• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Kauai Beach not Wyndham

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I just dodged a bullet and want to share here as my hint of a problem came from a TUG post, but not here, and maybe it will help someone else.

Effective 1/1/2017 Wyndham no longer manages what used to be called Wyndham Kauai Beach Villas. No idea how it impacts reservations but it impacted my desire to own there.

I was in the process of buying my first HI timeshare. Actually the deed was going to be recorded today before I stumbled on problem over the weekend.

I thought I had done everything right. I even asked for Estoppel (VOID) before paying. The Wyndham VOID confirmed all details - showing next payment due in January (in closing would get final document).

After seeing something weird I googled and found conflicting info about the resort.

Wyndham web site today says it is Wyndham managed as did Platinum Reservations when I called today.

It wasn't until I called the resort directly that I was actually certain Wyndham had been fired by the HOA.

Closing company may have caught it when they sent deed to Wyndham but not sure about that.

I emailed the Seller. IMO they did not know about the change. They checked to confirm and immideately offered and processed a full refund to my credit card.

I shared all these details (sorry for long post) as I thought I did everything right and it was just a fluke that I caught it.

I have or will message every seller on eBay, marketplace, and redweek that is selling these so honest sellers will change ads. It might be a great resort, maybe even better without Wyndham, but just not for me.

slabeaume

Reaction score
Wyndham still has units there and you can still have your Wyndham home resort there. It just isn't managed by Wyndham anymore. But you can reserve units through the Wyndham site or by calling them. It is a nice resort. We've owned there since before Wyndham was the managing company. Not only are there Wyndham units there, but there are also the original Pahio units and a good number of units are privately owned. Not sure how GP is going to be able to use it for their members, but they do manage it now.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes and no - timeshares at the resort that were enrolled in Wyndham points during their tenure as the management company are still part of Wyndham.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
What difference does it make? I don't see a problem

Wyndham points contracts deeded here are still in the fairshare trust (the club) and the points can be used the same way as always

The Kauai Beach weeks are still the same weeks ownerships they always were.

The only difference is that the property is managed by someone else

This is no different than Fairfield Harbor
Or am I missing something

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In my opinion, it is easier to rent a Wyndham Kauai Beach Villa than a Kauai Beach Villa due to the Wyndham brand. That's also what made me more comfortable buying. I know the Wyndham (and Westin) brands very well and while I may like some other particular properties it's more of an unknown.

Plus when there is change there is change and no one knows what a change from Wyndham to GP will do to resort, staff, fees, priority, etc. I agree that owners there will still be owners there.

Maybe it will be great, maybe not, but wanted potential sellers and buyers to know that Wyndham KBV isn't managed by Wyndham and should not, IMO, be sold or rented as the "Wyndham KBV" because it is not that anymore.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
In my opinion, it is easier to rent a Wyndham Kauai Beach Villa than a Kauai Beach Villa due to the Wyndham brand. That's also what made me more comfortable buying. I know the Wyndham (and Westin) brands very well and while I may like some other particular properties it's more of an unknown.

Plus when there is change there is change and no one knows what a change from Wyndham to GP will do to resort, staff, fees, priority, etc. I agree that owners there will still be owners there.

Maybe it will be great, maybe not, but wanted potential sellers and buyers to know that Wyndham KBV isn't managed by Wyndham and should not, IMO, be sold or rented as the "Wyndham KBV" because it is not that anymore.

If you search Tug you'll find several threads that have discussed the changeover from Wyndham to Grand Pacific Resorts for about a year now. Wyndham was fired as the management company because they weren't doing a good enough job. It will be interesting to see, going forward, whether GPR does a better job. Time will tell.

Dave

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
I'm not sure that you are still interested.
Since you are a tug member, you can search for all the other KBV threads.
What size unit and what view were you on the verge of purchasing?
Jack

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not but thanks.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Fairfield harbor is no longer Fairfield managed or even Wyndham managed either and yet the resort still carries the Fairfield name

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is that what the front door sign says? Or the room bill?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that what the front door sign says? Or the room bill?
Typically a timeshare owner dosent get a bill after their stay
and the name on the sign makes no difference

I was looking at a map

the resort itself hasnt changed.. its still the same place, and what I own as a deeded owner stays the same even if the management changes,
and thats the point Im trying to make ... “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet.”

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairfield harbor is no longer Fairfield managed or even Wyndham managed either and yet the resort still carries the Fairfield name

I bet there are plenty of examples that support what you are saying Ron and I do not know the history of "Fairfield" at all.

That said, I did just look up "Fairfield Harbor" and in the Wyndham directory and it clearly states it is Not Managed by Wyndham and I believe that the property actually got its name based on the fact it is located in a very large area/community known as "Fairfield Harbor". It a really big, great looking, retirement area for the most part. The liquor store down the street is called Fairfield Harbor Liquors, the chamber of commerce is called the Fairfield Harbor Chamber of Commerce.

In this case I do not think the Fairfield is referring to the management company but rather the location. Much like the Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountain (which is Wyndham managed).

Again, I'm sure there is some mis-labeled properties in this often criticized timeshare industry we are in and I am not advocating us searching them out. But if we find one that appears to be potentially deceptive shouldn't we correct that before someone gets trapped into something they did not bargain for?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was looking at a map

Ron, my point exactly. That area where almost 3,000 people live is called Fairfield Harbor and not because Fairfield Hotel was once part of it.

Also whoever does own there (or KBV) knows what they have and no changes - agreed.

All I wanted to do was point out that I was accidentally scammed into thinking KBV was managed by Wyndham and as a person that had never been there I was buying there in large part to it being managed by Wyndham. IMO those renting or selling KBV should not include Wyndham in the name. If the sale comes with some Wyndham benefits like points to use elsewhere then that is totally appropriate to mention or even highlight.

I'm very happy with what most sellers have done to address this when I let them know what happened in my case.

I'm also happy to agree to disagree and let it be.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, my point exactly. That area where almost 3,000 people live is called Fairfield Harbor and not because Fairfield Hotel was once part of it.

Also whoever does own there (or KBV) knows what they have and no changes - agreed.

All I wanted to do was point out that I was accidentally scammed into thinking KBV was managed by Wyndham and as a person that had never been there I was buying there in large part to it being managed by Wyndham. IMO those renting or selling KBV should not include Wyndham in the name. If the sale comes with some Wyndham benefits like points to use elsewhere then that is totally appropriate to mention or even highlight.

I'm very happy with what most sellers have done to address this when I let them know what happened in my case.

I'm also happy to agree to disagree and let it be.

I may be wrong but I think the area is called Fairfield harbor for the same reason the area called Fairfield Glade is called Fairfield Glade and the area called Fairfield Bay is called Fairfield Bay

They all took their name from the timeshare developer that built a resort there

I don't think the seller "scammed" you. But I'm happy you are happy now

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
If you operate under the belief that people who are selling resale timeshares actually know anything about what they are selling you might feel like you are being scammed. However scamming implies intent to deceive/defraud. As the saying goes.... never assign to malice that which can be explained by ignorance.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My bad for poor choice of words when I said "accidently scammed" The seller was totally unaware Wyndham was out and awesome to work with once I pointed it out.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
It probably was for the best anyway - since even if Wyndham still was managed as KBV - I think you would have found it very hard to use as a rental. The resort is just so-so unless you are in a oceanview unit. And nothing about the change in mgt is likely to impact that.