• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Maintenance fees should they be paid if you're not able to book reservations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
I believe, like Wes that the more realistic issue is all those unused points competing for future Inventory.

We went ahead and kept our reservation at wyndham Smokey Mountains this week and it is a ghost town. An average of 3 cars parked per building .. probably 95% vacant. This during spring break. All those unused weeks will have to be used later this year or next.

Will non-vip owners be allowed to push points forward to next year? Will Wyndham be able to make some kind of deal to boost inventory from elsewhere for fall, winter or next spring? I doubt this last point but if they could do anything it seems that would be the thing to do.

BTW the closures in the area have given us the opportunity to do more of what was intended for the area .. walk / hike the park trails to view nature and the falls.

i hope the Black bears are practicing social distancing too.

Bob

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Will non-vip owners be allowed to push points forward to next year?

We already can right now and for the next week (assuming a January use year) without any special change in policy. I guess your question is, will Wyndham extend the window to do so?

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
We already can right now and for the next week (assuming a January use year) without any special change in policy. I guess your question is, will Wyndham extend the window to do so?
Yes .. looks likely to need an extension this time.

Bob

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes absolutely!!!! Wyndham should. The only problem is you can still make reservations. I'm up to April of 2021.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pay your fees. Period. I have 3 vacation rental properties and 10 timeshare weeks. I am paying ALL my fees because 1) I am contractually liable, AND its the right thing to do.

Roll your points forward, put them into RCI. We are lucky we have options.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pay your fees. Period. I have 3 vacation rental properties and 10 timeshare weeks. I am paying ALL my fees because 1) I am contractually liable, AND its the right thing to do.

Roll your points forward, put them into RCI. We are lucky we have options.
What about the newlyweds that got roped into a ownership and just cannot afford to pay? Maybe they were laid off and have to choose between buying groceries or paying for nonessential travel or maintenance fees?
Its easy to post your opinion under financial circumstances different from another that is struggling to just pay utilities let alone maintenance fees on a ownership many on here scream to rescind.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the newlyweds that got roped into a ownership and just cannot afford to pay? Maybe they were laid off and have to choose between buying groceries or paying for nonessential travel or maintenance fees?
Its easy to post your opinion under financial circumstances different from another that is struggling to just pay utilities let alone maintenance fees on a ownership many on here scream to rescind.
Then you call Wyndham and work something out. Unless a flying saucer would land on her foot.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then you call Wyndham and work something out. Unless a flying saucer would land on her foot.

Ray Don't be silly UFO's are in the same category as believing Wyndham sales staff dont tell alot of half truths and lies to get many to buy. You really believe it is that easy to call Wyndham and work it out? If you do I have a bridge to sell you.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ray Don't be silly UFO's are in the same category as believing Wyndham sales staff dont tell alot of half truths and lies to get many to buy. You really believe it is that easy to call Wyndham and work it out? If you do I have a bridge to sell you.
Yes. You may not like it but yes.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. You may not like it but yes.

Yes you believe in UFO'S or the sales weasels never tell half truths and are very deceptive when selling a product at $150/1000 but only offer $0/1000 when giving back Ovations?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes you believe in UFO'S or the sales weasels never tell half truths and are very deceptive when selling a product at $150/1000 but only offer $0/1000 when giving back Ovations?
That is YOUR choice not Wyndhams. Like I said you might not like it.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is YOUR choice not Wyndhams. Like I said you might not like it.

Im very sure if you call they can help you out. I believe the first option would be by selling you more points that can be rented out to pay for all your maintenance fees.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

What is your purpose in playing the devil's advocate in something that you by your own admission have chosen not to be involved in? This whole thread gives the appearance of inciting owners to stop paying their maintenance fees and loan payments. No one is buying your supposed "sympathy" for these unknown people in hypothetical situations. An administrator made his thoughts on this thread very clear and yet you still persist.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I’m going to have to go with the majority here. The resorts have operating costs regardless of if the guests are there or not. Many resorts have contracted services that are a flat rate. For example, they may contract with a trash company that says they will pick up X amount of trash. If they pick up less trash, they don’t get a refund unless it’s written into the contract that they do. So they pay a flat rate even if they don’t use their services. So their costs are the same in many cases, regardless of if we are there or not. Many do it that way, because they get a cheaper rate on services. Also, if Wyndham allows us to roll points to next year, we are still getting use of those points so we should pay the maintenance fees on them. If we lost them, I would be disappointed but would understand that the resort still has bills to pay.

Some resorts may reduce their fees, but the ones who rent out rooms for additional income, may have to increase the fees to make up for lost income. It depends on how they use that rental income. If they use it to subsidize maintenance costs for everyone, they will likely see an increase to make up for the money they lost. If they rent it out just to pay the maintenance costs of those units they rent, there may not be any increase because the costs to maintain a room that is not used is lower. They may just absorb that cost. We won’t know until next year. All this is just speculation on my part.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
The obvious answer is if you can’t pay, don’t.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The obvious answer is if you can’t pay, don’t.
What about the strategy of Wyndham selling them more points. Owner can then rent additional points to pay all their maintenance fees. Problem solved? Or bigger problem created? Is this even a logical option.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the strategy of Wyndham selling them more points. Owner can then rent additional points to pay all their maintenance fees. Problem solved? Or bigger problem created? Is this even a logical option.
Is THAT what has made you so sour to WYNDHAM? You were one of those who bought based on renting? We're you a renter?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Not really following your logic. Here you seem to think people are stupid enough to buy excess points to get into the rental/hotel business; yet in other posts you speculate about Wyndham and other hotel companies going broke. If the professionals can make it, why would individuals try to compete against them..?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not really following your logic. Here you seem to think people are stupid enough to buy excess points to get into the rental/hotel business; yet in other posts you speculate about Wyndham and other hotel companies going broke. If the professionals can make it, why would individuals try to compete against them..?
Its obvious to pay maintenance fees that they can't afford. Wouldn't it be better then walking away costing all owners?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Its obvious to pay maintenance fees that they can't afford. Wouldn't it be better then walking away costing all owners?
I don’t think you are seriously recommending that people who can’t pay their current MF’s should buy more points (thereby increasing their MF’s) and should go into the hotel room rental business and compete with companies that (in one of your other threads) you seem to think are going out of business. Obviously there is only one avenue for those who can no longer afford to pay MF’s: that is to stop paying. Not go deeper into debt.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think you are seriously recommending that people who can’t pay their current MF’s should buy more points (thereby increasing their MF’s) and should go into the hotel room rental business and compete with companies that (in one of your other threads) you seem to think are going out of business. Obviously there is only one avenue for those who can no longer afford to pay MF’s: that is to stop paying. Not go deeper into debt.
This has been a sales pitch of Wyndham's for years. It also has been a great revenue stream for Wyndham. Are you saying what they are doing is unethical and morally wrong?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This has been a sales pitch of Wyndham's for years. It also has been a great revenue stream for Wyndham. Are you saying what they are doing is unethical and morally wrong?
[/QUOTE]
No, I am saying what you are recommending is reckless and morally wrong: advising people who cannot pay their current bills to buy more Wyndham points incurring even larger MF’s to try and rent these points out in an environment when travel and hotel stays are being curtailed by government orders. What you are recommending is idiotic, but you already know that. Why are you really recommending this ridiculous course of action?

Status
Not open for further replies.