter, i would like to know as much about it as i can. more specifically regarding this location and its accommodations. if you've stayed there, please share your experience. it's the same as you posted your review on tripadvisor.com

thanks

We do have a section where reviews are shared. You have to become a TUG member first though (or you can look on tripadvisor as you commented).

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at National Harbor for a couple of nights to see what it's like in February 2010. I have some pictures of the surroundings http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/cans20772/National Harbor - February 2010/

It was winter and very cold. There were no flowers and no water taxis. It should be much nicer in April. You could take a water taxi to visit DC.

We didn't like having to pay for parking and when we were there, the only restaurants open were rather expensive and more like for a night out rather than for a family meal.

The resort is very nice and clean. You should expect to pay more in points for higher up in the building or for a room with a balcony.

What specifically do you want to know about the units? They include a kitchen/dining area, bathroom, bedroom and living room. They felt new in February 2010.

You can see floorplans on the extraholidays site, but you might get better rental rates from owners http://www.extraholidays.com/washington-dc/wyndham-vacation-resorts-national-harbor.aspx

Last edited:

cruzad3r

Reaction score
We stayed at National Harbor for a couple of nights to see what it's like in February 2010. I have some pictures of the surroundings http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/cans20772/National Harbor - February 2010/

It was winter and very cold. There were no flowers and no water taxis. It should be much nicer in April. You could take a water taxi to visit DC.

We didn't like having to pay for parking and when we were there, the only restaurants open were rather expensive and more like for a night out rather than for a family meal.

The resort is very nice and clean. You should expect to pay more in points for higher up in the building or for a room with a balcony.

What specifically do you want to know about the units? They include a kitchen/dining area, bathroom, bedroom and living room. They felt new in February 2010.

You can see floorplans on the extraholidays site, but you might get better rental rates from owners http://www.extraholidays.com/washington-dc/wyndham-vacation-resorts-national-harbor.aspx

thanks Cheryl for the info. you are what make online forums a great place to be.

were you staying in the 1BR? does it have a full kitchen and washer/dryer?